PDA

View Full Version : Osceola Advice

red5033
02-02-2009, 23:12
Im planning on spending 3 days and two nights on and or around the FT in and around the Osceola National Forest this weekend. I Prefer to do a loop even if it means some forest roads versus a straight out and back. I'd like to log between 15 and 20 miles a day. Any thoughts, advise or suggestions are appreciated. Also, not sure how wet the trail will be this time of year. Ive driven around the forest in the spring and summer months and it was very wet then. Also, curious where the best place to park might be...

Thanks,
Red

JaxHiker
02-03-2009, 14:51
Hmm, the only loop I know of is the Nice Wander Loop but that's less than 2 miles. My buddy and I did about 25 mi last Oct. I was the lucky one that got to park at the start. Don't worry, there are only 3 prisons there. :-) The truck was fine when I got back, though.

I know this doesn't help much on the loop hike but you can check my blog for the write-up I did. Just go to 2008 and click on October.

chiefduffy
02-04-2009, 04:27
There's good parking at Olustee, Turkey Run, and at the trailhead near Hwy 441. I've never parked overnight at them myself. I day hiked Olustee up to White Springs in Dec/Jan, trail was dry, with water available in the streams. You might consider parking at American Canoe Adventures in White Springs (free) and having them shuttle you down the trail (small fee) as far as you want to hike. Great people there - and the section from Big Shoals(new blazed trail for first 7 miles) into White Springs is about the best on the FT, IMO.