PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for 3-Day Trip to Joyce Kilmer?

Lucinda
02-03-2009, 08:10
I'm planning a 3-day trip to Joyce Kilmer sometime during February. Looking for a total of about 35 miles.

Suggestions? I like the old growth forests, so I'm thinking the Naked Ground/Hahoe type area unless there is something better. Maybe go over to Citico and Slickrock as well?

What are the "can't-miss" sites and trails? Best camp spots?

Ideally, I'd like to avoid any big creek wades. That just seems too cold this time of year, but I'll manage if I have to :)

Anything else I need to know?

Cheers!

humunuku
02-04-2009, 18:03
I would be sure to see Hangover lead (there are some sites leading up to it), and sleep on Bobs bald one night. Also, if its your first time, see the BIG trees in the Joyce K Memorial trail. Avoid Slick Rock Creek trail, if you want to have dry feet.

generoll
02-04-2009, 21:56
Let me suggest this. Park at Big Fat Gap (check to see if the road is open) and then hike down to Slickrock Creek and spend the evening. Next day hike up to Naked Ground and if you aren't whipped you can day hike out to Bobs Bald. From Naked Ground it's not too far to the Hangover and then back down to your car.

Ramble~On
02-05-2009, 00:52
The Joyce Kilmer Memorial is a small loop but a must see. Massive trees.
Big Fat is a good trailhead with lots of options but will likely be gated in Feb.
Calderwood Lake has a trailhead and access to the Slickrock Creek Trail. You say you don't want to do any wades and this probably isn't the trail for you but it's a really nice trail and there are two waterfalls worth seeing. Water temperature now isn't all that different in the height of summer. This area is rugged, the climbs are steep and 35 miles anywhere in or around Joyce Kilmer is gonna involve burning some calories.
Avoiding wades there are several trailheads off the Cherohala Skyway..

Excellent Book for all the trails in this area : http://www.amazon.com/Hiking-Trails-Kilmer-Slickrock-Citico-Wildernesses/dp/156145415X

Must sees : Joyce Kilmer Memorial Loop, Bob Bald, Hangover, Wildcat Falls

I like old growth too and the GSMNP has plenty if you have time.

Lucinda
02-05-2009, 09:04
Thanks, all.

How can I tell which trailheads are closed this time of year? I've looked all over the interest for a link to a NFS site somewhere that would update this information but haven't found anything (the NFS website for the area is horrible to navigate and doesn't provide this kind of information).

Maybe I should just call the ranger station?

Thanks.

Ramble~On
02-05-2009, 09:30
Big Fat Gap, Wolf Laurel Basin and Farr Gap are all on Forest Service roads that are gated from time to time when conditions make them unsafe.
- Big Fat Gap is usually gated for long periods during the winter months while the others may be open.

The Cherohala Skyway may be closed or so snow and ice covered that it isn't safe to drive on.

The small parking area just before the bridge over Calderwood Lake is open year round - This trailhead offers the Benton MacKaye and Slickrock Creek trails. Joyce Kilmer is year round but there is no overnight parking in the memorial lot -there is overnight parking at the bottom of the road.

Maple Springs has parking and one trail up to Haoe. it's a little further past the memorial.

generoll
02-05-2009, 17:55
Right. Forgot about the Maple Springs trailhead. Depending on the time of day you could park there and hike as far as Naked Ground or Jenkins Meadow (no meadow) and then take a short hike out to the Hangover. You can camp at the Hangover and sometimes there's water downslope to the east fairly close to the tent sites. I've only hiked the North Hangover Lead trail towards 129, but some of the descents had me grabbing onto trees to keep from falling downhill. No telling what it would be like trying to go uphill on that.

If you go in by the dam, take the BMT to the creek crossing, but stay on your side of the creek and hook up with the Nichols Cover trail (poorly maintained or not at all). That will come out at the campsite downhill from Big Fat right by the creek with no crossings. Then you can hike up to the Hangover if you like or just go up to the parking lot at Big Fat and then head back to your car on the Hangover Lead trail.