PDA

View Full Version : The Wicklow Way in Ireland

oreotragus
02-03-2009, 10:03
Has anyone hiked this trail? I am planning on doing it during my spring break from college in March. I can't believe I actually have enough money saved up for an international trip. :eek: This poor college girl is going to Ireland!

Jenni

cowboy nichols
02-03-2009, 11:11
Be' Gorra and luck of the Irish ta ya.

berninbush
02-03-2009, 11:29
I've never heard of it but just the name was enough to make me click on the thread. :) Sounds enchanting.

Hope you have a fantastic trip.

yappy
02-03-2009, 12:23
That is great ! There is alot of beautiful hiking in that part of the world I hear. I would love to go some day.

Jesters Mom
02-04-2009, 09:36
Wicklow is absolutely gorgeous - second only to Donegal, of course. You'll have a great time. It's a beautiful part of the country.

Dances with Mice
02-04-2009, 09:59
Has anyone hiked this trail? I am planning on doing it during my spring break from college in March. I can't believe I actually have enough money saved up for an international trip. :eek: This poor college girl is going to Ireland!I haven't hiked it. I drove through the area a couple years ago.

It's all good but I did like the west coast better - did you consider the Kerry Way?

An American college girl backpacking Ireland? Survival skills you need to know is that "Smithwick's" is pronounced "Shuh-middicks" but I predict you will not have to buy many of your own beers.

mrc237
02-04-2009, 10:18
Should be alot of Craick along the way!

oreotragus
02-09-2009, 13:49
Thanks for the replies!

I'm going by myself - my boyfriend is not happy at all about that but my family doesn't mind. I'm 22. I'm an adult, I can go on a trip by myself.

Just 4 days after I get back from Dublin I'm going to Arkansas with my school's Wildlife team to this awesome competition called Conclave - where all the southeastern colleges with Wildlife programs compete in everything from dendrology to canoeing to quiz bowl to fly casting to determine THE BEST!

In my free time there I'll be hiking in the Ouachita foothills!

emerald
02-09-2009, 15:23
Take an evodia (bee tree) twig to Conclave. See Dirr's Hardy Trees and Shrubs. I once stumped my dendrology professor with one. You're sure to win!

I believed myself thoroughly and I thought eternally stumped:-? (good word choice, no?) until one day I was reading Dirr and it hit me like a half dozen involucres of chestnuts on the head! In time I discovered a neighbor had planted one years before and it had spread and naturalized.