PDA

View Full Version : Are "support team" slackpackers legitimate thru-hikers?

Pages : [1] 2

Dudeboard
05-03-2004, 13:46
I read some comments about slackpackers with "support teams" doing the AT in record times. In my mind these ninnies are not real thruhikers by any stretch of the imagination, and cannot lay claim to any records. Glorified dayhikers at best, cheaters at worst. But thru-hikers, gimme a brake!

Lone Wolf
05-03-2004, 13:49
Those "ninnies" average 40 miles per day with no days off. You try that cupcake. Bet you wouldn't make it 3 days. :)

Dudeboard
05-03-2004, 13:54
Those "ninnies" average 40 miles per day with no days off. You try that cupcake. Bet you wouldn't make it 3 days. :)
Listen here you SUV suckin, Twinkie-toed lightweight, you either carry your weight or ride in freight.

Lone Wolf
05-03-2004, 13:57
hehehehehahahaha! :banana

jersey joe
05-03-2004, 13:58
L.Wolf has a point, averaging 40+miles per day for 2200 miles is no easy task. Calling them ninnies is a bit absurd. Sure they use support teams, I doubt a 48 day thru would be possible otherwise. As far as the record goes, it is qualified. There is another record for an unsupported thruhike.(61days???) These are indeed REAL thru-hikers, different for sure, but very real.
Besides, isn't every thru-hike supported in some way? hostels, hotels, mail drops, grocerey stores, modern gear, lean-to's, etc...

Peaks
05-03-2004, 16:44
Well, it's for reasons such as being voiced there that the ATC doesn't keep score, or how a person did his hike. But, when you think of a backpacker thru-hiking, it is generally with "minimal" support. Sure, we are all supported to some degree. No one starts off carrying 6 months worth of supplies.

weary
05-03-2004, 17:05
I can't answer the poll, because the choices are all biased in one direction and the "ninnies" comment fell into the trap. The legitimate answer is "yes, of course."

Anyone who walks 2,173 miles is a thru hiker, regardless of how it was achieved. And if in fact they walk every one of those miles either on the white or the blue they will have done more than most pack-carrying hikers do. Frankly, I'd rather carry a pack than be tied to a van each night.

The poll I would like to see is how many miles can one yellow blaze and still be a thru hiker. I would put the limit at about 15 and allow those only for special circumstances -- like making Katahdin ahead of a major storm.

Weary

Moon Monster
05-03-2004, 17:28
At some point, we are all supported, even if it's just walking right off the trail and into the Post Office to pick up a maildrop.

Dudeboard
05-03-2004, 17:50
At some point, we are all supported, even if it's just walking right off the trail and into the Post Office to pick up a maildrop.
C'mon chameleons, quit dodging the point. I'm talking about pink socked, prancing ninnies who don't carry a backpack.

Frosty
05-03-2004, 19:03
I read some comments about slackpackers with "support teams" doing the AT in record times. In my mind these ninnies are not real thruhikers by any stretch of the imagination, and cannot lay claim to any records. Glorified dayhikers at best, cheaters at worst. But thru-hikers, gimme a brake!
I fail to see the point. Could you explain the difference between a guy getting to a trailhead and having his support team give him a ride to camp and cook his dinner, and a guy getting to a trailhead, hitching a ride into town from stangers, and eating in a restaurant?

Either way he gets a ride into town. Is it perhaps because one hiker (the one whose hike you disapprove of) gets a ride from someone he knows? But then what happens if the other hiker (the one whose hike you approve of) attempts to hitchhike to town and finds that he KNOWS the person who stopped for him and offered a ride? Would you define him as a ninny if he accepted that ride? I'd think he'd be a ninny if he turned it down.

Someone said all thruhikers are supported, and that is true. What is the difference between not carrying all one's gear by having it in a support vehicle ready for when one needs it, and not carrying all one's gear by leaving it at home to be mailed when one needs it? Don't bounce boxes serve the same purpose?

I think perhaps you are targeting your ninnies using the wrong term. They obviously hike the entire trail from beginning to end, which is the only deinition I know of a thruhiker. Perhaps you mean that they are not BACKPACKING the trail.

But then, most everyone skips camping out at least SOME nights between GA and ME, opting for town stays. There are too many gray areas to properly nail down your ninnies.

Perhaps you need to define the parameters of your rant. How much support and what types are acceptable to you? What is the minimum pack weight a person must carry to qualify? What happens if a true minimalist carries NO PACK, but goes a couple days without eating between towns while doing 60 mile days, carrying just what he can fit into his pockets. No pack, no thruhiker? That's a tough call!

You see the problem? Definitions and ground rules are too vague.

I understand your problem a biot better now. How do you define the acceptability of someone else's hike with clear and understandable criteria.

A true dilemma.

Frosty

A-Train
05-03-2004, 19:15
Personally I have respect for anyone who walks the Appalachian Trail, period. Especially if you walk it all in one shot (a hiking year) whether you carry a pack or not. Many old school backpackers are proud of the weight they used to hoist compared to today's ultralight boom. I can understand their pride in their achievement physically, but i'm all for lightweight gear. I never made any judgements about what weight people were carrying whether it be 10 lbs or 50. If you can afford it, I believe light gear is just down right smart and sensible. Why make yourself work harder than you have to? If you want comfort than fine, enjoy it, but don't judge anyone who chooses to keep the weight low (supposing they are not mooching and racing to shelters).

Back to the orginial point. I believe if you search Warren and Jack were having a somewhat related argument about the merits of hiking van supported without pack and hauling your gear for 2172 miles. To me there is no sense in judging how someone wants to hike especially if it's by van support. I believe someone who does that misses out on a good part of the expereince of hiking the AT, atleast from my experience. They will never share the same comraderie as those folks who must camp on top of a mountain in a snow storm and they probably truly won't appreciate a hot restaurant meal after 8 days on the trail like someone carrying all their gear. But, there is nothing wrong with that. They are still hikers in my mind and equally deserving to share the footpath. Everyone gets something different out of their hikes.

Kozmic Zian
05-03-2004, 23:33
Yea.....Slackpack? We don do no freakin' slacpacn', main. Nor, no yellowblazin', main. We hike the 'oldschool' way, carryin' our own s***, fightin' our own weather, pain, and fear. To do it any other way, IMHO, is missin' out on why we go hikin', holmes. So, if ya's wanna set records, slacpac, race da' Trail, be a 'purist', carry the lightest gear, carry cell phones, TV's, DVD's, CD's, BVD's, hi-tech it, low-tech it, or Dan'l Boone it, it's your hike, and I hope youse hike it your way............................................... .................KZ@

'Go forth, Oh Warrior Bold, with Death Thou Eye Must Reckon....' H.C. Anderson, The Steadfast Soldier

Percival
05-04-2004, 13:41
I believe someone who does that misses out on a good part of the expereince of hiking the AT, atleast from my experience. They will never share the same comraderie as those folks who must camp on top of a mountain in a snow storm and they probably truly won't appreciate a hot restaurant meal after 8 days on the trail like someone carrying all their gear.
Amen. They may as well sleep in a hotel each night. Doesn't the ATC define a thru-hiker as someone who has walked the entire length of the trail in one effort, without assistance?

Frosty
05-04-2004, 13:51
Doesn't the ATC define a thru-hiker as someone who has walked the entire length of the trail in one effort, without assistance?
Nope, and a good thing. Everyone gets some assistance, if you think about it.

Here's what the ATC says:

How does ATC define thru-hiking?

We don't. ATC uses the term "2,000-miler" as a matter of tradition and convenience.

ATC defines a "2,000-miler" as anyone who has hiked the entire trail between Springer Mountain in Georgia and Katahdin in Maine. We don't consider issues such as the sequence, direction, speed or whether one carries a pack. We do expect that persons applying for inclusion in our 2,000-miler records have made an honest effort to walk the entire Trail. The complete 2,000-miler definition can be found on our Appalachian Trail 2,000-Miler Application.

The application can be viewed here:

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/hike/pdfs/2Kmiler03.pdf

weary
05-04-2004, 14:10
C'mon chameleons, quit dodging the point. I'm talking about pink socked, prancing ninnies who don't carry a backpack.

The real ninnies are the ultra-lighters. Why don't they carry real packs, like real backpackers, instead of prancing up the trail with silnylon tarps and hammocks and stopping every other day for showers, restaurants and resupply in towns?

Weary

steve hiker
05-04-2004, 14:51
I think there's a real difference between dayhikers and backpackers who hike the trail relying on themselves, their feet and the gear on their back. Someone who has their mom waiting at road crossings in her SUV with a plate of cookies so he doesn't have to carry a backpack is somewhat of a sissy, IMHO, and clearly is not a traditional thru-hiker.

Lone Wolf
05-04-2004, 14:55
What a crock of BS. :rolleyes: What an idiot. :cool:

c.coyle
05-04-2004, 15:41
The real ninnies are the ultra-lighters. Why don't they carry real packs, like real backpackers, instead of prancing up the trail with silnylon tarps and hammocks ...

A minimum weight requirement for real thru hikers? Brilliant!!! Forget 2000 Milers. Let's have 50 Pounders and 75 Pounders. The fastest thru hike? BFD. Who has the record for the heaviest thru hike?

Think what it would do for the canvas tent industry. Scales at every shelter. 12,000 c.i. packs. The possibilities are endless!

chris
05-04-2004, 15:43
This really is one of the more inane threads that I've seen on whiteblaze. I know I've tossed up some junk for people to read, but I must bow to the some of the halfwits that have posted here.

For where I stand, I offer the following. I would never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, participate in one of Warren Doyle's Circle Expeditions. It isn't my thing. But, that doesn't dimish what the people who go on them do. It doesn't make Linguini more special because he never slacked. It doesn't make Jack Tarlin a non-thruhiker because he slacked sometimes.

I can't believe I've wasted so much precious brain power on this topic, especially when I have a little more than 50 hours before I'm leaving town to start the long, arduous trip (found someone to give me a lift) to Damascus to start north again.

weary
05-04-2004, 15:51
A minimum weight requirement for real thru hikers? Brilliant!!! Forget 2000 Milers. Let's have 50 Pounders and 75 Pounders. The fastest thru hike? BFD. Who has the record for the heaviest thru hike?

Think what it would do for the canvas tent industry. Scales at every shelter. 12,000 c.i. packs. The possibilities are endless!

Come on, you guys. My sugestion is no sillier than the rest of this thread.

Weary

c.coyle
05-04-2004, 16:09
Come on, you guys. My sugestion is no sillier than the rest of this thread.

Weary

I wasn't making fun of you. Just pointing out how dumb this whole thread is. Actually, your post makes more sense than most.

It's logical, though, that how much weight one carries - if some of us just can't resist making the simple act of walking in the woods competitive and comparative - is relevant.

It's a nice day here in Pa. I'm knocking off early and getting a few Yuenglings. Maybe I'll carry a quarter keg on my next hike. Do I have to carry my own ice to be a real Quarter Kegger? :jump

Bankrobber
05-04-2004, 16:11
While I suspect that Dudeboard was a troll, I think that there is an overall tone of some people to diminish the accomplishments of others. I suspect that some have returned home, start to feel insecure about themselves due to society's demands, and start diminishing the hikes of others to boost their own ego. Everyone should get back out on a trail, and do their own thing as long as it does not hurt anyone else.

Streamweaver
05-04-2004, 16:22
I suspect that some have returned home, start to feel insecure about themselves due to society's demands, and start diminishing the hikes of others to boost their own ego.

Sorta like people who resort to petty name calling ,like calling somebody a troll? Streamweaver

steve hiker
05-04-2004, 17:31
The original post was about van-supported slackpackers doing the whole AT without a backpack, then claiming a thru-hike speed record. Obviously those hikers have an unfair advantage over backpackers, and any record they claim should clearly distinguish that they didn't carry any gear.

SGT Rock
05-04-2004, 18:09
Well that is probably why no organization recognizes these speed hikes anyway. There are so many different ways someone can hike, and so many opinions by others as to what a "legitimate hike" is, that there is no need imposing rules about how to hike in the first place. If there are no rules, then there is no standard to which a speed hiker can be judged against except his or her own, which is the way it ought to be anyway. I hike, I like to carry my own stuff and sleep in the woods. I like to go where I please - those are my rules.

Bankrobber
05-04-2004, 18:39
I suspect that some have returned home, start to feel insecure about themselves due to society's demands, and start diminishing the hikes of others to boost their own ego.

Sorta like people who resort to petty name calling ,like calling somebody a troll? Streamweaver

Streamweaver,
Posts like this one make me think it was a troll. "I'm talking about pink socked, prancing ninnies who don't carry a backpack." Do you seriously think that it was out of line to say that this was a troll?

warren doyle
05-04-2004, 19:48
For myself, the most important thing for someone walking, backpacking, or running the entire Appalachian Trail is to conscientiously follow the white paint blazes. What is important to me is a person's integrity rather than the amount of weight one carries. Congratulations to all who go the entire distance under their own power.

Mountain Dew
05-05-2004, 04:07
A thru-hike is hiking past every white blaze. Who cares what the weight of a persons pack is. I personally carried 50+ pounds, but if somebody can find a way to have a car support their hike the whole way then more power to them. In my opinion they are missing part of the experience, but that is simply my opinion. Maybe alot of them couldn't otherwise complete a thru-hike either.... A THRU is a THRU in my book. Don't look at those people as cheaters but rather somebody to get a slack from !!! :D

Sand Crab
05-05-2004, 09:12
Man, it's threads like this that really make me want to pull the sheets over my head and stay in bed. I don't dare go out in the woods any more. I'm afraid that I won't do it right and all the "correct" backpackers will make fun of me. Now, I'm even afraid to post in case someone may disagree with me and severely beat me to death with their keyboard! :rolleyes: But seriously, if you want to really be a true woodsman, you must put on at least 300 pounds and spend two years in unmarked mountains with nothing but a bowie knife and a bag of salt.

SGT Rock
05-05-2004, 09:23
I thought you got a Kentucky Long Rifle as long as you were willing to make your own powder and shot.

Sand Crab
05-05-2004, 09:41
I thought you got a Kentucky Long Rifle as long as you were willing to make your own powder and shot.

Well, I guess a rifle could be allowed. But no powder and shot. The rifle must only be used as a walking stick and club!

Pootz
05-05-2004, 11:17
:jump

I ran into a few slackpackers last year on the trail. Running 30-40 miles a day or more for over 2000 miles is quite an accomplishment. They were great people out on the trail doing it there way.

Frosty
05-05-2004, 11:44
Man, it's threads like this that really make me want to pull the sheets over my head and stay in bed. I don't dare go out in the woods any more. I'm afraid that I won't do it right and all the "correct" backpackers will make fun of me. Now, I'm even afraid to post in case someone may disagree with me and severely beat me to death with their keyboard! :rolleyes: But seriously, if you want to really be a true woodsman, you must put on at least 300 pounds and spend two years in unmarked mountains with nothing but a bowie knife and a bag of salt.
Sorry, bringing salt is cheating.

jersey joe
05-05-2004, 12:10
On my 02 thru hike a I saw lots of people slackpacking around Erwin mostly from Miss J's. Northbound hikers were being dropped off 19 miles north of Erwin and slackpacking south back to Erwin and the next day getting dropped off at the same spot and continuing north. By doing this they were eliminating 2000 feet of elevation climb, most of which is getting to the top of Roan mountain. I was wondering if people would consider this type of slackpacking cheating?

Lone Wolf
05-05-2004, 12:13
Cheating? Pretty damn smart. It ain't a test. No rules.

Blue Jay
05-05-2004, 12:46
I was wondering if people would consider this type of slackpacking cheating?

Yes, if you are one of the minority who participate in the Grand National Purist Hiking Competition (better known as the Tight A$$ 2000 :banana ). If so, you and Mountain Dew have the sympathy of the rest of us.

eyahiker
05-05-2004, 14:25
You guys crack me up:clap

I need a good laugh, and Sand Crab - I'm with you on the salt.

OK and maybe a solar shower.........

Dudeboard
05-05-2004, 15:26
Sorry ninnies you're outvoted. 33-8 says you're too weak to carry your own weight and want to steal the glory from those who do.

And what about all that exhaust pollution from your support team's SUV. While honest hikers go to the mountains to breathe clean air your bus is going back and forth up the mountains, idling at road crossings with the air conditioner running and exhaust spewing out all day long. *gasp* give me a break, weenies!

warren doyle
05-05-2004, 16:32
Jersey Joe,
The northbound ascent of Roan Mt. starts at Hughes Gap which is approximately 28 miles north of Erwin, not 19 miles as you stated.
Perhaps you were referring to Iron Mt. Gap which is a road drop-off point approximately 19 miles north of Erwin. That would also account for the elevation difference of 2000'.
++++
I like it when husbands, wives, lovers, grandparents, grandchildren, fathers, mothers, sisters, brothers, sons, daughters, supportive friends can meet and help out their wives, husbands, lovers, grandchildren, grandparents, sons, daughters, brothers, sisters, fathers, mothers, close friends on their respective pilgrimages.

Sounds nice, positive and constructive to me.

chris
05-05-2004, 18:26
I thought the "Gimme a Break" option was for: "This is the silliest poll ever on whitebalze", which is why I voted for that. So, by my count it is currently 21 to 20. That is, almost 50 percent think that slackpacking, even the entire way, is either fine, or they don't care. Hopefully my ninniness isn't showing through too much in this post.

weary
05-05-2004, 18:40
It's my guess that most of the no votes come from thru hiking wanna bes. Anyone who has seriously done AT miles would know that this is a dumb question, based on a dumb premise.

Weary

Tha Wookie
05-05-2004, 19:10
One of the reasons I get on these forums is for a good laugh. The people who want to make rules for hiking do the best at cracking me up.

There is only one rule: lying is wrong.

The term "thru-hike" has nothing to do with slackpacking. If you ran the whole thing, then you "thru-ran" it. I'd be prettty impressed if someone told me that.

If my mommy brings me cookies at the trailhead, these rule-mongers would probably be the first to beg for some. Can you imagine if I didn't share?

GIMME A BREAK!

SGT Rock
05-05-2004, 20:22
Actually I thought the SUV thing was the joke, sort of a sarcastic remark answer. And actually I thought the only rule was LNT.

Mountain Dew
05-06-2004, 01:40
Lone Wolf... "Cheating? Pretty damn smart. It ain't a test. No rules." ----Amazing.....we agree on something Lone Wolf. Like I said before.....There is nothing wrong with slackpacking or getting car support. My friend Greenman got to be really good at getting us slackpacks !!!
There might be hope for our loving relationship yet Wolfy !!!
-----------
Bluejay... "Yes, if you are one of the minority who participate in the Grand National Purist Hiking Competition (better known as the Tight A$$ 2000 ). If so, you and Mountain Dew have the sympathy of the rest of us" ---- the lack of reading comprehension skills and giardia of the mouth continue to overflow from one thread to another for you. Stick to the thread's topic. If you have a problem with my opinions atleast get them straight and leave them your response on the proper thread. You seem to be stalking me around from thread to thread making silly comments. The attention is flattering....

steve hiker
05-06-2004, 03:09
There is nothing wrong with slackpacking or getting car support. My friend Greenman got to be really good at getting us slackpacks !!!

I know about Greenman. I've seen the warnings in shelters: Greenman thru hiker is a t____. Good example.

Blue Jay
05-06-2004, 07:35
You seem to be stalking me around from thread to thread making silly comments. The attention is flattering....

Yes I am stalking you, I think I'm in love. I feel much better now that you used your witty Giardia phrase on me. I sometimes get jealous of Lone wolf, I want to be your favorite. :welcome What is a Mairnttt Boy anyway?

Mountain Dew
05-08-2004, 05:11
UGH...I know about Greenman. I've seen the warnings in shelters: Greenman thru hiker is a t____. Good example. .... I give. What is the word that begins with t_____. ? Warning signs ??? :-? Is it "turd" ? hahaha I can't think of any bad words that begin with t that would fit.

Blue Jay.....A "Mairnttt... Boy" is a person that hiked in a loose group of about 25 out of Damascus last year. Greenman said that a group of hikers were saying "Hairntttttt" at Trail Days in 2002 so he decided it would be Mairnttttt... in 2003. And so we started saying and it all the time andbefore long we heard local kids yelling it. If you are lost you Mairnt and somebody Mairnts back. eemm uhhh nevermind...it's hard to explain fully. :jump

steve hiker
05-08-2004, 05:41
UGH...I know about Greenman. I've seen the warnings in shelters: Greenman thru hiker is a t____. Good example. .... I give. What is the word that begins with t_____. ? Warning signs ??? :-? Is it "turd" ? hahaha I can't think of any bad words that begin with t that would fit.
I guess it would explain how Green Man mysteriously comes up with new packs and supplies. Like magic, man. :-?

Mountain Dew
05-18-2004, 19:13
UGH " guess it would explain how Green Man mysteriously comes up with new packs and supplies. Like magic, man."

Do you mean to suggest that Greenman is a thief ? You certainly imply that. With a comment like that you must know something I don't. Please give proof to back up you comments. I suspect you have a grudge against Greenman and are now taking a cheap shot. Ridiculous !!!

Your reply will contain ZERO proof and nobody will stand by your side to back up your lies I suspect. I eagerly await your reply. Please don't be a coward and backpedal. Just apologize.... :-?

Jester2000
05-18-2004, 19:28
I just read this and was outraged. I believe that I could leave my liver out on the table and Greenman would leave it alone. Much as he might need it.

To be serious: accusing someone of thievery is base, low, and outrageous, and passing along unfounded rumors is tragically irresponsible. Let's not pretend that because you can act anonymously that it doesn't affect others.
Would you say what you said to his face, or name yourself on your post? Doubtful.

If someone presented me with PROOF that Greenman had stolen, the sun would go black, cats would be sleeping with dogs, and the military band would be playing "The World Turned Upsidedown."

I'd bet my feet on him.

Lord knows he might do SOME things others don't like, but I'd stake my reputation, as far as that accusation goes. And unlike SOME people on this site, I HAVE ONE.

Jester2000
Shane O'Donnell
Mayor of Billville

Jack Tarlin
05-18-2004, 20:43
Jester: Good post.

But don't hold your breath waiting for this lovely gentleman to tell you his name or anything else about this matter....this isn't his style. Plus, he has no case. You can probably accuse Green Man of a great many things, but not this.

And second.....bet your feet on this if you like, as they aren't worth a whole helluva lot, but don't bet your liver on this, or on anything else, for that matter.

Someday you may need it.

bfitz
05-18-2004, 20:50
You (ugh) are obligated to reply. Do it immediately, I have plans.

steve hiker
05-18-2004, 21:37
You (ugh) are obligated to reply. Do it immediately, I have plans.
I will gladly reply, not to your threats, but to the accusation that I have an axe to grind against Green Man. The rumor is posted in many shelters down south. Usually it is written in felt pen on shelter posts and walls: "Green Man thru-hiker is a thief."

So if you have a beef with this rumor, go find the gentleman who is writing this in shelters up and down the trail (not me), or bring an eraser. I only mentioned what I had seen, and didn't even hint at what a t_____ might be (look at my first post) until directly asked.

So bite the wall, bfitz.

Jester2000
05-19-2004, 09:38
So you feel you aren't responsible for spreading a rumor by posting it on here? I have a beef with people who don't think before they post. What you DID NOT SAY in any of your earlier posts was that you were spreading a rumor for which you had no proof, that you did not know the author of the rumor, that you don't (apparently) mind slamming someone's rep and don't feel responsible for what you do.

Saying that we should find the original author of the rumor is like saying that someone should slap your parents. They're the original authors of you, but they're certainly not responsible for YOUR bad behavior.

I almost wish you had a problem with Green. It would be a better explanation that the reality -- that you're just an irresponsible, careless person. So I won't hold my breath on an apology. I'm just amazed that you don't realize what you did wrong.

PS -- note: just like all other posts here, this post is threat-free.(edit: except ugh's post #59 -- see below)
This will be my last post on this thread so that it will go away.

edit PPS -- just to ruin it for you all, no apology as of post #69. Seems like such a simple thing to do. . .

gravityman
05-19-2004, 10:37
The rumor is posted in many shelters down south. Usually it is written in felt pen on shelter posts and walls: "Green Man thru-hiker is a thief."

This is a GOOD lesson! Don't believe everything you read in the shelters! This is probably my biggest pet peeve about the registers and what people write in them - rumor spreading! It really really detracts from the trail experience, and people start saying it like it is first hand information.

I HATE IT! I HATE IT! I HATE IT!

There, tantrum over :)

Gravity man

PS And for SOBO's the trails probably not nearly as rocky up ahead as all the NOBO's say it is! :)

Blue Jay
05-19-2004, 11:04
This is a GOOD lesson! Don't believe everything you read in the shelters!

Actually it is a long standing tradition to make up stories in shelter registers. Only a complete idiot would believe them. As for thinking that some thing written on a wall is correct, that is too much for anyone to believe.

Mountain Dew
05-19-2004, 12:08
Ugh .... You have been backed into a corner and are now reaching for anything to hold onto. Saying that you are only commenting on what you read in shelters is nothing short of ignorant and immature. Get real and grow up. If I read that you are molesting little kids in shelters should I then go online and spread that rumor as if it were true ? oh wait...do you even hike or just spread rumors about hikers online ? STOP making excuses and just apologize or better yet go away. Your kind is the worst kind....

Mountain Dew
Hudson Hartson ( who doesn't hide behind a screenname )

gravityman
05-19-2004, 12:26
Actually it is a long standing tradition to make up stories in shelter registers. Only a complete idiot would believe them. As for thinking that some thing written on a wall is correct, that is too much for anyone to believe.

Oh come on... Some of the "stories" are clearly that. But the bad mouthing of people is NOT a long standing tradition. Look at what happened with the Magic and Officer Taco incident that just passed. And the Heald and Magic thing. This is just one incident that spilled over on to the internet. There is a lot of bad mouthing of other hikers in the registers that are NOT meant as a made up store.

and I HATE IT!

Gravity man

steve hiker
05-19-2004, 12:50
you are molesting little kids in shelters .... Your kind is the worst kind....
Let's settle this at the gas station.

Blue Jay
05-19-2004, 13:19
Oh come on... Some of the "stories" are clearly that. But the bad mouthing of people is NOT a long standing tradition. Look at what happened with the Magic and Officer Taco incident that just passed. And the Heald and Magic thing.

Sorry, I left the wrong impression. Bad mouthing people is a long standing tradition. I clearly like doing it here, because they can fight back. Doing it in Journals is clearly a cowardly and flat out wrong thing to do. I also hate it.

Jack Tarlin
05-19-2004, 14:28
Heu Ugh.....if you want to settle it by talking to Green Man face to face instead of slandering his name from miles away and hiding behind a pseudonym (which I see you're still doing, by the way), we'd be happy to set up a rendezvous, so you can discuss this matter man-to man. Surely you wouldn't mind saying in person what you've been spouting here.....or would you?

But why do I get this feeling you're not that thrilled about setting this up? However, let us know, we'll happily arrange it, as I'm sure you want to settle the air, right?

bfitz
05-19-2004, 19:10
Ugh, first of all I had no intention of threatening you, you must just have a guilty conscience. What I intended you to understand from that statement was that I had plans to be away from my terminal (in the woods), and would not be able to hear your response and respond to it unless you posted quickly. It seems everyone is posting more quickly than I anticipated, because less than 24 hours later you have already posted more than once. I must say that I agree with the general consensus here that saying that kind of thing without certainty is foolish in the extreme and if some people were the threatening kind, well, you might ought to expect some threats. (again, not from me of course, I will make it perfectly clear that I am threatening you if and when I decide to do so)
Another thing: when taking someone's words out of context to make them look bad, you should remember who you're talking to. The people reading this thread just read the post you are misquoting 2 posts ago, so we all know what you are doing. Myself, I would wait at least until we got to a new page so that there might be a chance that some people might not have just read it.(just a little advice)
One more thing, it may be that the accused dosen't read these, so you might be lucky in that respect, but if you said anything like that about me it would not go uncorrected or unretracted.

bfitz
05-20-2004, 18:15
O.K. here's the story stright from the mouth of the Greenman (sitting right here with me). Some of you may remember a "hiker" named Ellwood who was on the trail last year. At trail days he lurked around miss janets fire and the hobo compound telling sob stories about losing a son in Iraq (a lie). Well after trail days he went hiking and attached himself to different groups and individuals at different times. One of those groups were the mairnt boys with whom Greenman and others were affiliated. After a while they started to notice thier stuff missing and Ellwood also. So they reported him to the authorities. One day while Roman Around and Greenman were working at the blackburn center this guy showed up and stole Greenman's MP3 player and all the patches he had recieved for doing volunteer trail work. When Greenman and Roman arrived on the scene luckily Ellwood was already under arrest. (apparently he had other warrants in other states, I believe Maryland) They were able to ID several items belonging to them and other hikers. They tiied to have him banned from the AT but apparently he hiked back south and wrote these things on walls and registers on his way down. All of this is on record at the blackburn center and the ATC center in Harpers Ferry. If you see that stuff somewhere please rub it out or something. Ugh, I'm glad you said what you said because we would not have had the oppurtunity to clear the air on this issue. (you should still apologize, though) Think about the people placing thier good reps on the line here to defend him and reconsider your comments. 'nuff said
by the way, I am
the Dude '03
Brendan FitzPatrick
[email protected]

Jack Tarlin
05-21-2004, 09:55
I arrived at the Blackburn Cnter the evening that these events occurred, and they were related to me by several guests and the caretaker. Their version of events entirely corroborates Bfitz'.

Bfitz' comments above are entirely correct, both as regards the Blackburn incident, and Greenman's reputation on the Trail. I trust this concludes this matter, unless Ugh has something concrete to add.

Which I very much doubt.

gravityman
05-21-2004, 10:26
O.K. here's the story stright from the mouth of the Greenman (sitting right here with me).

I LOVE a good debunking!

Thanks bfitz!

bfitz
05-21-2004, 11:03
By the way, slackpacking is definitely legitimate hiking.

gravityman
05-21-2004, 11:41
By the way, slackpacking is definitely legitimate hiking.

What does this thread have to do with slackpack.... ooooohhhhh.... the TOPIC! :)

Gravity man

steve hiker
05-21-2004, 19:00
unless Ugh has something concrete to add. Which I very much doubt.
I only tell you what I read in the papers.

Jack Tarlin
05-22-2004, 10:26
Ugh--

I'm glad you only know what's in the papers. That doesn't say much for you.

When I'm home, I read six papers a day as I don't own a TV. I don't believe everything I read there. Neither should you. Neither should anyone.

And lastly, I still don't see you expressing any interest in meeting up with Greenman and discussing this matter in person. One would think you'd welcome the opportunity as the subject is evidently important to you. Nor have you put your real name on your correspondence. If you still stand by your earlier charges and allegations, why not tell us who you are? A man that's apparently ashamed of speaking his own good name musn't think much of it. Or maybe he's realizes he's made a mistake and is simply incapable of admitting it.

I can't say that any of this surprises me.

bfitz
05-22-2004, 11:08
ditto. (what Jack said)

Mountain Dew
05-22-2004, 17:47
UGH reminds me of Elwood actually. How pathetic....

bfitz
05-23-2004, 02:00
Now that you mention it, Dew, I see what you mean. Do you think...?
P.P. By the way Gravityman, I don't believe I've had the pleasure. Pleased to have "met" you.

Jaybird
06-04-2004, 05:38
WOW...

i wuz gonna throw my 2 pennies in here...but, this thread has digressed to something totally different...

i'm surprised no one has started ranting about the gun issue again! hehehehehehehe :D

rave on!

Crash! Bang!
10-11-2004, 15:57
the traditionally accepted definition of a thru hiker is one who walks every mile in one season. no requirements on what they carry. are we going to start penalizing ultra-lighters next? altho i have no desire to do what they do, and im not exactly enthusiastic about speed-hiking, as i feel theyre completely at odds with the spirit of the trail, they are fulfilling the requirements of a thru hiker. what they are doing is a serious athletic feat, altho a seemingly pointless one.

Lone Wolf
10-11-2004, 16:00
Thru-hiking the "traditional" way is also an athletic feat. Kinda dumb too. Benton MacKaye never wanted folks to thru-hike.

Crash! Bang!
10-11-2004, 16:11
whats kinda dumb? to thru-hike? my apologies to benton mcaye. he must be turning in his grave. id say the closest thing to his vision on the trail is probably the A$C huts in the whites. im grateful to bm for being the godfather of the trail, but im glad things didnt turn out exactly as he planned:-?

Jack Tarlin
10-12-2004, 15:57
Actually, Wolf is mistaken about Benton MacKaye. To say he "never wanted" folks to thru-hike is simply untrue: While he was opposed to the concept when he first heard of it, in later years (he lived and wrote well into his nineties) he actually became quite friendly with, and corresponded with, many thru-hikers, including several friends of mine. In none of this later writing or commentary that I've seen did he express dismay or unhappiness with the concept of thru-hiking, so while it is indeed true that he initially objected to the concept, he later came to change his mind, so to say that he never wanted folks to thru-hike just isn't true. It might not have been what he originally intended at first, but in later years, he came to accept the practice, and in many cases, wrote and spoke cordially and positively about folks who'd hiked the whole Trail.

Crash! Bang!
10-12-2004, 19:56
why would he be opposed to thru-hiking? was it a case of "its my trail, and youre gonna hike it the way i want you to"?, or did he actually have a legit reason?

weary
10-12-2004, 21:24
why would he be opposed to thru-hiking? was it a case of "its my trail, and youre gonna hike it the way i want you to"?, or did he actually have a legit reason?

The question reflects a misunderstanding of MacKaye. He had no thoughts about thru hiking in the early days because popular wisdom didn't think it possible and he had no reason to disagree.

When Earl Shaffer told him he had done so, I don't recall any particular reaction. Shaffer certainly didn't detect any condemnation. The two corresponded for the balance of MacKaye's life.

Later, when folks started to compete to see who could do the trail the fastest, MacKaye commented that the "winner" should be the person who thru hiked the slowest. (Yeah, Bun Bun, you disagree, but back off, I'm talking now.) By that measure, my months on the trail suggest that I was a bit better than the pack. It took me six months and three days, to get from Springer to Katahdin. UNfortunately I still haven't passed "every white blaze," which I and others think is an appropriate measure of a legitimate "thru hike."

I suggested to my wife a few days ago that 2005 seemed "a nice year to complete my thru hike." She immediately disagreed, "I thought we were going to Alaska next year," she proclaimed.

Well, I had been trying to persuade her for a decade that we should visit Alaska ( and lets face it. Bun Bun, aka Jim, and Ginny did
Alaska last year) so I couldn't really argue. So. 2006. Be prepared. Weary is heading south and walking north.

Weary

Askus3
10-12-2004, 23:22
I have not read this thread thoroughly, but I came across this website while surfing.

Here is the website of this supported thru hike of the AT: www.bighike.com
. Are they for real? Some of the questions & answers in the FAQ link are really funny. I wonder if they get any clients. Do you think they rip people off? I wonder if a person pays 10 grand to do this AT trek, would they be disappointed if you told them they don't get credit for completing the trail!???
Sorry if I take this thread off on a tangent. But I found this entrepreneur really amazing (funny?).

A-Train
10-12-2004, 23:46
I think there was an arguement on this company in the past, mighta wanna check the archives.

10,120 bucks seems pretty steep. Only(?) 66 bucks a day, they say. With that kinda money I could do 4 thru-hikes. But if thats the type of experience someone is looking for, and they have the cash, well then, I guess its a decent service. There are a lot of expenses that go into driving a van from Georgia to Maine, plus thousands of miles on dirt forest roads, etc.

Pencil Pusher
10-13-2004, 01:50
Compared to what some people spend on gear and expenses for their individual trips, is it really 'steep' for being a guided service?
For the poll, I think the support crews who hike the AT have a legitimate claim to thru-hiker status.

Crash! Bang!
10-13-2004, 08:33
"Look at what happened with the Magic and Officer Taco incident "

what incident was that?

Crash! Bang!
10-13-2004, 08:35
"only 66 bucks a day"?

HA! i got thru nj and ny on that much

Peaks
10-13-2004, 08:51
Back to the original question. Are slackpackers who are fully supported qualify as a legitimate thru-hike.

My vote is yes. The requirement is simply to walk the trail end to end, usually within a years time.

We all hiked the trail differently. We took days, or weeks off, at different times and in different places. We got rides here and there. Most slackpacked on occassion. So, because someone chooses to pay the big bucks, and enjoy the comforts of getting dropped off at a trail head every morning, and being picked up in the afternoon, then so be it.

I think also that someone who does the AT this way misses out on much of the trail experience by not being out in the woods with others, and not carrying all their gear up and over the many ridges. Think about some of your best experiences along the trail. Some of my best memories include the fellow thru-hikers that I shared shelters with.

So, as we say, hike your own hike, and don't force anyone else to hike your hike.

Crash! Bang!
10-13-2004, 08:58
Some of my best memories include the fellow thru-hikers that I shared shelters with.
exactamundo. they completely miss out on the community experience. but then, your typical pct or cdt thru-hiker might say that the community experience is an affront to the wilderness experience

Youngblood
10-13-2004, 09:16
I think also that someone who does the AT this way misses out on much of the trail experience by not being out in the woods with others, and not carrying all their gear up and over the many ridges. Think about some of your best experiences along the trail. Some of my best memories include the fellow thru-hikers that I shared shelters with.

That's hard to say. They also have some experiences that we didn't. They likely get a longer bonding time with the same folks, so their friendships might be stronger. Hopefully, the trail didn't beat them up as badly. So... I don't know for sure. It is different but I don't know that I would make a blanket statement that it was better or worse.

Now, if they hiked the whole way with the swim suit models from SI... I might want to know how much and where do I send my money. :)

Youngblood

NotYet
10-13-2004, 09:44
Hi Y'all,

I've been wondering if someone would end up putting a link to our site on this thread!

As was said in the past thread that we ended up on, we don't think that our "supported thru-hike" is the "wrong way" or the "right way" to hike the AT...it's simply a service that my husband and I offer for those who might want it.

To clarify a couple of points that have been made in this thread...although we are hiking guides, this particular hike does not provide a guide. There are 2 support staff that provide vehicle, meal and other logistics every day for 5 months. The people on the hike are primarily camping (just not usually at the traditional shelter sites). The fee for this service covers not only shuttling people and gear, but also all meals and even meals and lodging while in town.

If you have any questions about the service, feel free to contact us at www.bighike.com.

p.s. As for this poll...I think anyone who has walked the entire trail in a single "hiking season" has the right to call themselves a thru-hiker and can be proud of what is a very difficult achievement. :)

Crash! Bang!
10-13-2004, 10:10
call me a sissy if you will, but i just finished a traditional self-supported thru-hike, but if i could afford to blow 10,000, i would give these people a try. logistics are a pain in the ass, and i would love to eat GOOD food every night. btw, bighike people, what do you do in the whites? do your clients get to stay in the huts?

Blue Jay
10-13-2004, 10:12
p.s. As for this poll...I think anyone who has walked the entire trail in a single "hiking season" has the right to call themselves a thru-hiker and can be proud of what is a very difficult achievement. :)

Unfortunately there will always be a small group that seeks to inflate their "accomplishment" and feel superior to those who did not complete a hike the same way they did it. I did the whole trail on a pogo stick, I'm superior than you or I did the whole trail eating tree bark, I'm superior. It would be funny but this kind of BS hurts people.

Crash! Bang!
10-13-2004, 10:32
Unfortunately there will always be a small group that seeks to dog people around the forums, holding grudges that began on other threads, and making personal attacks while missing the point because they would rather pick a fight instead of really paying attention to what another poster is trying to say.

Rain Man
10-13-2004, 10:58
www.bighike.com
. Are they for real? Some of the questions & answers in the FAQ link are really funny. I wonder if they get any clients. Do you think they rip people off?

Aaron,

This topic and company were discussed in another recent thread. I and one or two other WhiteBlazers spoke with them via email, plus they posted in that thread.

My conclusion was that they appear to be good, sincere folks, for what that's worth in answering your question.

Rain Man

NotYet
10-13-2004, 12:37
Hi Crash! Bang!,

As for your question about the Whites...The plan is to do them in a series of day hikes. Although it has been done before, this is a a very difficult endeavor! We do plan to adjust our plans if necessary; so if some of the hikers on the trip wish to backpack the Whites that is an option for them (we do plan on having them backpack through the Smokies).

Thanks for your question.

Not Yet

Bjorkin
10-13-2004, 17:13
I don't quite understand why this is even a discussion. Those that don't agree with slackpacking, myself included, probably also subscribe to the theory of hike your own hike. Soooooo, hike your own hike. Why do you all get worked up over something that isn't YOUR hike? Let 'em hike, let 'em hitch, let 'em roller skate, I don't care because I'm not doing it.

Jeez, even in the woods somebody has to be the traffic cop.

Peaks
10-13-2004, 17:24
Hi Crash! Bang!,

As for your question about the Whites...The plan is to do them in a series of day hikes. Although it has been done before, this is a a very difficult endeavor! We do plan to adjust our plans if necessary; so if some of the hikers on the trip wish to backpack the Whites that is an option for them (we do plan on having them backpack through the Smokies).

Thanks for your question.

Not Yet

Not Yet,

First, I support your statement that there is not a right way or wrong way to walk the AT. To each their own. Those who use a service such as yours will have a different experience, and that's their choice.

Now for doing the Whites. You might consider supporting them by carrying in their gear (clothing, etc.) to a hut.

kentucky
10-13-2004, 17:34
Well all I know is when Im out backpacking my trips anywhere not just the AT I really dont care what there doing!I have had them running by me and just scare the scrub off me!Well I guess one only has to be true ot thyself regardless the hike what one values someone else really dont give a flying batseye!I can say one can learn to have an open mind on most long trails?its like sweet tea and unsweetend tea its a matter of choice:bse kentucky

smokymtnsteve
10-13-2004, 17:36
To each their own. Those who use a service such as yours will have a different experience, and that's their choice.

and if you don't use a sevice such as thiers then YOU will have a different experience, and that your choice.

NotYet
10-13-2004, 19:02
Hi Peaks,

I appreciate your suggestion about the Huts. We have considered using them, but one of the main reasons that we don't have it in the plan is that they would require reservations well in advance of our arrival. While we do have an itinerary, we also intentionally plan a bit of flexibility into the schedule. If we need to exercise that flexibility, we could very well end up with no spots in the Huts for our clients.

However, individuals on our trip are always welcome to secure lodging in the Huts or backpack to traditional sites/shelters if they wish. We only carry their gear in our vehicles; so if we/they did decide to use the Huts, the hikers would carry their own clothing, etc.

We plan for the hikers to stay in Gorham for the majority of the time that they hike the in Whites. In fact, this will be the longest we plan stay in any town.

Not Yet

weary
10-13-2004, 19:55
The AT is a public trail. There are no inherently good, or inherently bad ways to enjoy it. No one is measuring. Listen, talk to, discuss, read journals, read books, watch videos, think about you and your trail goals. Choose whatever way strikes you as best for you.

That's what I did, though in 1993, I really didn't know these were really issues. I went to Georgia and walked home, determined to do whatever was necessary to do so.

The dilemma came after I summited Katahdin and then read the ATC guidelines for issuing a 2000-miler patch. It was obvious from the beginning that I hadn't met the qualifications. I hadn't "walked every mile." But I saw folks registering for the patch who had done even fewer miles than me. I admit being tempted. I met a lot of people on the trail. I sort of wanted to let them know I had finally climbed Katahdin -- on the day the park closed, no less.

But after a lot of aginizing I decided not to register. Yeah. I might have, had NOT I stumbled onto Wingfoot's ite and participated in that debate. Now, a decade plus later, IT ALL SEEMS SILLY -- or obvious.

The patch is meaningless. Even if you wear it, almost no one will know what it means. Equally meaningless are those one line, one time listings in small type in Appalachian Trailways News.

When I show my slides I tell people that my goal was to walk north from Georgia and I did. No one seems really interested in the details so I try not to bore them.

Just one last thought. If I had succumbed to my initial instinct and registered as a 2000-miler, I now would feel uncomfortable about having done so.

So my advice is to register if you have met the rules. Don't if you haven't. If you choose not to follow this advice, don't much worry about it. It really doesn't matter.

Oh. Sorry for the digression. However you choose to get between Springer and Katahdin doesn't matter a bit -- providing you "walked every mile."

Weary

Peaks
10-14-2004, 07:55
Not Yet,

Being an organized group, I had assumed that you probably had a fairly rigid schedule planned out. Anyway, you can always check the vacancy rate when you get closer to New Hampshire, and make a decision at that time.

NotYet
10-14-2004, 08:11
Hi Peaks,

It's true that as an organized group we will have a schedule that we do intend to keep. But as I mentioned, we want to have room in the schedule for an extra day here or there if the group needs it. As the Whites are so far into the hike, we could find ourselves off by a day or two, and thus miss our reservation. Your point about checking for vacancy as we draw closer is a good one.

Kozmic Zian
10-14-2004, 11:08
Yea.....Amen, A-Train.;)

swamp dawg
11-14-2004, 12:48
I met a guy on the trail that had spent every night in a motel while section hiking, Motel Man. He carried a pack so to me he was just another hiker with lots of neat stories. I know it seems like cheating when someone slacks but they are walking a footpath. I am just happy I am able to carry a pack over some fairly difficult sections of the trail.
Life is good....Swamp Dawg

Glee
11-14-2004, 13:28
p.s. As for this poll...I think anyone who has walked the entire trail in a single "hiking season" has the right to call themselves a thru-hiker and can be proud of what is a very difficult achievement.

So if a person completes the whole AT within 1 year, would most consider this person a Thru Hiker? In other words, what is a hiking season?

hacksaw
11-29-2004, 22:57
Are team hikers who carry shared gear legit? that's got to be considered a "slack pack" since you use things you ain't actually humpin' to do your hike.

I haven't read the whole thread and I'm sure that within 104 posts it's probably all been said, but my .02 is, if you take all the steps, do all the miles and don't lie about it, then you've done it. Your support team and what you carry or don't carry is purely up to you and your bank account. It's been done little and it's been done big. As long as you do it all, you did it.

Hacksaw

weary
11-29-2004, 23:14
. As long as you do it all, you did it. Hacksaw

I couldn't agree more, which is why I don't have a patch. But the collorary also should be true. If you don't do it all, don't ask for a patch.

Weary

Rocks 'n Roots
11-29-2004, 23:24
Call me an old curmudgeon, but I think the Earl Shaffer solo hiker carrying his pack all the way archetype should at least be attempted to be preserved. This approach keeps the Trail the wildest by relying on little support infrastructure and its inherent intrusion...

Lone Wolf
11-30-2004, 00:04
You and Wingfoot sound so much alike. You must be good buds. Will you be part of his entourage this spring? :rolleyes:

Fysh
11-30-2004, 00:28
Call me an old curmudgeon, but I think the Earl Shaffer solo hiker carrying his pack all the way archetype should at least be attempted to be preserved. This approach keeps the Trail the wildest by relying on little support infrastructure and its inherent intrusion...Master speaks. He alone has channeled the Spirit of the AT. It must be the truth.

Skyline
01-28-2005, 16:21
Hikers, thru- or section-, can skip whatever they want. But they should go back and make those sections up, at their convenience, before applying to ATC for the cert, rocker bar, and to have their name published in ATN.

weary
01-28-2005, 17:06
Master speaks. He alone has channeled the Spirit of the AT. It must be the truth.
Well, Fysh, you've proved you share (edited from the original "have read") one of OB's sillier conceits, but it's unclear to me what else you understand about issue under discussion.

The only rules are those published by ATC, which issues the patches and prints the names of those who claim to qualify. One doesn't need channeling to understand the wisdom of Earl Shaffer's multiple walks. He wrote a book about his first walk. He spoke and showed his slides to hundreds on the list. Others helped ease his way on his 50th anniversary hike, six years ago.

Weary

The Will
01-28-2005, 18:25
Interesting that the greatest percentage of people responding to this poll don't consider people who have slackpacked the whole trail in a single season to be legitimate thru-hikers. There is no minimum pack weight requirement for being a thru-hiker. A large proportion of posts on this board are in regards to weight reduction. Why exclude those who have found a solution to that problem that they are comfortable with, while still walking the same number steps?

orangebug
01-28-2005, 18:31
Well, Fysh, you've proved you have read one of OB's sillier conceits, but it's unclear to me what else you understand about issue under discussion....Take a look at the date on Fysh's note.

I suspect that Fysh may have detected channeling long before I recognized RnR's hidden talent.

Anything else you seek to understand?

weary
01-28-2005, 19:26
Take a look at the date on Fysh's note.

I suspect that Fysh may have detected channeling long before I recognized RnR's hidden talent.

Anything else you seek to understand?
Many thanks for the alert. I have amended my comments to a version you may find more appropriate.

Weary

daev.99
06-16-2005, 15:56
It doesnt matter how heavy someones pack is, or how much assistance they get. As long as they feel that they have achieved everything they set out to do, then surely it doesnt matter if they could have done it with a heavier load or less help.
And if some people only do it to break a record then all we can do is feel sorry for them that they have to do that to make themselves feel good.

Frosty
06-16-2005, 16:38
if some people only do it to break a record then all we can do is feel sorry for them that they have to do that to make themselves feel good.BRITANNUS (shocked). Caesar: this is not proper.
THEODOTUS (outraged). How!
CAESAR (recovering his self-possession). Pardon him. Theodotus: he is a barbarian, and thinks that the customs of his tribe and island are the laws of nature.

fiddlehead
06-16-2005, 22:09
Walkin's Walkin!

lazerzade
12-13-2005, 14:29
When you don’t carry a backpack it’s easy to do a lot of miles. Try hiking for months with everything on your back and camping every night. You guys can’t do it, I didn’t say it was easy.

Lone Wolf
12-13-2005, 14:36
When you don’t carry a backpack it’s easy to do a lot of miles. Try hiking for months with everything on your back and camping every night. You guys can’t do it, I didn’t say it was easy.
Been there and done it for thousands of miles son. And you?

Nightwalker
12-13-2005, 14:39
Age 23, posts 3.

Yup.

Gray Blazer
12-13-2005, 15:05
Great Thread!

Chef2000
12-13-2005, 15:55
How does ATC define thru-hiking?

We don't. ATC uses the term "2,000-miler" as a matter of tradition and convenience. ATC defines a "2,000-miler" as anyone who has hiked the entire Trail between Springer Mountain in Georgia and Katahdin in Maine. We don't consider issues such as the sequence, direction, speed or whether one carries a pack. We do expect that persons applying for inclusion in our 2,000-miler records have made an honest effort to walk the entire Trail.

The Cheat
12-13-2005, 17:57

LOL. Maybe it's the pack carriers that are ninnies? Big babies need shelter and food and stuff. A real thru-hiker doesn't need any of that stuff. Not even boots and socks! The only way to 'qualify' as a thru-hiker should be to get on one end and get off the other end and never leave the trail for anything in between. And don't wear or carry anything! If the trail doesn't provide it, you don't need it! :D

bfitz
12-13-2005, 18:03
Pack-slaves.

justusryans
12-13-2005, 20:12
Hiking is (or should be) a individual achievement. How anyone else hikes the trail isn't important. When did hiking become a sport?

KirkMcquest
12-13-2005, 20:14
A thru-hiker is generally considered someone who totes a pack, sleeps in tents or shelters, and hikes from Georgia to Maine. Although we use mail drops, resupply points, and stay in town when we can, we are generally living by our wits for five to six months.

Hiking with a support team and without a pack is not in the spirit of a thru-hike. There's a reason why people hike without a pack and without independence, because its easier.

Lone Wolf
12-13-2005, 20:16
Have you ever tried to cover 40 miles per day with no days off for 50 or so days? Betcha couldn't. You have no clue what you're talking about.

KirkMcquest
12-13-2005, 20:20
That would be impossible, because I'll be carrying a PACK! genius

smokymtnsteve
12-13-2005, 20:24
iMPOSSIBLE????
WRONG ....IT'S CERTAINLY NOT IMPOSSIBLE..

Lone Wolf
12-13-2005, 20:24
Sure cupcake.:D

smokymtnsteve
12-13-2005, 20:26
the AT is not real wilderness at all..but a highly civilized, very developed trail coridor , hiker highway,

bfitz
12-13-2005, 20:33
How's the sticker go?
Whats the difference between blueblazin, slackpackin hiker trash and purists?
The slackpacker don't mind if you're a purist....:p

TooTall
12-13-2005, 20:36
Anyone who walks 2,173 miles is a thru hiker...

The poll I would like to see is how many miles can one yellow blaze and still be a thru hiker. I would put the limit at about 15 and allow those only for special circumstances -- like making Katahdin ahead of a major storm.

I'd vote for 173 miles. You hiked the 2000 miles for the ATC patch. You did it in one year. That's enough for me to call someone a thru hiker.

Too Tall Paul

KirkMcquest
12-13-2005, 22:31
iMPOSSIBLE????
WRONG ....IT'S CERTAINLY NOT IMPOSSIBLE..

You poor man.

Frosty
12-13-2005, 22:44
Although we use mail drops, resupply points, and stay in town when we can, we are generally living by our wits for five to six months. Most impressive, especially from a New York City fella. Tell me more.

bfitz
12-13-2005, 23:09
Although we use mail drops, resupply points, and stay in town when we can, we are generally living by our wits for five to six months.
Come on, dude...that's like the south American jungle, not the AT...you might have to jury rig your tent poles for two days till you get to town, or throw a firecracker at a bear at the very worst...doesn't take much wit to walk, eat and sleep. Don't worry, if you have the wit to use the NYC subway system you have the wit to hike the AT. And then some.

bfitz
12-13-2005, 23:11
...And you will slackpack at some point, I guarantee it.

KirkMcquest
12-14-2005, 10:58
I've been hiking for years and have done good sized sections of the at. Doing any big journey, for an exteneded amount of time without alot of support does make some use of ones wits. Of course, I just added that part in for you non-New Yorkers.

kyhipo
12-14-2005, 11:06
Man If i could just have the slackpacking experience from georgia to maine :D ,I would consider it as a real cool christmas present:bse ky

KirkMcquest
12-14-2005, 11:53
Bottm line: If you're going to hike the trail, be a man, put on a pack, and do the trail. It's not a race, and if you approach it as such you miss the point entirely. Sleeping in nice hotels and riding in the passenger seat of your buddie's car is not hiking, And that would make you not a thru-hiker.

KirkMcquest
12-14-2005, 11:56
As for you people criticizing new yorkers, I have a suggestion. Just because your sister makes a lovely bride, that doesnt mean she's the one for you.

Lone Wolf
12-14-2005, 11:57
Bottm line: If you're going to hike the trail, be a man, put on a pack, and do the trail. It's not a race, and if you approach it as such you miss the point entirely. Sleeping in nice hotels and riding in the passenger seat of your buddie's car is not hiking, And that would make you not a thru-hiker.
Some pretty good s**t talkin from someone who hasn't done a "thru-hike yet. Your chance of ever completing one is slim.:D

kyhipo
12-14-2005, 11:59
Bottm line: If you're going to hike the trail, be a man, put on a pack, and do the trail. It's not a race, and if you approach it as such you miss the point entirely. Sleeping in nice hotels and riding in the passenger seat of your buddie's car is not hiking, And that would make you not a thru-hiker.personally dont think its about being a man or a lady some people have hiked the AT or various trails with packs on,and some are into different hikes anyway are we ever thru-hiking:cool: ky

SGT Rock
12-14-2005, 12:00
One of those know-it-alls that tells everyone else what it is like.

Be a man and put on a pack LOL. I never knew a pack is what made someone a man. I was told it was something else. I guess the ladies that backpack are, by your definition, trying to become men :rolleyes:

Frosty
12-14-2005, 12:14
I've been hiking for years and have done good sized sections of the at. Doing any big journey, for an exteneded amount of time without alot of support does make some use of ones wits. Of course, I just added that part in for you non-New Yorkers. Bottm line: If you're going to hike the trail, be a man, put on a pack, and do the trail.Yah, sure, you betcha. We non-New Yorkers understand that New Yorkers need to use all their wits while hiking. The rest of us bumpkins don't really hike to prove how manly we are, and take advantage of things like maps, handbooks, lightweight gear, hitching rides, hostels/motels, maildrops, supermarkets, stuff like that. It's the walk in the woods that counts for us simple folk, not how many pounds we manage to pile on our backs.

I have only hiked about half the trail, but in that half I met a few guys who think that the more weight you carry on your back, the more of a man you are. So I assume that you are that type of manly man, and eschew those non-manly titanium pots in favor of cast iron cookware?

Pack it on, brother - we are in awe of your wits and marvel at your manliness.

Mags
12-14-2005, 12:17
Remember folks it is just hiking. Enjoy what you are doing. How gives a sh** what someone else does for their enjoyment....

It is just hiking. Take the walk and enjoy...

MOWGLI
12-14-2005, 12:23
Bottm line: If you're going to hike the trail, be a man, put on a pack, and do the trail.

You know, I consider myself a life long New Yorker, but for the life of me, I don't understand the above comment. Are you saying;

a) Only men can/should hike the trail?

b) Women need to have a sex change operation before a hike on the AT?

c) Or is there something I missed?

rickb
12-14-2005, 12:24
I imagine myself preparring dinner among a bunch of traditional thru hikers up the trail some 1500 miles, when a new face introduces himself to the group.

Early on into the introductions, the new face shares that he slacking the whole way, thanks to the help of his wife in the Winnebego, who's been using the Duffus book:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0595243487/qid=1134577040/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl14/103-5978554-1748634?n=507846&s=books&v=glance

Right or wrong, I am thinking that the rest of the thru hikers might not immediately think of that new hiker as "one of us". Which is another way of saying legit. My guess is that they will be kind and all, but that down deep most will think like KirkMcquest.

I might be wrong, and hope I am. I like the Wolf-Rock vison much better.

bfitz
12-14-2005, 12:40
As for you people criticizing new yorkers, I have a suggestion. Just because your sister makes a lovely bride, that doesnt mean she's the one for you.
Wasn't criticizing any new yorkers, just pointing out that it doesn't take much "wit" to hike the trail, and that you probably have a sufficient quantity to do so if you can successfully navigate the subway (though, from what I can see so far, perhaps your attitude is a liability...) I bet you 50 bucks that you will at some point slackpack if you thru-hike. And I bet it happens by Erwin TN if not sooner. It'll be because you want to stay in town for a bit, but want to keep making miles so you don't get too far behind schedule. I bet you yellow blaze at some point, I hope you take the blue blaze past a sweet waterfall or something, and you ought to stay in damascus for trail days...you can make some miles there by slackpacking also. (you might even end up with a new trail name after people get to know you a little better...I wonder what it'll be...) Better remember to have fun or all your wit won't keep you from quitting...good luck, cap'n kirk.

max patch
12-14-2005, 12:41
Right or wrong, I am thinking that the rest of the thru hikers might not immediately think of that new hiker as "one of us". Which is another way of saying legit. My guess is that they will be kind and all, but that down deep most will think like KirkMcquest.

Rick, I think your guess is 100% accurate.

Or maybe not. I recall on my thru 2 or 3 guys who had hiked all the way to Hanover -- approx 1,700 or so miles -- had the opportunity to slack the rest of the way to Katahdin. I thot they were crazy to do so. They thot I was crazy for not joining them.

bfitz
12-14-2005, 12:42
I imagine myself preparring dinner among a bunch of traditional thru hikers up the trail some 1500 miles, when a new face introduces himself to the group.

Early on into the introductions, the new face shares that he slacking the whole way, thanks to the help of his wife in the Winnebego, who's been using the Duffus book:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0595243487/qid=1134577040/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl14/103-5978554-1748634?n=507846&s=books&v=glance

Are you kidding!? I'd become winnebago boy's best friend! I hope his wife is a good cook!

bfitz
12-14-2005, 12:45
I'd never seen the Duffus book before, but I'm ordering it right now! it can be considered a trail-magic guide as well.....Thanks rickboudrie!

Jaybird
12-14-2005, 12:45

Call them what U want...IF they hike every mile...i'd call 'em a THRU HIKER...backpack or not...

you have hikers everyday that apply for a "2000-miler" patch that intentionally miss whole sections of the trail...is that fair???:confused:

rickb
12-14-2005, 12:50
I'd never seen the Duffus book before

Some strange stuff came up when I put some trail terms into that new Google Book search engine. I have no idea if that book is any good or not. I would be warry of any book written by a Duffus, however.

SGT Rock
12-14-2005, 13:01
Call them what U want...IF they hike every mile...i'd call 'em a THRU HIKER...backpack or not...

you have hikers everyday that apply for a "2000-miler" patch that intentionally miss whole sections of the trail...is that fair???:confused:

If they (the ATC) give it to them, then I guess it is "fair" :rolleyes:

But it only matters if you worry about such things. Hike for your own reasons and for your own rewards. If that means hiking for a patch you already know anyone can get then you are already setting yourself up to be bitter if this bothers you. Think about it.

Stoker53
12-14-2005, 13:31
If you walk the entire distance you are a Thru Hiker regardless of the weight of your pack, or lack there of, and level of "support".

Are slack packers not allowed to hike there own hike without being denegrated?:-?

Frosty
12-14-2005, 14:02
Come listen to my tale of yuppie Kirk McQuest
A New York hiker who knew just what was best.

He was Hiking along, and using all his wits
Ate eggs ben-e-dict instead of southern grits.

His New York buds said, "Kirk, Carry a big pack.
You're just not a man unless you break your back."

Couldn't think on his own, and did was he was told.
But couldn't hack the trail, and his tent he did fold.

First chance he got, he dumped out all his gear.
His latte machine was left back in the rear.

Then Ron gave him a ride 'bout ten miles up the trail.
So with a much lighter pack through the woods Kirk did sail

He's no longer a man, but it don't bother him because:
The truth of the matter is ... that he never was!

We're all just hikers, walking in the woods.
We don't need no musts, and we don't need no shoulds.

You can thruhike the trail any way you like
Live and let live, and hike your own hike.

Jaybird
12-14-2005, 14:10
If they (the ATC) give it to them, then I guess it is "fair" :rolleyes:
But it only matters if you worry about such things. Hike for your own reasons and for your own rewards. If that means hiking for a patch you already know anyone can get then you are already setting yourself up to be bitter if this bothers you. Think about it.

HELL, ROCK!

I dont WORRY about a DAMN THANG!

some say thats my problem...hehehehehehehe!:D

Nice Poem, FROSTY!

MOWGLI
12-14-2005, 14:53

Ate eggs ben-e-dict instead of southern grits.

His New York buds said, "Kirk, Carry a big pack.
You're just not a man unless you break your back."

Couldn't think on his own, and did was he was told.
But couldn't hack the trail, and his tent he did fold.

First chance he got, he dumped out all his gear.
His latte machine was left back in the rear.

Then Ron gave him a ride 'bout ten miles up the trail.
So with a much lighter pack through the woods Kirk did sail

He's no longer a man, but it don't bother him because:
The truth of the matter is ... that he never was!

We're all just hikers, walking in the woods.
We don't need no musts, and we don't need no shoulds.

Nice little ditty Frosty. A wee bit more prickly than I would have done however. It goes well if sung to the tune of Beverly Hillbillies.

Frosty
12-14-2005, 17:49
Nice little ditty Frosty. A wee ... prickly Leave my prickly out of this. And stop peeking at my ditty!

The Cheat
12-14-2005, 18:04

...snip for length...

LOL! ROTFL! Awesome! Oh wait, I'm from New York!:datz

MOWGLI
12-14-2005, 18:21
Leave my prickly out of this. And stop peeking at my ditty!

If you didn't already have a trail name, I'd christen thee P. Ditty.

Stoker53
12-14-2005, 21:40
If you didn't already have a trail name, I'd christen thee P. Ditty.

Blew ice tea out my nose when I read this...LMAO:jump :jump :jump

ScottP
12-21-2005, 21:51
The great thing about hiking the AT is that it isn't competitive. No 'official' authority keeps time records, and all reporting is on the honor system.

You slackpacked and flew to the trailhead
Someone else backpacked and took a bus to the trailhead

so what?

People hike because they like hiking, and they hike their way because they like hiking that way, not because they get a gold medal for doing it quickly.

Walessp
12-22-2005, 10:04
Can't we all just get along? What ever happened to "hike your own hike" ??

Sky Rider

gumby
12-22-2005, 12:20

1. Yes 2. Most definitely.

They hiked it, doesn't matter how. HYOH

gumby

HarleyHogPit
12-22-2005, 12:21
HAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAA!!! Ya'll funny.

Burn
12-22-2005, 16:48

in yer senerio rick...most thruhikers would follow "dude" to his winner-baggo and try to hitch into town while drinking his yuengerlings and yogi-ing a shower and a stay in his soft bed.

some folks yogied some slackpackers in 04 so much they dropped the winner-baggo and started backpacking instead cause it was cheaper to hike than pay for everyone else's yogiing.

i don't think anyone really gives a rats ass about what anyone does out there or how they get there as long as it doesn't effect the AT as a whole.

MacGyver2005
12-23-2005, 08:38
I'd like to see how well these opinionated souls would do trying to navigate every day of a supported hike. There are a lot of roads out there, and a lot of the ones you hike across are pretty hard to find. Not only are you blasting out consistantly high-mileage days, you then have to figure out where the vehicle is, how to get out of there, and where you will be going the next day. How's that for a strong use of your "wits"?

Regards,
-MacGyver
GA-->ME

justusryans
12-23-2005, 08:44
I'd like to see how well these opinionated souls would do trying to navigate every day of a supported hike. There are a lot of roads out there, and a lot of the ones you hike across are pretty hard to find. Not only are you blasting out consistantly high-mileage days, you then have to figure out where the vehicle is, how to get out of there, and where you will be going the next day. How's that for a strong use of your "wits"?

Regards,
-MacGyver
GA-->ME

How about GPS?:D

MacGyver2005
12-23-2005, 09:21
How about GPS?:D

Sure thing...good luck with that. Pull out a GPS with it's whopping 3" screen, then figure out where you need to get to that's 30-40 road miles away. And just because things like "TomTom" advertise that they will talk you to your destination doesn't mean that it will do it successfully, especially on forest roads and all of those little back-country roads that cross the AT.

Regards,
-MacGyver
GA-->ME

Nean
12-23-2005, 12:15
I believe there are legitimate backpackers and legitimate slackpackers. I've done a little of both and both have thier pros and cons.
Packin pros: Freedom; cons: freedom weighs
Slackin pros: Easy walkin; cons: trail head camping and twisted drivers
Just a thought: Most people don't walk the whole way regardless, and consider themselves legit.

Burn
12-23-2005, 13:25

Regards,
-MacGyver
GA-->ME

it is amazingly easy to get from point a to point be in any vehicle, even on the fsr...you'll remember. when people pop outta no where with food and shelter and time on their hands, just to speak to little ol you. i gotta good taste of this, this year...what was so funny was how easy it actually is to find anyone...on trail...generally at a wim, cause we could track em down and shuttle em to town or pizza, just for the fun of it. and i definately never drove those TN or VA roads before in my life. it is just simply easy to do, if you set yer mind to it, and you really don't hike 40 miles a day, nor 10 miles in 45 mins. generally if i knew someone was gonna be anywhere near a location, from a starting point (even within a day or two head start) i could get to where they would come out before they got there. i don't know how it worked, but it did.

if yer gonna slack, say 10-15 miles, i can go eat, gas up, meetcha mid way with burgers, and meetcha at the other end....you gotta remember, most don't hike more than 1.5 - 2mph. even at 3 mph that's 5 hrs to play with.

Nightwalker
12-23-2005, 22:27
That would be impossible, because I'll be carrying a PACK! genius
Right.

So, your way or it's wrong?

Nightwalker
12-23-2005, 22:29
You poor man.
Your name wouldn't be "Steve", would it?

Nightwalker
12-24-2005, 03:06
Sure thing...good luck with that. Pull out a GPS with it's whopping 3" screen, then figure out where you need to get to that's 30-40 road miles away. And just because things like "TomTom" advertise that they will talk you to your destination doesn't mean that it will do it successfully, especially on forest roads and all of those little back-country roads that cross the AT.

Regards,
-MacGyver
GA-->ME
I could get you anywhere you wanna go with any of my five (yikes!) GPSRs. Ya just gotta know what you're doing.

Having said that, the only real need for a GPS on the trail is to make maps, which is what I use 'em for. The paper maps that are available have pretty legible roads and stuff, even though the trail data is often a bit out of date. I'm working on that last part, however.

BW2006
12-24-2005, 09:18
I think we should all hike our own hike and not worry about what or what not someone else is doing with their hike. Thru hiking should be a personal experience and if you want to race you race, if you want to stop and smell the roses you do just that. It does not matter how "the other guy" hikes it matters to ourselves how we hike!!!

hopefulhiker
12-24-2005, 16:28
My hat goes off to "Walt" who had to leave the trail in Bland VA with foot problems after carrying his 70 plus pound back pack from Springer. I hung around Walt because if I didn't have something chances were he did. I did the trail for pure enjoyment not to prove anything. I walked the whole thing in different directions but I still call it a through hike. I took almost seven months and had the time of my life. I was addicted to slack packing. There was no "van support" but I took the opportunnity when it presented itself and enjoyed the walk more. Put me in the snivelling category. Like the guy in Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance "I wanted to make good time, with the emphasis being on Good!" They should have a different category called thru backpacking.

kyhipo
12-24-2005, 20:55
cant we just put this one in stocking and stuff it :D ky who cares

KirkMcquest
01-03-2006, 21:47
Right.

So, your way or it's wrong?

no its not wrong, its just not a real thru- hike. you can hike it anyway you want to but there should be a distinction

KirkMcquest
01-03-2006, 21:49
Your name wouldn't be "Steve", would it?

I refuse to answer on the grounds that i might incriminate myself

KirkMcquest
01-03-2006, 22:04

Ate eggs ben-e-dict instead of southern grits. etc

Nice poem, just what I'd expect from a slack pack'in, tea tote'in, hacky sack play'in creme puff.

Pressure Treated
01-03-2006, 22:18
I believe as long as you walk the entire trail you have completed a thru hike. It doesn't matter what you carry, how you carry it our how long it takes. People make up all these rules and who the hell are they to say that their rules are right. Start in Georgia and walk to Maine. What goes on beyond that is part of the experience. Peace

MOWGLI
01-03-2006, 22:18
Don't feed the troll. Even if he lives under the 59th Street Bridge.

longshank
01-04-2006, 13:42
Going without a pack and catching rides is no longer hiking, it's long distance jogging. I guess if if it's just to much for you to handle, than you should do the best you can, though. It's all right, you'll be a big boy someday, little guy.

Cookerhiker
01-04-2006, 13:48
My hat goes off to "Walt" who had to leave the trail in Bland VA with foot problems after carrying his 70 plus pound back pack from Springer. I hung around Walt because if I didn't have something chances were he did. I did the trail for pure enjoyment not to prove anything. I walked the whole thing in different directions but I still call it a through hike. I took almost seven months and had the time of my life. I was addicted to slack packing. There was no "van support" but I took the opportunnity when it presented itself and enjoyed the walk more. Put me in the snivelling category. Like the guy in Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance "I wanted to make good time, with the emphasis being on Good!" They should have a different category called thru backpacking.

I hiked with Walt for about 6 days last May from Little Laurel Shelter to Hughes Gap. He helped me and many others with our sanity with his quick wit, much of which focused on his 70 lb pack. When I was with him, he had no maps and his watch wasn't working so he was forever asking me for the time and where we were. His watch was some sophisticated expensive type with numerous gadgets that did operate (he always knew the elevation) but I advised him to get something cheap that worked in Erwin. He did!! I enjoyed reminding him I was retired to which he always replied: "you can't be retired - get back to work so I can collect my social security!!"

Hope I run into him again sometime.

MOWGLI
01-04-2006, 13:53
Ignore those Mets fans too. Buncha sore losers. Especially if they live in Kings County. :welcome

ed bell
01-04-2006, 14:02
Hey Longshank, did you and Kirk graduate Lumberjack School in the same class? Please send Class photo as many members here at Whiteblaze have no idea what tough outdoorsmen look like.

longshank
01-04-2006, 14:09
Wasn't criticizing any new yorkers, just pointing out that it doesn't take much "wit" to hike the trail, and that you probably have a sufficient quantity to do so if you can successfully navigate the subway (though, from what I can see so far, perhaps your attitude is a liability...) I bet you 50 bucks that you will at some point slackpack if you thru-hike. And I bet it happens by Erwin TN if not sooner. It'll be because you want to stay in town for a bit, but want to keep making miles so you don't get too far behind schedule. I bet you yellow blaze at some point, I hope you take the blue blaze past a sweet waterfall or something, and you ought to stay in damascus for trail days...you can make some miles there by slackpacking also. (you might even end up with a new trail name after people get to know you a little better...I wonder what it'll be...) Better remember to have fun or all your wit won't keep you from quitting...good luck, cap'n kirk.
I don't define slackpacking as stopping in town, blue bazing, or anything like that. Getting rides and not carrying anything, sleeping in hotels EVERY night, that's a different story. It's not called SLACKpacking for nothing. Where have peoples senses of adventure gone? And as far as calling purists who just happen to be from NY "yuppies", nothing is yuppier than slackpacking. Kudos to McQuest for doing things the old way and not falling victim to the high-energy calorie burning extravaganza that only a true yuppie could have concocted.

Mags
01-04-2006, 14:13
I believe as long as you walk the entire trail you have completed a thru hike. It doesn't matter what you carry, how you carry it our how long it takes. People make up all these rules and who the hell are they to say that their rules are right. Start in Georgia and walk to Maine. What goes on beyond that is part of the experience. Peace

One of the most sensible statements I've seen on any of the hiking boards.

Seriously.

Thanks for sharing.

longshank
01-04-2006, 14:43
Or maybe I could pay to have myself fired out of a cannon from springer out to katahdin and make record time....Wait a minute, that would actually require guts....

SGT Rock
01-04-2006, 14:49
Hey Longshanks, you have 4 total posts and all are just to rip on others, so either start posting like a normal person and quit with you agenda, or go somewhere else.

longshank
Looks like someone is having my posts removed...sorry if I hurt anyone's feelings, I know how sensitive you slackers are.

Footslogger
....Wait a minute, that would actually require guts....
=================================
...and quite a cannon !!

'Slogger

longshank
01-04-2006, 14:54
Hey Longshanks, you have 4 total posts and all are just to rip on others, so either start posting like a normal person and quit with you agenda, or go somewhere else.
I was responding to negative posts by others. I don't see you removing those, sarge. If you're going to regulate what written here, do it fairly, at least. Don't play fav's. And as for the Kirk Mcquest remarks, we are not the same person, although we are very good friends and have been embarking on professional level expeditions into very remote locations for a good many years now.

SGT Rock
01-04-2006, 15:02
I ain't regulating anything except when a person comes here just to Troll. Others you mention are regular contributors that didn't like how Kirk Mcquest acts like he knows it all and makes slackpackers out to be less than men for some reason. I know some of those slackpackers and they are by no means pansys.

No, the thing I am asking you to watch is the fact that the only thing you have done is come here to talk ****. We don't really need that. You may think you are backing up your buddy, but it is simple schoolyard namecalling bull****.

Mags
01-04-2006, 15:03
I we are not the same person, although we are very good friends and have been embarking on professional level expeditions into very remote locations for a good many years now.

Put a button on your nose. :)

Really..who gives a crap what someone else does..eh?

Myself, I am an admitted wimp and a slacker. I just enjoy being outdoors when ever I can.

Alligator
01-04-2006, 15:04
...have been embarking on professional level expeditions into very remote locations for a good many years now.
High dollar tag team ass whores!

longshank
01-04-2006, 15:08
Actually, that's where you're WRONG. My friend simply stated opinions that conflicted with those held by others, at which point he was mocked, and gave back as good as he got. If people don't want their opinions ridiculed, then they would do well to operate under the credo that they seem quick to apply to others. Don't issue digs and expect not to get some back in return.

longshank
01-04-2006, 15:09
We do everthing without any outside assistance, and believe me we're far from wealthy.

longshank
01-04-2006, 15:10
Sarge, where did you go?

SGT Rock
01-04-2006, 15:15
So what does that have to do with your actions? I would guess nothing at all. Making excuses for what you feel you are doing is right even though I have explained why it is not welcome here.

And as to the rest - that is your opinion I am wrong about these people history and how KirkMcQuests actions are viewed. I have been here from the beginning and know how things go and how people are reacting, and what their posting history is. I guess if you had been here more than a few hours you wouldn't make a statement that asinine. You just started posting today but act like you have been here for years. Great way to introduce yourself to the community on this site.

Maybe you should do more than just troll on here. Offer some constructive help to others on threads, get to know the personalities here, and try to fit in and help people instead of trying to continue a verbal battle that was dying anyway.

bfitz
01-04-2006, 15:16
What about a sherpa?

longshank
01-04-2006, 15:19
Maybe he could carry me on his back...

longshank
01-04-2006, 15:32
So what does that have to do with your actions? I would guess nothing at all. Making excuses for what you feel you are doing is right even though I have explained why it is not welcome here.

And as to the rest - that is your opinion I am wrong about these people history and how KirkMcQuests actions are viewed. I have been here from the beginning and know how things go and how people are reacting, and what their posting history is. I guess if you had been here more than a few hours you wouldn't make a statement that asinine. You just started posting today but act like you have been here for years. Great way to introduce yourself to the community on this site.

Maybe you should do more than just troll on here. Offer some constructive help to others on threads, get to know the personalities here, and try to fit in and help people instead of trying to continue a verbal battle that was dying anyway.
This will be my last bit of input on the topic: Self-admitedly these people are your friends. You will see it their way regardless of my point of of view, which is fine. But that is not a sound ground for censorship. Furthermore, I think many here are more than ready to inject their share of smack-talking into any given line of convo, even (and especially, in this case) your friends. Either edit all fairly, friends or not, or edit no one, but it is not right to take sides when it comes to something like this. I have backtracked through threads and can certainly find enough blame to go around. It was fine for them to gang up on Kirk, but when he gained an ally, all of a sudden it was a problem. This is schoolyard mentality if ever I've seen it.

bfitz
01-04-2006, 15:32
I don't define slackpacking as stopping in town, blue bazing, or anything like that. Getting rides and not carrying anything, sleeping in hotels EVERY night, that's a different story. It's not called SLACKpacking for nothing. Where have peoples senses of adventure gone? And as far as calling purists who just happen to be from NY "yuppies", nothing is yuppier than slackpacking. Kudos to McQuest for doing things the old way and not falling victim to the high-energy calorie burning extravaganza that only a true yuppie could have concocted.
I don't think I have ever used the word "yuppie" in this forum until just now. If you can manage to slack and make it to a hotel room every night you're more a badass than most hikers because you're doing daily miles a slacker like me can barely comprehend. When I'm slacking all it means is I'm not carrying supplies for the nightime. I'm strolling along relaxing. I probably do less miles than I would have with a pack, and I go back to town and party that night, meaning likely less miles the next day, too. I wouldn't dream of doing some sort of extreme miles 30-50 miles every day with road support at every crossing and hotels every night, doing and that kind of thing. If you think thats slacking I'd like to see you try it...I wouldn't, I don't have the guts or the stamina, (or the inclination). But I've got respect for those badasses. I say kudos to everyone who does things their own way, and belittlement to those who belittle others.

SGT Rock
01-04-2006, 15:37
Actually I haven't edited anything. I don't have a clue why you keep saying that.

Anyway, get off you high horse and quit defending poor behavior or encouraging it by your actions in continuiong the verbal gang fight; neither is a good thing but you seem to think that poor behavior should somehow be allowed if it is continued fairly. That is what I am trying to convince you to stop.

All I said originally was to stop trolling and contribute, I can't see how you are offended by either of these statements.

longshank
01-04-2006, 15:39
What do you do when the next town is 2 days away?

bfitz
01-04-2006, 15:43
What do you do when the next town is 2 days away?Get picked up at the road and go back to the town I started from to party, thats probably why Im slacking in the first place!

longshank
01-04-2006, 15:44
Actually I haven't edited anything. I don't have a clue why you keep saying that.

Anyway, get off you high horse and quit defending poor behavior or encouraging it by your actions in continuiong the verbal gang fight; neither is a good thing but you seem to think that poor behavior should somehow be allowed if it is continued fairly. That is what I am trying to convince you to stop.

All I said originally was to stop trolling and contribute, I can't see how you are offended by either of these statements.
Someone has been striking my previous posts, and I thought by the way you were lecturing that you were a mediator for the site. And I agree with you, this whole thing should have never began, but my point is that all involved have some blame to pick up, not just my friend. I defend mine just as you defend yours. Let's not have anything more said about, this is beyond retarded already.

Alligator
01-04-2006, 15:46
What do you do when the next town is 2 days away?
Call your pimp and tell him you'll be late for your next match.

longshank
01-04-2006, 15:49
Get picked up at the road and go back to the town I started from to party, thats probably why Im slacking in the first place!
I know you never said "yuppie", that was just a broad response to various criticisms. But I don't undersatnd something. You start at town A, having partied up, and set out. T he next town is 2 or 3 days away. How do you make it night to night with no gear?

longshank
01-04-2006, 15:50
Call your pimp and tell him you'll be late for your next match.
That's alright, he said your mom would cover my shift.

longshank
01-04-2006, 15:54
I know you never said "yuppie", that was just a broad response to various criticisms. But I don't undersatnd something. You start at town A, having partied up, and set out. T he next town is 2 or 3 days away. How do you make it night to night with no gear?
Do you mean you get rides back and forth every night? How do you arrange all that?

Alligator
01-04-2006, 15:54
That's alright, he said your mom would cover my shift.
There you go, I was beginning to doubt you were from NY.

At least my mom works. Not only is your momma too ugly to work, she smells bad in the dark too.

SGT Rock
01-04-2006, 15:57
Nope, not a moderator. I am an administrator. There are only two Administrators for the site. I prefer to convince people by talking to them and avoid censorship whenever possible, leaving that to the individual to decide to either not step over that line, or pull themselves back when they do.

Even so, if I was just another joe on the site, I wouldn't want to read the kind of crap if it is only name calling and nothing else. A good argument for a point of view starts with a statement, supports it with facts, and comes to a conclusion.

Calling someone a pansy for not carrying a pack totally misses the point of why someone might chose not to carry a pack on any day or a whole trip - basically assumes there is something less than worthy about them and how they choose to hike, and also assumes that some are more worthy because how they decide to hike. Last I remember there aren't any "rules" about how you have to hike - well other than leave no trace.

So to get mad when people disagree with Kirk McQuest for belittling folks for their hiking style and being sort of immature and closed minded is sort of funny when you think about it. Might as well make fun of folks that decide to wear a pink hat or carry a little orange trowel. Or for not joining the military, or for not wearing a beard or whatever. See, attacking people for something as innocuous as how they decide to hike is just silly.

longshank
01-04-2006, 15:58
There you go, I was beginning to doubt you were from NY.

At least my mom works. Not only is your momma too ugly to work, she smells bad in the dark too.
Your momma looks like an extra on the simpsons.

bfitz
01-04-2006, 15:59
I go to the next road crossing, where my pick-up is waiting, then back to my already purchased hotel room, or cool person in town Ive just met's house, and stay there. If I plan to go to the next town or further, I'm not slacking, I bring my gear. Slacking is so I can extend a visit to a particular place (like damascus during trail days or the hostel at Miss Janets, or some new party companions generously offered porch or wherever. The next day I get dropped off at the same road crossing and move on or do it again. Sometimes to make it easier on my ride, I get dropped off at said road crossing and southbound back into town, then nobo from the same spot the next day, or whatever. I'm not going to miss a good time or new friend by being some kind of stickler for any particular type of hiking dogma...thats a good way to ruin your fun and end up quitting.

Footslogger
01-04-2006, 15:59
Meanwhile ...back at the thread

'Slogger

longshank
01-04-2006, 16:01
Nope, not a moderator. I am an administrator. There are only two Administrators for the site. I prefer to convince people by talking to them and avoid censorship whenever possible, leaving that to the individual to decide to either not step over that line, or pull themselves back when they do.

Even so, if I was just another joe on the site, I wouldn't want to read the kind of crap if it is only name calling and nothing else. A good argument for a point of view starts with a statement, supports it with facts, and comes to a conclusion.

Calling someone a pansy for not carrying a pack totally misses the point of why someone might chose not to carry a pack on any day or a whole trip - basically assumes there is something less than worthy about them and how they choose to hike, and also assumes that some are more worthy because how they decide to hike. Last I remember there aren't any "rules" about how you have to hike - well other than leave no trace.

So to get mad when people disagree with Kirk McQuest for belittling folks for their hiking style and being sort of immature and closed minded is sort of funny when you think about it. Might as well make fun of folks that decide to wear a pink hat or carry a little orange trowel. Or for not joining the military, or for not wearing a beard or whatever. See, attacking people for something as innocuous as how they decide to hike is just silly.
I do make fun of people who wear little pink hats, but that's besides the point. My friend initially stated an innocuos personal opinion and was lambasted for it. That's the bottom line, whether you chose to acknowledge it or not. He didn't start calling names until that happened.

KirkMcquest
01-04-2006, 16:02
I ain't regulating anything except when a person comes here just to Troll. Others you mention are regular contributors that didn't like how Kirk Mcquest acts like he knows it all and makes slackpackers out to be less than men for some reason. I know some of those slackpackers and they are by no means pansys.

No, the thing I am asking you to watch is the fact that the only thing you have done is come here to talk ****. We don't really need that. You may think you are backing up your buddy, but it is simple schoolyard namecalling bull****.

Hey, I heard I'm the topic of conversation! Sgt., its obvious that you know some of these slackpackers, your lopsided enforcement of the rules can attest to that. I've been a 'cupcake', a yuppie, and a troll. Where was you're righteous indignation? Someone wrote a two page poem disparaging myself and New Yorkers in generall. Where were you hiding?

How come there is a post calling me and longshanks 'ass whore's' ( I guess thats not school yard bull**). I never complained, and neither did you. How do I act like I know it all, because I had a different opinion? If you go back and read the posts, you'll see that I was attacked for having an opinion.

I guess Sgt. Rock's friends are the only people allowed to be offensive on this web site.

bfitz
01-04-2006, 16:08
Hey, I heard I'm the topic of conversation! Sgt., its obvious that you know some of these slackpackers, your lopsided enforcement of the rules can attest to that. I've been a 'cupcake', a yuppie, and a troll. Where was you're righteous indignation? Someone wrote a two page poem disparaging myself and New Yorkers in generall. Where were you hiding?

How come there is a post calling me and longshanks 'ass whore's' ( I guess thats not school yard bull**). I never complained, and neither did you. How do I act like I know it all, because I had a different opinion? If you go back and read the posts, you'll see that I was attacked for having an opinion.

I guess Sgt. Rock's friends are the only people allowed to be offensive on this web site.
He's not telling you not to be offensive...if you can offend and still be as funny as that poem it ought to stand...he's just saying that this one guy had nothing to offer but belligerance, unmitigated by any homor or history of positive or real contribution to the site...I've found you can insult anyone you like on this site so long as it's funny, and you get the "tone" just right...ya know what I mean, cupcake?

Frosty
01-04-2006, 16:10
I do make fun of people who wear little pink hats, but that's besides the point. My friend initially stated an innocuos personal opinion and was lambasted for it. That's the bottom line, whether you chose to acknowledge it or not. He didn't start calling names until that happened.Actually, the first post you/he had in this thread you/he titled "Wimps." Go back and look it up. It was under your kirkmcquest login.

longshank
01-04-2006, 16:14
Actually, the first post you/he had in this thread you/he titled "Wimps." Go back and look it up. It was under your kirkmcquest login.
You really want us to be the same person. what do you think, that I'm sitting in front of two computers? We're both logged on, dip****.

KirkMcquest
01-04-2006, 16:14
We're not the same person.

longshank
01-04-2006, 16:15
He's not telling you not to be offensive...if you can offend and still be as funny as that poem it ought to stand...he's just saying that this one guy had nothing to offer but belligerance, unmitigated by any homor or history of positive or real contribution to the site...I've found you can insult anyone you like on this site so long as it's funny, and you get the "tone" just right...ya know what I mean, cupcake?
I don't know, I though I was pretty funny...

longshank
01-04-2006, 16:16
Hopefully our

Nightwalker
01-04-2006, 16:17
I was responding to negative posts by others. I don't see you removing those, sarge. If you're going to regulate what written here, do it fairly, at least. Don't play fav's. And as for the Kirk Mcquest remarks, we are not the same person, although we are very good friends and have been embarking on professional level expeditions into very remote locations for a good many years now.
Details. We need details. Especially names of LD hiking folks that you met.

:-?

longshank
01-04-2006, 16:17
hopefully our simutaneous post will dispel all myths of mcQuest and myself being the same person. As if it was possible to pack that much man into man into one body...

bfitz
01-04-2006, 16:19
I don't know, I though I was pretty funny...
It's an overall context thing...just like when talking politics at a dinner party.

longshank
01-04-2006, 16:19

I'm not sure I know what you're talking about...

KirkMcquest
01-04-2006, 16:20

Give me a break

Nightwalker
01-04-2006, 16:23
hopefully our simutaneous post will dispel all myths of mcQuest and myself being the same person. As if it was possible to pack that much man into man into one body...
I'm glad that I've gotten old enough to be able to resist an obvious setup/opening like this...

MOWGLI
01-04-2006, 16:26
So Mr Longshank & McQuest. For being New Yorkers, you two certainly are thin-skinned. You see, it takes one to know one, and I am a life long New Yorker. Frosty's poem was kinda funny. A little prickly, but funny nonetheless.

What's Frank talkin' about? Please tell us about your experience, your future plans, and stuff like that. What do you mean by "professional level expeditions"? Are we talkin' Patagonia or Staten Island? Are you planning a thru-hike of the AT or some other long distance trail? Done that already? Please DO tell. When you join a site with guns a blazin', yet you haven't shared any of your experiences, its tough to take you seriously.

So how about it? Lets change the tone & tenor and discuss hiking. Not what we think of people who don't like to hike the same as you & me and Bobbi McGee.

ed bell
01-04-2006, 16:26
I'm glad that I've gotten old enough to be able to resist an obvious setup/opening like this...

I moved along as well.:D

longshank
01-04-2006, 16:27
I'm glad you've gotten to the point where you've learned to stifle such disgusting fantasies. One day at a time, buddy.

Mags
01-04-2006, 16:30
IMy friend initially stated an innocuos personal opinion and was lambasted for it.

When I was in my family's ancestral village of Guarcino (about 2 hrs south and east of Rome in the mountains) I had lamb basted with olive oil, garlic and rosemary. It was then grilled. Man...was that delicious! What a great "secondo" (second course) Mmmm.... lamb basting is yummy!.

For primo (first course) we had spaghetti alle chittara con funghi. (Spaghetti shapped like guitar strings with mushrooms). I liberally added the hot pepper. My grandfather's cousin told me that is how he knew I was truly a Magnanti..I love hot,spicy food.

But, anyway..I love lamb basted. Mmmmm

Back to our regularly schedule lambasting... I'll stick to the food type. ;)

justusryans
01-04-2006, 16:32
Very Good Mags!!! :D:D:D

KirkMcquest
01-04-2006, 16:37
So Mr Longshank & McQuest. For being New Yorkers, you two certainly are thin-skinned. You see, it takes one to know one, and I am a life long New Yorker. Frosty's poem was kinda funny. A little prickly, but funny nonetheless.

What's Frank talkin' about? Please tell us about your experience, your future plans, and stuff like that. What do you mean by "professional level expeditions"? Are we talkin' Patagonia or Staten Island? Are you planning a thru-hike of the AT or some other long distance trail? Done that already? Please DO tell. When you join a site with guns a blazin', yet you haven't shared any of your experiences, its tough to take you seriously.

So how about it? Lets change the tone & tenor and discuss hiking. Not what we think of people who don't like to hike the same as you & me and Bobbi McGee.

This is just the kind of passive aggressive sarcasm that gets you Johnny-rebs in trouble. You're as New York as I'm southern.

KirkMcquest
01-04-2006, 16:43
When I was in my family's ancestral village of Guarcino (about 2 hrs south and east of Rome in the mountains) I had lamb basted with olive oil, garlic and rosemary. It was then grilled. Man...was that delicious! What a great "secondo" (second course) Mmmm.... lamb basting is yummy!.

For primo (first course) we had spaghetti alle chittara con funghi. (Spaghetti shapped like guitar strings with mushrooms). I liberally added the hot pepper. My grandfather's cousin told me that is how he knew I was truly a Magnanti..I love hot,spicy food.

But, anyway..I love lamb basted. Mmmmm

Back to our regularly schedule lambasting... I'll stick to the food type. ;)

Hey! let's start attacking each others grammer and spelling now!!!

Nightwalker
01-04-2006, 16:45
This is just the kind of passive aggressive sarcasm that gets you Johnny-rebs in trouble. You're as New York as I'm southern.
He grew up in NY. And you're not educated enough to be from the South...

:D

Mags
01-04-2006, 16:49
Hey! let's start attacking each others grammer and spelling now!!!
Actually, I think you spelled it correctly. Not attack anything. :)

I am just telling a charming tale of some delicious lamb basting. Maybe it is the Italian in me, but I'd rather discuss food than insult you. ;)

Alligator
01-04-2006, 16:50
was that con funghi or con fungu.

longshank
01-04-2006, 16:51

southern education is a contradiction of terms.

KirkMcquest
01-04-2006, 16:51

The words 'educated' and 'south' in the same sentence?

longshank
01-04-2006, 16:55
The words 'educated' and 'south' in the same sentence?
Counter-intuitive, isn't it Kirk?

Mags
01-04-2006, 16:59
was that con funghi or con fungu.
Con funghi = with mushrooms

If I was to literally translate "with mushroom sauce" it would be
"con salsa di fungo" (with sauce of mushroom actually)...but, at least on the menu I saw, it is normally written "con funghi" to describe the sauce it is with.

Capish?<-- southern Italian dialect. :)

Ask me to speak all this and it sounds just terrible! My American accent is very bad!

One last note.. "fungu" is rather close to a a dialect word that well, I am not going to translate. ;)

KirkMcquest
01-04-2006, 17:05
Counter-intuitive, isn't it Kirk?

Seems wrong somehow. Of course I'm a fansy New York yuppie so what do I know.

Frosty
01-04-2006, 17:21
Frosty's ... little pricklyHey! I thought we'd agreed not to discuss my little prickly anymore.

P. Ditty

Frosty
01-04-2006, 17:32
You really want us to be the same person. what do you think, that I'm sitting in front of two computers? We're both logged on, dip****.My wife and I share a computer and have separate logins, and we can both log in at the same time on the same computer.