PDA

View Full Version : place to camp on ridge near High Rocks?

Ashepabst
02-03-2009, 11:41
can anyone let me know what it's like on this end of Welch's Ridge? i've been wanting to check out High Rocks for some time now, it's just so hard to make into a 1night trip. anyone know if there are any viable spots for one tent on this ridge? maybe at water oak gap or bear wallow bald? is the understory heavy?

thanks for your help.

Kerosene Charlie
02-03-2009, 12:16
No legal places to camp along Welch Ridge and the terrain will make it very difficult to stealth camp. Closest legal sites are Hazel Creek (Bone Valley site and Calhoun site - my favorite is Bone Valley) and the Forney Creek side at Poplar Flats site (pretty unremarkable). Don't know the areas you mentioned. Quickest one nighter probably would be from the end of the "Road to Nowhere," past Poplar Flats, up to High Rocks and return. If you had time, a shuttle across Fontana, up Hazel Creek past Bone Valley and up Cold Spring Gap trail to High Rocks would be a beautiful hike. Would have to arrange a back and forth shuttle across the lake for a one nighter. Best of luck!
Kerosene Charlie

gollwoods
02-09-2009, 20:18
there is a spring north of wateroak gap on the trail, it was running in 2007 i noticed what looked like a tent spot on high rocks by the old fire tower.

Ashepabst
02-10-2009, 18:16
there is a spring north of wateroak gap on the trail, it was running in 2007 i noticed what looked like a tent spot on high rocks by the old fire tower.

Was the firetower next to the cabin?

humunuku
02-10-2009, 18:58
Was the firetower next to the cabin?
yes - the tower was removed, the cabin is still there (and its very cool)

TIDE-HSV
06-02-2009, 20:19
We, a party of about six, stealth-camped (dry) by the old fire tower before it was moved. It was a very neat site, with beautiful views. I'll PM you, since you've probably stopped looking for replies...

OPIE
09-29-2009, 15:17
a group that I was with at Bone Valley got permission to camp near the old spring up there. They got to the spring and there was a med/large sized black in the spring. They ended up pushing through after the multiple bear sightings in the area to Double springs Shelter.