PDA

View Full Version : Trek

TOW
02-03-2009, 12:35
Trek just rolled into town.

First northbounder I met this year, he says it's his 7th thru!

Lone Wolf
02-03-2009, 12:40
Trek just rolled into town. he says it's his 7th thru!

i must be true

Tinker
02-03-2009, 12:44
i must be true

You must! ;)

TOW
02-03-2009, 12:47
i must be trueoh you are and you know it............:banana

jlb2012
02-03-2009, 13:31
not bad time - I saw him leave on New Years Day on Springer

TOW
02-03-2009, 14:49
he says kayak karl should be rolling in anytime, he thought he was a day or two behind him......

Rockhound
02-03-2009, 16:45
Last year when Trek arrived at the hostel where I was volunteering, he was the first thru-hiker I met that year. I gave him the choice of the bunkhouse or cabin. He chose the bunkhouse. It's heated by a wood stove so I told him I'd get a fire going for him. He also wanted a shower first so I got him a towel and turned the hot water on for him. By this time he had made his way to the computer room, which at the time had a broken mouse. He was upset by this and told me as much. He said, and I quote, "This is no way to run a hostel". I explained that I was going to buy one to replace it but for now I would see if I could borrow one from inside that he could use right after I got the wood stove going. I got the fire started and as soon as I walked back outside I was met by a shout of "Where's that mouse!" which I immediately got for him. A few minutes later he went to the bunkhouse and was unsatisfied with the fire I had built for him. I said, "It takes a little while to heat up, but when it does, keep feeding it, turn the dampers down and turn the blower on and you should be fine." He explained he was from NH. and knew how to use a wood stove. I explained that I was from MA and also knew how to use one but if he wasn't happy with the fire I built he was welcome to take over, at which point I went to split some wood so he would have enough to get through the night. After bumping heads with him a couple more times I suggested we just dont talk to each other for the rest of his stay. We did'nt and he left early the next morning after leaving a note for Curtis saying "Keep an eye on this guy, he's going to ruin your hostel".

TOW
02-03-2009, 17:45
Just think Rockhound, one of these days you'll be an old fart too.........

yappy
02-03-2009, 17:51
ugh, that doesn't sound so great...

Rockhound
02-03-2009, 18:12
Just think Rockhound, one of these days you'll be an old fart too.........
I'm almost there. Don't rush me

flemdawg1
02-03-2009, 18:14
Well atleast he didn't make you use trekking poles that would've been unforgivable. ;-)

TOW
02-03-2009, 19:44
Trek is sitting right across from me eating his third plate hog jowls, chitlin's, and cat brains.........I found a dead cat in the road earlier and told him it was hog brains from a minature pot belly pig and he said "heck yeah, that's good eating!"

CrumbSnatcher
02-04-2009, 00:46
Trek is sitting right across from me eating his third plate hog jowls, chitlin's, and cat brains.........I found a dead cat in the road earlier and told him it was hog brains from a minature pot belly pig and he said "heck yeah, that's good eating!"
please no cat brains when i roll thru,

kayak karl
02-04-2009, 03:36
he says kayak karl should be rolling in anytime, he thought he was a day or two behind him......
try 2-3 weeks. trek is flying :) say Hi to him for me.

TOW
02-04-2009, 09:26
try 2-3 weeks. trek is flying :) say Hi to him for me.
And there it is there, the truth has emerged from the depths........

Sharkey
02-04-2009, 09:48
Kayak Karl,
Good to meet you at Icewater Spring Shelter. I enjoyed reading your Trailjournals post. I'm sure Jordan did too. Hope you are enjoying your hike and good luck.

Ramble~On
02-04-2009, 10:03
Last year when Trek arrived at the hostel where I was volunteering, he was the first thru-hiker I met that year. I gave him the choice of the bunkhouse or cabin. He chose the bunkhouse. It's heated by a wood stove so I told him I'd get a fire going for him. He also wanted a shower first so I got him a towel and turned the hot water on for him. By this time he had made his way to the computer room, which at the time had a broken mouse. He was upset by this and told me as much. He said, and I quote, "This is no way to run a hostel". I explained that I was going to buy one to replace it but for now I would see if I could borrow one from inside that he could use right after I got the wood stove going. I got the fire started and as soon as I walked back outside I was met by a shout of "Where's that mouse!" which I immediately got for him. A few minutes later he went to the bunkhouse and was unsatisfied with the fire I had built for him. I said, "It takes a little while to heat up, but when it does, keep feeding it, turn the dampers down and turn the blower on and you should be fine." He explained he was from NH. and knew how to use a wood stove. I explained that I was from MA and also knew how to use one but if he wasn't happy with the fire I built he was welcome to take over, at which point I went to split some wood so he would have enough to get through the night. After bumping heads with him a couple more times I suggested we just dont talk to each other for the rest of his stay. We did'nt and he left early the next morning after leaving a note for Curtis saying "Keep an eye on this guy, he's going to ruin your hostel".

Interesting! Reminds me of a guy who used to live in Hot Springs. He'd hiked a couple times and got this notion that he deserved some kind of special treatment. I think he put out some books and had a website too.

Rockhound
02-04-2009, 14:59
Not trying to sound too harsh. Perhaps he was having a bad day. Perhaps we both were. Met Trek again in the fall in Rutland when I was sectioning and we got along fine. In fact he didn't even remember me. Not sure if that's good or bad. Still, first impressions are lasting, at least for me. Not trying to slight the man. If he wants to be the first to Mt K each year and that's his thing, kudos for Trek. It's a hell of a challenge. Just think he might try being a little nicer to all the people supporting him along the way.

berninbush
02-04-2009, 15:23
Rockhound, what's your motive in telling that story?

If you're trying to warn people that he's rude... if it's true that he's always that rude, they'd discover it pretty quickly for themselves. If he was, as you say, just having a bad day, then it's pretty ungenerous to bring it back up after all this time and hurt his reputation. We all have bad days and sometimes need forgiveness.

If you're looking for revenge, or looking to provoke a response from him on this thread, you're mostly succeeding in making yourself look petty. It gives him the opportunity to take the high road by simply refusing to be baited.

TOW
02-04-2009, 17:01
Well I am going to say this, my impression of Trek is good. I met the man last year and he finally took my invite to dinner. I will have to agree with Berninbush.

What's the point Rockhound?

Rockhound
02-04-2009, 21:38
I would have called it bitterness but you are welcome to call it petty revenge. My last post was an attempt to tone down the impression I may have given regarding Trek in previous posts. Everyone is "entitled" to a bad day. On the other hand nobody deserves to get treated with contempt and disrespect for no reason. Some, otherwise decent people, have that character flaw of treating anyone in a position of service or anyone different than they are like crap. Perhaps I have the character flaw of not always being able to let go or turn the other cheek. So I vented. My apologies.

Kanati
02-04-2009, 23:15
Well I am going to say this, my impression of Trek is good. I met the man last year and he finally took my invite to dinner. I will have to agree with Berninbush.

What's the point Rockhound?

Remember a few days back when the thread came out about our old buddy Crutch? The opinions of him were split. Some hikers raked him over the coals pretty good. Others had nice things to say about him. I found him arrogant and a braggart, and he got short with us a couple of times. So, my opinion of him is not too high. Wonder if the cops ever caught up to him?

Rockhound
02-04-2009, 23:50
Remember a few days back when the thread came out about our old buddy Crutch? The opinions of him were split. Some hikers raked him over the coals pretty good. Others had nice things to say about him. I found him arrogant and a braggart, and he got short with us a couple of times. So, my opinion of him is not too high. Wonder if the cops ever caught up to him?
Any differences I may have with Trek aside, it would be unfair to draw any association with him and that wanted felon. One is retired military, has thru-hiked 6 (going on 7) times, and uses the trail as a personal challenge each year. The other is a wanted thief and known predator who uses the trail as his feeding ground each year. Fortunately I suspect he realizes the heat is on and wont be showing his face anywhere near the AT.

Sly
02-04-2009, 23:58
Rockhound, seems like you did everything you could to please Trek. I wouldn't have been so hospitable to the point where I'd say don't come back.

TOW
02-05-2009, 06:37
Any differences I may have with Trek aside, it would be unfair to draw any association with him and that wanted felon. One is retired military, has thru-hiked 6 (going on 7) times, and uses the trail as a personal challenge each year. The other is a wanted thief and known predator who uses the trail as his feeding ground each year. Fortunately I suspect he realizes the heat is on and wont be showing his face anywhere near the AT.
good analysis!

Kanati
02-05-2009, 15:43

Are you sure you got the point.....?

Kanati
02-05-2009, 15:48

Has he been convicted by a jury of his peers or did you just do that? If I remember correctly the thread stated that he was wanted for questioning. Thankfully this is America where we do have a judicial system that sometimes works. Let's give him a fair chance, how bout it? Just because I possess a lack of respect for him, that don't make him guilty of a crime.

HikerRanky
02-05-2009, 17:23
This is not a jury, and as such, no sentencing will be posted.... Closed