PDA

View Full Version : Attaching Straps to Bottom of Frameless Backpack

Takoda
02-03-2009, 13:18
Has anyone tried to attached straps to the bottom of a frameless backpack. I like the backpack, but I would also like to be able to carry my sleeping pad outside the bottom of it. Other than buy another pack, any suggestions??

garlic08
02-03-2009, 13:22
I'm not sure I understand--the frameless packs I've seen use the sleeping pad as the frame/support. What kind of pack is it, and what are you using for support, if not the pad?

Takoda
02-03-2009, 14:18
I have a GoLite Frameless Pack. There is a thin layer of foam in the back for support. I had not thought of using the sleeping pad. I guess I could cut out the foam and substitute the sleep pad??

garlic08
02-03-2009, 19:53
Sorry, not that familiar with GoLite. I have seen some GoLite users make a cylinder out of the pad and line the pack with it. Seems to work well from what I've seen. Good luck!

hootyhoo
02-03-2009, 20:11
After I removed the hydration sleeve from the inside and attached it to the exterior pocket I added two straps below. Now the pack can stand on its own. I did a frame sheet mod to add support that the z-rest used to give and that pack was a joy to carry.
Go for it.

hootyhoo
02-03-2009, 20:11
Forgot the link to pics - http://www.flickr.com/photos/13716428@N03/page2/?savedsettings=3228516647#photo3228516647

Stormennorm
02-03-2009, 20:23
I used a pinnicle pack on my thru last year with my pad on the bottom there are two loops on the bottom of the pack used for shrinking the pack for smaller loads i ussed these small bunge things with a ball on the end to hold my pad there but just a small string would do the same thing.

1-2-Many
02-03-2009, 20:37
I have a Go-Lite Jampack - I use my Prolite 4 pad for a semi frame for my pack and Jam everything else in. This also keeps akwardly shaped Items from poking into you back or causing a tear in your bag. - I camp with a tarp. So after I pack for the day and cinch the top closed I put tarp on the outside over the whole with that days lunch in it. I also tend to carry a crazy creek chair on weekend or short trips which I can easily strap onto the gear loops on the outside of a pack. In inclement weather I use a sil-nylon pack cover to keep everything dry.

Rain Man
02-03-2009, 23:44
Has anyone tried to attached straps to the bottom of a frameless backpack. I like the backpack, but I would also like to be able to carry my sleeping pad outside the bottom of it.

I've done that several times, to a few different packs, mostly to my REI UL 45. I just bought two straps at REI, and ran one end around the hip belt somewhere and the other around the "ice pick" attachment on the bottom back (or is it called "front") of the pack, and that was that. Worked acceptably well.

Come to think of it, maybe you consider the UL 45 an internal frame pack, not a frameless pack. In which case, oops!

Rain:sunMan