PDA

View Full Version : Gatlinburg advice needed...

sam4msu
02-03-2009, 13:35
I have never been into Gatlinburg, only past it on the trail. My wife and I are going for a few days this weekend and I have no idea of where to stay or what to do. I figure the what to do will take care of itself once we are there. As far as where to stay, there are so many cheap places that I don't have a clue as to which to pick. The internet can make a crappy place look like the Taj Mahal. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I might add that hiking is out of the question unfortunately as I am scheduled for surgery at the end of the month to fix a ruptured lumbar disk:-(((

Lone Wolf
02-03-2009, 13:41
there are tons of cheap motels this time of year in Gburg. the town ain't that big, drive around and check 'em all out. i suggest one down by the river. try Bennets BBQ and Smoky Mtn. Brewery for food and brew

sam4msu
02-03-2009, 13:52
Thanks Wolf...As usual, you are Johnny on the Spot with the advice!!!

Kanati
02-03-2009, 15:53
Have you thought about Townsend, TN on the peaceful side of the mountains? Nice and quiet with several motels. Riverstone Family Restaurant is a good place to eat while there. They have a 4 egg omelet which you can get any time of the day. When my wife and I are in the Smokies, which is several times each year including next weekend, we stay in Townsend. From Pigeon Forge, TN take Wears Valley Rd, (hwy 321 so.) 8 miles. Or from Huntsville exit off I-75 on 321 n. at Lenoir City, TN.

Enjoy your stay. :sun

sam4msu
02-03-2009, 15:58
Thanks Kanati...I will look into Townsend.

berninbush
02-03-2009, 16:09
I second the suggestion for Townsend. Gatlinburg can be fun to visit if you want to do the tourist thing, but I infinitely prefer to stay in a quieter, more natural setting without all the flashing neon and traffic. My family has stayed several times at the Wright Cabins (family operated) just off the main road. Reasonably priced, very comfortable, and private. Townsend is right at the entrance to GSMNP so it's easy to drive up to the Chimneys, Newfound Gap, and Clingman's Dome. Be sure to check out the musical instruments shop with hammer dulcimers, lap dulcimers, guitars, and fiddles.

beas
02-03-2009, 16:14
My parents and sister live there so we visit numerous times each year. Even better at no cost, but that don't help you out.
It really depends on what you are wanting to do. If you want to shop at the outlet stores the Pigeon Forge side might be best. If you want to get into the mountains and see them covered in snow Gatilinburg would be you better bet. Like above mentioned Townsend is definatly nice but it gives you a long drive to anything else other than Cades Cove and that side of the Smokys.
Motels are runnig really cheap rates right now particuarly during the week days. There are lots of nice places in all the above mentioned towns. Tourism is really hurting there so shop your best rate I might not even book a room till I arrived in town???
My fondest memories as a kid vacationing there is pulling up to a hotel and Mom and Dad taking turns going in and getting rates. The only thing I cared was did it have a pool????
BEAS

Dogwood
02-03-2009, 16:27
If U must go into Gburg, get the free local TN area booklet U find at info kiosks and in restaurants(in newspaper stands) that has coupons in it for Gburg, Pigeon Forge, and Saierville(not sure if I spelled that right). I think I picked up one at the Shoneys. In it U will find some great deals on places to stay, visit, and eat. I went to 4 hotels/motels where the lowest quote I got was from Microtel at around $45 during summer of 06. I found a coupon in the back of the book I described for $35 for 2 twin beds in a clean room on the 3rd floor w/ continental bfast included overlooking the creek right behind the Shoneys in GBurg. It is my educated guess, that at this time of the yr., U could find some real bargain deals on rooms and eats.

Rain Man
02-03-2009, 16:58
I'll second the vote for Townsend. Have been there.

If I were headed to Gatlinburg, I think I'd look into some of those "time share" condos. If you'll sit through a sales pitch, you can get your stay for free, plus vouchers for meals and shows. Maybe the local visitors' bureau could direct you?

Rain:sunMan

sly dog
02-03-2009, 17:27
For a little extra you can rent a nice cabin in the mountains. I stayed at "a piece of heaven" on Aunt Bugs cabin rentals(online). Nice views of the mountains from the hot tub. Jacuzzi tubs in 2 bedrooms, not too far from downtown, like 10 min. I like being out of the way so I get some peace and quiet. They have tons of rentals that you can pick from and they could be a couple day rentals or week rentals.

ken209
02-03-2009, 18:14
Check " the highlands condos", right now they have a pay for two nights get two free.

Chaco Taco
02-03-2009, 18:24
Uh stay in your tent??:-?

Yahtzee
02-03-2009, 18:29
I'd probably stay away from the Days Inn in Gatlinburg.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/dirtyhotels

Kanati
02-03-2009, 18:38
[quote=Rain Man;770896]I'll second the vote for Townsend. Have been there.

If I were headed to Gatlinburg, I think I'd look into some of those "time share" condos. If you'll sit through a sales pitch, you can get your stay for free, plus vouchers for meals and shows. Maybe the local visitors' bureau could direct you?

Done it on more than one occasion. My wife used to sucker me into those back in the 90's. She practically got us thrown out of one. When the pitch man detected our obvious lack of interest he came right out and said, "are you just here for the money and gifts"? When we replied yes, he slammed his photo album shut so hard I felt the wind from it. Needless to say we took the check and hit the trail pronto.

sticks&stones
02-03-2009, 19:07
Can't remember where I stayed in town the last time I went thru. I do remember we didn't feel like hitching back up to the ridgeline the next morning, so we killed time by eating, and gluing quarters to the sidewalk and watching the tourist try to pick them up.

berninbush
02-03-2009, 19:21
Wow, Kantani, very unprofessional of your salesman. Anyone in that business should know that most of their "clients" are really just there for the goodies. That's why the goodies are provided in the first place. The point is that a certain percentage of people will get sucked in despite themselves and end up making a purchase. As a salesperson, you can never know who those people will be until you get to the closing. It pays to be professional and friendly and to do your pitch all the way through, even for "bored" customers.

I made myself "homesick" for Townsend with my earlier post, so I just went and booked a cabin for a vacation later this year!

Kanati
02-03-2009, 19:34
Wow, Kantani, very unprofessional of your salesman. Anyone in that business should know that most of their "clients" are really just there for the goodies. That's why the goodies are provided in the first place. The point is that a certain percentage of people will get sucked in despite themselves and end up making a purchase. As a salesperson, you can never know who those people will be until you get to the closing. It pays to be professional and friendly and to do your pitch all the way through, even for "bored" customers.

I made myself "homesick" for Townsend with my earlier post, so I just went and booked a cabin for a vacation later this year!

KUDO'S. You can't go wrong. The Riverstone Fam. Rest. also has great deep fried green tomatoes. On Saturdays they have a Blue Grass Band that plans for free in the back dining room.

Do you ever swim and dive at the Sinks?

brotheral
02-03-2009, 20:22
I've been to Gatlinburg many times... Stayed at several different places from Royal Townhouse to Bearskin Lodge.... In season, we camp at Elkmont in GSMNP.
You can get a room at Royal Townhouse with wood burning fireplace which I did years ago for a decent price this time of year.. It's not modern, but in my opinion, a fair price and friendly staff. They didn't have in room coffee last time I was there, but it's available in the lobby. I didn't care for Bearskin Lodge. Gas fireplace with timer that I could hear click, click, clicking away.
Days Inn at 1109 Parkway was okay both times we stayed there...
Good thing about Gatlinburg is you can drive straight south into the park toward Chimneys and Newfound Gap. It's also a very nice / peaceful drive along the river toward Townsend and Cades Cove.
I always get one of those Travel Booklets at a Rest Area with lodging coupons. If I want to try someplace new, I stop and ask to see a room... They don't mind.
I'm going to be spending my time in the mountains and running around the area. Just need a decent place to sleep, relax, and watch a little TV...for a few nights.
Finally, If you want to go cheaper, try Pigeon Forge or Sevierville... Bottom Line - There's ALOT of good lodging in this area !! VERY reasonable now...
I like the Golden Corral in Pigeon Forge !!
Have Fun !! I'm jealous :sun

SGT Rock
02-03-2009, 21:41
Townsend is great - it is about 8 miles from where I live. That is where we go for Pizza since it is closer for us than going into Maryville. This time of year many shops and restaurants are closed but you should have the place to yourself for the most part.

Tennessee Viking
02-03-2009, 23:12
I have never been into Gatlinburg, only past it on the trail. My wife and I are going for a few days this weekend and I have no idea of where to stay or what to do. I figure the what to do will take care of itself once we are there. As far as where to stay, there are so many cheap places that I don't have a clue as to which to pick. The internet can make a crappy place look like the Taj Mahal. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I might add that hiking is out of the question unfortunately as I am scheduled for surgery at the end of the month to fix a ruptured lumbar disk:-(((
Let me be the first to apologize for the tackiness. Its the Las Vegas for rednecks without the gambling. There are tons of cheap hotels in Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge. But I would recommend renting a cabin if you get a couple days. Its a bit more secluded.

But there are still plenty of easy day hike trails in the park.

Rain Man
02-03-2009, 23:36
When the pitch man detected our obvious lack of interest he came right out and said, "are you just here for the money and gifts"? When we replied yes, he slammed his photo album shut so hard I felt the wind from it. Needless to say we took the check and hit the trail pronto.

Pretty class-less of the guy, since the bargain is "if you'll just listen to our sales pitch, we'll do x, y, and z for you." Sounds like the bargain was bogus to begin with,-- they wanted a bigger commitment than they advertised. That's illegal and is called "bait and switch" in the consumer laws of our Great State of Tennessee.

Still, I've heard plenty of "good" stories about those deals, with classier sales staff, I suppose.

sam4msu
02-04-2009, 01:29

Uh...Ruptured disk+Sleeping on the ground=Not being able to walk the next day!!! I don't even sleep on the ground when my back is healthy...Sillyrabbit...The ground is for walking...Hammocks are for sleeping!!!:banana

sly dog
02-04-2009, 11:34

Uh...Ruptured disk+Sleeping on the ground=Not being able to walk the next day!!! I don't even sleep on the ground when my back is healthy...Sillyrabbit...The ground is for walking...Hammocks are for sleeping!!!:banana

I would have but my tent did not come with the fridge of beer, hot tub, shower and washing machine.

Lilred
02-04-2009, 13:23
I cast my vote for Townsend too. That's the only place we stay since the
Wonderland Hotel burned down. We stay at the Tuckaleechee Cabins and love it there. Haven't been in years though.

I can't stand Gatlinburg. Went there once for a convention and I walked up and down the whole main drag and there wasn't a store that interested me. Nothing but tourist traps imho.

Check out the Apple Barn restaurant in Pigeon Forge. My favorite restaurant. Although, Pigeon Forge sucks too.

Hikes in Rain
02-04-2009, 13:28
I would have but my tent did not come with the fridge of beer, hot tub, shower and washing machine.

Yeah, I got one of those bargin basement tents, too. Darn!

Kanati
02-04-2009, 15:23
I cast my vote for Townsend too. That's the only place we stay since the
Wonderland Hotel burned down. We stay at the Tuckaleechee Cabins and love it there. Haven't been in years though.

I can't stand Gatlinburg. Went there once for a convention and I walked up and down the whole main drag and there wasn't a store that interested me. Nothing but tourist traps imho.

Check out the Apple Barn restaurant in Pigeon Forge. My favorite restaurant. Although, Pigeon Forge sucks too.

The only part of G'burg I like is the Pancake Pantry and the Frier in the village next door. A little story if you'll allow me.

My wife and I were married in April 1970. We honeymooned in the Smokies and hiked to Ramsey Cascades. I don't remember where we stayed but we had breakfast at the Pancake Pantry in G'burg. It had opened the year before. After breakfast we went into the village located next door and got fresh donuts at the Friers. They were delicious. The Friar had just opened also. Each year since then we have gone back to the Pancake Pantry and the Friar to celebrate. We don't always do it on our anniversary but will do it at some point during the year. We are going to be in the Smokies this weekend and will probably go there for breakfast.
Happy hiking. :sun

Lone Wolf
02-04-2009, 15:26
Ogles Buffet was a hit before they tore it down and put up that stupid Hard Rock Cafe. lousy food

Tennessee Viking
02-04-2009, 16:37
Just don't venture to Gatlinburg in the Christmas Holiday shopping season. Traffic from hell. It took my family and I 45 minutes to get from Governors Crossing to Gatlinburg for my cousins wedding. We made it with less than 5 minutes to spare.

In my opinion, tourist towns are trashy. I am just embarrased that on of the worlds greatest beauties, being the Smokies, has to share a neighbor like Gatlinburg.

Oh gosh...now I am ranting.

berninbush
02-04-2009, 16:47
I know what you mean, buliwyf. The times I've been there, sometimes I just look around and go "ugh." Most of what's there has absolutely nothing to do with the beauty of the Smokies. It's like they picked up Vegas from the middle of the desert and dropped it in a mountain valley. IMO Pigeon Forge is even uglier than Gatlinburg. Gatlinburg at least tries to imitate a mountain chalet style, even if it's rather garishly done.

But I've found I can enjoy those towns if I think of them as something apart from the Smoky Mountain experience. When we stay in Townsend, most of the time we are close to nature and enjoy peace and quiet in the sort of place you'd want to actually live. Then we'll go for a few hours or a day into the "tourist trap." You can enjoy it for what it is if you separate it in your mind from the "real" Appalachia.

You just have to be careful not to get sucked into spending too much time or money there!!

brotheral
02-04-2009, 18:14
:confused: Sorry to rain on this dark cloud of negative comments. This guy simply asked for some suggestions on where to stay in GATLINBURG !!!!!!!!
I love to camp, hike and enjoy nature....And do alot of it.. My sweetheart and I also like to take a drive over to Gatlinburg for a few nights once in a while. We get a room and head into the national park for the day. Get an Ice Cream cone in Townsend.. In the evening we walk through Gatlinburg and enjoy the different people.. Maybe some local talent playing mountain music ouside the shops. Dinner at Lineberger's Seafood or Wendy's... Drive up into Pigeon Forge and do a little shopping. Go to the Coleman Outlet Store...
My sister has been in Knoxville for 25 years and loves the outdoors too. She and her husband come for weekend retreats 3-4 times a year... Just to get a room and go enjoy the mountains. Walk through Gatlinburg in the evening...
I've never had a negative experience there. Folks were always friendly and enjoyed brief conversations..with people I've never met...
That's how BrotherAL sees it...............:welcome

Lilred
02-04-2009, 20:27
there are a lot of people that like Gatlinburg, otherwise it wouldn't be so overcrowded with tourists all the time. However, considering that this is a hiking forum, I'm betting not to many on here go for all that mess when the mountains are so close. I used to like Gatlinburg, 25 years ago when you could still find the quaint little shops. Now it's franchise after franchise. Kinda takes the charm of it all away. Of course, Hillbilly Golf is still there.......

sliderule
02-05-2009, 00:56
Townsend is right at the entrance to GSMNP so it's easy to drive up to the Chimneys, Newfound Gap, and Clingman's Dome.

The drive to those particular locations is much easier from Gatlinburg than from Townsend.

brotheral
02-05-2009, 07:44
The drive to those particular locations is much easier from Gatlinburg than from Townsend.
There are several entrances to the park..Townsend is one of them, but it's "abt" 14 miles west of Gatlinburg. A person entering park in Townsend would have to drive back east (14 miles) to Sugarlands Visitor Center at the "Gatlinburg entrance" then head south on 441 to Chimneys, Newfound Gap.....

Sly
02-05-2009, 12:13
Typical answers of a guy that asks about a tent recommendation and is told to get a hammock.

berninbush
02-05-2009, 12:46

But it's such a pretty drive along Little River Road. :) Some of my best memories are driving along the river. Guess it's a matter of personal preference, whether you care more about the journey or the destination.

And Townsend is closer to Cade's Cove, plus some less-traveled roads in the park.

The original poster expressed some interest in Townsend, so I don't think it's off topic to offer some of the alternatives and plusses of my favorite place. If you prefer staying in Gatlinburg itself... more power to you. :) Keeps Townsend nice and quiet.

Kanati
02-05-2009, 15:32
But it's such a pretty drive along Little River Road. :) Some of my best memories are driving along the river. Guess it's a matter of personal preference, whether you care more about the journey or the destination.

And Townsend is closer to Cade's Cove, plus some less-traveled roads in the park.

The original poster expressed some interest in Townsend, so I don't think it's off topic to offer some of the alternatives and plusses of my favorite place. If you prefer staying in Gatlinburg itself... more power to you. :) Keeps Townsend nice and quiet.

L.R. road is close at the present due to ice. Cades Cove road from Townsend is open.

berninbush
02-05-2009, 16:40
I've never been there in winter. I can imagine how treacherous that road would be under ice, though.

I love tubing on the Little River. It's one of those do-it-at-your-own risk things, and I've fallen off once or twice and been dragged along the bottom, but the risk is part of the fun. It's cold even in summer though... can't imagine trying to do it now! (Even if it's not frozen over.)

Dogwood
02-05-2009, 17:07
Typical answers of a guy that asks about a tent recommendation and is told to get a hammock.

ha ha ha!

bigmac_in
02-05-2009, 17:14
Only thing I liked about Gatlinburg was seeing two mice riding on the back of a cat, who was riding on the back of a dog. You don't see that just anywhere. Although there are similar pictures here on WB (from Trail Days, I believe).