PDA

View Full Version : Switching out winter for summer gear

ApeApeMan
02-03-2009, 13:40
When/where do ya'll trade out your cold gear for warmer stuff? Do most people do it?

I was thinking about trading the winter bag for something lighter, downsizing on insulation layers, and maybe going without a stove for a while.

I'm leaving Springer in mid-April, suggestions?

MOWGLI
02-03-2009, 13:45
Pearisburg.

Slo-go'en
02-03-2009, 14:44
Leaving Mid April? Probably as soon as Damascus and definatly by Pearisburg.

MOWGLI
02-03-2009, 14:45
Leaving Mid April? Probably as soon as Damascus and definatly by Pearisburg.

Switch out in Damascus and go too lite, and there is a good chance you will regret it around Mt. Rogers. Happens every year.

Manwich
02-03-2009, 14:48
PearisburgPearisburgPearisburgPearisburg

Pootz
02-03-2009, 15:01
It depends on what you are switching out and what you are replacing it with. not knowing your gear this is no more than a good guess.

You should be ok switching out in Damascus. If you want to be extra careful wait until Pearisburg. When you get to Damascus check the upcoming weather for the next week and then make your decision.

TrippinBTM
02-03-2009, 21:45
Pootz is right on. Leaving mid-April, I'd say Damascus is a definite possibility, unless there's bad weather coming. I wated till Pearisburg, but then again, I started March 27. Even then, I might have gotten away with trading out in Damascus. You just gotta go by conditions on the ground. Of course, if you have stuff waiting in Pearisburg, like a summer bag, you're stuck. But you can always send home that extra jacket and the stove whenever you decide.

Ask yourself these questions:

*Do I hike fast (that is, will I be in Damascus early enough to warrant holding on to cold weather gear a little longer)?
*Do I sleep cold, and need the insulation longer than a hot sleeper?
*Am I ok with a couple of miserable nights if I'm wrong (gotta be prepared for adversity)?

SGT Rock
02-03-2009, 21:49
Well I wouldn't call stuff you need in April Winter gear but....

If you plan to switch from what you have been using to something a little lighter - Pearisburg.

JAK
02-04-2009, 09:34
When/where do ya'll trade out your cold gear for warmer stuff? Do most people do it?

I was thinking about trading the winter bag for something lighter, downsizing on insulation layers, and maybe going without a stove for a while.

I'm leaving Springer in mid-April, suggestions?I use the same stuff all year round. I just bring less in winter. I also use the same clothes day to day as I do when I go hiking.

JAK
02-04-2009, 09:35
Sorry. I missed the point of the thread.

JAK
02-04-2009, 09:42
For a early start thru-hike, I would try and outfit for summer,
then add a few extra layers that I could just mail home or give away.

If starting late and ending late I would just add extra layers as I went.