PDA

View Full Version : This Reputation Stuff

Saluki Dave
05-03-2004, 21:12
Up to now I've been pretty impressed with Whiteblaze. It's a unique group of friendly, knowledgeable people who share a common interest. Sure there are lots of opinions and the odd flame war, but it's usually done in the forums for all to see. Well, until recently.

I made a post on the wooly adelgids topic the other day (something to do with some development at Clemson). A while later I found an anonymous hate-gram in my user profile via this "reputation" thing. I'm not sure what purpose it serves, if any, to allow cheap shots like that.

I'd like to suggest that reptation points be discontinued. If not, at least bring it out into the light of day by requiring a name from the flamer. Roaches scurry for cover when someone flips on the light. I'd appreciate thoughts on the matter.

Dave

Footslogger
05-03-2004, 21:54
Dave,

Guess I should be paying more attention. I probably have tons of that crap associated with my name. Bottom line is that I just don't give a rats ass.

I do agree though that the "giver" of those negative reputation points (or whatever they're called) ought to be identified for everyone to see ...since the reflection is on them and not on the recipient.

There's more good than bad here at Whiteblaze and I just choose to ignore the latter.

'Slogger

SGT Rock
05-03-2004, 22:00
I vote get rid of it.

A-Train
05-03-2004, 22:05
I think that feature was intended for a poster from the past who has since left us.

I don't see why we really need the feature. people's post' do get out of hand sometimes but its fairly obvious to all who read, no need to brand them.

attroll
05-04-2004, 00:19
I turned off the reputation option.

steve hiker
05-04-2004, 02:28
Jumble Jowls #1 :jump

SGT Rock
05-04-2004, 05:53
Thanks Troll. As always, you da man.

Rain Man
05-04-2004, 08:45
Sorry Attroll, but I disagree. I think we should keep the reputation button, but that we should make it plain what it is and how it works. To date, it has just been there. As I understand it, a single complaint has no effect (which takes care of Dave's concern), but an accumulation of the group's complaint does have an effect, as it should. That's my vote.
:rolleyes:
Rain Man

SGT Rock
05-04-2004, 09:05
I look it that a person should make a decision about a person just like they do in life. It might seem like a nice idea if, like the song, people could walk around with a sign that says "I'm Stupid". But in reality, we have to decide how we feel about people based on our own opinion.

My experience with the system was only people that have a complaint tended to use the system. The system also (from what I could tell) rewarded for the number of posts made, not quality. Complaints and numbers of posts are not indicators of who gives good advice. Listen to hikers that post, decide who seems grounded in reality and/or has a similar hiking system and philosphy and make decisions on whom to listen to based on that. Just like in real life.

Hammock Hanger
05-04-2004, 09:33
I don't think I had any reaputation... for a girl I think that is a good thing! :rolleyes:

Saluki Dave
05-04-2004, 10:36
First let me make clear; I care not what anyone thinks of me or my opinions. Second, I invite anyone to have a look at the post which triggered the hate-gram.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=4437&highlight=adelgid

It's the first of my two posts. The second reflects my frustration with the system. It's worth noting that as far as I can tell, I didn't receive any negative "reputation" points, just an anonymous note. Maybe the flamer didn't know how.

I vote elimination. (Thx troll) but if not, how about giving individuals the option of turning it on or off. Not just showing or not showing the results/status, but simply opting out. If not that, then eliminating the hate-mail feature, or requiring an identity before one can be sent. If you have an opinion about me (or anyone else), be man (or woman) enough to be upfront about it.

I don't seem to be the only one to have received this sort of mail. Several highly respected members have also. I have to ask, again; "What purpose does it serve?"

Brushy Sage
05-04-2004, 11:07
I have never even learned how to rate any of the postings. Troll, I support your turning off that feature. Seems to me that the members are certainly vocal enough to say when somebody is out of line. And ultimately the administrators have the authority to pull the plug on anybody who consistently abuses the privilege of participating in the dialog available here. Again, thanks for the concept and for bringing it into reality.

Percival
05-04-2004, 13:26
Complainers always ruin things. The reputation feature can be turned off or on by the user at will, right? So why the shrill calls to disable it? The reputation button is fun, both to see how your own posts stack up and to "vote" on others.

Rather than remove the reputation feature in a knee-jerk response to a complaint, why not fix it? You could remove the anonymous comment feature, while letting the rest of the feature remain intact.

Also, I've noticed that some people with a high volume of posts are "an unknown quality at this point." What does that mean? These people often have a grey rating.

I vote to improve and restore the reputation button. Party poopers go home.

attroll
05-04-2004, 13:55
The reputation system did not gain any users anything special so it was just there for looks at this time. There are things we can do with it. But for what this site is designed for there is no use for it at this time. It was only letting other users give users a reputation. Which in turn only increased with the more users that gave you more reputation and the color bar changed. So it was basically just something pretty. I all this made any sense.

Yes Hammock Hangor you still have a good reputation in my book. LOL.

Jersey Bob
05-04-2004, 13:59
at least 10 characters

Footslogger
05-04-2004, 14:03
The reputation system did not gain any users anything special so it was just there for looks at this time. There are things we can do with it. But for what this site is designed for there is no use for it at this time. It was only letting other users give users a reputation. Which in turn only increased with the more users that gave you more reputation and the color bar changed. So it was basically just something pretty. I all this made any sense.

Besides ...I never thought of a reputation as something that someone else give you. It's something you earn. The way I look at it, each person ought to decide what they want their reputation to be ...and then live up to it.

Nuff said ...

'Slogger

eyahiker
05-12-2004, 08:49
Glad you turned it off, there are enough bells and whistles on this site to begin with! We all have had bad days, myself included. And we all say things we don't mean.

A fool shows his annoyance at once.......but a prudent man overlooks an insult. :D Proverbs 12:16