PDA

View Full Version : Just need to vent...

10-K
02-03-2009, 14:43
I started taking some classes at the community college this semester and it's killing me.

Not the class or study time - what's driving me nuts is not being able to go hiking. I have class Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday. I can't even get out for an overnighter. Last year I hiked a section every month.

This is my favorite time of year to be out. Great views, being able to go a whole day without seeing anyone else, plenty of water.

My next break is March 9th-14th and I'm all set to finish the section between the Footbridge and Daleville. It's only 55 miles but it'll have to do....

The next time I'll be able to go on a 100+ miler is in May and that'll put me right in with the crowds. ;( (not that I mind seeing other people, but I do prefer solitude)

Oh well... :)

Manwich
02-03-2009, 14:46
get your professors interested in backpacking and perform a day of insider hookie

Cabin Fever
02-03-2009, 15:30
Won't do much good this semester, but I blocked all of my classes up on Monday - Thursday in the mornings so I could work or play in the afternoons and weekends.

Manwich
02-03-2009, 15:55
I work three 15-hour days a week. Tuesday Wednesday Thursday.

Wrangler88
02-03-2009, 18:39
I don't have your problem exactly. I have classes on Tuesdays and Thursdays. But what I do have a problem with is that I'm having to be at school, while all I want to be doing is hiking the trail.

June can't come soon enough!

dloome
02-03-2009, 19:02
That's rough. A couple years ago I had split days off at my job, Tuesday-Thursday. It was a little nice not to have to work more than 4 consecutive days, but it killed my hiking time. Of course, I shouldn't complain- I work at a University so get 3 1/2 months off for the Summer and a month off for Christmas. I'm trying to get on a 4 day / 10 hrs. work schedule. With the Grand Canyon an hour away, it sure would be nice.

uprocks
02-03-2009, 19:25
I work three 15-hour days a week. Tuesday Wednesday Thursday.
That is an awsome work schedule. I worked 4 x 10 back in the day, and loved the weekends.

Blissful
02-03-2009, 20:26
You can always opt to hike a different section in May if you want.

TrippinBTM
02-03-2009, 21:33
I started taking some classes at the community college this semester and it's killing me.

Not the class or study time - what's driving me nuts is not being able to go hiking. I have class Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday. I can't even get out for an overnighter. Last year I hiked a section every month.

Why don't you hike Sunday-Monday? Heck, you could leave after class on Saturday and do two nights that way.

And next time plan your classes better.

10-K
02-03-2009, 22:37
I wish... my Saturday class isn't out until 5:30 PM. I'm an easy 5-6 hours from the AT. Figure in all the driving time and it just isn't feasible.

Looking forward to Spring break and the end of the semester....

Why don't you hike Sunday-Monday? Heck, you could leave after class on Saturday and do two nights that way.

And next time plan your classes better.

Frau
02-03-2009, 22:48
Fall of 2007 I spent Tues + Thurs nites from 5-9p in EMT class. It ruined the day hike schedule I had gotten into. I started gaining weight. Now I groom almost evening night after work, and I am like a junkie whose fix has been taken away.

I agree, it IS terrible.

Frau