PDA

View Full Version : Free dinner for past through hikers in Athens, GA

arainvil
02-03-2009, 15:39
Hey there everyone!
Meatbag here (Class '08). Just wanted to let everyone know that I've coordinated an Appalachian themed Themed special event for Food Services at the University of Georgia on February 26th.
Here's the story. I've been working as a manager at one of the dining halls on campus for five years. Three years ago my girlfriend and I got the idea to hike the trail. I was nervous about telling my director that I'd need to quit or take leave for five months for the hike. But when I went to his office to talk to him about it, there, hanging behind his desk was the "End of the Journey" poster. There were pictures on his shelves of him hiking and camping. He was hesitant about letting me off for five months, but he ended up allowing me to take leave because it was something he'd always wanted to do and he didn't want me to pass it up.
Very nice of him. The deal, however, was that I when I came back I would plan an Appalachian Trail special event for the department. Well, I've got everything in order and will hold the event at the end of the month. These specials are a big deal at UGA and this one should be one of the best. We will have Half-Moon Outfitters giving equipement demos, six memebers of the ATC displaying memorabilia and answering questions, GORP (Georgia Outdoors Recreation Program) providing information about group hikes and trips, a campsite set up in the dining hall with a shelter, tents, and a forest, and finally, hundreds of pictures of my trip last year.
The food will all be trail themed (but hopefully a little better). The menu will feature homemade granola bars, Spambalaya, pastas, mashed potatoes, leeks, ramen, blackberry milkshakes, mac n' cheese, and a lot of other tasty stuff.
And, anyone who brings a picture of their Katadin summit can get in free. If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask me. This should be a lot of fun and I hope to see some people there. We'll catch up and reminisce.
Thanks,
Meatbag (Adam Rainville)

Frick Frack
02-03-2009, 15:53
Hey Meatbag! You might not remember us because we were sobo and just briefly met you at the Bromley shelter outside Manchester Center, VT. You and your girlfriend ate at Bromley with us then went to the warming hut/lookout platform on up the mountain. Instead of a Kathadin picture can we bring a Springer pic instead? Sounds fun & we are in the area now.

Silver Potato & Cracker
"The House of Paine"
Franklin & Colleen Paine
MEGA 2008

Doxie
02-03-2009, 16:47
Hi there! I'm Doxie, Meatbag's girlfriend. I remember you! Congratulations on making it, when did you finish? You are, of course, welcome to bring your Springer picture if you're a Southbounder.

Lone Wolf
02-03-2009, 16:50
hmmm. thru-hikers ONLY. what if one doesn't have a katahdin photo?

Doxie
02-03-2009, 17:16
Anyone can go to the dinner who is interested. Meatbag's boss decided to allow thru-hikers to get in for free since Meatbag is a thru-hiker, to encourage fellow alums to attend. Meatbag will be happy to provide pricing information for the dinner for anyone who is interested in attending.

Frick Frack
02-03-2009, 18:13
Hi there! I'm Doxie, Meatbag's girlfriend. I remember you! Congratulations on making it, when did you finish? You are, of course, welcome to bring your Springer picture if you're a Southbounder.

We finished on Nov. 15th. It was so intresting to meet all the nobo's like you guys then be able to read your entries the rest of the trip. Even though we may have only briefly met I enjoyed reading everyone's shelter entries. Glad you and Meatbag finished too! When did you summit the big K? Must have been awesome....BTW do you remember the nobo's name who stayed with us that night and did not go to the top like you guys?? He updated our Appalachian Pages & it helped tremdously for the rest of the trip.

Doxie
02-04-2009, 20:11
That was Bondi that stayed with you guys, we hiked with him until Moosilauke. Great guy.
We finished Sept 2nd and had beautiful weather in Maine.
We hope to see you at the dinner!

rockdawg69
02-04-2009, 21:08
Slot Machine did a SOBO thru (UGA grad student). Met him in NY in Sept. Finished just before Thanksgiving, in time for GA Tech game. Bad timing on that I guess. Sent him a message thru Trailjournals.com

UGASlotMachine
02-05-2009, 17:54
Thanks to Rockdawg for the heads up...What a great idea for a themed dinner...I haven't been to the dining halls since I was a sophomore when Village Summit opened...I'll definitely be there for dinner...Medicine Man is also living in Athens right now...I'll be sure to let him know too...looking forward to seeing everyone!!!

Doxie
02-06-2009, 13:51
That's awesome! We look forward to seeing you!

Bidwell
02-06-2009, 20:01
lol - just reading this I can't but not say... Go Jackets! (GT '06)

but seriously, sounds like a nice function y'all are setting up. Feb 25th btw, a band is playing in Athens called Railroad Earth. If you like folk/bluegrass, check them out.

docllamacoy
02-07-2009, 16:39
Sounds fun. Wish I could be there. Athens is where I grew up and went to college. But, I'm in California now.

Tha Wookie
02-08-2009, 11:01
I would be there but I'm stuck in the Virgin Islands at www.visfi.org.

If you have another in mid to late april, let me know and I'll be there.

Nate

Sly
02-08-2009, 13:00
I hiked with the guy in the End of the Journey poster from PA to NH. Backpacking Fool. Good times.

Sly
02-08-2009, 13:03
hmmm. what if one doesn't have a katahdin photo?

Photoshop.