PDA

View Full Version : Starting Points

ibigler5
02-03-2009, 17:36
Hey guys. So I plan to start sometime towards the end of May, and as of right now, I have only a month to hike. So I wanted to go NOBO. So what do you think the best place to start would be? I live in Northern New Jersey

Lone Wolf
02-03-2009, 17:49
shenandoah national park

Kanati
02-03-2009, 19:22
Start at Springer just as if you were starting a thru-hike. Go as far as you can go then figure out how you are going to get home. You will have done the nicest 400 miles of the trail. Of course, this is just an opinion.

Blissful
02-03-2009, 20:33
Depends on many factors - if you mind being hot, in packs of thru hikers (which will be most of Va that time of year), whether you want easier or tougher terrain.
If you do go farther south, you'll risk hotter and humid weather.
I might start at Harpers Ferry and go north. You'll end up at your back door in a month. :)

Slo-go'en
02-03-2009, 22:28
Or start at the Delaware Water gap and head towards Mass. Staying close to home would cut down on transportation costs.

Tilly
02-08-2009, 22:54
Or start at the Delaware Water gap and head towards Mass. Staying close to home would cut down on transportation costs.

Definetely, NJ has a nice section of the AT (but then I am a native Jersey girl so I'm biased.) It's not too hard, it would be a good place to start, and then you can easily get public transp. from whever you end up in a month...maybe Vermont? Bennington and Rutland can get you where you need to go.