PDA

View Full Version : what's everybody packing for food

doda man
02-03-2009, 19:17
:<P>I'm tired&nbsp; of the same old dehydrated dinner meals, any suggestions. thanks</P>

russb
02-03-2009, 19:27
http://www.bplite.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1078

Blissful
02-03-2009, 20:42
https://www.atctrailstore.org/catalog/iteminfo.cfm?itemid=326&compid=1

YoungMoose
02-03-2009, 20:47
All of the stuff i eat isnt dehydrated. i think that stuff is terrible. i eat pepperoni with tomato paste and pasta. you mix the paste and pepperoni. then you put the mixture into the pasta. another good meal is pasta in thai sauce. Thats is by far the best.

fredmugs
02-05-2009, 13:55
I typically eat the following each day:

1. Trail mix. WalMart sells a cajun kind and a sweeter kind.
2. MetRx meal replacement bar. Eating one of those with a lot of water sits in my gut for like 4 hours before I even think about being hungry again.
3. Granola bars. Good snack and they are very light.
4. A dehydrated meal. I mostly do this because I never like to stop for long periods of time and this is a good way to force me to stop, heat the water, wait for it to cook, cool down, and eat.
5. Something sweet like a snickers bar.

I typically do 150 mile section hikes and obviously I would never eat the same think every day for a thru hike but I can for a week.

My bland taste buds come in handy when hiking.

kytrailman
02-05-2009, 15:22
Get some of those Idahoan just add water potatoes. Throw in some cheese from a mac and cheese packet and some tyson cooked bacon=THUNDER!!! PButter, Nutella, Oreos, Jerky, Soup, Ramenw/extras. Thereare all types of food out there. I usually just eat a little of everything I have.

Jeff
02-05-2009, 16:34
Pack out a couple of 12" Subway sandwiches for lunch every time you leave town.

YoungMoose
02-05-2009, 16:41
another thing i am taking on the next backpacking trip im going on is a new thing. its bisquick panckackes. all you have to ad is water to make 6 pancakes. they sell it at walmart for like 1$. It sounds good to me

l0ngterm
02-05-2009, 21:13
The last year or so, I've been experimenting with no cook hiking. Saves weight for stove and fuel and the foods aren't any worse than dehydrated or dry, just add water starches. This Spring on my 100+ mile section hike I will eat the following:

Brkfst:
Raw oatmeal with raisins, dried milk and walnuts. Lots of calories, long burning carbohydrates and good fats. Add water and let sit for 10 minutes.

Lunch:
Whole wheat bagels and SmartBlend peanut butter. Lots of calories, long burning carbs and good fats. 1-2 per day as hunger dictates.

Dinner:
Either tuna or chicken foil pouches either plain or flavored. 2 Servings of the new flavored Triscuits and some Gold fish crackers. Yummy. I've had this for dinner for the last 2 years.

Snacks: several a day
Assorted granola, energy, meal replacement bars. I try to make sure they are a bit more natural and not all sugar. Clif bars are some of my favorites.

All of this gives me about 2400-2800 calories a day for just less than 2 pounds of food per day. With my non food/water pack weight down around 13 lbs. This lets me carry a week's worth of food and stay around 25 pounds max weight on day 1. Food weight is great because each day your pack gets lighter and the first day or so you have the energy to carry it.

I give attribution to Pickle for the raw oatmeal suggestion. Read his and Garlic's hiking journal this past year and this was his breakfast. Tried it at home and now have it almost every morning. Much better than even the healthy boxed cereals and its the only meal that even requires me to have water at camp for.

This is my 3rd year trying cookless and I do believe the quality of diet and weight savings is worth it.

l0ngterm

Deadeye
02-06-2009, 23:48
Brkfst:
Raw oatmeal with raisins, dried milk and walnuts.

AKA meusli. Good stuff, you can buy it in bulk in most health food stores, or mix your own. Use quick oats for something a little easier to chew. Can substitute dried cherries for the raisins (or just add to whatever is in there), and add or substitute other nuts, too (almonds are great). Cheap, light, great backpacking food.

Desert Reprobate
02-07-2009, 00:12
Costco has good trail mix and jerky

flemdawg1
02-10-2009, 12:53
another thing i am taking on the next backpacking trip im going on is a new thing. its bisquick panckackes. all you have to ad is water to make 6 pancakes. they sell it at walmart for like 1$. It sounds good to me

Try it on your hiking stove and cookset at home first. Sticking to the pan, uneven heating and burning might be a problem.

Slo-go'en
02-10-2009, 13:48
Try it on your hiking stove and cookset at home first. Sticking to the pan, uneven heating and burning might be a problem.

Yeah, you need a canister or white gas stove and a no-stick pan for pancakes. I tired an alcohol stove and it just wouldn't get hot enough, fast enough to work well. Grape jelly makes a good topping if you don't want to carry real maple syrup.

KG4FAM
02-10-2009, 14:00
Yeah, you need a canister or white gas stove and a no-stick pan for pancakes. I tired an alcohol stove and it just wouldn't get hot enough, fast enough to work well. Grape jelly makes a good topping if you don't want to carry real maple syrup.I was able to successfully make some very good pancakes on alcohol once. It took so long that I will never do it again though.

sarbar
02-10-2009, 14:04
If you use a canister stove - and are using a lightweight non stick pan, I recommend keeping the pan an inch above the flame so you get even cooking. PITA but it works well.

Also you can get maple syrup that is powdered. Packitgourmet carries it in small bags. You mix it with water - it needs to sit for at least 15 minutes, preferably 30 minutes and it becomes maple syrup :-)

brooklynkayak
02-10-2009, 14:07

They taste better and are more nutritious if you add eggs, powdered or fresh.
I add nuts and sometimes peanut butter.

Pancakes also work great as sandwich bread so make extras and have sandwiches for lunch.

brooklynkayak
02-10-2009, 14:12
I was able to successfully make some very good pancakes on alcohol once. It took so long that I will never do it again though.

You should really only cook pancakes on a wood stove or fire.
Stick to porridge and cooking bag cooking with alcohol or gas stoves.

It is rare that I use my alcohol stove in the wild as I always seem to find fuel for the wood stove so I can always make things like pancakes, bannock and slow cook foods.

Slo-go'en
02-10-2009, 14:17
I was able to successfully make some very good pancakes on alcohol once. It took so long that I will never do it again though.

Yep, that was my experiance too. Took forever to make a little stack of cakes. It was kind of a cool, windy morning though, that could have been a factor. It seemed to work better at home when I first tried it out.

Dried maple syrup, thats interesting. I've always wanted to try using the maple candies. I have a friend who makes syrup, maybe I can get him to make some really thick stuff at the end of the run this spring. I really do like pancakes.

RememberYourZen
02-13-2009, 00:04
I typically eat the following each day:

1. Trail mix. WalMart sells a cajun kind and a sweeter kind.
2. MetRx meal replacement bar. Eating one of those with a lot of water sits in my gut for like 4 hours before I even think about being hungry again.
3. Granola bars. Good snack and they are very light.
4. A dehydrated meal. I mostly do this because I never like to stop for long periods of time and this is a good way to force me to stop, heat the water, wait for it to cook, cool down, and eat.
5. Something sweet like a snickers bar.

I typically do 150 mile section hikes and obviously I would never eat the same think every day for a thru hike but I can for a week.

My bland taste buds come in handy when hiking.

Is that so? :-?

I've got a crazy metabolism so I'm eating alot on the trail. I'll have to try this out. Thanks!

Dancer
02-17-2009, 19:57
Walmart sells a trail mix called Trail Indulgence....it has white chocolate, chocolate and butterscotch chips, yellow raisans, dried cherries, cashews, peanuts and almonds. It is to die for!!

fredmugs
02-20-2009, 11:29
Trial Indulgence! That's the sweeter kind I was referring to. I take a little baggie of that and a little baggie of the Cajun kind for each day.

I think cayenne pepper works as an appetite suppressant as well (that and cinammon). I tend to not get as hungry when I eat the Cajun mix as I do when I eat the Indulgence.

hootyhoo
02-20-2009, 16:36
Try the hungry jack complete buttermilk. just add water. Cheaper - and if you put too much water you can correct, whereas with the type in plastic bottle you cannot. Can be stored in freezer bag, add water, knead, allow to sit 5 minutes. Add fresh blueberries if you want or smother in honey/ or both. One ounce of mix yields one medium pancake. No plastic bottle to haul in/out. Guaranteed to put hair on you chest.

theinfamousj
02-20-2009, 18:59
Walmart sells a trail mix called Trail Indulgence....it has white chocolate, chocolate and butterscotch chips, yellow raisans, dried cherries, cashews, peanuts and almonds. It is to die for!!

Thank you! This is my most favorite of all GORPs. Everyone I've mentioned it to or shared some with has thought I was nuts for preferring this blend. At least there are two of us crazies out there. :p

Pickleodeon
02-25-2009, 13:24
that Trail Indulgence sounds delicious.
I'm going to have my mom make some of the Chex Muddy Buddy Mix http://www.chex.com/Recipes/RecipeView.aspx?RecipeId=19919&CategoryId=342
the chocolate, powered sugar kind, and have her send me small bags of it. mmmmm.

boarstone
02-25-2009, 13:46
Take some bisquick mix, make bread on a stick....just don't burn the stick!

q-tip
02-25-2009, 19:24
Starting my thru hike March 2nd. My food for the first two weeks willl be different than later on the hike. Early on-keep it simple.

Bkfst: PB-Bagel-Pop Tart
Lunch: PB-Bagel-Clif Bar
Dinner: Freez Dried Dinner

After the first two weeks I will get a sense of what others are cooking on the trail and buy and cook accordingly. I will be using a jetboil for boiling and one of their cookpots. Much to learn here.

volleypc
02-25-2009, 19:46
Someone else posted on another thread about using honey buns for breakfast. I loved the idea because it is 400 calories, lightweight, and doesnt matter if it gets crushed. I plan to make it one of my normal breakfast meals.

daddytwosticks
02-25-2009, 20:24
Don't forget about muffins for breakfast...lots of calories and filling. I also like fried pies for breakfast too! For dinner, its gotta be tortillini! :)