PDA

View Full Version : Maps

Mags
02-03-2009, 22:32
So, I am leaning towards about an ~2 wk jaunt on the BMT prior to the Rockies Ruck.

The game plan:

Drive out Wednesday Feb 11th. Park my truck somewhere by Friday the 13th (hmmm????). Get a shuttle to Davenport Gap for Valentines Day (ahh..romantic!). Finish on Springer ~two weeks later (and walk down to Amicalola Falls). Get back to said truck. Drive back and have 2-3 days before the Ruck.

I do not think I really need the guidebook. And it looks like the databook is out of stock. No worries, there looks to be a more than adequate town guide online (http://www.bmta.org/ResupplyDetails.htm), and I can read a map....or at least fumble around enough where I can fake it. :)

I do have a question concerning maps.

If I am reading the website correctly (http://www.bmta.org/HikerResources.htm#SuggestedMaps), all I need are the following maps:

Smokes TI Map

Trails Illustrated Topo Map #781 - Tellico and Ocoee Rivers (http://www.ngmapstore.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=330&itemType=PRODUCT) covers from Scroggin Knob (mile 44, near Rich Mt. Wilderness in Georgia) all the way to the Smokies (mile 190). New edition (released June 2006) shows BMT in continuous yellow highlight across both map panels. $9.95

The Guidebook with the southern portion maps for the last 44 miles.

Is that correct?

SGT Rock
02-03-2009, 22:38
So, I am leaning towards about an ~2 wk jaunt on the BMT prior to the Rockies Ruck.

The game plan:

Drive out Wednesday Feb 11th. Park my truck somewhere by Friday the 13th (hmmm????). Get a shuttle to Davenport Gap for Valentines Day (ahh..romantic!). Finish on Springer ~two weeks later (and walk down to Amicalola Falls). Get back to said truck. Drive back and have 2-3 days before the Ruck.

I do not think I really need the guidebook. And it looks like the databook is out of stock. No worries, there looks to be a more than adequate town guide online (http://www.bmta.org/ResupplyDetails.htm), and I can read a map....or at least fumble around enough where I can fake it. :)I'll send you a pdf of my thru-hiker guide if you want it

I do have a question concerning maps.

If I am reading the website correctly (http://www.bmta.org/HikerResources.htm#SuggestedMaps), all I need are the following maps:

Smokes TI Map

Trails Illustrated Topo Map #781 - Tellico and Ocoee Rivers (http://www.ngmapstore.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=330&itemType=PRODUCT) covers from Scroggin Knob (mile 44, near Rich Mt. Wilderness in Georgia) all the way to the Smokies (mile 190). New edition (released June 2006) shows BMT in continuous yellow highlight across both map panels. $9.95

Yep - that is right

The Guidebook with the southern portion maps for the last 44 miles.

Is that correct?
I also have a set of maps I strung together you can print on waterproof paper if you can find a laser printer. I can send you that too if you like.

Egads
02-03-2009, 22:39
Check out the BMTA website & your PM

http://www.bmta.org/HikerResources.htm

Caveman of Ohio
02-03-2009, 22:53
I may be right there with you on the trail Mags. The owner of my company is flying in from to look over our situation at work. There are rumors of letting people go and I am the low man on the totem pole. I just order the Tellico and Smokey Mountains map this afternoon and sent a email to North Georgia Mountain Outfitters asking about the data book. They are in the process of updating the data books and they will be the first retailer to have them. They currently have a waiting list going for the book.

SGT Rock
02-03-2009, 22:55
I may be right there with you on the trail Mags. The owner of my company is flying in from to look over our situation at work. There are rumors of letting people go and I am the low man on the totem pole. I just order the Tellico and Smokey Mountains map this afternoon and sent a email to North Georgia Mountain Outfitters asking about the data book. They are in the process of updating the data books and they will be the first retailer to have them. They currently have a waiting list going for the book.

FWIW if you have my databook, you have every mile point they list plus some they don't. The only real changes are the distances on a couple of re-locations which are fairly minor in the scheme of things.

So basically what I am saying is don't kill yourself trying to get the databook.

Caveman of Ohio
02-03-2009, 23:06
I am currently printing out your Databook and I am not going to kill myself trying to get it. Thanks once again for all your work.

SGT Rock
02-03-2009, 23:08
Pay special attention to the listing at mile 48.0 - not in the data book. That lady is itching to get a hiker.

Mags
02-03-2009, 23:14
Another mid-30s guy laid off..and is going hiking. Must be a trend! :D

Thanks for all the help everyone.

I am contacting Standing Farm Hostel tomorrow to see about parking my truck/getting a shuttle to Davenport Gap (or an alt start per a suggestion of Sgt. Rock)

According to google maps, it is about a 21 hr/1400 miles. (Gas at less than $2 a gallon..cheaper to drive!). Call it 2 days of driving.

Assuming my truck checks out, it is a go!

Sly
02-03-2009, 23:17
Need a ride back to CO before the Ruck? I'm going that way.

Ooops see you're driving out.

SGT Rock
02-03-2009, 23:18
If you are going SOBO, I recommend staying at Mt Sterling over that crappy shelter at Laurel Gap. The whole shelter was a mud hole when I camped there.

You have to make reservations at all your campsites in the GSMNP - no special thru-hiker privileges.

Caveman of Ohio
02-03-2009, 23:20
BMT takes a sharp right in front of a house with numerous "No
Tresspasssing" signs. Be careful not to miss the trail as the lady that lives there has
a big dog and is serious about tresspassing.

SGT Rock
02-03-2009, 23:22
That is the one. She will set that dog on you in an instance if you even look like you might go near her yard. I got the dog treatment. Apparently I am not the only one either. You would think an important safety tip like that should be in the databook.

Mags
02-03-2009, 23:28
You have to make reservations at all your campsites in the GSMNP - no special thru-hiker privileges.

Another good reason to start at the ranger station. :)

SLY: Thanks for the offer. If you see a blue Sonoma with Colorado plates (and a bunch of hiking stickers), be sure to stop. :)

SGT Rock
02-03-2009, 23:30
Another cool campsite to stay at if you can is Enloe Creek. Campsite 47, MP 263.5

Tennessee Viking
02-04-2009, 00:07
That is the one. She will set that dog on you in an instance if you even look like you might go near her yard. I got the dog treatment. Apparently I am not the only one either. You would think an important safety tip like that should be in the databook.Rock, where is this supposed house of hell.

Sly
02-04-2009, 01:07
That is the one. She will set that dog on you in an instance if you even look like you might go near her yard. I got the dog treatment. Apparently I am not the only one either. You would think an important safety tip like that should be in the databook.

You should add, at mile 47.5 pick up a big rock and a bigger stick. :D

Mags
02-04-2009, 15:06
Maps ordered. About to print out the material Egads and Sgt. Rock sent (thanks!) and waiting to hear back from Standing Farm. Joining the BMTA will be in order, too. (I need anothah wicked cool bumpah stickah! ;)

The only fly in the ointment? I brought my truck by my mechanic today. No sooner than I made my plans, I started hearing a rattling when idling or shifting into 1st. Long story short, turns out I need a new catalytic converter. Doh! Better here in Colorado than on the Interstate. :)

So hear I sit...on a computer in a coffee shop waiting for my truck to get done. All I need to do is write a bad novel and I will fit the unemployed-Boulder area slacker stereotype.

Anyway, assuming nothing else happens, all is a go. I hope to start on Feb 12th.

If you see a short, stocky, Eye-talian looking guy mumbling something about "I COULD BE SKIING RIGHT NOW" in the southern Appalachians, that would be me. ;)

I'll probably take a slightly heavier shell than my Wisp and maybe my Thermawrap.

It has been two years since I took a backpacking trip longer than 60 miles, so I am quite excited. The BMT won't be anything like the CO Rockies..and I am actually excited about that. Something different..and a long hike!

And tomorrow? I am indeed going skiing!

SGT Rock
02-04-2009, 20:14
Rock, where is this supposed house of hell.
Mile point 48 in Georgia if you are hiking north. Mile point 239.5 if you are going south.

Hiking sticks between me and Fido were the trick. Saw that on the Dog Wisperer later - but he used a tennis racket.

Hikerhead
02-04-2009, 20:21
Maps ordered. About to print out the material Egads and Sgt. Rock sent (thanks!) and waiting to hear back from Standing Farm. Joining the BMTA will be in order, too. (I need anothah wicked cool bumpah stickah! ;)

The only fly in the ointment? I brought my truck by my mechanic today. No sooner than I made my plans, I started hearing a rattling when idling or shifting into 1st. Long story short, turns out I need a new catalytic converter. Doh! Better here in Colorado than on the Interstate. :)

So hear I sit...on a computer in a coffee shop waiting for my truck to get done. All I need to do is write a bad novel and I will fit the unemployed-Boulder area slacker stereotype.

Anyway, assuming nothing else happens, all is a go. I hope to start on Feb 12th.

If you see a short, stocky, Eye-talian looking guy mumbling something about "I COULD BE SKIING RIGHT NOW" in the southern Appalachians, that would be me. ;)

I'll probably take a slightly heavier shell than my Wisp and maybe my Thermawrap.

It has been two years since I took a backpacking trip longer than 60 miles, so I am quite excited. The BMT won't be anything like the CO Rockies..and I am actually excited about that. Something different..and a long hike!

And tomorrow? I am indeed going skiing!

This is a good trail that you'll enjoy. Have a great hike.

The Solemates
02-05-2009, 11:14
why in the world would you drive for 2 straight days when you could fly for the same price?

regardless, sounds like fun and I'm sure you'll have a great time!

im jealous..

Sly
02-05-2009, 11:44
why in the world would you drive for 2 straight days when you could fly for the same price?

It's kind of a wash. Depending on miles per gallon it's still cheaper to drive. Plus he'll need only one shuttle instead of two, won't be constricted to get back on a certain day etc. A car malfunction is better than a plane malfunction.

I'll be driving out visiting friends along the way.

Mags
02-05-2009, 11:51
I am driving because I am doing this at the last minute. :)

Gas is less than $2 a gallon currently.

So 2800 miles R/T divided by 25 MPG (roughly for my 4 cylinder truck) *2 is a little over $200 R/T.

Denver is expensive to fly out of as well...again, esp at the last minute. Plus, I am visiting some friends along the way.

I have more time than money currently. :)

Should be fun either way.

Now I am off to do a 14 mile hike with another unemployed slacker friend. :)

CBSSTony
02-05-2009, 12:21
It seems like you are going south on the trail. After crossing the 4 lane (515) you will start down a dirt/gravel road. The house with the dog is the first one you will come to and should see it from a good distance. Careful, quiet steps and a watchful eye and you may sneak past it. By the way the roads are around there is should be possible to go around it but I'm not quite sure how.