PDA

View Full Version : Laurel Fork Lodge - bad experience

zero day
02-04-2009, 00:47
Dennis Cove Road/USFS50
The 2008 Companion really built this place up...camp store, frozen pizza and burgers, ice cream and sodas, free internet, coffee at 8 am, etc.
However, my experience there was terrible. Arrived shortly after dark, and the place was dark. Office closed, no sign anywhere of the much anticipated frozen burgers, pizza, ice cream, which proved to be non-existent. The internet was down and was never brought back up in the 24 hours I was there. There is a decent hiker kitchen and a clean bunkhouse. That's it. The showers were NASTY and I had to wait on a night manager to arrive to locate towel and washcloth. There was no soap. This place is not owner managed and I think that makes a difference. I was told by the day manager that the main source of revenue for them is rental from cabins on the grounds as well as a conference center. I bailed out after the first night and got a ride into Hampton to stay at the Braemar Castle (interesting place) for a zero day. Don't know, in retrospect, why I didn't stay at Kincora, down the road in the opposite direction from the trail.

Sly
02-04-2009, 00:49
Did you just stay? It's not really hiker season. I'm surprised they were even open.

Tennessee Viking
02-04-2009, 03:44
Sorry to hear about the experience. For them, their hostel really doesn't start up until March-April. Last couple years, it has been known that they put more attention in their cabin business than their hiking hostel. I stopped by there once to look around, everything was locked up as well. But I found their very anal laundry list of charges for their hostel services. Everything from every linen and washcloth used to shower usage. Its a strictly for profit hostel. Kincora and Braemar are more of the more friendlier spots.

Bob Peoples is a friend to everyone and is a hoot.

Sly
02-04-2009, 11:34
Places like the Kincora and Braemor are few and far between. The AT is lucky to have them but, you shouldn't treat for profit establishments like the plague, because eventually you're going to need them and people need to make a living.

There's two trains of thought, a set fee for everything, and price list. As long as you know up front what you're getting into, it shouldn't matter.

Slo-go'en
02-04-2009, 11:55
The close proximity to Kincora sort of kills thier hostel buisness. However, if you happen to hit Kincora when thier real busy, like I did a couple of years ago doing a SOBO through that area, it is a good alternative. When I walked up to Kincora, there were about 20 hikers on the porch who laughed at me and said "this place is overflowing, don't even think about staying here!" So, I went down the road to Laural Fork and had the whole bunk house to myself. The frozen food they had there was a God send, as I was down to crumbs in the food bag. I was able to get into Kincora the next day, after the big crowd left.

Rain Man
02-04-2009, 12:04
There's two trains of thought, a set fee for everything, and price list. As long as you know up front what you're getting into, it shouldn't matter.

I agree with the "up front" part very much. I know of a hiker who met the Braemer owner on the trail, who suggested they all come stay, which they did, and only then afterwards when they were leaving did he announce there was a charge. NOT good. The invitation itself is where the money should have been mentioned.

So, there are good and bad experiences with most every hostel or place to stay. What you have to watch for is the over-all reputation. One or two bad reports don't scare me off, especially out-of-season.

Rain:sunMan

Lone Wolf
02-04-2009, 12:12
The close proximity to Kincora sort of kills thier hostel buisness. However, if you happen to hit Kincora when thier real busy, like I did a couple of years ago doing a SOBO through that area, it is a good alternative. When I walked up to Kincora, there were about 20 hikers on the porch who laughed at me and said "this place is overflowing, don't even think about staying here!" So, I went down the road to Laural Fork and had the whole bunk house to myself. The frozen food they had there was a God send, as I was down to crumbs in the food bag. I was able to get into Kincora the next day, after the big crowd left.

next time continue on to hampton and stay at the castle

Kanati
02-04-2009, 23:41
Last April I opted for Laurel in lieu of Kinkora. There was no one there when I arrived about lunch time. I walked around for awhile and called home as they had a pay phone and I had no cell phone service. Finally the owners, I guess, showed up. They had been to town for groceries. I bought a pizza and some other things and ate on the deck over the creek. It was nice. I was the only one there except for them. Their kids came over and hung around. I enjoyed the silence.

garlic08
02-05-2009, 00:43
I didn't sleep there, but had a decent enough shower, laundry, warmed-up frozen meal, internet access, and resupply for a couple of days. It was an easy walk, nice people, nice surroundings, a relaxing couple of hours in the middle of hiking season. Prices seemed normal.

Rockhound
02-05-2009, 12:17
Laurel is good if Kincora is overflowing or if a group wanted to split a cabin for a little more luxury. Of course no place can compare with Bobs. You hit Laurel off season so it may have seemed a bit like a ghost town, but as far as hostels go Laurel provides everything a hiker needs, (except an outfitter) at a fair price with beautiful surroundings. Their proximity to Kincora puts them at a disadvantage as for as the hostel business is concerned

Lone Wolf
02-05-2009, 12:39
Laurel is good if Kincora is overflowing or if a group wanted to split a cabin for a little more luxury. Of course no place can compare with Bobs. You hit Laurel off season so it may have seemed a bit like a ghost town, but as far as hostels go Laurel provides everything a hiker needs, (except an outfitter) at a fair price with beautiful surroundings. Their proximity to Kincora puts them at a disadvantage as for as the hostel business is concerned
other than bob being a great guy i don't see what's so great about kincora

earlyriser26
02-05-2009, 12:53
Stayed at Laurel last spring with 3 others. Took the "Old AT" past Coon Den Falls (real nice falls BTW) and walked past Laurel and decided to stay. We were the only ones there and the guy running it seemed OK. Ordered pizza from the pay phone and hung out. We got there before the Thru hiker crowd and with Kincora down the road were not surprised to find it not busy. No complaints. Maybe lion king should stay at Uncle J's instead.

Rockhound
02-05-2009, 12:55
That's just it. Bob is a great guy. He has done more for the trail and hikers than anybody else I can think of and if you have never met the man I would have to say Kincora is a must stay for if for nothing more than an opportunity to meet him.

Sly
02-05-2009, 12:57

Has everything a hiker needs in a pretty setting. It's better when it's not full for sure.

Lilred
02-05-2009, 12:59
what does lion king have to do with this???

A-Train
02-05-2009, 12:59

4$, slacking opportunities, rides to town, etc.

Lone Wolf
02-05-2009, 13:01
Has everything a hiker needs in a pretty setting. It's better when it's not full for sure.

no beer. no store. no restaurant. no private rooms

Sly
02-05-2009, 13:04

Well, there are private rooms. The others aren't needed and you can always get a ride into town.

What I consider needed are a bed, kitchen facilities, laundry and a shower.

Slo-go'en
02-05-2009, 13:08
The ride to town down that insane road is the best part of staying at Kincora! And if you get there on the right day, you can take a day off and do some trail work, then get a neat patch for you pack.

Lone Wolf
02-05-2009, 13:09
Well, there are private rooms.

for couples

kanga
02-05-2009, 13:22

Well, there are private rooms. The others aren't needed and you can always get a ride into town.

What I consider needed are a bed, kitchen facilities, laundry and a shower.

are you not feeling well, sly?

Lone Wolf
02-05-2009, 13:28

i guess i'm different than the vast majority. if i'm gonna take a day off while LD backpacking, i want a private room, no sharing, or a secluded tent site within walking distance to grocery, beer, restaurants, etc. the last thing i wanna do on my day off is be around other hikers constantly and have to rely on shuttles and such

kanga
02-05-2009, 13:29
exactly. but we're not really "socializers" and a good chunk of hikers are. for some reason they need the companionship.

MOWGLI
02-05-2009, 13:37
i guess i'm different than the vast majority. if i'm gonna take a day off while LD backpacking, i want a private room, no sharing, or a secluded tent site within walking distance to grocery, beer, restaurants, etc. the last thing i wanna do on my day off is be around other hikers constantly and have to rely on shuttles and such

I love Miss Janet. But for similar reasons, her house wasn't for me. Yet it was championed by many hikers as the best on the trail. That's cool. Variety is the spice of life.

I stayed at Laurel Creek Lodge in 2000 and loved it. I knew folks who stayed with Bob, and loved his place. They are very different places. The beauty is, there are enough hikers for more than one hostel. At least for maybe 6-8 weeks a year. Braemer Castle seems to be the loser in the deal - because they are in town. I'd stay there in a heartbeat.

Sly
02-05-2009, 13:45

I'm OK. We're speaking of hostels here. That's generally a spartan, group environment and generally do not allow alcohol.

That said, for the most part, my hostel days are over, and I prefer a motel where I can watch golf and do as I please. ;)

CrumbSnatcher
02-05-2009, 13:58
(i might share a motel with another but i won't overload it,just to save a few bucks)i'd take a motel over a hostel 99% of the time. don't like crowded places. just like i love damascus 51 weeks of the year!

YoungMoose
02-05-2009, 14:26
Go during the thru hiker season.

earlyriser26
02-05-2009, 14:45
what does lion king have to do with this???
Just having fun thinking of another discussion. It just seems some people have nothing but bad experiences. Maybe I'm a glass is half full guy, but whenever I find a service on the trail I'm glad. Normally, I'm cold, wet, tired, hungry and anything looks good to me. Sure, I could point out short comings at Laurel, but I'm not expecting the Hilton. I got a roof and pizza. That is a day in paradise to me.:sun

MOWGLI
02-05-2009, 14:48
Just having fun thinking of another discussion. It just seems some people have nothing but bad experiences. Maybe I'm a glass is half full guy, but whenever I find a service on the trail I'm glad. Normally, I'm cold, wet, tired, hungry and anything looks good to me. Sure, I could point out short comings at Laurel, but I'm not expecting the Hilton. I got a roof and pizza. That is a day in paradise to me.:sun

Well said! Everything is relative.

CrumbSnatcher
02-05-2009, 14:57
stayed at laurel in 99' was treated great, had a good time! ever since then i stayed at kincora. because of bob and pat. Its probably the only place i ever walked into a crowded place and still stayed. so i could visit with bob and pat. even if i don't stay i will always stop long enough to say hi to bob. he's the real deal. the rest of us are just walking.

Many Walks
02-05-2009, 15:01
We stopped by Kincora, took in the history, took a shower, cleaned the showers afterward and left a donation. Then went up to Laurel Fork Hostel and decided to stay. It was a nice clean place with light occupancy and basic supplies. The deck over the creek is wonderful and a ride to town provided a good place to eat. It was a good stay for us.

gravityman
02-05-2009, 15:14
I remember in 2001 when there were some 'repeat offenders' that stayed at Laural Forks and hadn't stopped by to say Hi to Bob. He was pretty hurt by that. He didn't say it, but you could tell. So, if you stay somewhere else, don't forget to stop by and chat with Bob, especially this season. I imagine he's feeling the lonely winter.

Gravity

Jeff
02-05-2009, 16:04
Braemer was serving hikers before Kincora or Laurel Creek and I would bet a cold soda it will still be around for the hikers after the others have closed.

Jack Tarlin
02-05-2009, 17:09
Damn, Jeff, that's a pretty curt dismissal of Kincora, which is universally acknowledged as the finest hiker facility on the entire Trail.

Enjoy your cold soda. :D

Sly
02-05-2009, 17:12
Damn, Jeff, that's a pretty curt dismissal of Kincora, which is universally acknowledged as the finest hiker facility on the entire Trail.

Beat me to it. Not sure what he meant. Regardless, of how long Bob keeps it, I venture the Kincora is there to stay.

Jeff
02-05-2009, 18:51
Sorry if I came across in a negative way. I agree Bob runs one of the best hostels on the AT!!!! Laurel Creek....can really be hit or miss.

I only meant that Braemers is owned by a native Hamptonite. (If that's a real word), who most likely will be there for a long, long time.

Lone Wolf
02-05-2009, 18:55
it's been there 25 plus years. too bad 95% of hikers don't go there. much better than kincora or laurel creek. my opinion

ofthearth
02-05-2009, 19:06
Funny how when some people say things it curt and when others say things it's "speaking the truth" . Just my one cent worth. Have not been to any of them.

MOWGLI
02-05-2009, 19:10
No one should have to apologize for their opinion. There is no "universally acknowledged" anything on the AT. And if Whiteblaze teaches you nothing else, it should at least teach you that much.

Jack Tarlin
02-05-2009, 19:14
OK, Mowgli, you're the teacher.

So tell us, then.....in your opinion, what hiker facilities are more highly regarded in the long distance A.T. community than Kincora?

Take as long as you need. :D

MOWGLI
02-05-2009, 19:19
Don't try and turn this into an argument Jack. That's not the point. When is there ever total agreement about anything about the trail? Especially on WB?

You are fiercely defensive of your friends. That's admirable. Especially when it comes to anything related to Bob Peoples. But it doesn't make Kincora "universally acknowledged" as the finest hiker facility on the AT. Lone Wolf is evidence of that.

Lone Wolf
02-05-2009, 19:22
Don't try and turn this into an argument Jack. That's not the point. When is there ever total agreement about anything about the trail? Especially on WB?

You are fiercely defensive of your friends. That's admirable. Especially when it comes to anything related to Bob Peoples. But it doesn't make Kincora "universally acknowledged" as the finest hiker facility on the AT. Lone Wolf is evidence of that.

Cloud 9 had/has potential to be one of the finest. has everything and more than kincora. wide open, plenty of tenting, big kitchen, private rooms, etc., etc.

ofthearth
02-05-2009, 19:22

No one should have to apologize for their opinion. There is no "universally acknowledged" anything on the AT. And if Whiteblaze teaches you nothing else, it should at least teach you that much.

OK, Mowgli, you're the teacher.

So tell us, then.....in your opinion, what hiker facilities are more highly regarded in the long distance A.T. community than Kincora?

Take as long as you need. :D

Jack, unless I missed something here I don't think that is/was the issue.

Rusty_S
02-05-2009, 19:25
Cloud 9 had/has potential to be one of the finest. has everything and more than kincora. wide open, plenty of tenting, big kitchen, private rooms, etc., etc.don't forget the satellite tv, hot tub, pool table, beer and smokes allowed.

MOWGLI
02-05-2009, 19:25
Cloud 9 had/has potential to be one of the finest. has everything and more than kincora. wide open, plenty of tenting, big kitchen, private rooms, etc., etc.
Hiker Hostel (Josh & Leigh's place).
Shaws
The Cabin
Pine Ellis

Lots of superb places. That's what makes the trail great.

My fave in 2000? Hard to say. It was all good.

Jack Tarlin
02-05-2009, 19:26
No one's making an argument, Mowgli, so please, calm yourself.

But anyone that's been here more than a day or two knows that you enjoy jumping on my posts, regardless of the topic, and regardless of the worthiness of your criticism. If you're really interested in who starts arguments here, Mowgli, you might want to invest in a mirror.

But regardless of what Lone Wolf may think, let's get back to the simple question I asked of YOU. If there are any hiker facilities on the A.T. held in higher regard than Kincora, please feel free to tell us where they are located.

You still never answered.

Lone Wolf
02-05-2009, 19:30
No one's making an argument, Mowgli, so please, calm yourself.

But anyone that's been here more than a day or two knows that you enjoy jumping on my posts, regardless of the topic, and regardless of the worthiness of your criticism. If you're really interested in who starts arguments here, Mowgli, you might want to invest in a mirror.

But regardless of what Lone Wolf may think, let's get back to the simple question I asked of YOU. If there are any hiker facilities on the A.T. held in higher regard than Kincora, please feel free to tell us where they are located.

You still never answered.

where do you get your data as far as folks thinkin' kincora is the BEST hostel on the trail? there are many that are much better

Lone Wolf
02-05-2009, 19:31
Hiker Hostel (Josh & Leigh's place).
Shaws
The Cabin
Pine Ellis

Lots of superb places. That's what makes the trail great.

My fave in 2000? Hard to say. It was all good.

back in day, Shaws blew 'em all away

Jack Tarlin
02-05-2009, 19:34
Wolf, you've stated many times here that you don't particularly enjoy staying in hiker hostels and you tend to avoid them.

So one could fairly ask, where do YOU get your information? In that it evidently isn't first-hand knowledge. :D

But let's ask Wolf the same question: What presently operating hostels are spoken of more highly than Kincora?

MOWGLI
02-05-2009, 19:38
What presently operating hostels are spoken of more highly than Kincora?

Interesting... It's morphed from "universally acknowledged as the finest hiker facility on the entire Trail" to the above.

That was EXACTLY my point.

Lone Wolf
02-05-2009, 19:39
Wolf, you've stated many times here that you don't particularly enjoy staying in hiker hostels and you tend to avoid them.

So one could fairly ask, where do YOU get your information? In that it evidently isn't first-hand knowledge. :D

But let's ask Wolf the same question: What presently operating hostels are spoken of more highly than Kincora?

i used to stay at hostels early on, now only ones that have lots of tent space and are easily accessible to services. kincora has neither.

i'll ask you. besides you, who says kincora is the most highly spoken of?

in your opinion, it's the best. just your opinion. that's fine

Lone Wolf
02-05-2009, 19:40
Interesting... It's morphed from "universally acknowledged as the finest hiker facility on the entire Trail" to the above.

That was EXACTLY my point.

we should bow out. he's gonna have the last word no matter hat.

Jack Tarlin
02-05-2009, 19:41
The discussion hasn't "morped" in the slightest, Mowgli.

I'm not interested in debating places that operated "back in the day" or that closed their doors years ago.

I'm interested in places that are open NOW, i.e. this hiker season.

If there are any out there that are spoken of better, or are praised more often than Kincora, then we don't seem to be hearing about them.

MOWGLI
02-05-2009, 19:41
we should bow out. he's gonna have the last word no matter hat.

See ya! I'm headed to the movies.

Rusty_S
02-05-2009, 19:42
If there are any out there that are spoken of better, or are praised more often than Kincora, then we don't seem to be hearing about them.Ron Haven's

MOWGLI
02-05-2009, 19:42
The discussion hasn't "morped" in the slightest, Mowgli.

I'm not interested in debating places that operated "back in the day" or that closed their doors years ago.

I'm interested in places that are open NOW, i.e. this hiker season.

If there are any out there that are spoken of better, or are praised more often than Kincora, then we don't seem to be hearing about them.

The self-proclaimed trail legend has spoken. :D

Lone Wolf
02-05-2009, 19:44

we're goin' to Quinceys Pizza to critique it. later

Jack Tarlin
02-05-2009, 19:44
Ron Haven is a prince, no question about it, but we were talking about hostels and not motels.

Up until this month, Ron was not known as a hostel-keeper.

Lone Wolf
02-05-2009, 19:45
Ron Haven's

not a hostel. yet

ofthearth
02-05-2009, 19:48

Wait! Don't go! This is entertaining. ;)

Jack Tarlin
02-05-2009, 19:51
Funny thing. I just realized I've been arguing with a guy who just admitted that his personal knowledge of staying at Trail hostels was from "the early days" or "back in the day".

The other guy hiked in 2000, almost a decade ago. Many places that were open back then have since closed; many of the places that hikers stay at now didn't exist back then, and I question how many of them he's actually stayed at or even seen.

But despite this, they still want to speak with authority on the subject. Sorry guys, but what with a guy who hiked ten years ago, and a guy who repeatedly admits he doesn't stay in hostels anymore, well, this doesn't exactly buff up your credentials much, at least not on this particular subject.

You guys need to get out more, and not just to the movies. :D

Tin Man
02-05-2009, 19:53
wait! Don't Go! This Is Entertaining. ;)

Ssdd

Lone Wolf
02-05-2009, 19:55
Funny thing. I just realized I've been arguing with a guy who just admitted that his personal knowledge of staying at Trail hostels was from "the early days" or "back in the day".

The other guy hiked in 2000, almost a decade ago. Many places that were open back then have since closed; many of the places that hikers stay at now didn't exist back then, and I question how many of them he's actually stayed at or even seen.

But despite this, they still want to speak with authority on the subject. Sorry guys, but what with a guy who hiked ten years ago, and a guy who repeatedly admits he doesn't stay in hostels anymore, well, this doesn't exactly buff up your credentials much, at least not on this particular subject.

You guys need to get out more, and not just to the movies. :D

you're the only one "arguing". take bob away from kincora and insertsomeone else it's just an OK place to stay

Jack Tarlin
02-05-2009, 19:59
You miss the point entirely, Wolf.

The reason to stay there IS Bob.

Pity you don't get it. About 20,000 other folks figured this out awhile ago.

ofthearth
02-05-2009, 20:14
Ssdd

I know but I don't have a TV and How The World Turns (?) went off the air awhile back. :) I guess I could go get a beer.:-?

Tin Man
02-05-2009, 20:40
I know but I don't have a TV and How The World Turns (?) went off the air awhile back. :) I guess I could go get a beer.:-?

well, the entertainment value IS higher than TV, but lower than most other pursuits. it's winter and everyone gets ornery waiting for hiking season and the next installment of where's minnie or whatever.

Sly
02-05-2009, 22:10

Huh? It's not close to town.

I can't think of any that are in-town, allows drinking, and has all the amenities with camping.

Some thing like Laurel Creek within walking distance of town would be ideal.

Rockhound
02-05-2009, 22:52
Kincora has the one thing no other hostels offer. That's Bob. No one disputes that he is a great guy and makes it well worth the trip. Aside from this, the whole "best hostel on the trail" argument is completely subjective and makes this whole pissing contest that is going on here a little humorous. It's like that 6 year old, "my dad can beat up your dad" scenario.

Rockhound
02-05-2009, 22:55
Besides, everyone knows that Standing Bear is the best.

ChinMusic
02-05-2009, 23:25
Man, I had to get another bag of popcorn.

ed bell
02-06-2009, 00:04
Kincora has the one thing no other hostels offer. That's Bob. No one disputes that he is a great guy and makes it well worth the trip. Aside from this, the whole "best hostel on the trail" argument is completely subjective and makes this whole pissing contest that is going on here a little humorous. It's like that 6 year old, "my dad can beat up your dad" scenario.Bob turned the heads of my wife and I back in 2003. He was a most accommodating host and shuttle driver. My wife was LD hiking, I met her at Kincora and we moved to a hotel room because of the crowded conditions at Bob's. I would have liked to just stay there, but there was no room and even less privacy. Kincora is an awsome place because of Bob and the house is really cool as well. I met up with my wife at Standing Bear as well. I liked the layout there much more than Kincora. Both places are cool in my book. Variety is the spice of life and nobody has the same preferances as the next person. Can't a simple opinion just be noted without it being interpreted as an attack? Parts of this thread seem to answer the previous question with a "no". Thankfully, many can see that.

Mr HaHa
02-06-2009, 10:17
it's been there 25 plus years. too bad 95% of hikers don't go there. much better than kincora or laurel creek. my opinion Stayed there in june with 4 other hikers. We had the run of the whole place. The owner and his wife could'nt have been more accomodating. Combining that with the fact that the castle is right in town near a store, food service, a bar etc. etc. its a great place to stay.

kanga
02-06-2009, 12:36
everybody stop. jack is right and you all know it. well, at least he does.

Lone Wolf
02-06-2009, 12:40
Stayed there in june with 4 other hikers. We had the run of the whole place. The owner and his wife could'nt have been more accomodating. Combining that with the fact that the castle is right in town near a store, food service, a bar etc. etc. its a great place to stay.

so it's a good thing hikers are sheep-like and pack themselves into kincora. more space for us in braemer castle :)

Rockhound
02-06-2009, 14:13
If you keep letting the secret slip Wolf, the castle might not stay uncrowded. Shhhhh.

MOWGLI
02-06-2009, 14:41
so it's a good thing hikers are sheep-like and pack themselves into kincora. more space for us in braemer castle :)

Visual image of the King of the Blue Blazers in his Castle. :sun

Tin Man
02-06-2009, 14:46

when's the party?

TimeSnake
02-07-2009, 01:35
Its not thru hiker season maaan

Lion King
02-07-2009, 23:31
Stayed at Laurel last spring with 3 others. Took the "Old AT" past Coon Den Falls (real nice falls BTW) and walked past Laurel and decided to stay. We were the only ones there and the guy running it seemed OK. Ordered pizza from the pay phone and hung out. We got there before the Thru hiker crowd and with Kincora down the road were not surprised to find it not busy. No complaints. Maybe lion king should stay at Uncle J's instead.

What the hell did I say?

I like Bob. Laurel folks were nothing but nice when I stopped in to get a couple of drinks on the way out...

Weird youd bring me up.

Lion King
02-07-2009, 23:35

Alright, Mr Sunshine...yeah, this is positive to rag on me cuz I got effed at UJ back in 1999 and complained about it? Trust me, I wasnt alone that year or the next 2....

Have a nap and leave me out of your drama.

Bumpa
02-08-2009, 00:01
one of the joys of staying at Braemar is meeting Sutton.lol....went to the store one morning for a prearranged shuttle and it took me 30 minutes to get him out of three different conversations on the way to his vehicle...interesting guy...good place to stay

Lone Wolf
02-08-2009, 00:01
so bottum lyne, **** hostels. they take away from one's individualality

Lone Wolf
02-08-2009, 00:03
one of the joys of staying at Braemar is meeting Sutton.lol....went to the store one morning for a prearranged shuttle and it took me 30 minutes to get him out of three different conversations on the way to his vehicle...interesting guy...good place to stay

that too. sutton is also a good dude. just like bob

bessiebreeze
02-08-2009, 23:07
Well, I vote for Braemar Castle. It's 100% better than Kincora or Laurel Fork Lodge.
It's very convenient, it is CLEAN, Sutton will arrange any type of a shuttle for you, the rooms are big, the kitchen is good, and IT IS CLEAN.
I stayed at Braemar twice last summer, and at Kincora once, and walked through Laurel Fork. So what I am saying is not hear say.

Jack Tarlin
02-09-2009, 15:48
It's pretty easy to keep a place nice and clean when there aren't 25 hikers a day going in and out of your place and if you don't spend six hours a day driving them around for free, never mind the hours you spend each week doing volunteer Trail work. :rolleyes:

But if you think a place is "100% better" than Kincora, well that's your opinion.

Funny thing. Whenever I go to Kincora, I always see folks helping Bob out, sweeping the place up, doing dishes, making beds, emptying trash cans, etc.

During their one visit, I wonder how much effort the above poster performed in an effort to help keep Kincora "clean".

I bet it wasn't much.

After all, for four bucks, some folks expect the Hotel Australia. :D

MOWGLI
02-09-2009, 15:56
Someone expresses a preference for Braemer Castle, so something obviously must be wrong with them. Sheesh!

Funny thing... in the past few days I found out I have a 3 day meeting at Laurel Creek Lodge in June. I haven't stayed there since 2000. I look forward to catching some trout, hiking a bit, and perhaps doing some trail work. :banana

Jack Tarlin
02-09-2009, 16:05
Hey, Mowgli, give it a rest.

Do you have NOTHING better to do than jump on each and every one of my posts regardless of what I've said?

Nobody said there was anything obviously wrong with this poster. Please don't put words in people's mouths.

All I was saying is that the "100% better than Kincora!" comment was a bit over the top.

Of course Kincora gets a bit more wear and tear than Braemar. Maybe that's cuz a helluva lot more folks stay at Kincora and Bob is doing more important things than dusting, OK?

Sheesh, Mowgli, give it a rest.

Rusty_S
02-09-2009, 16:11
I have never stayed at Braemar but it sounds like it is 100 percent better than Kincora. Nice things cost more money.

Jack Tarlin
02-09-2009, 16:16
Great.

You've evidently never been to a place that is the most highly regarded hostel on the entire Trail.

But you think another place is "100% better", and imply that it's better cuz Kincora isn't a "nice place".

Great attitude.

In any case, we'll miss you at Kincora.

Um, actually, we won't. Enjoy your stay at "nicer" places".

Honestly, folks, Braemar is a great spot and the folks who run it are wonderful people. But some of these posts lately have been ridiculous. To criticize Kincora because it's not clean enough is pretty lame. And for anyone to postulate about places being "100%" better than other facilities when they haven't actually been to the place they're discussing......well sorry, but that's just silly.

Lone Wolf
02-09-2009, 16:17
I have never stayed at Braemar but it sounds like it is 100 percent better than Kincora. Nice things cost more money.

for a few dollars more Braemer is well worth it and a lot more convienant

Lone Wolf
02-09-2009, 16:19
You've evidently never been to a place that is the most highly regarded hostel on the entire Trail.

where is that written? you're the only one i've ever heard say that :-?

Rusty_S
02-09-2009, 16:21
Why shouldn't Braemar be 100 percent better than Kincora. It cost 275 percent more.

Jack Tarlin
02-09-2009, 16:22
I've heard hundreds of folks say it over the years, Wolf.

Maybe you need to spend some more time on the Trail talking to hikers. :D

But since you brought it up, name the facilities you think are more highly regarded; I'd be curious to hear your thoughts.

Oh, and we're talking about places that are still open, not places from 20 years ago. :rolleyes:

MOWGLI
Do you have NOTHING better to do than jump on each and every one of my posts regardless of what I've said?

Stop playing the victim. I tend to respond to your posts where you unnecessarily attack or unfairly characterize someone - or when I think you are wrong. That's hardly "each and every" post. If you hadn't suggested that BessieBreeze probably didn't help clean up at Kincora, I wouldn't have responded.

Why can't someone simply have an opinion that differs from yours? That's been my point in this thread from the start.

Rockhound
Either of you guys ever stay at Laurel Fork? I hear that's a pretty nice place.:D

Jack Tarlin
02-09-2009, 16:24
Hey Rusty, glad to see you judge something's actual worth from what it costs.

I've stayed in plenty of over-priced hotels and had countless over-priced meals.

Just cuz something has a higher list price doesn't inherently make it "better", tho you're welcome to think otherwise.

On the A.T. some of the finest places to stay are NOT the places that charge the most.

Imagine that.

Lone Wolf
02-09-2009, 16:29
I've heard hundreds of folks say it over the years, Wolf.

Maybe you need to spend some more time on the Trail talking to hikers. :D

But since you brought it up, name the facilities you think are more highly regarded; I'd be curious to hear your thoughts.

Oh, and we're talking about places that are still open, not places from 20 years ago. :rolleyes:

i see and talk to a lot more hikers in a season than you do by living in damascus. i ask lots of them how they liked kincora. all say bob is wonderful butr most say it's a little too crowded and very convienant to stores and stuff.

YOU brought up kincora being highly regarded. not me

you just can't stand anyone having a different opinion than yours. you love kincora. not everybody does. we all like to spend our days off differently

Lone Wolf
02-09-2009, 16:30
i see and talk to a lot more hikers in a season than you do by living in damascus. i ask lots of them how they liked kincora. all say bob is wonderful butr most say it's a little too crowded and not very convienant to stores and stuff.

YOU brought up kincora being highly regarded. not me

you just can't stand anyone having a different opinion than yours. you love kincora. not everybody does. we all like to spend our days off differently

Lone Wolf
02-09-2009, 16:32
Why can't someone simply have an opinion that differs from yours? That's been my point in this thread from the start.
just let him have the last word :rolleyes:

Slo-go'en
02-09-2009, 16:37
During their one visit, I wonder how much effort the above poster performed in an effort to help keep Kincora "clean".

When ever I stay someplace, be it a hostel or shelter, I spend a few minutes cleaning/ straightening up the place. If I see a broom, I'll sweep the place out. In a motel, I'll strip the bed, make sure all the garbage is in one place and leave a tip for the poor housekeeping girls. Guess its the old caretaker in me. :)

I know others help keep places clean, but a lot don't. Remeber, your a guest in these places and should leave it in as good a condition as it was when you got there, or even better.

Jack Tarlin
02-09-2009, 16:44
Not interested in the last word, cuz I'll never get it and don't want it, but a real quick ote to Mowgli:

Hiker hostels are co-operative enterprises. They have to be. I.e. if the sink is full of dishes, then you help wash or dry them. If a load of laundry needs folding, then you take two minutes and help out. If a garbage can is full, you empty it and find a new liner.

This isn't exactly difficult and most folks don't whine about it.

All I said was that if someone felt that Kincora needed sprucing up, then they could've taken all of two minutes and swepthe kitchen or policed up some wet towels, OK?

Geez, I didn't think this was too much to ask.

So tell me Mowgli, why was my response to Bessie so out of line?

Everywhere I've seen, whether it was at Janet's, or Shaw's, or Tom Levardi's,
or the Vernon Church, or wherever, if some little thing needed doing, and the cartaker/owner wasn't around, then guess what? Then some hiker actually stepped up and did what was necessary.

This isn't that big a deal and I don't know why you object to my saying so.

But I guess for some folks it IS a big deal, and you know what? Those kinds of folks are better off staying somewhere else.

Jack Tarlin
02-09-2009, 16:44
Slo Go En gets it.

Rusty_S
02-09-2009, 16:53
so where is my dividend check from staying at these co-op hiker hostels.

Jack Tarlin
02-09-2009, 17:03
Nice attitude.

We're talking about a place that asks for a DONATION of four dollars, and half the folks who stay there don't even bother to pay that. They get a shower, bunk, phone, laundry, use of a kitchen. They get a shuttle ride to restaurants and supermarkets, a shuttle that'd cost at least ten bucks additional anywhere else. And they get to spend time with one of the greatest people on the whole A.T.

That's what one gets at Kincora and it's worth a helluva lot more than four dollars.

But some folks want a dividend check. :D

Um, Rusty, ALL trail hostels operative as co-operative entities where folks are encouraged and expected to help out in order to keep the place going. If this is too onerous or difficult for you, and you expect or need everything done for you, there's a simple remedy: Stay at a hotel.

Lilred
02-09-2009, 17:06
so where is my dividend check from staying at these co-op hiker hostels.

I would say the cheap rent is your co-op check. C'mon, 4 bucks for a stay in a warm room, with showers and kitchen privileges and you want money for helping out?? There is no excuse for the person that complains about a dirty hostel. They need to get off their lazy butts and help clean if they think the place needs it. I'm glad I stayed at Kincora and met Bob and Pat. Wonderful hosts and frankly, I think they are the arch-angels of trail angels. I hope this years thru-hikers will help Bob out instead of seeing what's in it for them.

Lone Wolf
02-09-2009, 17:06
We're talking about a place that asks for a DONATION of four dollars, and half the folks who stay there don't even bother to pay that.

nobody's fault but bob's. i wouldn' ask for ****, i'd require everyone to pay

Lone Wolf
02-09-2009, 17:07
Nice attitude.

We're talking about a place that asks for a DONATION of four dollars, and half the folks who stay there don't even bother to pay that. They get a shower, bunk, phone, laundry, use of a kitchen. They get a shuttle ride to restaurants and supermarkets, a shuttle that'd cost at least ten bucks additional anywhere else. And they get to spend time with one of the greatest people on the whole A.T.

That's what one gets at Kincora and it's worth a helluva lot more than four dollars.

But some folks want a dividend check. :D

Um, Rusty, ALL trail hostels operative as co-operative entities where folks are encouraged and expected to help out in order to keep the place going. If this is too onerous or difficult for you, and you expect or need everything done for you, there's a simple remedy: Stay at a hotel.

I would say the cheap rent is your co-op check. C'mon, 4 bucks for a stay in a warm room, with showers and kitchen privileges and you want money for helping out?? There is no excuse for the person that complains about a dirty hostel. They need to get off their lazy butts and help clean if they think the place needs it. I'm glad I stayed at Kincora and met Bob and Pat. Wonderful hosts and frankly, I think they are the arch-angels of trail angels. I hope this years thru-hikers will help Bob out instead of seeing what's in it for them.

pretty sure 'ol rusty is kiddin'

Rusty_S
02-09-2009, 17:12
just because someplace has cheap rent doesn't mean that they are a co-op

Rockhound
02-09-2009, 17:17
If all the hikers picked up after themselves and left the place better than they found it, I'd be out of a job. Shhhhhhhh.

Jack Tarlin
02-09-2009, 17:17
I don't think Rusty is kidding at all.

I think he actually wants that dividend.

Which means we won't be seeing him at Kincora anytime soon.

Gosh, will the world keep turning? :rolleyes:

George
02-09-2009, 17:34
donation vs fee often has to do with insurance and licencing I pay at least 20 for shower and bunk and hope others would as well or do significant work

Jack Tarlin
02-09-2009, 17:38
George gets it.

Unfortunately, most folks don't want to pay anything, and some refuse to do any work.

Nice attitude.

George
02-09-2009, 17:56
Jack are you going to be cooking again for hardcore? I'm hoping to make it again

Yahtzee
02-09-2009, 18:04
I might be one of the few who has stayed at all three. And I'm just glad that all three exist. Braemer is cool and usually empty. Great place if you are looking for a quiet night. Kincorra is great, but can get overly crowded. The only problem with that is you may not like every hiker and are usually in close quarters with all of them. Laural Fork is much like Braemer in that it is usually empty and quiet. The cabins and setting are excellent, tho. Not sure what the kerfuffel is all about. This area is much like Andover, ME, lotsa choices and all of them good.

dmax
02-09-2009, 18:05
I don't mind paying, but its not my responsibility to clean up after other people. I met Bob before, very nice guy. I didn't stay. Too many people. If he has a problem of having to pick up after dirty hikers, maybe he should raise his fee and hire some help. If I decide to go to motel 6 or a very nice marriot hotel, you sure won't find me in the laundry room folding sheets or in the kitchen washing dishes. Thats what I pay money for. I do agree 4 dollars is cheap. If I ever do stay there, I will offer alittle more. I haven't stayed at too many hostels. Its not for me. The ones I did stay at didn't expect a hiker to come off the trail and start doing dishes and mopping.

Rusty_S
02-09-2009, 18:13
I don't mind paying, but its not my responsibility to clean up after other people. I met Bob before, very nice guy. I didn't stay. Too many people. If he has a problem of having to pick up after dirty hikers, maybe he should raise his fee and hire some help. If I decide to go to motel 6 or a very nice marriot hotel, you sure won't find me in the laundry room folding sheets or in the kitchen washing dishes. Thats what I pay money for. I do agree 4 dollars is cheap. If I ever do stay there, I will offer alittle more. I haven't stayed at too many hostels. Its not for me. The ones I did stay at didn't expect a hiker to come off the trail and start doing dishes and mopping.good post

Yahtzee
02-09-2009, 18:21
I don't mind paying, but its not my responsibility to clean up after other people. I met Bob before, very nice guy. I didn't stay. Too many people. If he has a problem of having to pick up after dirty hikers, maybe he should raise his fee and hire some help. If I decide to go to motel 6 or a very nice marriot hotel, you sure won't find me in the laundry room folding sheets or in the kitchen washing dishes. Thats what I pay money for. I do agree 4 dollars is cheap. If I ever do stay there, I will offer alittle more. I haven't stayed at too many hostels. Its not for me. The ones I did stay at didn't expect a hiker to come off the trail and start doing dishes and mopping.

While I may not do the dishes or mop the floors, I always felt a little guilty about how trashed my hotel rooms got and before I left would always make the cleanup as easy as possible for the hotel staff. That is something I never do when I use hotels in a non-hiking setting.

MOWGLI
02-09-2009, 18:35
While I may not do the dishes or mop the floors, I always felt a little guilty about how trashed my hotel rooms got and before I left would always make the cleanup as easy as possible for the hotel staff. That is something I never do when I use hotels in a non-hiking setting.

I always leave a tip for the maid in a hotel/motel. They depend on tips since they are often paid little.

Jack Tarlin
02-09-2009, 19:30
dmax:

A hiker hostel is NOT a motel.

It's shared space, just like a shelter.

And nobody is getting rich from running one, especially when we're talking about a place that asks for a four buck donation.

And let's be perfectly blunt:

There are some really good reasons Kincora might not have been so spiffy this past year and most of us are well aware of them.

Bob, the proprietor, was occupied with other things.

But even if he didn't have pressing personal and family issues to occupy his time, let's remember that he also spends countless hours each year doing volunteer work on the Trail. And in Bob's case, this is a designated Wilderness Area, i.e. no power tools permited. Which means if the kitchen sink in Kincora had a few dishes in it, maybe it's cuz Bob just got finished taking out a 36-inch diameter Trail blowdown with hand-saw, and oddly enough, felt that the hostel kitchen could wait til later.

I'm not going to debate this furhter, because it's a ridiculous argument. When you stay in a hostel, you're sharing communal space. There may well be a caretaker or resident owner, but during hiker season, they're overwhelmed with tasks and responsibilities, most of which involve taking care of the various needs of their guests.

Everyone that elects to stay at a hostel elects to stay at a place that is communally occupied. They also voluntarily stay at a place that is crowded and in constant use during hiker season.

There's always something to do, or something that needs doing, and the owner, manager, or care-taker is simply not able to do everything themselves.

So what usually happens is that guests see a need, and happily pitch in for a few minutes. Usually, without being asked.

But the simple statement "It's not my job to clean up after other people" is as wrong as it is selfish.

If you elect to stay in a popular, by donation hiker hostel on the A.T., then it is absolutely one's responsibility to help keep the place shipshape and running smoothly, and if you're NOT willing to do this, then one has two easy options:

1) Keep your complaints to yourself

2) Better yet, stay somewhere else. This obviously isn't your kind of place.

Tin Man
02-09-2009, 19:38
dude, you need to start hiking or something... take your high horse and ride right the heck out of hanover ... NOW

:D

Jack Tarlin
02-09-2009, 19:39
I'm leaving town in a few weeks, and expect to be doing more hiking than some folks here I might mention, TM. :rolleyes:

But gee, thanks for the suggestion.

Tin Man
02-09-2009, 19:40
i forgot... 'calm yourself' jack

ok, everyone step away from the keyboard and let jack vent. he will have the last say anyway... so, just let him

saimyoji
02-09-2009, 19:41
Jack, you talk alot about cleanliness, but ya know, i've seen you smoking while preparing food, i've seen you do things, touch things, nasty things, then get right back to cookin'.

but pick up those wet towels, sweep that floor.

wait, let me get over myself. now i've got to not hurt myself...now calming myself.....ah yes. all better. :D

chomp

Lugnut
02-09-2009, 19:42
nobody's fault but bob's. i wouldn' ask for ****, i'd require everyone to pay

I asked Bob why he didn't do just that and he said if he did it legally became a business with all the associated headaches.

saimyoji
02-09-2009, 19:43
damn, i hate post overlap. now my calming myself bit doesn't sound so witty.

damn you TinMin. :mad:

Tin Man
02-09-2009, 19:44
damn, i hate post overlap. now my calming myself bit doesn't sound so witty.

damn you TinMin. :mad:

it's the thought that counts :D

neighbor dave
02-09-2009, 19:44
:-? insert a "beating the dead horse" emoticon :-?
maybe some morphine too:rolleyes:

dmax
02-09-2009, 19:53
yeah, I can help it run ship shape and running smootly by pick up after myself and my messes.

If I pay the 4$ "donation" plus a 20 dollar , or forty dollar, or 60 dollar tip, Do I still need to pick up after you?

And yes, I pick up after hikers all the time. I go to local trail heads and pick up litter. I also pick up trash on the trail. When I go to a shelter, while out day hiking, I pack out all trash found.

Lone Wolf
02-09-2009, 19:57
i never pick up after hikers. especially in or around shelter areas

Sly
02-09-2009, 20:14

So if you usd the free laundry detergent, emptied the box, you'd leave it to the side? Or if you used the free towel, you'd just leave it on the floor, once you were finished? . Use the dishes without washing them? Arranged your food drop, fill the trash barrel, just leave it? Ran out of toilet paper, just open a new one without throwing the old away? Track dirt through the hostel and let someone else sweep?

WILLIAM HAYES
02-09-2009, 20:16
now boys everyone has an opinion and guess what one is just as good as the next ..personally I have stayed at laurel three times not necessarily by design but just worked out that way .... worked out fine for me

Hillbilly

Blister
02-10-2009, 01:04
]Jack has volunteered to get of his high horse and I have volunteered to ride the steed.
Firstly; for $4 dollars, you do your laundry and have the cameraderie with your fellow hikers, priceless.
The largest bennefit of those that have visited in the past was to meet both Bob and Pat. Last year, unfortunatley, we lost Pat (during hiking season, hence those complaining, bite your tounge). She was one of the most amazing women any one of us had the opportunity to meet on trail. I know for myself that meeting the two of them absolutley made my life a better place to be and in result I am a better person.
I cannot believe that those of you whinning over four dollars and your discount allowed if it so happen you pick up a broom and help out. Meet the people that actually run the establishments, it will be the highlight of your hike and perhaps give you an insight of humanity that I am finding quite ignorant here on whiteblaze.
What keeps every trail going is the trail family - the hikers, the maintainers and more so on the A.T. the hostels and the angels. With that in mind kincora is a gold mine.
For most of you, this is still early in the trail, others (section hikers) tend to be a bit over zelous about services. Hostels are not Marriot Hotels. Kincora happens to be one of the first hostels that hikers encounter and one of the best run by one of the most dedicated individuals that I know. Bob Peoples is responsible for trail maintenace from Vermont to Tennessee. He has built some of the most amazing trail and rock staircases that you will probablly be so ignorant to realize. Just walk over it and never ponder the thought of the man power it took to create. For you are just many of 1,000's of hikers taking part in the path that bareley a 100 built for you.
The owners of Laurel - whatever - that particular property has had several owners since the origin of Kincora, always trying to provide better accomodations. Kincora is truly about the journey.
Kincora came to be out of a dream by two dedicated trail enthusiast. Personnally I was very touched and amazed how Bob profoundly took on caring for his amazing wife, saying goodbye to her, and yet had the time to deal with the selfish bargain hunters who think $4 was not worth their experience. (How would you deal with it as you are saying goodbye to your wife while 20+ hikers a day saying what about me.......)
Trails are about choice and simplicity, once you decide to leave the mainstream public transit realm and depend on your simple feet, why bring that city ignorance and judge those that out of their kind hearts offer you part of their lives to take care of your well being.
Unlike Jack I have hiked many of the other trails in the country. What I have reealized is that those folks, whose lifetime dream of hiking the Appalachian Trail, the ultimate wilderness experience (NOT!) I invite any of you to spend time on a real "wilderness" trail. There are no hostels, no trail towns, you will be looked at as transiant. I do however cherish the wonderful people i have met in my travels. Bob and Pat Peoples Trail Creators, Trail Maintainers and Trail Angels - now literally.

Get off Jacks back , get on mine - I dare ya.

Arroggance, Ignorance, Selfishness, the only thing that belongs on the trail is respect, that's my point. Kincora, why it is there, still there, and as long as Bob ccan sustain it, will become and is trail legend. The other place, just another place to stay.

:dance:dance:dance:dance[/CENTER]

Lone Wolf
02-10-2009, 06:18
jack brings it on himself. not everybody loves kincora

earlyriser26
02-10-2009, 09:39
Alright, Mr Sunshine...yeah, this is positive to rag on me cuz I got effed at UJ back in 1999 and complained about it? Trust me, I wasnt alone that year or the next 2....

Have a nap and leave me out of your drama.
Some seem born to be "effed":sun

warraghiyagey
02-10-2009, 09:48
No one should have to apologize for their opinion. There is no "universally acknowledged" anything on the AT..
Unfortunately, the bullies don't see it that way, and they type louder than they yell. . .

D'Artagnan
02-10-2009, 10:13
I stayed at Kincora about two years ago in July and had a great time. I hope to stay there again but it will be bittersweet since Pat has passed.

Speaking of tips, etc., if you, as I and some of my friends did, order pizza to be delivered, please be considerate of the driver and give him or her a decent gratuity. Until I went into town with Pat, I didn't realize how long a drive that actually was.

Jack Tarlin
02-10-2009, 14:16
Hey Wolf....

You're absolutely right. There will always be someone, somewhere, who finds fault with a place, even if it's a place that thousands of people love.

You're right, Wolf. Not everyone that stays at Kincora loves the place.

And that's fine.

In future, they can elect to stay somewhere else, which accomplishes two things: It opens up a bunk for somebody else that's heard good things and is looking forward very much to staying there; plus, it insures that the high-maintenance, whiny pain in the ass stays somewhere else.

Great! Everybody wins!

I just re-read this whole thread. The biggest gift the critics of Kincora can
provide (I.e. "This places is too crowded!" or "This place needs dusting!" or whatever) is to stay somewhere else. They'll be much happier and so will everyone else.

And I assure you, at Kincora, they won't be remotely missed.

kanga
02-10-2009, 14:33
Hey Wolf....

You're absolutely right. There will always be someone, somewhere, who finds fault with a place, even if it's a place that thousands of people love.

You're right, Wolf. Not everyone that stays at Kincora loves the place.

And that's fine.

In future, they can elect to stay somewhere else, which accomplishes two things: It opens up a bunk for somebody else that's heard good things and is looking forward very much to staying there; plus, it insures that the high-maintenance, whiny pain in the ass stays somewhere else.

Great! Everybody wins!

I just re-read this whole thread. The biggest gift the critics of Kincora can
provide (I.e. "This places is too crowded!" or "This place needs dusting!" or whatever) is to stay somewhere else. They'll be much happier and so will everyone else.

And I assure you, at Kincora, they won't be remotely missed.

what great advertising, jack. i'm sure bob will appreciate you speaking for his hostel. as far as i can see, the real benefit to skipping kincora in lieu of another place would be a little more quiet, namely missing out on your insanely negative attitude and elitist statements.

Jack Tarlin
02-10-2009, 14:38
Hey Kanga:

Please tell me where I've said ANYTHING remotely negative about the Braemar Castle or Laurel Creek, Kincora's local competition.

Please tell me exactly what I said was "insanely negative" or "elitist".

What I said was that if you elect to stay at a hiker hostel,especially a non-profit, by donation one, then you should help out for a few minutes if you see something that needs to be done, especially if the owner or manager is off doing other things, like Trail maintenance, or spending two hours running hikers to the market........for free.

Why on earth do you find this so objectionable about what I said?

Is taking three minutes to fold some towels that tough a thing to ask?

Gosh, what an indescribable and intolerable hardship. :rolleyes:

kanga
02-10-2009, 14:47
Hey Kanga:

Please tell me where I've said ANYTHING remotely negative about the Braemar Castle or Laurel Creek, Kincora's local competition.

Please tell me exactly what I said was "insanely negative" or "elitist".

What I said was that if you elect to stay at a hiker hostel,especially a non-profit, by donation one, then you should help out for a few minutes if you see something that needs to be done, especially if the owner or manager is off doing other things, like Trail maintenance, or spending two hours running hikers to the market........for free.

Why on earth do you find this so objectionable about what I said?

Is taking three minutes to fold some towels that tough a thing to ask?

Gosh, what an indescribable and intolerable hardship. :rolleyes:

it's not one quote jack. don't be so literal. life is not black and white as you seem to insist. it's your general overall attitude. if someone doesn't agree with you then they are WRONG. there is no other way but the bj way. you said kincora is "universally acknowledged as the finest hiker facility on the entire Trail" and people speak up with their own opinions about other hostels and you proceed to flame them for having one different than yours. you're condescending in the way that you respond to people, like you're talking to a bunch of village idiots that couldn't POSSIBLY understand the point of someone as intelligent as you. you have a lot of valuable knowledge and i would be willing to listen to some of it if you weren't such an ass about imparting it.

yappy
02-10-2009, 14:47
Oh brother.... we sure get worked up ! Bob was terrifically nice to me. He treated me like a daughter..super nice. It was crowded but I was tired and I just DEALT. My God, if ya don't like it don't stay . there are alot of great hostels on the trail. I would say most of them are pretty good. When I am staying in them these days I would rather just be in my tent in the back yard though. it is funny, I hear alot of hikers complaining about stuff while I am there.. yack yack yack. It seems to be getting harder and harder to make AT hikers happy. Don't head West , for sure.

On the CT in 07 we met a guy that was BENT cuz the town folks weren't catering to him. It got embarassing. he wanted people to open up their houses to him. haha... they had no idea what he was talking about ! he said he wasn't interested in the Pct cuz of his Ct experience. I had a hard time not laughing and applauding. Please, don't EXPECT a gucci stay. That is not what ANY of these places are about.

Rainbow Springs now THAT was strange place....

Jack Tarlin
02-10-2009, 14:49
Addition to the last post:

Kanga, I've spoken on behalf of Bob and his hostel more times than I can think of. Especially when people dis-respect it.

And I don't think Bob's got any problem with this, as I've known him for almost 12 years and consider him one of my closest friends.

But if you doubt this, why don't you ask him, if ever you meet him.

But truth is, if someone felt they were too good or too special to pick a towel off the floor or dry a plate, then yeah, he probably wouldn't want them there.

And if you knew actually knew what you were talking about, Kanga, you wouldn't dispute this.

So yeah, by all means stay somewhere else. When the phone don't ring from folks wondering where you are, you'll know it's us.

kanga
02-10-2009, 14:50
o.
k.

Jack Tarlin
02-10-2009, 14:53
Hey Kanga:

Since you disagree with me on this, in all seriousness, if there's a place on the A.T. that you know of that is acknowledged to be a better place than Kincora, or is more frequently praised by more hikers, then please tell us all what and where it is,OK?

This would be really useful information for lots of folks.

Take as long as you need with this.

Rockhound
02-10-2009, 14:55
Jack, You do realize this is a completely subjective argument that can't be won right?

Ender
02-10-2009, 14:55
Jack, You do realize this is a completely subjective argument that can't be won right?

I doubt he does.

Ender
02-10-2009, 14:57
You know what... let me retract that and apologize for saying that to Jack. It was rude, and I shouldn't have stepped into the middle of this ridiculousness.

Gray Blazer
02-10-2009, 14:59
You know what... let me retract that and apologize for saying that to Jack. It was rude, and I shouldn't have stepped into the middle of this ridiculousness.

Too late. You're on the Poo-Poo list. :D:banana

Ender
02-10-2009, 15:00
Too late. You're on the Poo-Poo list. :D:banana

Oh, I've been on that for a while now :p It's been too late for me for a while!

neighbor dave
02-10-2009, 15:04
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showpost.php?p=775075&postcount=127

D'Artagnan
02-10-2009, 15:19
Kanga RULES!;)

neighbor dave
02-10-2009, 15:25
:-? trail towns back in the day :eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1a8goWjZGdo&feature=related

:D:D:D

max patch
02-10-2009, 15:40
Rainbow Springs now THAT was strange place....

Best place on the trail!!!

Of course, Kincora wasn't open yet when I passed thru...

Rockhound
02-10-2009, 15:40
My favorite hostels (that are still open) in no particular order are Kincora primarily because of Bob, the Back home again in Rutland VT., the Bears Den hostel in Bluemont VA. the Hikers Welcome in Glencliff NH. the Green Mountain house I believe is in Bennington VT.(new hostel 5 stars), the Mountain Harbour B&B near Elk Park NC. Uncle Johnnys' in Erwin TN. and the Standing Bear Hostel in Hartford TN. I have not yet stayed at Shaws, the Blueberry Patch and others which is why they may not be on the list. I hope to rectify this over the next couple years. Sure I have my favorite but I would be so presumptuous to assume that my favorite should be everybody elses too.

max patch
02-10-2009, 15:43
if someone doesn't agree with you then they are WRONG.

When it comes to factual matters about the trail, Jack knows more than anyone on this site. Lotta people jealous about that.

yappy
02-10-2009, 15:52
i remember at RR springs all the talk along the trail was about the HUGE and AMAZING C. rolls that were supposed to be there. There were signs all over the place. i was about GIDDY to get there and try one... well, the ended up being the frozen kind..lol. i naver saw so many faces drop in dismay. BUT, with a cup of coffee they sure tasted good. I forget the owners' name but they watched like a hawk to see if you were gonna be disappointed. I , for 1, was going to be the person to hurt their feeling. I ate a ton of those things. it sure was a pretty spot they had going.

Lone Wolf
02-10-2009, 16:01
When it comes to factual matters about the trail, Jack knows more than anyone on this site.

now that's a crock 'o poo :D

neighbor dave
02-10-2009, 16:07
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOK1lXBZifM :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

MOWGLI
02-10-2009, 16:18
When it comes to factual matters about the trail, Jack knows more than anyone on this site. Lotta people jealous about that.

More than this guy? :p
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gI1xg4yXya4

A-Train
02-10-2009, 16:26

What a gem! It should be mandatory that that clip be permanently looped on the WB homepage :sun

ChinMusic
02-10-2009, 16:33
Is that from SoRuck?

MOWGLI
02-10-2009, 16:38
Is that from SoRuck?

No.

Lone Wolf
02-10-2009, 16:58
Is that from SoRuck?

no. Billville Winter Warmer

Jack Tarlin
02-10-2009, 17:41
This thread's gotten a little off the rails.

All I was saying is that it's pretty silly for folks to criticize places they haven't visited; it's even sillier to say that other places are "100% better!" when one hasn't visited either place yet.... it makes one wonder on what basis they're making the judgment.

Most of all, considering what's been going on there for the past year and more, it's a miracle Kincora was even open in 2009, and I wonder if all the posters on this thread are aware of this.

For people to whine about the hostel not being up to their standards, or not too spiffy, well this seems more than a little petty. Oddly enough, in recent months, Bob had some other things on his mind than dusting the bookcases.

And as for the folks who stayed at a $4 buck a night place (and it's been four bucks since 1997!!) and were too high-falootin' to dry some dishes or mop a floor.....well, I'll stand by what I said. Stay in real towns, then, and stay at motels if you want maid service or need someone to clean up your spills or wipe your butt.

Kincora exists because of Bob and Pat and because a lot of folks realize what it takes to keep like this place going. People that don't want to be a part of keeping the place going, or who feel that they're so special that everything should be done for them for four bucks, well really and truly, these folks would, in all likelihood, be happier staying somewhere else.

ChinMusic
02-10-2009, 17:53
I have stayed at a grand total of ONE hostel on the AT and that was Kincora. I spent New Years Eve 08 at Bob's and enjoyed my stay. LW is correct that it is isolated (out of town) but it is less than a 1/4 off the trail.

I was fortunate to be able to talk to Bob one-on-one for quite awhile at the end of my hike. He's a great guy. I plan on returning to Kincora to help with some trail maintenance when time allows. There is no question in my mind that if I hit Dennis Cove Rd on a thru that I would take my left turn to Kincora.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b186/ChinMusicIHSS/Backpacking/AT/Kincora.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b186/ChinMusicIHSS/Backpacking/AT/Bob.jpg

DavidNH
02-10-2009, 17:57
Jack's saying that this thread has gone off the rails is an understatement!

Almost forgot what it was about in first place. Laural Fork Cabins was the topic. Some one had a bad experience there.

I won't comment on Kincora, it was full when I went through (and if it was full, that right there is an indication it must be a pretty good place) so I ended up at Laurel Fork. I loved this place. I had a private cabin for price of semi cabin, the soothing sound of a nearby stream, food and ben and jerrys in the fridge for just a tad extra. They also have laundry facilities on site.

One thing about Laural Fork.. smoking is prohibited in their all wood cabins. All you tobacco addicts (and that is quite a few of you) would not like that but for me that was wonderful. Everything was so clean and fresh.

David

PS why do the moderators delete some posts that are off topic (and site off topic as the reason) and not others?????

saimyoji
02-10-2009, 18:25
PS why do the moderators delete some posts that are off topic (and site off topic as the reason) and not others?????

I suspect that the mods get tired of hearing from crybabies too. :)

Tin Man
02-10-2009, 18:39
I have stayed at a grand total of ONE hostel on the AT and that was Kincora. I spent New Years Eve 08 at Bob's and enjoyed my stay. LW is correct that it is isolated (out of town) but it is less than a 1/4 off the trail.

I have stayed at exactly one hostel myself, not Kincora, but it doesn't matter where. It was easy, low cost and not much to it except the people running it - very cool and fun to talk to for a bit. But I stayed there for convenience, not for the amenities or to build my hike around.

It sounds like most hostels are low cost conveniences run by fine folks. And it sounds like hikers are lucky they are even in business. But for me, it is just one night when you need to do town chores. Most of the time hikers are hiking and sleeping outdoors. I, for one, do not understand what all the hullabaloo is about over one night here and there or this place versus that place. No big deal.

Jack Tarlin
02-10-2009, 18:57
Tin Man gets it. Helping out at a hostel is no big deal.

Which is why it's so astounding to hear this squawking from folks who pay their four dollars and then express outrage that the bathroom floor was wet or their pillows weren't fluffed up or whatever.

We're talking hiker hostels, folks, where you pay a few bucks and stay (and share space) with lots of other folks. It's not the Ritz, there's no maids working there, no concierge service, no pampering.

How anyone can go on-line and complain about the level of "service" at these places amazes me.

This thread is pretty much played out, but it's really pretty simple:

If one elsects to stay at a hiker hostel, and it doesn't come up to your standards, whatever they may be, then you can do three things:

1) Suck it up and deal with it. It's a hiker bunkhouse, not the Four Seasons.

2) Get off your ass and help out for a few minutes, thus helping out the
proprietors, as well as making for a nicer place for you and your
companions.

3) Still unsatisfied? Then ask for your money back and hitch to a motel.

It's not that complicated.

MOWGLI
02-10-2009, 19:02
Kanga gets it too.

Jack Tarlin
02-10-2009, 19:19
That the best you can do, Mowgli? :D

Seems after last night, when you had to edit your own posts in a hurry and then thank sweet baby Jesus that the whole thread disappeared before you embarrassed yourself even further, seems you'd be done with this sort of nonsense.

Guess not.

Or are you trying to get THIS thread killed, too? Is that all you're here for?

neighbor dave
02-10-2009, 19:30
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showpost.php?p=775769&postcount=150

Tin Man
02-10-2009, 19:32
Um, thanks Jack, but there's nothing to get. People will whine about anything. They even whine about the whiners. :rolleyes:

go figure :)

Jack Tarlin
02-10-2009, 19:32
Justr for the record, Mowgli, before you manage to destroy this thread, too:

Kanga, who you seem to think "gets it", called my comments here insanely negative and elitist.

A quick examination of my posts reveals that in regards to the hostels under discussion, I had nothing to say one way or the other about Laurel Creek, and nothing but positive things to say about Kincora and Braemar.

So I'm not sure what sort if "insane negativism" Mowgli is referring to. Like most of Mowgli's complaints about me, they're not based on much except personal animosity.

I did indeed speak poorly of folks who are too effing lazy to dry a plate or fold a dish towel when they're overnighting at a trail hostel, and I think even less of folks who think these sorts of complaints are worth airing here, but if Mowgli wishes to defend this sort of behavior, or if he wants to publicly say that these mewling whiners "get it" when it comes to hostels, well that's his right.

But I think some folks here might disagree with him.

saimyoji
02-10-2009, 19:44
Um, thanks Jack, but there's nothing to get. People will whine about anything. They even whine about the whiners. :rolleyes:

go figure :)

i don't think jack read this post. just so he doesn't miss it.

and for the record...

damn you Tinman....

Jack Tarlin
02-10-2009, 19:49
And all you've been doing lately, Saim, is to whine about me, like a few others I could mention.

Nothing better to do, eh?

saimyoji
02-10-2009, 20:17
And all you've been doing lately, Saim, is to whine about me, like a few others I could mention.

Nothing better to do, eh?

quote my whining. i call em like i see em. you're too easy jack. i do respect your knowledge and dedication, though you get too worked up on these forums. :cool:

Jack Tarlin
02-10-2009, 20:32
Yeah, Saim, you're right.

Considering the year Bob Peoples just had, I do indeed get "worked up" when some thoughtless high-maintenance ass-clown criticizes his committment to housekeeping, and when other folks, who've been around the Trail community for years and should ostensibly know better, seem to think that this kind of grousing is appropriate or defensible.

Because it isn't.

The only thing worse than not pitching in to help out when a place needs help is to bewail the fact that a really popular place is "crowded" when you get there.

Oddly, enough, there's a direct connection with how popular a place is and how many people you might encounter when you arrive there. Funny thing: Popular and highly regarded places attract more people.

Believe it or not, some folks find this a difficult concept to understand..

dmax
02-10-2009, 20:33
Well, because of you , I probably won't stay there. Sorry Bob.
You keep saying stuff like you won't pick up a towel? What, are you going to throw down a towel and expect me to pick it up after you? Not a chance!!! I would pick up my own without being asked or expected to do so. Its the right thing to do. My mom taught me that. Always pick up after yourself.
You make the comment about the people complaining that it was to crowded...etc. and that none of us have ever stayed there. Hmmm No I didn't stay, but did hike there and then turn around and spent a great night in the woods. And yes I did pick up after myself in the woods, too. You don't have to worry Jack. You won't have to wash my dishes. I can do my own. Mom taught me that too!
I've been to good hostels with bad management. I've been to bad hostels with good people running it. To each their own. But for you to tell me what I should do or shouldn't do is wrong. So go ahead Jack abd keep on Whining. Its your blood pressure, not mine. I could really care less. Just don't tell me how to live my life. You don't know me. You just need to worry about yours. I'm beginning to feel sorry for you.

And, Bob your a great guy and I appreciate what you do for all hikers. Maybe I can catch you in the off season.

Jack Tarlin
02-10-2009, 20:38
There is no off-season there, dmax. Bob's never closes.

I hope you get to meet him, too.

Rockhound
02-10-2009, 20:41
So anyway, I stayed at the Laurel Fork hostel in 2007. Beautiful setting, nice owners and reasonably priced. I'll probably stay there again but I heard somewhere that there are a couple of other hostels in that same area I might check out first.

dmax
02-10-2009, 20:42
I have met him if you had read my posts. You seem to only read what you want to and skip over the rest. Thats your choice, you can.
You hike so I figured you know what off season is. None thru hiker season.

MOWGLI
02-10-2009, 20:44
Guess I'm not authorized to make a "gets it" list. ;)

Jack Tarlin
02-10-2009, 20:52
After your gutterbred incohent ranting just yesterday, I wonder that you're authorized for anything. :rolleyes:

neighbor dave
02-10-2009, 21:03
press "play" :rolleyes::welcome:D

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/worldonthemove/reports/the-cuckoo-chorus/

MOWGLI
02-10-2009, 21:06
dmax gets it.

Jack Tarlin
02-10-2009, 21:10
Yeah, at least he doesn't curse people out from the distance of a thousand miles and the safety of a cute pseudonym; he doesn't feel the need to edit his own posts out of horrified embarrassment, nor does he come here and make a horse's fundament out of himself.

Yup, compared to you, Mowgli, dmax absolutely gets it.

Thanx for pointing out the difference.

But quick question, Mowgli......you have anything substantive to add to this thread or are you just here to talk about me again?

Your act is old.

Bearpaw
02-10-2009, 21:10
:-? insert a "beating the dead horse" emoticon :-?

http://www.appalachiantrailservices.com/pics/smilies/beatdeadhorse5.gif Done...

Alligator
02-10-2009, 21:37
Bearpaw had the correct sentiment, but to be clear I closed it.