PDA

View Full Version : Water filters

slow
02-04-2009, 01:50
Never used a filter in 30yr down here.I drink from lakes and such but from swamps just boil.So how do you treat swamp water?And if you use a filter what one?

fiddlehead
02-04-2009, 02:19
Not sure about swamp water in Florida.
I drank right out of a stagnant pond in the desert in AZ 2 months ago.
If you are hardened to the local water, you probably won't have a problem.

If in doubt, i use chlorine but didn't bother on that last trip as the water was pretty clear and a bit of a secret spot. (Locals will often respect a water source, it's the newbies and tourists who tend to wash their clothes in there)

I hate filtering. takes forever, filters are expensive, and then they clog. (manufacturers say things like: " only filter clear water" Yeah right, why do you think i bought this thing.)

Anyway, you'll get lots of different opinions on here

Boiling's good though

slow
02-04-2009, 03:03
What rate of chlorine per oz due you use?

fiddlehead
02-04-2009, 06:41
Depends on a few things. If i think the water is really bad, 2-3 drops per liter and wait 20 minutes (and THAT wait time depends on how cold the water is, if the water is cold, wait longer, if it is warm, like it probably is in Florida, 15 minutes may be enough)

But, i have to go back a few years to remember when i used more than one.
But, i think the medical experts will say 2-3 drops per liter, i'm just telling you what i do.

I remember when my brother was a school teacher in Brazil and they took a class trip up the Amazon river. They dipped water right out of the muddy river, put it in a 55 gallon drum and used a plastic coca cola cap full of bleach for the whole thing and waited about an hour. When i heard that, that's when i started treating my water that way.

But 98% of the time, i just drink it. (i've learned to look for good water and haven't gotten sick on water in 15 years now) My stomach is pretty hard though. I've lived in Asia for the past 7 years and sometimes drink the water here too. (especially in the jungle)

By the way, i use a Visene bottle to dispense my chlorine. I think the opaque bottle is best and you want something that is easy to control how many drops you are dispensing.
Just make sure you color over the Visine logo so it doesn't get used by mistake in anyone's eyes. (i never used the stuff for my eyes and just buy it for the bottle so, i don't have that problem.)

A lot of people really fret over the water and go to a lot of trouble to pump it, dump chemicals into it, carry too much and still get sick. go figure.

JaxHiker
02-04-2009, 10:03
I just pump my Hiker Pro. Doesn't weigh too much and does a good job. Never had any trouble with it.

slow
02-04-2009, 19:15
Depends on a few things. If i think the water is really bad, 2-3 drops per liter and wait 20 minutes (and THAT wait time depends on how cold the water is, if the water is cold, wait longer, if it is warm, like it probably is in Florida, 15 minutes may be enough)

But, i think the medical experts will say 2-3 drops per liter, i'm just telling you what i do.

I remember when my brother was a school teacher in Brazil and they took a class trip up the Amazon river. They dipped water right out of the muddy river, put it in a 55 gallon drum and used a plastic coca cola cap full of bleach for the whole thing and waited about an hour. When i heard that, that's when i started treating my water that way.

But 98% of the time, i just drink it. (i've learned to look for good water and haven't gotten sick on water in 15 years now) My stomach is pretty hard though. I've lived in Asia for the past 7 years and sometimes drink the water here too. (especially in the jungle)

By the way, i use a Visene bottle to dispense my chlorine. I think the opaque bottle is best and you want something that is easy to control how many drops you are dispensing.
Just make sure you color over the Visine logo so it doesn't get used by mistake in anyone's eyes. (i never used the stuff for my eyes and just buy it for the bottle so, i don't have that problem.)

A lot of people really fret over the water and go to a lot of trouble to pump it, dump chemicals into it, carry too much and still get sick. go figure.

Thank's for the input.:)Btw been down the Amazon and the guts in that water from market ships well....you have a great point.:)

slow
02-04-2009, 19:26
I just pump my Hiker Pro. Doesn't weigh too much and does a good job. Never had any trouble with it.

Do you feel it's worth the 11oz?

take-a-knee
02-04-2009, 19:33

Very poor advice, you need a chlorine RESIDUAL of 5ppm. That means after whatever chlorine you've added has bonded to whatever organic matter is in the water. So, the only way you KNOW if you have 5ppm is if you use a test kit (think swimming pool). Anyone who doesn't understand this doesn't need to be giving water purification advice.

fiddlehead
02-04-2009, 19:43
Just saying what I do.
I've done 5 thru hikes using those theories and haven't gotten sick on any of them.

Sort of like Vitamin I. Doctors and Pharmacists will tell you to take 4, but one works for me. I've never taken 4 at a time. Same with lots of stuff.

JaxHiker
02-04-2009, 19:50
Do you feel it's worth the 11oz?
Yes. The peace of mind doesn't bother me. I may drink unfiltered 1000 times and not get sick. It's that one time that does you in. I want to increase my odds of never experiencing that one time.

slow
02-04-2009, 20:15
Very poor advice, you need a chlorine RESIDUAL of 5ppm. That means after whatever chlorine you've added has bonded to whatever organic matter is in the water. So, the only way you KNOW if you have 5ppm is if you use a test kit (think swimming pool). Anyone who doesn't understand this doesn't need to be giving water purification advice.

I just dont want to get sick.

slow
02-04-2009, 20:26
Yes. The peace of mind doesn't bother me. I may drink unfiltered 1000 times and not get sick. It's that one time that does you in. I want to increase my odds of never experiencing that one time.

I understand your point,also we may have the most swamp water?:eek:

YoungMoose
02-04-2009, 20:30
i wouldnt use a filter. i dont think they are good. i think they break easily. i would filter your water through a strainer or something to get dirt and stuff out then use iodine.

slow
02-04-2009, 20:32
Just saying what I do.
I've done 5 thru hikes using those theories and haven't gotten sick on any of them.

Sort of like Vitamin I. Doctors and Pharmacists will tell you to take 4, but one works for me. I've never taken 4 at a time. Same with lots of stuff.

I like the way you think.:D

Gray Blazer
02-04-2009, 20:57
The water on the FT is not always the best and in a few areas it tastes pretty bad.

I use a Katahdin Pro in the mountains. Haven't really thought about treating FL water.

CrumbSnatcher
02-04-2009, 21:45
KATAHDYN/PUR HIKER PRO best filter on the market. well worth the one pound. always reliable and pumps fast. there are spots on the trail i don't filter,but always nice to have when needed. no nasty smell or taste either. it works as well today as ever.

GeneralLee10
02-04-2009, 22:03
I got this one and it is cheep and good look at it.http://www.generalecology.com/category/portable/product/first_need_xl_portable_water_purifier-new . No one ever talks about this filter why I don't know but would be nice to here what you guys and gals have to say.

BumpJumper
02-20-2009, 18:20
Slow...when are we gona hike buddy?:-?

gregugadawg
02-20-2009, 21:03
Very poor advice, you need a chlorine RESIDUAL of 5ppm. That means after whatever chlorine you've added has bonded to whatever organic matter is in the water. So, the only way you KNOW if you have 5ppm is if you use a test kit (think swimming pool). Anyone who doesn't understand this doesn't need to be giving water purification advice. Actually depending on what you are trying to kill 5ppm isn't going to kill everything. I am not exactly what is in water on the AT or other trails. But cryptosporidium requires a ppm of 20 for 765 minutes to be killed. So you can't just go around saying 5ppm and you are good because thats not true either. If you want to be 100 percent safe as far as killing things go then UV is ultimately the quickest and most effective. And I know this because I do work in the swimming pool industry.