PDA

View Full Version : Body bag for dead people

Jayboflavin04
02-04-2009, 08:58
I was reading a previous post! I plan on buying a top end down bag. I will have a self inflating pad, and a bivy. I want to find a body bag or somthing similar to store them in fully lofted and inflated. Somthing I can store underneath my bed. Any recommendations or thoughts.

Cuffs
02-04-2009, 09:00
The bags that you reference dont breathe very well. (they are made to keep odor and fluids inside) You will want good ventilation (a cloth bag) for storage.

MOWGLI
02-04-2009, 09:00
Overkill IMO. Pun intended.

hoz
02-04-2009, 09:01
Body bag doesn't breathe. Better to use a large cotton bag for storage.

JAK
02-04-2009, 09:11
Does a bag need to breath once it is dry and clean?

I would say yes, so that bugs can eat all your dead skin and stuff, but they might already have enough air in the bag to do that. Not sure. Interesting question though.

Jayboflavin04
02-04-2009, 09:18
I was kinda wondering bout the breathabilty issue. That was my main concern. Maybe I will have a friend of mine make me a nylon storage bivy with velcro on it. If there is interest maybe I can con her into making them for sale!

MOWGLI
02-04-2009, 09:21
I was kinda wondering bout the breathabilty issue. That was my main concern. Maybe I will have a friend of mine make me a nylon storage bivy with velcro on it. If there is interest maybe I can con her into making them for sale!

Why not store it in the bag (unstuffed) that the manufacturer provides you? Simple. Saves time & money. Also, I would not leave your mattress inflated. But that's me.

JAK
02-04-2009, 09:22
Why not just make a bivy bag?
Then you can use it hiking sometimes, and use it for storage also.

JAK
02-04-2009, 09:23
Why not store it in the bag (unstuffed) that the manufacturer provides you? Simple. Saves time & money. Also, I would not leave your mattress inflated. But that's me.Better.

JAK
02-04-2009, 09:24
I thought the whole dead skin eating bugs angle was interesting though. Anyone?

Jayboflavin04
02-04-2009, 09:48
I am getting ready to move into a smaller place. I am looking for alternatives to using the closet. Under the bed seems like the first obvious choice.

SteveJ
02-04-2009, 09:49
I thought the whole dead skin eating bugs angle was interesting though. Anyone?

Thanks for the visual, buddy! I hadn't put the idea of dust mites and my fancy down quilt and sleeping bag together before now......

Jayboflavin04
02-04-2009, 09:56
Wow I dont think I got so many replies so quick!!!!!:banana You people are morbid! LOL.......The bugs crawl in ......the bugs crawl out!!!!

Ramble~On
02-04-2009, 09:59
Does a bag need to breath once it is dry and clean?

I would say yes, so that bugs can eat all your dead skin and stuff, but they might already have enough air in the bag to do that. Not sure. Interesting question though.

When I was in the Marine Corps I'd use a body bag as a bivy whenever I could. We always had to turn them back in to the Corpsmen in the morning - they said they "needed" them. :eek: I always tried to get one anyway - great piece of gear.
When it's really cold and all you have is a poncho liner, a body bag does the job. I'd much rather be in one for warmth and comfort than for the actual design. Make do with what's on hand.

As for storing sleeping bags...Hang them in a closet, store them in the bags they came with or make/buy your own.
There are those plastic storage containers that fit under beds that'd probably work.

JAK
02-04-2009, 10:08
Well I wasn't getting into the body bag angle so much, out of respect.

I just think we wash alot of clothing and stuff that we could just air out, and let the bugs do most of the work. Most clothing and stuff just need some rain now and then. I don't wash my wool sweaters. I just rotate them. My wife goes a little nuts though. Wants to wash everything every time I wear it. Says it smells, even if its the third layer out. Crazy. Between the two of us we are quite sane however. ;)

Hoop
02-04-2009, 10:17
Make a bag from two old sheets cut to size and sewn together, even duct taped or stapled; leave a length at the open end to make a closing flap.

MOWGLI
02-04-2009, 10:26
My wife goes a little nuts though. Wants to wash everything every time I wear it. Says it smells...

Maybe you should listen to her. :D

superman
02-04-2009, 10:59
Quality body bags have the maggots included.:)

When I was in the Marine Corps I'd use a body bag as a bivy whenever I could. We always had to turn them back in to the Corpsmen in the morning - they said they "needed" them. :eek: I always tried to get one anyway - great piece of gear.
When it's really cold and all you have is a poncho liner, a body bag is the bomb.

Our guys didn't get bagged until they got back to a base camp. All we had were ponchos. You could put it under you or over you but that's what they slopped you off in. Most of us did the best we could to not get bagged.
MOWGLI's post number 7 said it.

Scrapes
02-04-2009, 11:06
I can probably get you a used one.

JAK
02-04-2009, 11:11
Why does the sleeping bag need to be bagged at all?

MOWGLI
02-04-2009, 11:15
Why does the sleeping bag need to be bagged at all?

Keep it clean. Dust. Cats. Mice. Ladybugs. Etc...

Dances with Mice
02-04-2009, 11:56
Keep it clean. Dust. Cats. Mice. Ladybugs. Etc...Yeah, the danger is that if a mouse crawls into your sleeping bag you could get tagged with a silly trailname.

JAK
02-04-2009, 12:05
Speaking of soap, I learned something new on youtube today.

birch leaves
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mz6ToiWmOHQ

I suppose any leaf could be tried. Poison ivy might be a poor choice.

Slo-go'en
02-04-2009, 12:14
I store my sleeping bags loosely packed in one of those large plastic tubs. Self inflating pads are suppost to be stored inflated, but I don't bother with that.

RedRandy
02-04-2009, 12:33
FYI,
From http://www.thermarest.com/faqs.aspx
What is the best way to store my mattress when it is not being used?
Store your mattress unrolled and with the valve open. Because the mattress foam tends to “remember” the shape it holds most, your mattress will self-inflate faster if stored unrolled. Also, store your mattress dry. It will dry quickly with exposure to the air. If a mattress is left damp, mildew may damage the cover’s air-holding urethane. Many people store their pads under a bed or behind a door.

Wise Old Owl
02-04-2009, 12:55
I would not recommend putting a down bag under a bed, the dust, dead skin cells, the mites, the introduction of fleas, ticks, chiggers, and spiders. We use a couch down in the basement, everything laid out neat.

bulldog49
02-04-2009, 13:24
"Body bag for dead people" - as opposed to the body bag for live people? :D

taildragger
02-04-2009, 13:29
Why waste a good down bag on a dead body? Seems like a trash compactor bag would work best there

Jayboflavin04
02-04-2009, 13:45
LOL.....didnt even think about it obviously! I didnt want people to think I was posting about some new sleep system of sorts!

That is why I was thinking a body bag.....To keep all the nastys out bugs, dust ect. I always stored my sleeping pad unrolled with the valve open per the manufacturer.

daddytwosticks
02-04-2009, 17:04
If you have a cat and store your stuff unprotected under your bed, beware!

SGT Rock
02-04-2009, 20:22
Maybe what you want is a body bag cover. In the military we got these nylon bags that were to put the actual body bag in so it is easer to handle. I've used mine as a bivy before the Army got bivy sacks for the regular guy. I've still got mine somewhere - and it breathes about a good as any uncoated nylon will.

Jayboflavin04
02-04-2009, 21:38
You know since my taxes pay for this ****.....shouldnt it actually be next to free..........

SGT Rock
02-04-2009, 21:39
Well, if you die - then they give you one as a parting gift for playing.

superman
02-04-2009, 21:46
well, If You Die - Then They Give You One As A Parting Gift For Playing.

Lmao

Jayboflavin04
02-04-2009, 22:49
That is too much....

hikingshoes
02-04-2009, 23:21
i see this cat(Jayboflavin04) hasnt been in the service at all,or he wouldnt be talking like that!LAY ONE OF YOUR BUDDIES DOWN AND YOU'LL CHG.,CHARLES

Jayboflavin04
02-05-2009, 02:56
I posted this thread in all seriousness. I wanted to know if a body bag would be nice for storing a top end sleeping bag. After rocks serious repost about a body bag cover I looked online. This product is 30 bucks, i figured it would be cheaper. Hence my post about taxes. Are you gonna scold the other other posts on here for there humor also, or scold SGT rock for using a body bag cover for a bivy.
Thanx ROCK for the good post, I think that would suit my need and is what I am looking for.

Homer&Marje
02-05-2009, 08:37
I posted this thread in all seriousness. I wanted to know if a body bag would be nice for storing a top end sleeping bag. After rocks serious repost about a body bag cover I looked online. This product is 30 bucks, i figured it would be cheaper. Hence my post about taxes. Are you gonna scold the other other posts on here for there humor also, or scold SGT rock for using a body bag cover for a bivy.
Thanx ROCK for the good post, I think that would suit my need and is what I am looking for.

Just read the thread from start to finish. Don't think you meant any disrespect to service members in any way. I think a body bag might work, although the cotton bags that come with the sleeping bag keep it fully lofted. And if you have an old snowboard carrying bag it might be big enough for the sleeping bag and breathable. Thermarest can stand up vertically in the back of a closet without being in the way.

And I'll agree with another poster. Don't store any equipment on or under things your cat's have access too. They get curious you know:D

superman
02-05-2009, 16:41
I have a walk in eaves area with a row of hooks on the wall. I have all my sleeping bags hanging from those hooks in the big bags they came in. Four of them are different weight LL Bean down bags. They aren't new but they are all still in great condition. I have an assortment of thermarest sizes and they are leaning against the same wall with there valves open. It's what MOWGLI discribed in post 7. I don't feel the need to reinvent the wheel. It's just a smple, easy and effective way to keep your gear good. There are other things that would be worth more of your attention than this issue. Body bags...I wouldn't be caught dead in one.:)

Jayboflavin04
02-05-2009, 19:13
Superman you pourin gas on hiking shoes fire!!!! I really hate to offend anyone!:)

superman
02-05-2009, 19:40
Superman you pourin gas on hiking shoes fire!!!! I really hate to offend anyone!:)

Not at all...are you?

mkmangold
02-05-2009, 20:56
Or a dry-cleaner's cloth bag. Cinches at the bottom. I bought one long ago when I thought I was helping to save the environment by not using the plastic bags.

Tractor
02-05-2009, 21:10
I just hang mine up in the closet over a fat rod hanger. If it were to get dusty then I haven't hiked enough lately.

George
02-05-2009, 21:11
my best sleeping bag holders are old lined curtains that form a giant bag holds 3-4 sleeping bags each, sometimes see curtains at the thrift store for cheep

YoungMoose
02-05-2009, 21:19
dont need it

Tractor
02-05-2009, 21:20
Now that I think of it, I hang my summer bag but have a couple of winter bags I roll up loose and put into big pillowcases and store wherever they might fit until needed...after they are dry and fairly clean....