PDA

View Full Version : Campmor bags

hootyhoo
02-04-2009, 09:54
First a disclaimer - I have been researching these as far as online will allow. Campmor is a little vague on some stuff. Could not find anything like a backpackergeartest review/description.
If your answer to the last question is no, PM me.

Questionaire:
Do the campmor down---
have a full zip
are there two drawcords - one for neck and one for face
are they rated fairly (degrees)
Have you used the 0 degree down bag? The price makes it sound too good to be true -- and mama always said 'if its too good to be true then it probly aint'.
Would you get this a Campmor or a Lightyear?
And lastly, if you went camping and woke up the morning with our pants down around your ankles and vaseline smeared on your bottom, would you tell anyone?

Thanks

papa john
02-04-2009, 10:23
They do have a full zip, but only 1 drawcord for both neck and face. I have the 20* bag and used it in my hammock as a quilt and was warm down to 11* (along with other gear) I think it is a well made bag and worth the cash. I can't use mine as a sleeping bag as it is a bit snug on me.

leeki pole
02-04-2009, 10:48
I've got a zero Campmor down....great bag. I'm a cold sleeper and I've had it out to 11 degrees and was still toasty. One drawcord but a comfortable fit for me, I'm 5' 10" and 150 pounds so the 6' 5" bag is roomy for me, and I can keep water below my feet and it doesn't freeze. Great bang for the buck.

hootyhoo
02-04-2009, 16:30
I appreciate the input. That is just such a good price. I really planned to go with synth on my next 0 degree - but that bag is priced just as low and the weight is better, for sure.

brooklynkayak
02-04-2009, 16:32
Most agree that they are not quite as warm as they claim. I'd add 10 degrees to the temp rating. They are pretty good quality, not the lightest down and they don't repel water, but you can't beat them for the price. I've slept in the 20 degree bag down to just below freezing and was warm.

I've heard the same about Lafuma, they seem to be on sale at a lot of sites.

rootball
02-04-2009, 17:45
Who could tell.
Hooty got grounded for getting his dog hurt and I had to come rollin' in to bail little bro out as usual.
I am the man looking for the Campmor bag and a few other items of cold gear. Then we are hittin some trails. I'll be stayin' with Hootyboy for a few weeks (or until mrs. hooty kicks me to the curb). Sorry about the post confusion. It was me that started this thread. I have been told to log in under my own name to save little bro from being disgraced.
I left out some critical info
I am 5' 10" 200 lbs and was fixin to order that bag - I like a little squirmin around room - should I get the 6 footer or the 6 foot sixer model. I won't need it this weekend - but I am gonna order it and use it next week at Shining Rock.

Greb
02-04-2009, 20:21
I am 6'1" 230 and I fit nicely in my 20 degree Campmor. I sleep warm and have been toasty at 20 with minimal clothes (just lightweight synthetic long underwear)

Lilred
02-04-2009, 20:34
Most agree that they are not quite as warm as they claim. I'd add 10 degrees to the temp rating. They are pretty good quality, not the lightest down and they don't repel water, but you can't beat them for the price. I've slept in the 20 degree bag down to just below freezing and was warm.

I've heard the same about Lafuma, they seem to be on sale at a lot of sites.

I don't know who you are referring to when you say 'most agree....', because the threads on this forum about Campmor bags have people saying the opposite. This is only the second post I've read since I started coming to Whiteblaze where the temp rating on a Campmor bag has been questioned. I've stayed in shelters way below freezing and that bag has always kept me warm.

Mags
02-05-2009, 03:35
A former girlfriend bought this bag on my advice. She is very petite, thin and a self described cold sleeper.

She made the point of thanking me for the bag idea. She said it was the first time in a while she stayed warm at night. And this was in Utah in November! (Quite cold as it is high desert).

Make of that what you will.

buz
02-05-2009, 09:53
Size wise, I think the bags are on the larger size, so if you are 6' or under, the regular is fine. We have the long and it's pretty big for me, 6' exactly. Regarding temp, I would say they are a little optimistic, but that is a personal sleep thing. We have maybe 10-15 in our scout troop of the 20 degree ones, and they are no problem a warm 30 degree bag. At 20 you maybe just need some layers you would normally be carrying, plus a hat. Below 20, not so good, IMO. But I think these are one of the best value bags you can buy, when comparing cost vs. real temp usage. Not lile Lafuma or other way optimistically rated bags. They are close to the rating, and a great value.

hootyhoo
02-05-2009, 10:13
We, Scotty and me, just ordered 6' one - don't worry, he handed me the cash before I got my credit card out.
It should be here in time for the temps to be up in the mid 30's--hahahaha.
But he and maybe me are heading to Shining Rock if I can get off work for next week. We will be parking at the lot facing Sams Knob - elevation should bring some colder temps and that bag will come in real handyon the Art Loeb trail.
I almost got one myself and might still - that is a good deal, price wise. It would make it easier if they had free shipping.
Now we're off to the Army surplus to get some m65 liners.
later hooty thanks for the help.

Wags
02-05-2009, 14:43
dude you 2 shoud've each order a different bag and done the compare/contrast thing while out!

Dartman
02-05-2009, 17:03
I left on 2/16 last year from Springer and used Campmor's 0 degree. It has full zipper, 2 drawstrings, and kept me quite warm in Carter Gap Shelter on 2/27 where another hiker's thermometer put the overnight temp at 14 degrees. Overall I was quite satisfied with it, and think it's a great value for the price.

brooklynkayak
02-08-2009, 10:47
I don't know who you are referring to when you say 'most agree..

I mean that the 0 degree bag is good down to 10 degrees according to most reviews. 10 degrees is pretty good. Most rarely camp below 10 degrees. And it packs much smaller and lighter than comparable synthetic bags.

I've stayed in shelters way below freezing and that bag has always kept me warm.

As it should, 10 degrees Fahrenheit is well below freezing.
Mine is a 20 degree bag. I'm an average sleeper and I did start to get cold somewhere below freezing. I was fine after putting fleece and socks on.

drastic_quench
02-08-2009, 15:13
Ah, the purple bag. My works for me just fine at freezing. I haven't gone colder than that with the bag yet, though. When it's nasty cold like that I like to stuff a Nalgene in a wool sock and fill it with boiling water. Toss that in the foot of the bag, and I won't feel the cold for a long time.

jigsaw
02-09-2009, 10:08
ive used one for 5 years with no problems.now my wife uses it as i bought a western mountaineering megalite at twice the price of the campmor.