PDA

View Full Version : Looking for "testrun" advice

Aladoor
02-04-2009, 10:15
Hi, there!
I hope this is the right forum for this!
I am planning on attempting a Through-Hike in 2010. Never done anything like this before, always wanted to do it, never had time/energy, you know the drill. But, finally it is getting serious (work is informed, financial planning is on the way, etc.).
Still, there is a final concern left. As mentioned I have never done anything similar before. Yes, I have hiked for 2 or 3 days or been dayhiking. I am working out and are in ok-shape. But, I already had three surgeries on my right knee and I am currently undergoing treatment on said knee. The docs say I should be ok but they cannot tell for sure.
So, I decided that I want to do a "testrun" this May/June for about two weeks on the trail. I want to get a climpse of what I have to expect next year, get a feeling for amount of food I am gonna need, test equipment and most of all test my knee. I am aware that 2 weeks will not prepare me for a through-hike but it is a start. And I figure, if my knee will not be able to handle 2 weeks than 6 months do not make much sense.

Anyways, what I am looking for is advice on where to go for those 2 weeks this year. I am looking for a place that is easily accesible (I am flying in from Germany), gives you a hint of what the trail is like and leads to a point where I can leave the trail after about 2 weeks and get to an airport without too much trouble.
My first intention was to fly to Atlanta and start from there as this is what I am planning to do next year. I got the Through-Hikers Guide from 2008 as a planning tool and some other information as well.

I am really looking forward to going on the trail and hope some of You can help me with my questions!
Thank You in advance for Your answers!

So long, Aladoor

MOWGLI
02-04-2009, 10:22
Shenandoah National Park in Virginia. Fly into and out of Washington, DC. A hair over 100 miles. Relatively easy walking. Easy on the knee. Pretty country.

Good luck.

garlic08
02-04-2009, 11:11
Second that, probably anywhere in Virginia, with access from Washington DC. There's even public transportation to Harper's Ferry, WV.

Pedaling Fool
02-04-2009, 11:38
First the knee issue. I had a bad knee (still do) that a doctor said would need surgery. Someone told me about weightlifting (when I was about your age) and my knee problem is very manageable know. I know your knee may have a problem that exercise will not remedy, but it's worth a try. I now run ~30-40 miles a week with very little problems.

Second, practice hikes are very important for ensuring a successful thru-hike. I would recommend you do as many hikes as possible in Germany.

Lastly, deciding which section of the AT to hike in preparation for a thru depends on your level of ability. The south is hilly; all day will be spent going up then down, then up, then down... with some rocky terrain thrown in. The mid-Atlantic is not as hilly and some areas are just flat, but mostly rolling hills. As for Shenandoah National Park (SNP) you get a little taste of everything, rolling hills, rocks (in the central part) and some decent climbs -- however, all-in-all it's probably the easiest major section of the AT. The north is just tough, very rocky and steep with some mud thrown in and some very bad bug-action during your timeframe.

If you don't have much experience I also recommend SNP, but if you feel confident in your knee and want a little bit of a challenge I recommend starting at Springer Mountain.

Just to reiterate, weightlifting, various exercises, practice hikes in Germany for success in 2010.

Skyline
02-04-2009, 11:54
One more vote for SNP—especially in May/June. It's difficult enough, but not too difficult, for a shakedown hike. If you stay out of the restaurants and lodges you can have a mostly-woods experience. By mid-to-late May, you will start meeting the first big wave of '09 thru-hikers, and you can learn a lot from them. The AT is in relatively high mountains in SNP, compared to the stretch just north of the Park to Harpers Ferry or beyond.

If you fly into Dulles or one of the other DC area airports, you can rent a vehicle to drive out to SNP. Park near the AT, and combine that with a shuttle from there to where you want to start hiking. Hike back to your vehicle, then drive back to the same airport to return the rental car.

Or, just do a shuttle from the airport to SNP and back. Dulles would be the least expensive option because it's a little closer to SNP than the other airports, but do check out the car rental combined with in-the-Park shuttle first.

Mountain & Valley Shuttle Service can help you with specific logistics to suit your needs—including parking, hike planning, possible resupplies, etc. Online at www.mvshuttle.com (http://www.mvshuttle.com) or by phone at 540-743-1355 (toll-free within North America at 1-877-789-3210). The only AT shuttler to have attained both Virginia DMV "for hire" Operating Authority, and to be an authorized concessioner of Shenandoah National Park.

Blissful
02-04-2009, 14:28
Ditto on Shenandoah. Fairly easy grades, etc. And if you need to rest, the lodges and waysides (food, supplies, etc) will be open then.

But before you do lots of planning for a thru hike, I'd make sure the knees are ready and can take it (you have done physical therapy and strengthening and hking in your country as others have suggested). The AT is very tough, esp on the knees.

oh, and welcome to White Blaze!~

SGT Rock
02-04-2009, 20:11
I lilke the Pinhoti for a test run. But that is just me.

Kanati
02-04-2009, 23:24
Ditto on Shenandoah. Fairly easy grades, etc. And if you need to rest, the lodges and waysides (food, supplies, etc) will be open then.

But before you do lots of planning for a thru hike, I'd make sure the knees are ready and can take it (you have done physical therapy and strengthening and hking in your country as others have suggested). The AT is very tough, esp on the knees.

oh, and welcome to White Blaze!~

SNP is great, but do you remember going down the north side of Marys mountain or Marys whatever? Boy, those rocks worked me over!

grumpy.old.1
02-05-2009, 00:53
i understand about your knee problems. i have had acl reconstruction surgery once and preparing to have a second. now and then i have some pain during long and steep downhill sections but nothing that will keep me from hiking. just keep up with your rehab and strengthen your hamstrings. strong hamstrings will reduce the stress on your knee.

have fun on your trip

Aladoor
02-05-2009, 02:04
Thank You for all the kind advice, so far!
Looks like I have a heavy favourite in SNP there :) !

Just to get a little clearer on my knee issue...
I am working out regularly and especially for the legs. A combination of endurance and strengthening exercises and I am usually doing fine. I take rather long walks (without pack) and ride a bike in between whenever time/weather allows.
As I do not know the English terms I will try to explain what is wrong with my knee (it is only the right one). All the ligaments are fine but that protective layer surrounding the bones in order to protect them from grinding on each other whenever you move is at some points more or less gone (started with a soccer injury some twelve years ago). They had to lift the disc (?) in order to make room between the bones and reduce the grinding. All in all I had three surgeries so far (last one in 2004). Currently I am undergoing a treatment where some liquid is injected into the knee to rebuild a little of that protective layer. For the time being it really improved the condition of the knee which had not been good since last years trip to the Canadian Rockies. Ironically, I was in arguably the best shape of my life on that trip, while the year before (same destination and tours) I was in rather poor shape and experienced no problems at all.
Unfortunately this kind of injury can hardly be made up for by building up muscle. It helps of course, but only to a certain point.

I guess I am going to start planning that trip to Washington and SNP within the next couple of days and just hope for the best!

Greetings from a very tired, Aladoor

Skyline
02-05-2009, 10:47
Thank You for all the kind advice, so far!
Looks like I have a heavy favourite in SNP there :) !

I guess I am going to start planning that trip to Washington and SNP within the next couple of days and just hope for the best!

Greetings from a very tired, Aladoor

Nice thing about SNP is that if you do have knee issues, getting out is a lot easier than much of the rest of the AT because of the existence of the lodges/restaurants/campgrounds/pay phones, and the shuttle service is close enough to help sooner rather than later.

Jeff
02-05-2009, 16:44
A thru hike could really punish knees, ankles and hips. I had a great time section hiking for a month, took a few weeks off and did another long section. The trail will always be there.

I see many thru hikers who are so beat up toward the end....it doesn't look enjoyable.

YoungMoose
02-05-2009, 16:47
I think either in southern maine or in Shenandoah national park.