PDA

View Full Version : Vapor Trail sizing

gravityman
05-04-2004, 14:33
Hey,
Well, I got a vapor trail a few weeks go that was the size that they said I should get. The load lifters were just a little lower than I liked, but seemed okay. Normally I do take a medium (in gregory and osprey), and that is what I got... Unforunately they didn't have a size large, so I didn't get a chance to try that size on...

So my wife sees the pack, and she MUST have one too :) So we go, and she tries on a small (her normal size, and what GG says should fit her) but it is MUCH too small. She tries on a medium, and it fits perfect, but we had to trade out the hipbelt for a small.

So, now I'm thinking, I gotta try on a large. My wife is always a small (in osprey), and her torso is a few inches shorter than mine (She is 18 inches and I am 20 or so...)

So, has anyone else noticed that the fitting sizes of the Vapor Trail is not quite accurate, and you need to go up a size from what they suggest?

Thanks,

Gravity Man

Footslogger
05-04-2004, 15:13
Gravity ...I bought the Vapor Trail during my thru last year, and yes, I did notice that the fit was different than my Gregory. My torso length is right at 18" so I'm at the high end of Medium and the low end of Large. But I tried on the large and it was definitely too big for me.

Given the nature of the Gregory suspension and hipbelt (I know you know what I mean), it took a little getting used to. But man, once I got my pack weight down to around 26 pounds I was definitely a happy camper in that Vapor Trail.

The pack still has a lot of life left in it but, being the gearhead I am, I just bought the new pack from ULA - - the Fusion. Same dimensions as the Vapor Trail and weighs the same but has larger mesh exterior pockets and you use your sleeping mat as part of the packsheet. Makes more room inside the pack for other stuff.

Good luck with the Vapor Trail. It's a dynamite little pack in my opinion. I think my wife is going to carry that one now and I'll carry the Fusion.

'Slogger

Peep
05-04-2004, 15:14
Gravityman - I recently purchased a GG Vapor Trail pack on EBay in a size small. I was worried about the fit because I'm a 14 1/2 torso and wanted an XS (thats what I have in a Gregory). When I got the pack it fit me perfectly -great pack. Sooooo...yes, I would agree that the Vapor Trails run small...go for a large for you. Peep

Singletrack
05-04-2004, 17:36
Gravityman, I work at an Outfitters part time and we sell GG. I also own the Vapor Trail. My torso size is 20 inches. My VT is a medium and fits well. GG short torso packs are measured 14 to 18. The regular (medium) measures 18 to 22 inches. Therefore, both you and your wife can wear the medium. The hip belt on the VT can be swapped out.

charlottebronte
05-05-2004, 16:26
See my post under "I'm Out of Ideas" for women's vs. men's interpretation of torso length. My experience with Vapor Trail is that I was put in a size that was too long, but the fitters kept thinking it was too short.

I think Gregory's site has a nice graphic about how to fit a pack.