PDA

View Full Version : Etowah II question

Live the Journey
02-04-2009, 15:44
I just got my etowah II stove and I really like it...It's much easier then I had anticipated and I'm getting more and more proficient with it. However, one of the things that attracted me to alcohol stoves was the ability to blow it out when you're done and pouring off the excess fuel to use later. Since the etowah comes with cotton in the economizer burner (which is what I've been using) the only way to get the unused fuel is to squeeze out the cotton...which is messier and more trouble then I'd hoped.

I guess long story short, what happens if I take the cotton out entirely? I understand it's purpose is to slow the burn a bit and act almost as a wick, but will it make the fuel burn off much quicker without it? The object is to save fuel, so I'm wondering if it's 6 and one half dozen to the other.

skinewmexico
02-04-2009, 16:59
The Etowah II boiled a lot faster when used without the economizer burner according to BPL, if that's any help. I think the economizer burner is to simmer.

Sidewinder
02-04-2009, 17:51
I guess long story short, what happens if I take the cotton out entirely? I understand it's purpose is to slow the burn a bit and act almost as a wick, but will it make the fuel burn off much quicker without it? The object is to save fuel, so I'm wondering if it's 6 and one half dozen to the other.

Take it out and give it a try then you'll know

BigFoot2002
02-04-2009, 19:38
I also like the Etowah. I just bought my third one. The stove is most economical when you measure the amount of alcohol you need. The amount you put in the outer burner is determined by the amount of water you are going to boil. The amount you put in the inner burner is determined by the length of time you want to simmer. Anyone can do it with a little practice. And don't forget the wind screen. A foil oven liner, cut to size, works great for me.