PDA

View Full Version : FT Keystone Airpark to Lake Butler

chiefduffy
02-04-2009, 17:10
I'm looking for information on the new FT section that starts across SR 100 from Keystone Airpark. I remember hearing the trail now runs on an old railroad bed. I need to know where the trailheads are, mileage, etc. I remember a discussion of this section on the FT-L, but I can't seem to access it anymore. Thanks in advance!

Gray Blazer
02-04-2009, 20:48
I think it follows Highway 100 on the old railroad track.

I'm wondering if anyone can give some info on FT north out of Lake Butler. I"ve hiked about 6 miles south of Olustee and it was mostly dirt roads connected with a few nice woods trails/paths.

rcli4
02-04-2009, 21:56
I hiked from Lake Butler to Olustee a coupla years ago. Mostly fresh cut timerland at that time. Not much of a hike. about 1/2 mile calf high water.

Clyde

chiefduffy
02-07-2009, 15:32
Looks like I'm gonna hike that section north of Lake Butler tomorrow, 2/8. I'll let ya know what I see, Gray. That calf-deep stuff dont sound so good...

chiefduffy
02-09-2009, 07:40
Not bad area, some deep pine staw that was a delight to hike thru. Lots of puddles, but easy to get around. Ran into two areas south of Swift Creek where blazing was bad, was able to recover on the first one, near Box Rd. The second one I had to bail out on FR30A and rejoin the trail on CR231 at Swift Creek. I only hiked up to Barton Gap rd. Tracked another hiker the whole way with size 13+ boots and a dog, thought it might be you and your pooch. My wife said it was Hiker Ron. I never did catch up with him.

Gray Blazer
02-09-2009, 08:29
Wasn't me. Do you have off on Prez's Day? Blaze and I are thinking of doing a few miles on Monday the 16th. No hard itinerary yet.

chiefduffy
02-09-2009, 10:58
Far as I know, I'm off - a hike sounds great. Want to try the rails to trails thing between Lake Butler - Keystone? I'm open to suggestion......

chiefduffy
02-09-2009, 11:12
Actually, what I suggested should be spit into two days -but 1/2 of it would make a good dayhike.

chuck and tigger
02-10-2009, 13:39
Hey Chief Duffy, Chuck Norris and Old Drum are thru-hiking the FT NOBO and are a little north of where you're talking about hiking. Crossed Hwy 301 today. Check out our FT journal at www.trailjournals.com/chucknorrisandtigger (http://www.trailjournals.com/chucknorrisandtigger). Sign our guestbook there if you'd like to have his contact info. Enjoy the FT! Parts of it are amazingly beautiful, as you know! Tigger

chiefduffy
02-11-2009, 04:19
Thanks Tigger! I have been following your journal off and on, and I followed your journal last year. I keep hoping I'll run into Chuck on the trail. You folks turned me on to the the FT in '06 before I started the AT - thanks again, and God bless.