PDA

View Full Version : Winter day trip Grayson Highlands?

Cast Away
02-04-2009, 18:30
Would it be wise for a somewhat newbie to be doing a day hike in this area next week. I will be alone and have no emergency gear like any form of shelter or bag. Just plan to hike that day and start heading back home 4.5 hours away around dark. Will be spending the night somewhere, just don't know where yet.

Just concerned because of the possible weather and the unknowns about the area.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Lone Wolf
02-04-2009, 18:42
there's about 10 inches of snow up there right now. probably more

Tennessee Viking
02-04-2009, 20:50
Would it be wise for a somewhat newbie to be doing a day hike in this area next week. I will be alone and have no emergency gear like any form of shelter or bag. Just plan to hike that day and start heading back home 4.5 hours away around dark. Will be spending the night somewhere, just don't know where yet.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.Probably not adviseable. The roads are more than likely iced. Here is the weather report from Friends of Graysons.

http://weather.graysonfriends.org/

bigcranky
02-04-2009, 21:27
It's worth calling the park and asking about the road conditions. Generally speaking, Rt 58 is plowed, as is the road up to Massey Gap (the main trailhead in the park.) They'll have all day tomorrow and Friday to clear the roads, and it'll be very warm over the weekend (highs in the 50s.)

(276) 579-7092

max patch
02-04-2009, 21:51
Probably not adviseable. The roads are more than likely iced. Here is the weather report from Friends of Graysons.

http://weather.graysonfriends.org/

Thats a great site; which I just bookmarked.

23 below wind chill at 3:00 this morning!

Thanks for posting.

littlelaurel59
02-04-2009, 22:33

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Rangers are your friends:) Talk to them about conditions before you commit to going, and let them know your plans if you go.

Cast Away
02-05-2009, 00:06
Okay guys thanks for the advice. I am dying to get out there. Maybe I will wait till spring to take this trip.

Tennessee Viking
02-05-2009, 00:08
And watch out for those man eating ponies.

JJJ
02-05-2009, 01:34
I'd say not wise given those parameters.
Be over-prepared in that area this time of year.
Next week may be a lot better wether-wise and still no picnic.
But I'd say it would be a memorable experience.
Probably some waist-high drifts and a lot of bare area too.
Elk Garden to Buzzard Rock and back could be fun or Massie Gap to Mt Rogers
Be extra careful, allow plenty of time.

Hmmm. Now you've got me thinking about it.
jjj

gghiker
02-20-2009, 20:40
Wish I had seen this earlier, I just happened to be in the park last Friday. No snow to be seen, believe it or not, but the wind was ungodly fierce. I was the only soul for miles around all day, except for the horses and the ranger (and BTW, that guy was really nice. I stopped in the station to inquire about the weather and the park road closings.)

I got some video from one of the boulder piles, and the wind roaring. I swear I could have flown if I had the guts to jump :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHRHvFuzoBk