PDA

View Full Version : Mt. Rogers in May

GaryPaddler
05-05-2004, 03:54
Hi:
A group of us in Louisiana will be spending the week of May 16-23 basecamping in Grayson Highlands S.P. and doing some dayhiking and possibly some overnights. We'd appreciate it if we could get some good dayhike suggestions and also a few overnight options. If it's not asking too much, could you include the trail names and the mileages?

Thanks much,

Gary

Lone Wolf
05-05-2004, 06:40
Stop in Damascus and go to Mt. Rogers Outfitters and buy the Trails Illustrated map of the Mt. Rogers area. It will show you every trail in Grayson and the surrounding high country.

Brushy Sage
05-05-2004, 08:58
Getting the maps in Damascus is a very good idea. Also, it really doesn't matter which way you go from your basecamp, because there is some challenge and lots of beauty in all directions.

SGT Rock
05-05-2004, 09:07
Gary,

What part of Louisiana are you in? I have my trail guides and maps for that section that come from the ATC I would be willing to loan you. They have the trails on the map and some trail information in the guide that will allow you to do some planning ahead of time.

Lone Wolf
05-05-2004, 09:09
Or I'll send you my map of the area. Drop it off or send it back.

GaryPaddler
05-05-2004, 17:02
Thanks for all the info. I have the map y'all are referring to, just a little confused on some of the mileages. I've seen some pix on the net and it sure looks like we're going to be there at a good time of year.

Gary