PDA

View Full Version : ipod movies?

beerandpizza
02-04-2009, 19:56
so what movies are u taking with u on the ipod? so far i just have dumb and dumber and indiana jones. i only have room for a few more...its hard to figure out the good "re-watchers"..

JF2CBR
02-04-2009, 20:30
Super Troopers! I can watch it over and over.

beerandpizza
02-04-2009, 21:09
Super Troopers! I can watch it over and over.

I have seriously considered that one!!

snowhoe
02-04-2009, 21:15
I am taking the new movie by Robert Redford "A walk in the woods" Seems like it would be the thing to watch.

YoungMoose
02-04-2009, 21:29
Saving private Ryan. Better yet dont take a ipod. You can live without it.

beerandpizza
02-04-2009, 21:37
I am taking the new movie by Robert Redford "A walk in the woods" Seems like it would be the thing to watch.

i didn't think that was out just yet?

max patch
02-04-2009, 21:42
Take Deliverance.

You're in GA. It was filmed in GA.

Those unidentified noises at night will get your imagination going....

beerandpizza
02-04-2009, 21:49
Take Deliverance.

You're in GA. It was filmed in GA.

Those unidentified noises at night will get your imagination going....

i shall leave my toyt spandex at home!!

KG4FAM
02-04-2009, 22:04
So what is your system for refreshing your movie collection or are you going to rewatch the same ones for six months?

How about power, movies drain a lot so are you just going to wait until the next town stop to recharge?

beerandpizza
02-04-2009, 22:13
So what is your system for refreshing your movie collection or are you going to rewatch the same ones for six months?

How about power, movies drain a lot so are you just going to wait until the next town stop to recharge?

no refreshing...i am more of a movie guy than a music guy..thats why i am putting more thought into what movies i put on there. even at home, i'll pop a movie in and just have it going in the background vs. music.

as for recharging. i plan on taking one of those AA back up ipod chargers. the steripen also runs off the AA's

KG4FAM
02-04-2009, 22:28
Lots of good stuff made by these folks:
Mel Brooks
Quentin Tarantino
Kevin Smith

WritinginCT
02-04-2009, 22:30
Lord of the Rings - all three movies-director's cut versions :D
Rob Roy
Last of the Mohicans
Love Actually
and if you like Shakespeare- - the Emma Thompson/Kenneth Branagh version of "Much Ado About Nothing" - so SO funny.

(I wish an ipod could hold all the seasons of Stargate SG-1 and Stargate Atlantis or Battlestar Galactica. And yes I am a card carrying dork, why do you ask :cool: ) lol

beerandpizza
02-04-2009, 22:35
Lord of the Rings - all three movies-director's cut versions :D
Rob Roy
Last of the Mohicans
Love Actually
and if you like Shakespeare- - the Emma Thompson/Kenneth Branagh version of "Much Ado About Nothing" - so SO funny.

(I wish an ipod could hold all the seasons of Stargate SG-1 and Stargate Atlantis or Battlestar Galactica. And yes I am a card carrying dork, why do you ask :cool: ) lol

i have watched the fire out of all the lord of the rings. mebbe i should throw those on there...

KG4FAM
02-04-2009, 22:45
i have watched the fire out of all the lord of the rings. mebbe i should throw those on there...If you are going to put Return of the King on there you are going to need a lot more than a mintyboost to keep that thing going. Something like this (http://www.optimabatteries.com/home.php) should do.

beerandpizza
02-04-2009, 22:50
If you are going to put Return of the King on there you are going to need a lot more than a mintyboost to keep that thing going. Something like this (http://www.optimabatteries.com/home.php) should do.
i'll just pull the yellow top out of the jeep and make the wife carry it;)

floyd242
02-04-2009, 23:53
http://www.dickproenneke.com/

Ramble~On
02-05-2009, 00:30
Saving private Ryan. Better yet dont take a ipod. You can live without it.

:eek: What ? A fourteen year old saying you can live without an electronic device ? :cool: I've heard it all.

I "could" live without my iPod but...no thanks.
80 gigs holds a ton of crap - photos, movies, thousands of songs...
Scan and sync data files and photographs can become maildrop info, addresses, phone numbers and whatever else you can imagine.

Jorel
02-05-2009, 04:10
I have Last of the Mohicans, every episode of the Sopranos, alll WS plays on audio, Forest Gump, Lebowski, Chariots of Fire, Seabiscuit, Local Hero, and Royal Tenenbaums.

JF2CBR
02-05-2009, 05:52
I'm not sure I could live without my ipod for more than a week or so, I need music to function properly!

Bumshandler
02-05-2009, 10:01
Shawshank Redemption. Best movie ever. But what if you didn't take it at all? What's the worst that could happen?

YoungMoose
02-05-2009, 10:08
:eek: What ? A fourteen year old saying you can live without an electronic device ? :cool: I've heard it all.

I "could" live without my iPod but...no thanks.
80 gigs holds a ton of crap - photos, movies, thousands of songs...
Scan and sync data files and photographs can become maildrop info, addresses, phone numbers and whatever else you can imagine.
surprisinly i dont like to listen to music. also i dont have a phone or ipod. So you have heard everything lol.

Ramble~On
02-05-2009, 10:44
The day I've heard it all would be a sad day:D.

I don't always take music, phones etc. to each their own.

Going to the woods is often an escape from that stuff.
On longer hikes though I like a "luxury" item or two and the iPod fits the bill for me..audiobooks, podcasts, music, movies and photographs and it keeps me from carying a lot of other stuff if I sync it ahead of time - maps, mileages, addresses etc.
Music is one thing I wouldn't want to go without on a longer hike and although I have smaller and lighter MP3 players...none of them hold a hat to the storage capacity of the iPod.

HeartFire
02-05-2009, 11:01
The Princess Bride! I can watch that over and over

Ramble~On
02-05-2009, 11:05
Yup.

Monty Python doesn't get old either

beerandpizza
02-05-2009, 12:12
The Princess Bride! I can watch that over and over

Inconceivable!

Sly
02-05-2009, 12:35
I can see a iPod for music while I'm hiking but can't think of a time where I'd be watching a movie I've seen before on the trail.

Lilred
02-05-2009, 13:08
I'm with Sly, why would you want to spend two hours watching a movie you've already seen?? Too many interesting things to see and too many chores to do in town. Keeps me busy. I guess I'm just old cause I don't get it.

Nicksaari
02-05-2009, 18:16
donnie darko.

ive got audio books on my ipod, the movie plays out in your head as you listen. and you get into it more.
ive also got episodes of "this american life", "prairie home companion", and AThiking, all off free podcast. NPR rules!

i know that some of you think we're crazy, bringing such technological non sense onto the trail, but to be honest, its lighter than carrying a few books and a radio into camp to keep us entertained in those last fleeting moments before we hit the sack.

nothing beats cowboy television, good beer, and even better company, though!

YoungMoose
02-05-2009, 18:20
I agree with ramble. The woods are a escape from that stuff

beerandpizza
02-05-2009, 20:23

i just know that I am not going to be "entertained" by being in the woods for 6 months. will need to supplement

YoungMoose
02-05-2009, 21:38
i just know that I am not going to be "entertained" by being in the woods for 6 months. will need to supplementI think that if you stay with a group of thru hikers you would have a supplement that doesnt need electronics. also theres a huge risk of it getting broken if your forging a river and fall.

YoungMoose
02-05-2009, 21:38
also someone can be a scum bag and steal it on you

Sly
02-05-2009, 21:50

Yeah but that not entirely of what he said. :rolleyes:

After a month or so of singing one or two songs in your head, it great to hear a number of your favorite tunes as your climbing a mountain or hiking a ridge. Even a tiny mps3 player holds 500 songs.

If someone happens to steal your player, you're not paying attention or picking your friends very well.

Desert Reprobate
02-05-2009, 22:05
I even put a couple of Sousa Marches on mine to get the feet moving.

JF2CBR
02-05-2009, 22:32
Sometimes, if I'm running out of steam on an accent, I'll throw on some fast paced music to get me moving. I also really enjoy (sometimes) a tune or two when taking breaks on the trail, at overlooks or what have you. I love music and often look to it for motivation and/or inspiration.

To each his own!

Sly
02-05-2009, 22:35
I love music and often look to it for motivation and/or inspiration.

To each his own!

Yup, if you love music and you love hiking, they're a good combination, if only for an hour or two every few days.

beerandpizza
02-05-2009, 22:53
its not like im gonna be on the thing 24/7. heck this is the first ipod i ever had..just got it for xmas

D'Artagnan
02-06-2009, 16:17
"Secretary" :D

Shank
02-06-2009, 16:48
Im a big comedy watcher "Pineapple Express", "Joe Dirt", and all the austin powers movies in there. Also seasons of Family Guy never get old for me

Ramble~On
02-06-2009, 18:50
I couldn't do without music on a longer hike.
The iPod weighs more than other MP3 players yeah but it also has 80 gigs and that's huge. For the extra weight I can watch movies, tv shows, view photos...I'm wondering how hard it would be to scan and sync maps and books in photo form...I also wonder what kind of resolution there'd be.
:rolleyes: Hmmm, I'm funemployed and don't plan to leave until late March - guess I ought to spend some quality time scanning and syncing.
It'd be pretty cool to have Appalachian Pages, The Thru-Hiker's Handbook, The Data Book and the entire map series synced into my iPod...that'd save some weight too.:D

iPod movies...oh yeah this thread is about movies - sorry!

The movies are already in there so where I go, they go.
Early in the year when the days are short and the temps make the inside of the sleeping bag the preferred place to be...a movie is a nice thing to have. Cold Mountain, Into the Wild, Last of the Mohicans etc etc etc
Not to mention music videos and podcasts.

Sly
02-06-2009, 19:29
All I'm saying about movies on the trail is they need your attention more than listening to music which you can do while you hike, read, set up camp, cook. Once you're done doing those, it's usually time for bed.

Ramble~On
02-07-2009, 15:47
Movies drain the batteries and they do it in big gulps...dead battery means no music..

Movies are a nice idea to have on the trail but I haven't been able to make it through an entire movie without needing to recharge.
I agree that there's plenty of other things to be doing rather than watching a movie and the iPod to me is primarily a source of music.

Funkmeister
02-07-2009, 16:20
In no particular order, here are outdoor movies worthy of considering:

Never Cry Wolf
Into the Wild
2001: A Space Odyssey (hey, the first third is outdoors at least)
Lawrence of Arabia (oldie but goodie, from about 1948)
Deliverance (Who knew Burt Reynolds could actually act?)
Runaway Train (Great movie, often overlooked)
Pale Rider (or many other Clint Eastwood spagetti westerns)
Treasure of the Sierra Madre (another classic oldie but goodie)
Out of Africa (yea, a bit saccarine, but I like the visuals, though could be lost on 2" screen)
Jaws (the first one, not the lame sequels)
The Deep (Can Jackie Bisset wear a t-shirt or what?)
Porky's

I threw the last one in because you said Dumb and Dumber, so this one's in the same vein.

Someday I'll have to get an iPod. And a DVD player.

catfishrivers
02-07-2009, 18:08
I have been refraining from showing my family Into the Wild prior to my departure lol