PDA

View Full Version : Time to burn

Greb
02-04-2009, 20:33
So I have some time I need to burn or lose for work. I usually do some summer trip with our church high school youth but not this summer so I am figured I should just get away by myself. 2008 was a tough year and 2009 is not lookinng much better.

It has been a good 20 years since I was on the AT but I think it is time to go back. I am looking for a nice 5-6 day stretch about 10-12 miles a day. I live in St Louis MO and for reference I think Springer is about 9.5 hours from here. I can hit about anyplace on the AT in the southern/mid states with ease. It would most likely be late March or April since I need to burn the time before May1.

Thanks in advance for the suggestions.

johnnybgood
02-04-2009, 21:28
Well you've come to the right place for advice , and here's hoping 2009 IS better ! You say its been 20 + years since hiking the AT but you don't mention your preference on trail difficulty or what section of AT already seen. I'll assume you have gear and a tent or tarp for 4-5 nights where temps can be cool at nights. Shelters will be at a premium from the NC /VA border southbound. With all that said I'll still suggest stretch from north of Grayson Highlands south to Damascus as a great little hike with pretty easy hiking. Bring the camera 'cause there's gonna be some Kodiak moments with the ponies . Good Luck !... and post pictures.

Blissful
02-04-2009, 22:21
Come to Shenandoah, great place that time of year. No crowds, great views, good way to stretch your hiker legs. You can actually make it to Rockfish Gap from St Louis in one long 12 hr driving day. We've done it.

1Pint
02-04-2009, 22:27
Come to Shenandoah, great place that time of year. No crowds, great views, good way to stretch your hiker legs. You can actually make it to Rockfish Gap from St Louis in one long 12 hr driving day. We've done it.

If you head to Shenandoah in March, be prepared for ice storms or great weather. I've loaded about 5 pictures from my visit 2 years ago to the WB photo gallery. It was cold and I didn't see another person or even footprints for over 2 days. It was a great solo winter backpacking experience though.

Good luck with your decision!

Greb
02-05-2009, 20:15
Yeah have the gear and difficulty is not a huge issue. Thanks for the input so far.