PDA

View Full Version : Military Retirees

Chappy
05-05-2004, 07:03
Would like to hear what military retiree thru-hikers did about insurance while on the trail.

Blue Jay
05-05-2004, 07:34
Would like to hear what military retiree thru-hikers did about insurance while on the trail.

Now that the HMOs have taken control of the medical industry supplimentary and/or accident insurance is getting harder to obtain and much more expensive. I used to get accident insurance from Mutual of Omaha but they no longer offer it. Also my home state, New York appears to have regulated all of the others out of existence. Cobra is priced astronomical. I may go without this year. I also would like any information anyone has.

Happy
05-05-2004, 07:45
Both Fortis and Golden Rule insurance offer a short term 6 month health insurance policy as well as individual health insurance for the long term.
Do a web search for more info and to see if available in your area.

Blue Jay
05-05-2004, 07:49
Both Fortis and Golden Rule insurance offer a short term 6 month health insurance policy as well as individual health insurance for the long term.
Do a web search for more info and to see if available in your area.

Both of these have been regulated out of New York state due to not paying claims.

Happy
05-05-2004, 08:13
Both of these have been regulated out of New York state due to not paying claims.

For a long time fix for your health insurance go to the NY insurance commissioner web page and do a search for health companies licensed in your state, and look for a HSA (health savings account).

These are new as of January, 2004. They allow you to take out a high deductable health plan for real emergencies, serious hospitalization to try and keep the premiums lower (STILL EXEPENSIVE) and allocate additional money into a savings account that is tax deductable like a traditional IRA.

You are issued a checkbook for your savings account and can withdraw from your savings, tax free, by writing checks for medical, dental, prescription drugs and anything medically related.

If you don't use your savings on these expenses it is a supplemental retirement plan like the traditional IRA. You are right Blue Jay NY insurance laws are the most regulated, and asa a result most companies do not bother to do business there.

For the hikers only wanting the coverage for a 6 month thru hike check out Fortis or Golden Rule for the short term coverage or do a web search for "short term medical coverage" for a company available in your state.

Blue Jay
05-05-2004, 08:25
Thanks for the info Happy, next time you come through MA or VT let me know I'll get you some Majic.

SGT Rock
05-05-2004, 08:50
I assumed that there was a TRICARE program for retirees, I think it is TRICARE Prime or TRICARE for Life depending on your age. Anyway, since you must have a home region, I would simply register at your retirement location for your region. Then carry your TRICARE card with you, and any care you need could be done by same way as it would when needing care outside your region - usually just make a phone call to your region HQ, let them know what you need and where you are. They will give you a list of authorized care providors or simply authorize you to use whatever you need, then it would be the same as an insurance claim at that point.

Brushy Sage
05-05-2004, 08:51

I didn't do anything extra, as I am old enough for Medicare. That elegibility, along with tricare for life, was honored at some health clinics and not at others. So there was some cash outlay. You didn't mean life insurance, did you? I don't have any of that.

SGT Rock
05-05-2004, 08:58
Oh, I also know there used to be a system of suplements under CHAMPUS, but with TRICARE being the system now, I don't know if these suplements exist. It would also be an option to look into.

attroll
05-05-2004, 11:16
Chappy

I retired from the Military 5 years ago and had Tricare and was able to keep it. I had to pay the quarterly charges myself though. It was not a bad price. I still have that plan. I think the quarterly charge for a family is something like $115 every 4 months.

What I did was moved my wife to our retirement location since I was in the Navy on a ship and we bought our house a head of time. There was a military base near by so I had her enroll in Tricare there. Then when I retired I was given the option to keep it and pay the quarterly fees. This is something you might was to check into ahead of time.

kncats
05-05-2004, 11:50
When I retired we stayed with Tri-Care Prime as it meant we could stay with the same primary care provider. Tri-Care Prime will cover us, no matter where we are when we need medical care. I think AT Troll is right, the payment is $115 a quarter for the family. If we are out of our home area we need to call and get approval prior to routine care. There will probably also be additional forms and a higher co-pay. When we do our through hike I may look into a supplement plan.

pvtmorriscsa
05-05-2004, 11:56
Howdy All,

I am not a retiree. Having said that I called my insurance agent the other day, and got a quote for emergency medical insurance. A six month policy is going to run me 300-400 depending on what options I choose. I would suggest calling you insurance agent. They might not have a policy you would like, but you might get information that will lead you in the right direction.

Chappy
05-05-2004, 20:33
I assumed that there was a TRICARE program for retirees, I think it is TRICARE Prime or TRICARE for Life depending on your age. Anyway, since you must have a home region, I would simply register at your retirement location for your region. Then carry your TRICARE card with you, and any care you need could be done by same way as it would when needing care outside your region - usually just make a phone call to your region HQ, let them know what you need and where you are. They will give you a list of authorized care providors or simply authorize you to use whatever you need, then it would be the same as an insurance claim at that point.

I plan to enroll in Tricare when I retire. I just wasn't sure about it's use outside the region I enroll in. Sounds like they're "just a phone call away." Since I won't have a cell phone that means I have to call from town! :D
Thanks guys.

Chappy
05-05-2004, 20:35
I didn't do anything extra, as I am old enough for Medicare. That elegibility, along with tricare for life, was honored at some health clinics and not at others. So there was some cash outlay. You didn't mean life insurance, did you? I don't have any of that.

Brushy Sage, I hope my wife doesn't have to put in a claim for my life insurance when I make my thru hike! :)

attroll
05-06-2004, 04:03
Chappy

You might want to get ahold on Tricare and see if you can enroll in it after you retire. You might need to already be enrolled in it before you retire. You better check aread of time. Don't put looking into things dealing with your retirement off to the last minute.

Sarge
05-06-2004, 05:22
As some others have said also, I just kept my TRICARE Prime. I pay the quarterly fee of $115 for my whole family, which isn't too bad of a deal. I remember you had to elect to keep the TRICARE dental program within 3 months of retirement or lose some of the benefits from it, but I don't remember if you had to do the same thing with the medical.

SGT Rock
05-06-2004, 06:58
As I remember the TRICARE briefing on this, you can opt not to take TRICARE at retirement, but if you decide to go back onto TRICARE after you get out, there is a "buy in" that ain't cheap. As I remember it, the best option is to take TRICARE at retirememnt, then if you get another insurance plan through an employer after retirement drop it. Don't decide not to take it at retirement, then change your mind later or you could end up paying a lot more.

B Thrash
05-10-2004, 20:43
Keep your TRICARE PRIME when you retire. I have not been turned down anywhere when using it. When I used the insurance all was needed was Retired ID Card and SSN.