PDA

View Full Version : Limited Budget, Best Hostels/Towns

sleeman13
02-04-2009, 21:04
I'm a northbound 2009 hiker. I have a limited budget ($3000). I have all my gear and don't intend on buying any at the Walasi-Yi center. I also am not a smoker and never intend on becoming one and don't drink (although this could change). I've read all the articles and quite a few threads discussing how to hike on a budget. I am perfectly okay with taking a zero day in the woods. My question is this: what are some hostels and towns you would recommend visiting? And how often would you recommend staying at hostels/motels?

All input and suggestions are welcome and appreciated.

Thanks.

stranger
02-04-2009, 21:26
Keep in mind that splitting motel rooms can be just as cheap or cheaper that staying at hostels.

A good example is Neels Gap - the hostel costs $17 and you are in a bunkroom, where you can walk 0.2 mile and stay at Blood Mtn Cabins with two other hikers for about the same cost, and you would have a small house to yourself, with a fireplace!

There are much more hiker facilities in the south than in the mid-atlantic and north, just due to numbers, so as you travel north you will find things become more expensive but also less frequent. The amount of hostels or busineses catering to hikers from Springer to Damascus is staggering!

Yahtzee
02-04-2009, 21:41
Dude, 3K at age 19 for a non-smoker, hardly drinker is just fine. I guess you might want to take it easy on the hostels early on, to save for rainy days (literally), injuries or down days later on, but that is plenty.

Just don't go crazy in one place or stay in one place too long, but you should be fine with that much.

Here's a sample of places I would stay if I were ever to hike again based on my slightly out of date experiences.
Hiawassee Holiday Inn (shared it'd be about 30-40)
NOC (back in the day it was 10, can't be too much more now)
Fontana Inn (can't remember but shared it was super cheap)
Standing Bear (never been, but a post-smokies re-supply is usually a must)
Hot Springs (split a hotel or stay at elmers)
Erwin (Uncle Johnny's or hotel near grocery store)
Kincora (great spot--you'll hear enough about it before you get there)
Damascus (the Place)
After Damascus, hostels get scarce.
Atkins--cheap hotel (split w/others)
Pearisurg-you can move in and out of here w/out a stay
Daleville/Cloverdale --a great spot (split a hotel room at one of many hotels, I take numerous days off here. Just a great spot to relax)
Montebello Rd -- Dutch Haus (luxurious hostel --first hostel in a while/good people)
Waynesboro YMCA --free (if still available)
You'll spend money in the shenandoah's one way or another.
Front Royal -- split a room or get in/get out.
Bears Den Hostel or Blackburn Center --both nice little places to stop
Harper's Ferry --hotel or campground far away.
Duncannon, Pa -- the Doyle. (no drinking if under 21)
Palmerton -- the jail (free, friendly and convenient)
Delaware Water Gap -- Church of the Mountain
Vernon, NJ --church
Kent, Ct -- whereever, stealth (expensive town, but a GREAT place to visit and hang out)
Upper Goose Pond (awesome spot--must stay)
Dalton (you'll find the friendly people there)
Inn at the Long Trail -(may not be for the non-drinker, but last i knew you could camp for free across the street--also a hostel in Rutland)
Glencliff --hostel name is completely slipping my mind but a great place to rest up and chill before the climbing.
Huts in Whites--work for stay
Gorham-cheap hotels
Andover -- two or three to choose from. All good.
Rangeley -- great town --hotel is expensive but hostels come and go so be sure to check it out.
Stratton --White Wolf Inn.
Caratunk --hostel near the trail
Monson --Shaws.

That's it. Probably more than you were looking for, but that is where I have/would stay if I were to head out again. Just be sure if you are sharing a room to know ahead of time that it is allowed by the hotel and be sure you and the others have worked out who is paying for what.

But 3K is fine.

Happy Hiking

weary
02-04-2009, 23:43
I'm a northbound 2009 hiker. I have a limited budget ($3000). I have all my gear and don't intend on buying any at the Walasi-Yi center. I also am not a smoker and never intend on becoming one and don't drink (although this could change). I've read all the articles and quite a few threads discussing how to hike on a budget. I am perfectly okay with taking a zero day in the woods. My question is this: what are some hostels and towns you would recommend visiting? And how often would you recommend staying at hostels/motels?

Thanks.

My ADVICE is to just go out there and hike. Just try to get involved with a group that is into walking the whole trail as opposed to partying. I didn't run into any "bad" hostels in 1993. I suspect you won't now.

Some will advise against it, but I enjoyed Rusty's more than any other hostel I visited. It was relaxed, different, and fun.

The owner is a 65 plus single male, who has made a life out of catering to hikers. His facilIities include a wood heated hot tub (nude) I think Rusty's critics stress his eccentricities. All of which struck me as harmless for visiting adults, a category in which I place 19-year-olds mature enough to do a thru hikke on their own.

Weary

Rockhound
02-05-2009, 00:10
Non drinker, non smoker, you have all your gear. As long as you keep those group trips into town, to the movies, out to eat, slack packing shuttles etc...to a minimum, you should not have a problem. One might think that the group thing saves money, (sharing expenses and all) but the opposite tends to be the case more often. A $20 or $30 resupply stop can easily turn into a $150 stop with a zero thrown in when you get caught up in the group mentality.

Tennessee Viking
02-05-2009, 00:15

Thanks.Kincora is $4. A lot of hostels and lodgings will let you camp for a cheaper price, yet still let you use their facilities.

Pickleodeon
02-05-2009, 09:35
Wow, thanks Yahtzee. and everyone else. I'm pretty much the same situation, but female. 22, out of college ie, pretty poor, and used to living cheaply. nonsmoker, not a real big drinker- I'm of legal age. and looking for some nice, cheaper places to stay.

-sigh- I love everyone at Whiteblaze. :)

Jeff
02-05-2009, 10:51
When a church or hostel offers overnite accomodations and asks for donations, be sure to contribute. These places cost money to run. If the donations come up short, hikers in future years suffer because these places will most certainly be lost to the hiking community.

Yahtzee
02-05-2009, 10:57
And being from Manchester Ctr, Jeff, you know that hikers shouldn't crap on the floor of the hostel provided by the church. If I am not mistaken, that is one incident that led to the closing of the Zion hostel in Manchester Ctr.

BTW, where is the cheap place to stay in Manchester Ctr. these days? Last time thru I stayed at the Red Sled way out of town.

Lone Wolf
02-05-2009, 11:02
And being from Manchester Ctr, Jeff, you know that hikers shouldn't crap on the floor of the hostel provided by the church. If I am not mistaken, that is one incident that led to the closing of the Zion hostel in Manchester Ctr.

and cussing out the minister doesn't help either. hikers really suck sometimes

KG4FAM
02-05-2009, 11:12
When a church or hostel offers overnite accomodations and asks for donations, be sure to contribute. These places cost money to run. If the donations come up short, hikers in future years suffer because these places will most certainly be lost to the hiking community.

I would hope that churches do not think this way but sadly some do. There is plenty of stuff in the bible about not treating relationships as a business and looking at donations vs expenses is running things like a business, not a church.

On the other hand using The Place in Damascus as a standard, 4 bucks a night is a very good deal and if you are on a six month vacation you should be able to pay your own way.

Lone Wolf
02-05-2009, 11:16
On the other hand using The Place in Damascus as a standard, 4 bucks a night is a very good deal and if you are on a six month vacation you should be able to pay your own way.

that $4 could be used for beer, cigs, dope, etc. while in town. can't waste it on the church

Kanati
02-05-2009, 11:53

Thanks.

What you need to do before leaving on your hike is to read all you can on how to deal with the psychological side of long distance hiking. There will be days that you have to get out of the woods to clear your head so you can keep hiking. I got so bored in the lower 1/3 of VA last year after the green up that I came home for 10 days. Got my head cleared and went back refreshed.

Sly
02-05-2009, 12:00
The Virginia blues is a figment of the imagination. Bring a mp3 player with some rock 'n roll, you'll be fine.

A-Train
02-05-2009, 12:17
The Virginia blues is a figment of the imagination. Bring a mp3 player with some rock 'n roll, you'll be fine.

After California, I can't even take the "VA blues" seriously :)

Sly
02-05-2009, 12:26
After California, I can't even take the "VA blues" seriously :)

LOL... I know. CA = 12 AT states, GA > NH

mountain squid
02-05-2009, 13:05
I am perfectly okay with taking a zero day in the woods.

Thanks.Consider 'neroes' instead of zeroes. A nero would be a short mile day. You might stop short of town by a few miles. The next day get into town before noon (a nero), leaving the rest of the day for chores and rest and relaxation. Stay one night and then leave the next day.

Frequently, hikers push to get into town, sometimes late in the afternoon/night. This leaves no time for chores. They get lodging set-up and then have time for dinner with drinking involved sometimes. Since chores were not done, the next day is spent on chores. Next thing they know it is after noon and a hiker shows up that they haven't seen since GA, so they stay another night, etc, etc, etc...

You don't have to cut off town time, just limit it.

See you on the trail,
mt squid

Lone Wolf
02-05-2009, 13:08
Consider 'neroes' instead of zeroes. A nero would be a short mile day.

that used to be called slackpacking

neo
02-05-2009, 13:27

Thanks.

easily doable as long has you dont take zero days in town,i have read some hiker taking 50 to 60 days on a thru.that adds up.3000.00 easily
do it:cool:neo

mountain squid
02-05-2009, 13:55
that used to be called slackpackingIt might have been...I don't know.

I think slackpacking nowadays, is almost the opposite of a nero. Slackpacking is usually leaving your backpack at a hostel with the intent of hiking a big mile day or over 'difficult' terrain with only a daypack full of goodies. 'Slackers' usually end up at the hostel again and stay another night, spending more money, of course.

See you on the trail,
mt squid

Doxie
02-05-2009, 14:25
Our secret to saving money, but most importantly saving time because we had to be back to work after five months, was one that most people did not agree with, but it worked really well for us. We carried more food (about 10 days worth), and skipped several towns because we didn't need to resupply yet. That meant more weight than an ultra-lite person is willing to carry, and being dirtier because we didn't stop to shower and do laundry as often as others. We passed up several people and never met them because we passed them up while they were in town.
We also took about 7 zeros the whole time, opting for neros most of the time. We splurged for a hotel room once a month, other than that we either stayed at hostels or just got our chores done and then stealth camped a mile or two out of town. We went 21 days from Wind Gap to Bennington VT without doing laundry or having a hot shower because we were cheap and we didn't want to take the time to go too far off trail. We would just go in, have lunch, resupply, and get out. We were dirty and smelly, but we were just fine. And by that point nobody cares so much about hygeine. And we were happy spending more time in the woods than in town, because that's what we were there for.
Like I said, it's not for everybody, but if this style appeals to you and you're not super weight concious, I'd be happy to elaborate on where we stayed, and what towns we skipped altogether.

Blissful
02-05-2009, 15:56
I'm a northbound 2009 hiker. I have a limited budget ($3000). I have all my gear and don't intend on buying any at the Walasi-Yi center. I also am not a smoker and never intend on becoming one and don't drink (although this could change). All input and suggestions are welcome and appreciated.

Thanks.

It's illegal to drink at age 19 anyway. Why even contemplate it? Save money in fines, etc... :cool: :D

Anyway,
Your comment about Walasi-yi was rather strange. Hopefully you have still set aside money for gear issues which are bound to come up along the way. 2,000 plus miles on gear (and shoes) makes it wear out.

I do hope you have super hike. But you'll have to really watch your budget - it is a little slim for a five to six month hike. Esp if the weather turns nasty.

Pony
02-05-2009, 16:16
If you don't want to spend money at Walasi-yi, then do not have them strip your pack down for you. They do a good job and will make lots of suggestions for things you may want to change in your gear. I never felt pressured to buy, but still spent around $120 there. However, I did not buy anything that I did not need, and my pack fit 100 times better after I left. Besides if you let them spend an hour refitting your pack and take none of their suggestions, and don't spend any money, then you're kind of a jerk.

That being said, if you have gear issues, it is well worth the money.

A-Train
02-05-2009, 16:16
It's illegal to drink at age 19 anyway. Why even contemplate it? Save money in fines, etc... :cool: :D

Anyway,
Your comment about Walasi-yi was rather strange. Hopefully you have still set aside money for gear issues which are bound to come up along the way. 2,000 plus miles on gear (and shoes) makes it wear out.

I do hope you have super hike. But you'll have to really watch your budget - it is a little slim for a five to six month hike. Esp if the weather turns nasty.

Why strange? He said he doesn't plan to spend money at Mtxings. I spent 50 cents on a sponge when I went through there. Anyone who does their HW and tests their stuff before they hit Springer shouldn't need to drop hundreds of bucks there.

YoungMoose
02-05-2009, 16:21
thats more then enough if you dont overspend. just always be aware of how much money you have.

A-Train
02-05-2009, 16:24
[QUOTE=OSUBCS#1;772153]If you don't want to spend money at Walasi-yi, then do not have them strip your pack down for you. They do a good job and will make lots of suggestions for things you may want to change in your gear. I never felt pressured to buy, but still spent around $120 there. However, I did not buy anything that I did not need, and my pack fit 100 times better after I left. Besides if you let them spend an hour refitting your pack and take none of their suggestions, and don't spend any money, then you're kind of a jerk.

How does that make you a jerk? The guy at the time (Cornbread) offered to go through people's packs. He said my gear was perfectly adequate and that he didn't feel I needed to buy anything. He said "if you wanted to save a few pounds, you could buy pack x, but you're fine". If he told me to strongly switch something I guess I would have, but if the saleperson/expert doesn't recommend it, why feel bad about it?

Jeff
02-05-2009, 16:24
Why strange? He said he doesn't plan to spend money at Mtxings. I spent 50 cents on a sponge when I went through there. Anyone who does their HW and tests their stuff before they hit Springer shouldn't need to drop hundreds of bucks there.

Yes, but I started looking at some of that food for sale in their cooler and my wallet quickly got a bit lighter.:)

A-Train
02-05-2009, 16:26
Yes, but I started looking at some of that food for sale in their cooler and my wallet quickly got a bit lighter.:)

I just meant gear money. Food, is a totally different story :) I would resupply there next time and not bother sending a maildrop.

Pony
02-05-2009, 16:39
[quote=OSUBCS#1;772153]If you don't want to spend money at Walasi-yi, then do not have them strip your pack down for you. They do a good job and will make lots of suggestions for things you may want to change in your gear. I never felt pressured to buy, but still spent around $120 there. However, I did not buy anything that I did not need, and my pack fit 100 times better after I left. Besides if you let them spend an hour refitting your pack and take none of their suggestions, and don't spend any money, then you're kind of a jerk.

How does that make you a jerk? The guy at the time (Cornbread) offered to go through people's packs. He said my gear was perfectly adequate and that he didn't feel I needed to buy anything. He said "if you wanted to save a few pounds, you could buy pack x, but you're fine". If he told me to strongly switch something I guess I would have, but if the saleperson/expert doesn't recommend it, why feel bad about it?

He said your gear looked fine, that doesn't make you a jerk. It would make you a jerk if you asked for their help, and they helped you, but you didn't take any of their suggestions, and left without purchasing something.

I

A-Train
02-05-2009, 16:56
[quote=A-Train;772161]

He said your gear looked fine, that doesn't make you a jerk. It would make you a jerk if you asked for their help, and they helped you, but you didn't take any of their suggestions, and left without purchasing something.

I

Ok, i see what you're saying :)

ShelterLeopard
11-03-2009, 13:58

BTW, where is the cheap place to stay in Manchester Ctr. these days? Last time thru I stayed at the Red Sled way out of town.

How bout Jeff's Green Mountain House hostel in Manchester? I heard he's gonna stock up on Ben & Jerry's for the next hiker season. :banana