PDA

View Full Version : Thank you everyone on WB.

MintakaCat
02-04-2009, 21:12
After being away from backpacking for more than twenty years, I decided last October to take up the hobby once again. I searched high and low for my gear and found it way back in a closet, only to discover that all of it was either damaged or obsolete. With winter just around the corner, I also realized that very little of the gear would be appropriate for winter camping.

The sad fact was, if I was going to go backpacking this winter I needed to start all over with my gear. I searched the Internet for various sites that could help me and WhiteBlaze.net was one of them.

Now I realize that thru-hikers on the AT are going to need different gear than an occasional weekend backpacker like me, but the discussions on this site was extremely helpful to me in determining what gear would work best for me.

I feel that I know a lot of you personally because I have read so much on this web site. Will I ever do a thru-hike on the AT? Nope, not going to happen. Besides, I enjoy just being out in the wilderness, I’ve never been one to rack up the miles, that’s just not me. With that in mind my new collection of gear is a little on the heavy side, but it works very well for my needs.

What did I end up with? Here’s a brief list:

Shelter:
Kifaru ParaTipi with Small Stove (for winter, plus I love this setup)
MSR Hubba Hubba HP Tent & Footprint (for warmer weather)
Hennessy Hammock EXPEDITION ASYM (I have no clue why I bought this, but I will try it this summer)

Sleeping bag and pad:
Mountain Hardware Phantom 0 degree sleeping bag (I’m very impressed with this)
Exped DownMat 9 Sleeping Pad

Backpack: Osprey Atmos 65 Pack

Hiking boots: Asolo FSN 95 GTX Hiking Boots

Stove: MSR WindPro (used when I’m not using the ParaTipi and small wood stove)

Clothing:
Patagonia Capilene 3 Long Underwear (I feel this was another excellent purchase)
Columbia Sportswear Silver Ridge Long-Sleeve Shirt
Columbia Sportswear Silver Ridge Convertible Pants
REI Muir Woods Fleece Jacket
Marmot Tamarack Jacket

Camera:
Canon PowerShot A590IS
Mountainsmith Exposure II Camera Pouch

Misc:
Katadyn Micropur Water Purification Tablets (some people don’t like the taste, I’m ok with it)
Primus Alpine Easy Light Lantern (I know this is considered a luxury, but I like it)
Gerber Firecracker Ultra LED Flashlight
Black Diamond Trail Trekking Poles

Look for me on the AT soon, right now I’ve been doing shakedown hikes on the Chattooga River to try out this gear. If you do see me on the AT, please say hello, you guys are the greatest.

And once again, thanks for all your input. I know it was indirect, but it all was very helpful.

Egads
02-04-2009, 21:44
Welcome to WB. Very interesting shelter / stove in your gallery

Panzer1
02-04-2009, 21:45
Don't forget your map, compass and guide book. :)

Panzer

Phreak
02-04-2009, 21:47
How much does the stove weigh? Your stove/shelter setup looks toasty in the winter time. :)

Egads
02-04-2009, 22:04
How much does the stove weigh? Your stove/shelter setup looks toasty in the winter time. :)

stove & shelter 6lbs-9ozs http://www.kifaru.net/paratipi3.htm I'd carry that 10 miles to base camp

MintakaCat
02-04-2009, 22:04
The stove weighs just under 3.5 lbs and comes apart to fit into a bag about the size of a ream of paper. It does an excellent job of heating the tent plus you can cook on it too.

I took it on an overnight trip last weekend and the weekend before and I have been very impressed with how well the whole set up works.

Blissful
02-04-2009, 22:18
Have a great time no matter where you go or how far. That's what it's all about.

littlelaurel59
02-04-2009, 22:24
After being away from backpacking for more than twenty years, I decided last October to take up the hobby once again. I searched high and low for my gear and found it way back in a closet, only to discover that all of it was either damaged or obsolete. With winter just around the corner, I also realized that very little of the gear would be appropriate for winter camping.

The sad fact was, if I was going to go backpacking this winter I needed to start all over with my gear. I searched the Internet for various sites that could help me and WhiteBlaze.net was one of them.

Welcome back to the trail. I, too, had been away from backpacking for awhile, until my son "became of age." I, too, have benefitted from many of the gear discussions- from alky stoves, to Ray-Way quilts, to Hammocks and Tarptents. Whiteblaze is a great resource for ANY backpacker.

johnnybgood
02-05-2009, 21:37
Welcome to whiteBlaze , where answers to your questions can be found . My copier has never been busier and my computer is overrun with saved documents. There needs to be a disclaimer here stating that WhiteBlaze can be addicting.

YoungMoose
02-05-2009, 21:42
thats a good list. that sucks you need to buy all new gear. that stuff wasnt cheap. but good choices

johnnybgood
02-05-2009, 21:49
Forgot to mention also these guys are also additive.:banana:D:welcome

SteveJ
02-05-2009, 21:58
Welcome! :welcome

Paratipi looks like a really interesting setup!

[Once you try the hammock, you'll understand why you bought it!!] :D

Steve