PDA

View Full Version : Osprey, Gregory or ULA ?

Ramble~On
02-05-2009, 10:34
:-? I'm thinking about adopting a new member into my family and wanted to get some feedback first. I'm funemployed and am gonna hike the AT this year. I figure that I ought to treat myself to a new pack for the hike.
I've read oddles of posts and threads about these packs and want to know which of these you'd go with and why..Yeah, there's not alot out yet on the new Atmos but if you have experience with the Atmos of old - what do you think about the improvements they've made to it for 09.

If you had the choice which pack would you go with and why ?

Osprey Atmos (2009) , Gregory Z or ULA Catalyst

NCYankee
02-05-2009, 11:03
I am not a thruhiker nor do I plan to be, but I have a lot of packs, but for my section hikes (7+ days) I plan on taking my Gregory Z55. I like the fact that it is lighter than my larger packs (Baltoro and Terraplane) plus it rides more comfortable than my GoLite Infinity for longer miles. I have my base weight to right around 20lbs and try to keep my wet weight under 30 so this system works well for me. I can be comfortable in the Z all the way up to 35-40… never taken it over 40.

That being said, I have yet to try out a ULA pack or a Granite Gear pack. I have worn Ospreys for a long time (my day pack is a 15 year old Osprey Simplex) but the Atmos (previous model) just didn’t feel as comfortable on me as the Gregory. This of course is like shoes or anything else… Try them out for yourself.

Ramble~On
02-05-2009, 11:28
I have no hands on with the new model Atmos or the ULA.
I spent about an hour at REI playing with a Z but that doesn't say anything for real world experience with any of them.
It seems all three packs are well liked by those that use them. The Atmos seems to a be a love it or hate it type thing and it looks like they've responded to some of the issues with the updated model -while at the same time offering the pack in three colors that are sure to boost sales:rolleyes:
(What were they thinking?)
If I ordered a ULA would I get it in time for my March 21st start date ?
I have no experience with these packs and am interested in hearing what folks that do have to say about them.

restless
02-05-2009, 11:35
ULA hands down. Have owned one for five years-no problems. The best pack I have ever owned. If the damn thing would ever wear out, I'll buy another. This from a FORMER owner of Gregory and Osprey packs.

skinewmexico
02-05-2009, 11:40
I don't think I've ever seen a person dissatisfied with a ULA pack, and I know the owner prowls a lot of forums answering questions, and getting ideas. I like the idea of that kind of service. I just bought an Osprey Exos 58 myself, but haven't used it yet. Looks huge, starting to wish I had bought the 46, but that may change after I load it.

Alligator
02-05-2009, 11:41
If I ordered a ULA would I get it in time for my March 21st start date ?
...Email them and they will get back to you fairly quickly with an answer.

lunatic
02-05-2009, 13:18
I love the ULA packs I've used. Just bought the 2009 Conduit to use on my thru this year (leave in a few weeks). Previously used a friend's older model Conduit for sections and it was great. Not familiar with Catalyst but the Conduit is very durable, lightweight, and the outside pockets can hold a lot of stuff. Also, the hipbelts are comfy and the added pockets are decently sized. Pay close attention to their sizing charts, and if you're between sizes definitely go with the larger. Like to hear what others think about this, but my experience is they fit smaller than the chart says...but I'm not a measuring expert and neither is my wife (she measured my torso!). I think it took less than 2 weeks for mine to arrive after ordering early in January.

jimale
02-05-2009, 13:36
I bought a Gregory Z several years ago. I've taken it on several trips, and it is a great pack. My main problem with it was that it was just a bit too small for the stuff I carry. I have since bought a ULA Catalyst. It also is a great pack, is big enough for all my stuff, and has great customer service. I really liked both packs, but the Catalyst is the right size for me. I also love the hipbelt pockets, which the Z pack did not have (Although the newer, Z55 does).
By the way, I'm selling my Z pack - great condition, size medium, black color, for $90 if you're interested.

rainmaker
02-05-2009, 13:57
Does anybody have experience using the Catalyst for winter backpacking? I specifically would like to know if it will easily accomdate a WM Kodiak bag, tent, fleece and down clothing along with two bottles of fuel for my Simmerlite stove and a 2 liter pot for cooking. I usually go out for 3 or 4 days and carry enough food for at least one extra day in case of an emergency. I just got back from a three day trip in the Smokeys and felt my Osprey pack was maxed in terms of volume though the weight was around 34 pounds. BTW, the pack felt great. Thanks.

YoungMoose
02-05-2009, 14:34
Osprey Atmos (2009) i would take that one. i dont like the other brands.

Wags
02-05-2009, 14:42
i honestly doubt you'd be unhappy with any of those 3 packs, provided you got properly fitted

Yukon
02-05-2009, 16:24
Gregory for the win....

SmokeEater
02-05-2009, 16:46
Just bought the ULA Catalyst. If you order one it gets to you very quick. As soon as they got my money they stuck it in the mail. Cant wait to use it. The light weight of it and long distance hikers that have used it sold it for me.

YoungMoose
02-05-2009, 16:47
get osprey you can have them custom molded to your body

Dogwood
02-05-2009, 17:03
Depends on what your priorities R when choosing those 3 brands! If pack wt. is your highest priority when U compare those 3 brands with models w/ like volumes U R going to find the ULA pack to be the lightest. That's why ULA is called Ultra Light Adventures. If U want a full featured pack with a lot of bells and whistles an Osprey or Gregory pack would most likely be the choice. If U desire a pack with a beefy suspension or hipbelt O or G R better choices. If U tend to abuse, mishandle, or roughly treat your gear U may be better off with the heavier built O or G pack. Although, ULA certainly designs great thru-hiker packs(I have 4 for thru-hiking) they R more of a specialty pack for hikers who R quite clear what they want in a pack.

NCYankee
02-05-2009, 17:19
get osprey you can have them custom molded to your body

Hike with something long enough and it will automatically mold to your body... just like my finger has molded to my wedding band

NCYankee
02-05-2009, 17:21
You could always look at the Mystery Ranch packs.

My favorite pack is still my Dana Design Terraplane and this is Dana's new venture. Not light weight but they are the Cadillac of comfort when it comes to backpacks in my opinion.

I wish my Dana weighed half as much as it does :)

Matteroo
02-05-2009, 17:30
haven't used the others but must throw my hat in for the ULA Catalyst - used that on my thru and continue to use it for everything even a longer day hike - the way it fits me is so comfortable, which is why I opt to use it instead of much much smaller day packs that while lighter still are less comfortable. I can throw everything/anything into the catalyst and it feels great.

Dogwood
02-05-2009, 18:28
Hike with something long enough and it will automatically mold to your body... just like my finger has molded to my wedding band

LOL! Oh sh#t!

hootyhoo
02-05-2009, 19:15
This is my Ooh -pinion. I have had Atmos 50 and ULA Catalyst. Similar size for the 65 and Catalyst, different weights, and different carry. I can pack just as much in the Atmos 65 as I can in the Catalyst. I did not own the 65, but used it. I would have to say Catalyst because it carrries better (it fits me better) and the outer pockets are more accessible - but I think they are overpriced when compared to other packs. They are way to simple for 235.00 plus shipping. I would go with a ULA but I would look for a used one. As a matter of fact - ULA is like a car to me - I would never pay sticker price. Get a good used one.
As for the Osprey changes - have not seen a new one yet, but I have been waiting for gear makers to stop using those pia waternotresistantcantopenitcantcloseit zippers - so that is plus in my books. But the old models are on sale- so I guess I could deal with the old zippers.
As for the Catalyst changes - I have the single stay and it works fantastically - you aint gonna want to carry more than 40 anyways - it can, but it gets uncomfortable. And changing where the shoulder straps tie in is a minor change and I can't see how it would do much for the pack.
Had you included the Super Tioga (world greatest pack ever made in the history of the universe) I would have cast my vote for it. For a thru it would be my only option.

Rusty_S
02-05-2009, 19:21
I would have to say Catalyst because it carrries better (it fits me better) and the outer pockets are more accessible - but I think they are overpriced when compared to other packs. They are way to simple for 235.00 plus shipping. I would go with a ULA but I would look for a used one. As a matter of fact - ULA is like a car to me - I would never pay sticker price. Get a good used one. Its nice to see someone that doesn't worship ULA as their lord and savior.

Dogwood
02-05-2009, 20:58
Is that really a town or a misspelling - Mcmaynerberry? $235, catalyst, simple design but well constructed, compared w/ similar volume and featured packs, um - my thoughts exactly!

Ramble~On
02-05-2009, 23:07
Thanks for the input.
Gotta love WB.

take-a-knee
02-05-2009, 23:18
Its nice to see someone that doesn't worship ULA as their lord and savior.

Who do you worship, the Chinese? You don't like paying livable wages to Americans?

Hooch
02-05-2009, 23:22
If I ordered a ULA would I get it in time for my March 21st start date ? I recently got a ULA Catalyst and love it! Great pack! If you order now, it should ship pretty quick, all packs are in stock at ULA right now. I had mine in 5 days after it was ordered.

Hooch
02-05-2009, 23:27
Its nice to see someone that doesn't worship ULA as their lord and savior.Little melodramatic about this, aren't you? Back off the Haterade, dude. If you don't like ULA, that's fine and well, but don't **** on those of us who do. Personally, I'd much rather buy cottage gear from an American manufacturer with an excellent reputation for outstanding workmanship and customer service than some giant conglomerate company that makes their packs overseas for cheap to maximize profits back in the country they took the jobs from in the first place. So crap on Gregory and crap on Osprey. :eek::banana

Ramble~On
02-05-2009, 23:38
Little melodramatic about this, aren't you? If you don't like ULA, that's fine and well, but don't **** on those of us who do. Personally, I'd much rather buy cottage gear from an American manufacturer with an excellent reputation for outstanding workmanship and customer service than some giant conglomerate company that makes their packs overseas for cheap to maximize profits back in the country they took the jobs from in the first place.

Bingo ! The ULA is the winner.

Thanks!

Hooch
02-05-2009, 23:41
Bingo ! The ULA is the winner.

Thanks!
Excellent decision, RO. You won't regret it, I'm sure. I used mine 2 weeks ago for the first time and wonder what took me so long to get one.

garlic08
02-05-2009, 23:53
I've never heard of anyone dissatisfied with ULA packs or service, and I've seen a lot of them out there. That being said, I've never bought one because of the price! But I do patronize other American cottage industries (Gossamer Gear for packs and Henry Shires for tents).

Mocs123
02-05-2009, 23:58
I really don't think ULA is any more expensive than the major pack makers. I really want a Circuit with the new internal frame and will hopefully replace my beloved Mountainsmith Phantom with one this year.

Hooch
02-06-2009, 00:12
I've never heard of anyone dissatisfied with ULA packs or service, and I've seen a lot of them out there. That being said, I've never bought one because of the price! But I do patronize other American cottage industries (Gossamer Gear for packs and Henry Shires for tents).Yeah, you'll be hard pressed to find someone who actually owns and uses a ULA pack who is dissatisfied with thier quality or exemplary customer service.

Ramble~On
02-06-2009, 00:17
All three packs were pretty close in price and I am one to buy American when/if I still can even if that means spending more.

I have an Arcteryx RT 35 and have often wished for a similar pack with more features. I always thought the external pocket on the RT 35 would be better if it were larger and mesh. I'm sure I'd be happy with any of these packs... (although the colors offered for the new Atmos are gross)

:D I look forward to getting a ULA Catalyst and taking it on a 2000+ mile shakedown hike.

Jayboflavin04
02-06-2009, 00:33
My top choice is the gg vapor trail....second choice is the atmos 65. They are comparable in size, and weight(kinda). I got to try a GG VT on at the outfitter. They only carry a regular size in the pack. I need a large (special order no return). Which is BS because they stock the pack they should carry all three torso sizes. Wanna try to buy everything from the local outfitter....support local buisness. Am waiting to take a look at the full featured Atmos 65.

Pros cons on both
VT..
simple light and cheap
limited suspension system
atmos 65
bought a pound heavier
full featured with nice comfy suspension
considerably more expensive.

Please Help!

Lyle
02-06-2009, 03:33
I've had a ULA P2 for about 5 years now - love it. Very comfortable, easy to pack, hip pockets are an extremely good feature. No signs of wear, save one small hole in the front mesh pocket, smaller than the size of a dime. Looks like I caught it on something at some point, is not getting larger, so I don't worry about it. I would buy another ULA pack in a heartbeat, in fact, I'm planning to buy a Conduit soon for a summer pack.

ULA packs are worth every penny you will pay for it - keeps a dedicated, quality and customer service conscious company in business and designing new products.

In the corporate world, as in most places: Bigger, Cheaper is not equal to Better - Most of the time, quite the opposite.

Highly recommended.

BackTrack1
02-06-2009, 08:23
This is a good thread.
ive been in the same predicament trying to figure out wich pack to get, ive been leaning towards ULA but still cant make up my mind between the osprey atmos 65 or the grgory z55,
with all of the info here i m thinking of going w/ ULA, but im worried if i dont like it or its not what i wanted then im screwd,
im looking at the new ULA ohm, does anyone know if it compares to any of the other packs ULA makes, are they just one big compartment you stuff everything in?
what about all the open pockets on the outside, do you lose stuff out of these,
thats my main concern , stuff falling out of my pack while hiking.
any thoughts??? or suggestions? :confused:

Ramble~On
02-06-2009, 08:34
This is a good thread.
ive been in the same predicament trying to figure out wich pack to get, ive been leaning towards ULA but still cant make up my mind between the osprey atmos 65 or the grgory z55,
with all of the info here i m thinking of going w/ ULA, but im worried if i dont like it or its not what i wanted then im screwd,
im looking at the new ULA ohm, does anyone know if it compares to any of the other packs ULA makes, are they just one big compartment you stuff everything in?
what about all the open pockets on the outside, do you lose stuff out of these,
thats my main concern , stuff falling out of my pack while hiking.
any thoughts??? or suggestions? :confused:

I like to take my time before making a purchase, read reviews, look at photographs and whenever possible I like to try it on and give it a thorough looksee. It sounds like if you get a ULA and don't like it...you wouldn't have a very hard time selling it here or on another site.

John B
02-06-2009, 08:46
I have the Osprey Aether 60 and the ULA Circuit. While both are great packs, I'd have to give the nod to the ULA if for no other reason than significant weight savings.

I like being able to call ULA and talk not only to the owner of the company, but also the very guy who makes the packs and does any requested modifications.

Too, the small pouches built in to the ULA hip strap is a neat invention. My Osprey doesn't have them, but I have a 4 yr old Osprey.

Beginning hikers should note that because of its size, the Circuit requires a bit more thought given to your packing list. It's a very, very 'efficient' pack (i.e. there's not much extra space at all).

Lucy Lulu
02-06-2009, 11:48
I'll throw my two cents in on these packs. I have a couple of both the Osprey and ULA packs, and I have no complaints about either. They are both great brands.

That said, I had always thought no pack would be as comfortable as my Osprey Ariel, and I've always used it where I carried a lot of water weight or for colder hiking. Well, I am happy to say that after repeated use, my ULA Circuit has been a very pleasant suprise in handling heavier loads that I had thought it would not be able to handle as comfortably.

All of the outside pockets on the Circuit are deep and have drawstrings, so I've not had any issues with items falling out. I also really like the hipbelt pockets on the Circuit. They are larger and more easily accessed than those on my old P2.

All in all, I have to give the Circuit two thumbs up...great pack. Although I think prices are comparable, I don't mind paying a little more to support a small US vendor, and to get what has been great customer service.

Red Hat
02-06-2009, 12:34
I really don't think ULA is any more expensive than the major pack makers. I really want a Circuit with the new internal frame and will hopefully replace my beloved Mountainsmith Phantom with one this year. There is a large one on Ebay right now, unfortunately, I need small....

BackTrack1
02-06-2009, 19:10
Well,

ULA won out over gregory and osprey.

its gonna be a circuit for me also!!! :D

Kerosene
02-06-2009, 21:06
1. ULA Conduit (http://www.ula-equipment.com/conduit.htm) (3200 cubes, 17 oz, $100)
2. Granite Gear Meridian Vapor (http://www.granitegear.com/products/backpacks/ultralight/meridianvapor.html) (3200 cubes, 46 oz, $200)
3. Osprey Atmos 50 (http://www.ospreypacks.com/Packs/AtmosSeriesMens/Atmos50/) (3000 cubes, 55 oz, $200?)
4. Gregory Z55 (http://www.gregorypacks.com/us/?option=com_gregorypacks&act=product&task=details&cid=26) (3350 cubes, 53 oz, $200)

Assumes carrying less than 25 pounds of gear, sans pack.

KG4FAM
02-06-2009, 21:17
1. ULA Conduit (http://www.ula-equipment.com/conduit.htm) (3200 cubes, 17 oz, $100)
2. Granite Gear Meridian Vapor (http://www.granitegear.com/products/backpacks/ultralight/meridianvapor.html) (3200 cubes, 46 oz, $200)
3. Osprey Atmos 50 (http://www.ospreypacks.com/Packs/AtmosSeriesMens/Atmos50/) (3000 cubes, 55 oz, $200?)
4. Gregory Z55 (http://www.gregorypacks.com/us/?option=com_gregorypacks&act=product&task=details&cid=26) (3350 cubes, 53 oz, $200)

Assumes carrying less than 25 pounds of gear, sans pack.ULA counts ever bit of cubic inch they can. If you don't count the mesh then it takes a Catalyst to be comparable to the rest of those packs. My Dana Design Bomb Pack is listed as 3200 ci and looks very close in size to a Catalyst.