PDA

View Full Version : Help kids get outdoors!

sosoutreach
02-05-2009, 18:05
Hey all,

Sorry to hijack the forum for a minute, but I wanted to let everyone know about the group "SOS Outreach" on Facebook.

We're a nonprofit that gets underserved (at risk) kids involved in outdoor sports...we're based in CO, but will serve 5,000 kids this year across the U.S. and Canada.

We'd love it if you joined our group on Facebook, as having more members really helps us out when we try to tell our story to potential sponsors.

Thanks for your time & enjoy the outdoors!

cheers,

nathan

YoungMoose
02-05-2009, 18:13
Finally trying to get kids to be outside. I am considered a weirdo at my school becuase im into hiking and backpacking.

Christus Cowboy
02-06-2009, 04:44
Finally trying to get kids to be outside. I am considered a weirdo at my school becuase im into hiking and backpacking.

As a youth worker, I would have to sadly concur with Outward's synopsis here, most teenagers consider hiking and backpacking the sport of weirdom... I've taken teenagers out backpacking with me numerous times and I have gotten a kick out of their reactions when their cellphone signals go dead... it's like they vapor lock and then start having nervous twitches & spasms!

Ironically after a couple of days in the backcountry, many of them wind up aclaimating and even show a propensity of carrying on a verbal two-way conversation..... In the end, many of them wind up asking me when they can go again....

Rockhound
02-06-2009, 11:03
I've met "at risk" kids on the trail and I've also met the Abercromby and Fitch crowd. I have to say I was more impressed with the at risk group. They need it more, appreciate it more and get a lot more out of the experience. Kudos to you for what you are doing.

JAK
02-06-2009, 11:06
Finally trying to get kids to be outside. I am considered a weirdo at my school becuase im into hiking and backpacking.Another lone voice in the wilderness.

Hang in there. :)

sosoutreach
02-06-2009, 11:42
Hey guys,

Thanks for the support!

Blissful
02-06-2009, 11:53
Getting kids just to leave their games is tough. But my hubby and I have two teen events scheduled for March / April in the woods. It's a lot of work but worth it. I'm hoping one of these kids will get the vision to hike the trail one day. Or just hike in general. :)

JohnnyQuest
02-06-2009, 17:26
I help kids become comfortable with the outdoors every day at my job. We're hiring at Echo Hill Outdoor School.

Want to help?

ehos.org/employment (http://ehos.org/employment)

johnnybgood
02-06-2009, 20:11
To Sosoutreach and JohnnyQuest ; you're both an inspiration in those kids lives. Getting kids on the trail from both organizations would be awesome!

YoungMoose
02-06-2009, 20:52
Another lone voice in the wilderness.

Hang in there. :)thanks

YoungMoose
02-06-2009, 20:53
As a youth worker, I would have to sadly concur with Outward's synopsis here, most teenagers consider hiking and backpacking the sport of weirdom... I've taken teenagers out backpacking with me numerous times and I have gotten a kick out of their reactions when their cellphone signals go dead... it's like they vapor lock and then start having nervous twitches & spasms!

Ironically after a couple of days in the backcountry, many of them wind up aclaimating and even show a propensity of carrying on a verbal two-way conversation..... In the end, many of them wind up asking me when they can go again....i saw that with a kid that was forced to go a a 2 week backpacking trip. the first 4 days he was bitching non stop. but at the end he was like "wow. i am glad i did this. he was happy that he was forced to do it.

Christus Cowboy
02-07-2009, 01:29
i saw that with a kid that was forced to go a a 2 week backpacking trip. the first 4 days he was bitching non stop. but at the end he was like "wow. i am glad i did this. he was happy that he was forced to do it.

Well it sounds like your experience has been alot like mine.... As you already know, there's so much that teens can learn out in the backcountry and after doing this a couple of years now with teenagers, I have a couple of teens that I wouldn't hesitate to take out on a two week trip. One of the things that I have found so interesting is that some of the teens that I run into who think they're "so tough" can't seem to hack the mental aspect of it..... It takes them by surprise.....

What I have learned by talking and listening to teens is that the definition of "tough" in the school environment is a whole lot different than the mental toughness needed in the backcountry. It's something they are not used to and yet it is something they desperately need to weather the storms of life.....

Kirby
02-07-2009, 19:02
Good cause.

YoungMoose
02-07-2009, 20:35
Well it sounds like your experience has been alot like mine.... As you already know, there's so much that teens can learn out in the backcountry and after doing this a couple of years now with teenagers, I have a couple of teens that I wouldn't hesitate to take out on a two week trip. One of the things that I have found so interesting is that some of the teens that I run into who think they're "so tough" can't seem to hack the mental aspect of it..... It takes them by surprise.....

What I have learned by talking and listening to teens is that the definition of "tough" in the school environment is a whole lot different than the mental toughness needed in the backcountry. It's something they are not used to and yet it is something they desperately need to weather the storms of life.....i agree with the mental toughness. the same kid practically had a nervouse breakdown when is was thundering and pouring rain. But before that he acted like he was better then all of us

YoungMoose
02-07-2009, 20:35
joined the group of facebook

buff_jeff
02-08-2009, 21:51

Don't sweat it, man. My buddy called me a psycho last night. He introduced me to a group of girls as "that crazy ******* who goes out into the woods at every opportunity." :D