PDA

View Full Version : Tarp Tent!!!!

Jayboflavin04
02-05-2009, 19:08
I just ordered one today(cloudburst 2)! I AM SO PUMPED..........PLEASE LET ME KNOW HOW STUPID I AM OR HOW GREAT THEY ARE! I have read many review and I would say 8 outta 10 are thrilled with tarptents. I hear you need to tighten/restake your guy lines before turning in to keep from sagging. Any other hints on pitching my NEW TARPTENT!!!!!:banana

YoungMoose
02-05-2009, 19:10
i have never used one. i dont think i ever will. i understand it can keep u dry. i just still cant get myself to believe that

Tinker
02-05-2009, 19:18
I have camped with a number of folks on the AT who use Tarptents. No one has complained about their tents except for the condensation which can occur on the ceiling in high humidity. They all seem to deal with it by using a camp towel or bandanna to wipe it off before getting out of bed. It's a tarp with a floor and bug netting. Works as expected. I hammock - less condensation and I don't have to crawl on the ground to get into or out of my shelter. I swing my legs over and stand up. No water soaking through my floor, either. If you hike with someone else on a regular basis and like sleeping on the ground, a Tarptent is a great investment. If you hike solo and haven't tried a hammock, you owe it to yourself to at least give it a chance. You may become a convert like me. Occasionally I use a tarp and pad, but not a Tarptent. Btw, Tarptents come with line adjusters that you can adjust from your sleepig bag - sag is a fact of life with anything made of nylon.

skinewmexico
02-05-2009, 19:22
I came really close to getting one at the end of the year, and kept debating between that, and the Squall 2. Before I could choose, I found a great deal on an unused Double Rainbow. As far as the sagging, I've heard of guys using therabands on guylines to prevent that. Or those shock absorber things that trolling fisherman use. It will all come down to site selection, humidity, and wind if you have condensation.

Jayboflavin04
02-05-2009, 19:28
I talked to someone at tarptent today, and they more than openly disclosed the condensation issue! I hear it really isnt that big of a deal, and is just a fact of life with tarp tent. Especially since i live on the humid east coast.

Rusty_S
02-05-2009, 19:38
I talked to someone at tarptent today, and they more than openly disclosed the condensation issue! I hear it really isnt that big of a deal, and is just a fact of life with tarp tent. Especially since i live on the humid east coast.why wouldn't they disclose it. that is just the facts of single wall tents from any company. if you like that kind of thing then good for you. i see it as a flaw and am not going to whine about a little extra weight.

kythruhiker
02-05-2009, 19:44
I've hiked with a Cloudburst 2 for several years now - no complaints at all. I stay dry. It's been through some hella thunderstorms/heavy rain/high wind on various trails with no unusual sagging issues provided you've got reasonable ground to stake into. The ventilation is superb, and yes, you'll get some condensation due to design, but no worse that I've experienced in any of the other backpacking tents in my collection. I went from a Clip Flashlight 2 to a Eureka Zeus 2 to the Cloudburst. I keep the Zeus 2 around for when freestanding is the way to go.

I think the worst night I ever had in it was during a Trail Days gully washer storm...probably back in either 05 or 06...I wasn't staked too great due to the site, and a gust of wind pulled a stake out and drop the backend. Was a good bit of cussing involved, but restaked and it lasted out the storm.

garlic08
02-05-2009, 20:12
I haven't seen the Cloudburst, but I've had two other Tarptents and they're great. You'll learn the idiosyncracies of single wall silnylon shelters soon enough. Condensation can be avoided by staying out of areas where dew forms--damp lowlands, lakes, etc. Ridges are drier. Take advantage of as much ventilation as you can. There will probably be one or two nights you'd be better off with a heavier shelter, but the for 100+ other nights and the thousands of miles of carrying it, you'll love it.

brooklynkayak
02-05-2009, 20:17
I think people make too big a deal about condensation.

I haven't tried the cloudburst, but I almost always camp in single wall tents. I also camp mostly on the muggy East coast.
I've had condensation in cool very damp conditions. I've had ice crystals on the inside of my tent when it was near 100% humidity in the winter.
I've never had enough condensation to make life as miserable as other people find.

I have camped with people who have suffered from miserable wet condensation, but they didn't have their tent ventilated properly, either the vents were closed, blocked by gear or they were in tents that had crap ventilation.

I think the Cloudburst looks like a well designed tent with lots of ventilation.
Let the air flow and you will stay relatively dry inside, but keep a small bandanna/towel around if there is no wind and the humidity is high..

Blissful
02-05-2009, 20:33
They are nice and lightweight and mine held up great in a t-storm. Have fun with it.

Jayboflavin04
02-05-2009, 20:43
Why did you part with your tarptent?

stranger
02-05-2009, 21:41
I would strongly recommend staking the poles out on a Cloudburst, what I did was form loops of shockcord and before placing the pole into the grommet, would slide the loop around the pole. They peg out the four corners of the Cloudburst. It may require more stake point but it will set up so much better.

The only other thing I would say about tarptents is that the construction could be better, so I would seam seal every single seam that is stressesd, for added strength.

The Cloudburst is great, very roomy for 2.5lbs

kytrailman
02-05-2009, 21:45
I have a Rainbow. I bought it last January and used it ALOT last year. I love it. Super quality.

skinewmexico
02-05-2009, 23:32
The only other thing I would say about tarptents is that the construction could be better, so I would seam seal every single seam that is stressesd, for added strength.

Good plan, since they don't come seam sealed.

Jayboflavin04
02-05-2009, 23:42
I plan on seam seeaing any tent I own with that in mind. What do I buy along with the mineral spirits. It looks like regular silicon caulking from lowes, or DIY warehouse on the TarpTent website. How do I mix an apply?

Franco
02-05-2009, 23:50
All Indians are very poor, ( except for the 60,000 plus millionaires and the ever growing middle class).
The point here is that generalising does not help very much at times.
Condensation. Last time I camped close to others , the Rainbow ( as well as my Contrail) had less condensation then a nearby Macpac Microlite ( 2 wall tent...)
On a side by side comparison with other single wall shelters, the TT do very well for condensation management as they also do against some double wall tents. Keep in mind that the condensation you see inside the TTs is usually the one you don't see (and pack up) with double wall shelters.
You need to seam seal all of the Tarptents as you do with some other brands too ( for example Bibler and Black Diamond) , this is not a "fault" it is just a cost saving measure.
"i understand it can keep u dry. i just still cant get myself to believe that"
I believe that,( like several hundred others) but can't believe that some tarps can keep you dry. But others do.
Shock cords
I have pointed out several times that unlike what you hear, once silnylon is relaxed it stops stretching, so the comment " I had to get up several times to tighten the fly" ( from other threads) is just not valid. So, just put the fly in tension once it has relaxed.
However for some reason within a day two different TT users mentioned Rubber Snabbers to me, this was only a couple of days after I tried unsuccessfully to buy them in town. So I made my own with some 4mm shockcord , paperclips and gaffer tape. (they are now like a rubber band, no hooks)
I set up the Contrail in the sun with the "snubbers" in tension and left it there. The next morning the outside was covered with condensation, as was my garden furniture, but the Contrail was still nice and taut. I was happy with that.
Franco

Ramble~On
02-05-2009, 23:56
I have a Rainbow - I love it and am still amazed at the size/weight ratio.

Condensation - I started carrying a small tarp that I put up over the Rainbow and use as a covered porch over the vestibule. Gives me room to cook and have added covered space in rain, I don't have to tie the door flap shut and that helps keep condensation down to next to nothing.
The tarp also gets rid of the "misting" that can occur in any single wall during heavy rain. Tarp lets me unpack/pack out of the rain.
~ The Tarptent is so light that carrying a small silnylon tarp is worth it IMO.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=24444&catid=member&imageuser=2785

jethro
02-06-2009, 00:38
I'm looking at exactly the same setup, Ramble~On. What size tarp do you use? I was thinking about something smaller that would just serve as a "porch," and not really overlap the tent roof much.

sbennett
02-06-2009, 00:55
I plan on seam seeaing any tent I own with that in mind. What do I buy along with the mineral spirits. It looks like regular silicon caulking from lowes, or DIY warehouse on the TarpTent website. How do I mix an apply?

Can you not just use the Silnet stuff?

Rusty_S
02-06-2009, 01:04
I plan on seam seeaing any tent I own with that in mind. What do I buy along with the mineral spirits. It looks like regular silicon caulking from lowes, or DIY warehouse on the TarpTent website. How do I mix an apply?I have a tube of clear silicone for automotive purposes that I use. The stuff from lowes works too. All that matters is that it is clear silicone. Just mix it up to a consistency that you can work with. The paint thinner or whatever will just evaporate off and leave the silicone. I have always just put it on with my finger, but I guess a paintbrush might work better.

skinewmexico
02-06-2009, 01:08
Follow the directions on the Tarptent web site, or the Six Moon Designs web site, they're the same. Use 100% silicone, mix it with odorless mineral spirits. I think I did 1 part silicone to 3 parts (by weight) of mineral spirits, applied with a foam brush. I think the second one was 1-2.

Jayboflavin04
02-06-2009, 01:19
I love talkin and learnin from all you folks......Thanks for all your input.
IS IT HERE YET?????

skinewmexico
02-06-2009, 01:36
Any questions, just call Tarptent, and Henry will usually answer the phone. I had him call me back a couple of times when i didn't leave a message, off the caller ID. Great guy, great designer.

g8trh8tr
02-06-2009, 09:01
I have the Cloudburst 2. You will enjoy it, great tent.

buz
02-06-2009, 10:05
Ski new has it right. 1 part silicone to 3 parts min spirits by weight if you have scale handy. Guessing will work if no scale. Be sure to mix thoroughly and get all the silicone dissolved. Old toothbrush works well also.

Ramble~On
02-06-2009, 10:12
I'm looking at exactly the same setup, Ramble~On. What size tarp do you use? I was thinking about something smaller that would just serve as a "porch," and not really overlap the tent roof much.

The tarp that I use with the Rainbow is actually the large size tarp that came with my Clark North American Jungle Hammock. For hammocking I like to use a 10x12 sil tarp so the hammock tarp just kinda sat around until I had the idea one rainy night out in the Rainbow - don't get me wrong, the Rainbow is plenty waterproof by itself but the tarp adds a nice covered porch to cook under, enter/exit and allows the door to remain open -air flow is a good thing in any single wall. The tarp is the last thing in my pack and the first thing out..if it's raining I can set up the tarp and then set up the Rainbow under it and nothing in my pack gets drenched in the process. A 6x6 or 6x8 would work fine or you could set up your Tarptent and figure out the size tarp that'd suit you. I did weigh mine with the cord but don't remember the weight and don't want to guess but it's not much and worth it IMHO.

Equinox has a 6'x8' green silnylon tarp that weighs 9oz.

Seam Sealer.. Henry sells GE silicone and the Tarptents come with easy to follow instructions. Silicone & Mineral Spirits - ?1 part silicone into 3 parts
mineral spirits..I don't measure - I guess at roughly how much I'll need for any given application...I pour some mineral spirits into a metal mixing bowl and then add silicone, stirring and adding until it's thick but viscous enough to spread with a foam brush. ***** Be thorough when seam sealing especially around stitching. I put a grid on the floor which keeps my pad or bag from sliding around.

Jayboflavin04
02-06-2009, 10:19
Like I had said earlier I am pretty new but have been doing my reading. Friends and I are doin a 60+ miles stretch this spring. I told one of my partners about my tent and he said I could get it at wally world for 40 bucks. He bought a 5000ci pack. He Will be suckin the farts outta my butt because I am burnin up the trail with my 30lb 7day pack. While he is huffin and puffin with his 45lb back killer. IS IT HERE YET!!!

garlic08
02-06-2009, 10:36
You may find out that hiking lightweight in a group of non-lightweight hikers is not always that fun. They are two pretty different activities and don't always mix well. If you have lousy weather, you will not enjoy the downtime having to wait for your partner, who will then pitch the heavy shelter and be more comfortable than you. Don't mean to rain on your parade, just sayin'.

Jayboflavin04
02-06-2009, 11:39
The input good or bad is always appreciated, There are good points and bad points with most backpacking gear! Is always good to know and discuss what to expect!

Lilred
02-06-2009, 12:34
Like I had said earlier I am pretty new but have been doing my reading. Friends and I are doin a 60+ miles stretch this spring. I told one of my partners about my tent and he said I could get it at wally world for 40 bucks. He bought a 5000ci pack. He Will be suckin the farts outta my butt because I am burnin up the trail with my 30lb 7day pack. While he is huffin and puffin with his 45lb back killer. IS IT HERE YET!!!

There is no way you can get anything comparable to a Henry Shires Tarptent at Walmart. Your friend knows not what he speaks of :D Good choice on the tent. I've got a Squall and LOVE it.

Jayboflavin04
02-06-2009, 12:56
We have already dubbed this friend "RUNWAY". He is gonna be the perttiest on the trail. Pertty as a runway model. At least if we get abducted by banjo ppl we all know he will be the first to go!!!!:D

skinewmexico
02-06-2009, 18:05
I've heard it helps to make you first bottle of seam sealer runnier, so it penetrates the seams better.

Franco
02-06-2009, 18:22
Some think coating is better, to me it makes sense that if it is a bit runny and penetrates into the seam it will also strengthen the stitching and with less chances of peeling off.

Franco

take-a-knee
02-06-2009, 18:25
Follow the directions on the Tarptent web site, or the Six Moon Designs web site, they're the same. Use 100% silicone, mix it with odorless mineral spirits. I think I did 1 part silicone to 3 parts (by weight) of mineral spirits, applied with a foam brush. I think the second one was 1-2.

This stuff works better than McNetts, it is easier to apply a controlled bead. The McNett aplicator is designed to waste the product so you buy more.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BKEBO0?ie=UTF8&redirect=true

Red Hat
02-06-2009, 18:36
I carried a Rainbow last year in Maine. Since I am old and slow, I was always the last one in camp. There were lots of large camp groups and not enough places for tents. Thus I wound up on uneven ground in the rain. Not good for my tarptent. I can't complain about condensation, but you really need level ground to stay dry! I'm keeping it for camping out west.

Franco
02-06-2009, 19:05
Red Hat
Where was the water coming in from ?
Franco

slow
02-07-2009, 00:19
I carried a Rainbow last year in Maine. Since I am old and slow, I was always the last one in camp. There were lots of large camp groups and not enough places for tents. Thus I wound up on uneven ground in the rain. Not good for my tarptent. I can't complain about condensation, but you really need level ground to stay dry! I'm keeping it for camping out west.

This is why i like my smd duo.No chance of rain and much more room overall.

KG4FAM
02-07-2009, 00:51
This is why i like my smd duo.No chance of rain and much more room overall.duo protects from flooding? they should have had them down in new orleans during katrina.

if you really want to stay dry hammocks are the way to go

slow
02-07-2009, 01:16
duo protects from flooding? they should have had them down in new orleans during katrina.

if you really want to stay dry hammocks are the way to go

The floor HT on the duo is better plus,only really two seams on tent.

Hammock,will have plenty of time later in life.:-?

stranger
02-08-2009, 01:41
I was assuming people knew Tarptents are not seam-sealed, I was simply stating that I would seam seal any seam (that isn't necessary for waterproofing) if it's under stress to strengthen the seam. Perhaps my Cloudburst was a lemon, but I found the stiching shoddy in places.

Wags
02-08-2009, 02:23
OP i can relate to being really excited when getting new gear. congrats!

brooklynkayak
02-08-2009, 08:26
A few people have recommended bungy(elastic, shock,...) cords to keep the tent taught.
I wouldn't even consider it if there is a chance of wind. The give in the bungy will make your tent flap and keep you up at night.

It reminds me of the stories I hear of people who loose boats and other items because they used bungy cord to hold them on the top of their cars.

Wind and stretchy cord don't mix.

Franco
02-08-2009, 19:41
Hi
After having seen several comments about rubber Snubbers I went to look for them but could not find them. So I made my own. The fishing type snubbers have hooks but I preferred a loop not to have sharp metal bits about.
Material : 4mm shock cord, thick paper clips and gaffer tape.
I set up the Contrail in full sun so that the fabric will have max shrinkage, attached 5 snubbers nice and taut and left it there. I use a trekking pole and put a lot of tension on my Contrail, so when I say taut I mean really taut.
The next morning the tent, as well as my garden furniture, was covered with dew so the fabric was fully relaxed, yet the tent still looked like I left it the previous afternoon. I was impressed.
Like others I previously thought that the shock cord would not take enough of the slack but it does.
Images.
BTW one of the TT users that recommended them to me bought them and has used them on his Squall for a few years to take wind gusts, a problem where he hikes.
Snubber prototype ( eventually I will make a prettier one...)
Finished product
25 kg test (55 lbs) pic taken after 10 min
Innner after test.

http://www.cabelas.com/prod-1/0003422111782a.shtml (http://www.cabelas.com/prod-1/0003422111782a.shtml)

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e389/Francophoto/odds/DIY-snubber-1.jpg

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e389/Francophoto/odds/DIY-snubber-2.jpg

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e389/Francophoto/odds/DIY-snubber-3.jpg
Franco

stranger
02-09-2009, 21:25
The whole point of using shock cord is to deal with wind, having some flexibility, etc... It's the thickness and length of shock cord that matters, not the wind. If you use a very thin gauge in long lengths it will prove useless, but a short loop (say 2 inches) of thicker shock cord is bombproof and will deal with anything. I was referring to using shock cord loops on the bottom of the poles only - obviously you would still use the standard guy lines Tarptents come with. The cloudburst works so much better this way, give it a go and see what you think.

take-a-knee
02-09-2009, 21:48
The whole point of using shock cord is to deal with wind, having some flexibility, etc... It's the thickness and length of shock cord that matters, not the wind. If you use a very thin gauge in long lengths it will prove useless, but a short loop (say 2 inches) of thicker shock cord is bombproof and will deal with anything. I was referring to using shock cord loops on the bottom of the poles only - obviously you would still use the standard guy lines Tarptents come with. The cloudburst works so much better this way, give it a go and see what you think.

It could also prevent a seam from ripping out in a gust.

Tinker
02-09-2009, 21:55
A few people have recommended bungy(elastic, shock,...) cords to keep the tent taught.
I wouldn't even consider it if there is a chance of wind. The give in the bungy will make your tent flap and keep you up at night.

It reminds me of the stories I hear of people who loose boats and other items because they used bungy cord to hold them on the top of their cars.

Wind and stretchy cord don't mix.

FINALLY!!!!

Someone agrees with me (except for the spelling of bungee and taut). If you want stretch in your cords, use a 2mm perlon (nylon) climbing accessory cord. Just enough stretch (but it will get slack in wet weather). The bungees only work well if you stretch them to their limit.................then they don't work quite like bungees anyway.

streakerofAT
02-09-2009, 22:16
i think they rip to often i hate getting in the rain with a ripped tent

Franco
02-10-2009, 04:16
"i think they rip to often i hate getting in the rain with a ripped tent"
What ?
Do they ?
How often?
Franco

q-tip
02-10-2009, 07:41
I have been using the Cloudburst for the last three years and love it. I have not had condensation issues, I stake the tent securely when I put it up hence no sagging. The space/wt ratio is excellent. I have talked to henry shires on the phone and he worked over one weekend to get my tent retrofitted with an engineering change and overnighted it to me for a trip on the Florida Trail. Exceptional customer service. I also will be using a poncho as a vestibule in rain to extend the tent capacity.

Grampsb
02-27-2009, 09:41
Just ordered my Double Rainbow

Jayboflavin04
02-27-2009, 09:54
:banana:banana:banana Tarp Tent!!!!:banana:banana:banana

q-tip
02-27-2009, 11:27
I have had the Cloudburst II for three years and have nothing but positives to share. First, the company is all about customer service. Henry Shires worked over a weekend to make and engineering change to get my tent back to me for a FL hike. Second, set up is a breeze and take down stuffing is a 1 minute process. Third, condensation is what it is with a single wall tent, I live with it. I seam sealed the tent according to directions and have not had a seam leak since I bought it. Fourth, ample room inside for my gear and me. I value having the predictability of using my tent rather than the shelters, so the extra space makes a big difference. Finally, check out this month's Backpacker magazine. Several tarptents have been featured in the editors choice edition. I have talked to Henry Shires on several occasions, if you have any questions he is the one who usually answers the phone. Great Company!!

I am using this tent on my thru hike starting this Monday (yea!!!). If you want to meet me on the trail, look for the slow guy on the right.

Jayboflavin04
02-27-2009, 11:30
q-tip I will be in the allens gap area first week of april....hope to see you out there!!!