PDA

View Full Version : Top vs. Panel Loading Backpack

Rough
02-05-2009, 19:27
I've been using a top loading backpack happily for years. The last few summers I've carried the Six Moon Designs Starlite. Now I see that SMD has come out with the Traveler, which is almost identical to mine except that it's a panel loader. So my questions are: the Panel seems easier to load/unload since you can see everything at a glance, but how do you use a liner (such as a trash compactor bag) for waterproofing with a panel loading pack? What other tradeoffs are there for the top vs. panel?

Jack Tarlin
02-05-2009, 20:32
Only problem with a top-loader is that you have make sure the stuff you need immediate access to is where you can get at it, i.e. you don't want to have a massive pack explosion involving removing 95% of your gear so you can get at your spare batteries or food bag or whatever. This is a real pain in the ass.

The other problem, as you said, is that in a multi-sectioned bag, you can't have one single "liner" for waterproofing.

The way around this is to have small plastic several bags, one for your sleeping bag, certainly, and maybe another one for your spare clothing. You also might want to invest in a good pack cover as well.

A multi-compartment bag can work out fine for you, it'll just take a little while til you remember in which pocket you've put everything. As a general rule, bury the stuff you know you won't need til day's end. The stuff you'll want easy access to includes stuff like your camera, headlamp, extra batteries, water purification stuff, first aid kit, snacks, rain gear. You might also want to invest in some small stuff bags, and very soon, you'll always remember that the red one has your personal stuff, the green one has your snacks, etc.

As always, make sure you distribute the weight in your pack, correctly, i.e. your hips should be doing most of the work and not your shoulders. Anything on the OUTSIDE of the pack needs to be well secured so it's still there at the end of the day. And that's pretty much it.

Blissful
02-05-2009, 20:35
The way around this is to have small plastic several bags, one for your sleeping bag, certainly, and maybe another one for your spare clothing. You also might want to invest in a good pack cover as well.

I did this method and it worked fine for me. I used Reynolds oven bags for my clothes and sleeping bag as a second layer. And a sil nylon pack cover.

Chance09
02-09-2009, 20:35
i have used both the traveler and the starlite, liked them both but i absolutely love the traveler. It's so easy to pack so that it rides well since you can lay everything out in it before closing and tightening the straps.

I'd recommend the target stuff sacks for packing, makes it alot easier and they are semi waterproof. but i'd still recommend a good rain cover for your pack.

Lyle
02-09-2009, 20:56
One disadvantage of a panel loader is the possibility of zipper blow-out. I've seen it happen and it can be a pain to deal with. Top loaders are more secure in that, if the closing mechanism malfunctions, the pack is still very usable.

This shouldn't be a deal breaker, but it is one consideration - particularly if you are in the habit of over-stuffing your pack.

Tinker
02-09-2009, 21:02
The only negative I can see (and believe me, I obsess about these things) to a panel loader is that the zipper can fail. Likely? -NO. Possible? ABSOLUTELY! Am I being negative? Maybe.
I would only use a panel loader if I could be assured that my pack wouldn't "spill its guts" as it were, if my zipper failed. Usually, with a double slider, which virtually all panel loaders have, you can just zip one zipper all the way from right to left to close the bag if need be. If both fail (not likely), you'll want a pack that has some sort of compression strap or cord crossing over the zipped panel. That will make it much easier to get to town to repair the pack should it fail. Again - unlikely.
Frameless packs, in which you use closed cell foam for both a frame and pack bag holder, never have panels, so I don't have one myself.

Note: Lyle must be a fast typist! :D ;)

theinfamousj
02-09-2009, 21:59
I have an REI pack that is a hybrid. It is both a top AND a panel loader.

I used the top loading feature more when actually hiking because you have to undo your compression straps to use the panel. And my gorp/camera/TP was just not that important.

I used the panel when making and breaking camp.

I have recently gone back to a top loader only (because it saved me 4 lbs in pack weight) and don't find it that much more inconvenient.

I didn't look at the pack specs, but if the pack you are considering requires releasing all of the compression straps to use the panel ... don't bother. Just keep using a top loader. It doesn't really save you time.

kytrailman
02-09-2009, 23:39
One disadvantage of a panel loader is the possibility of zipper blow-out. I've seen it happen and it can be a pain to deal with. Top loaders are more secure in that, if the closing mechanism malfunctions, the pack is still very usable.

This shouldn't be a deal breaker, but it is one consideration - particularly if you are in the habit of over-stuffing your pack.
Does it have a zipper closure. I have the essence, which is a panel loader also. It has a drawstring closure with a panel that folds over it and secures with snap-buckles. I really like the design alot. SMD products are great.

kytrailman
02-09-2009, 23:49
Does it have a zipper closure. I have the essence, which is a panel loader also. It has a drawstring closure with a panel that folds over it and secures with snap-buckles. I really like the design alot. SMD products are great.
Nevermind- After I quit being lazy and looked I see that it is a zippered design. Panel load is very convenient. I like it better- but everyone likes somethng different.

Ramble~On
02-10-2009, 00:35
I have a couple packs that have both and honestly, I never use the panel and the zipper in my case is dead weight. I've found that it's actually easier to go in through the top. Using the panel and pulling something out means that all that stuff that's compressed in there shifts. Getting whatever it is that you took out to go back in doesn't work and in getting it back in causes me to have to force the zipper in most cases. IMO it's more trouble than it's worth. I have a pack that the entire back panel zips down, straps and all to allow access to the hydration bladder sleeve..great idea and it works great so long as the pack isn't overly full.
With room to spare it closes no problem..if there's a fair load of crap in there - forget it.
Most of my packs have a zipper along the bottom for the sleeping bag and this helps in keeping stuff organized and allows easy enough access.
I keep rain gear, clothes and other stuff I may want on top of the sleeping bag so I can get at it without having to go through the top.
For other crap, I keep it near the top and never have to dig all that much to get at anything. I've gotten in the habit of always packing my crap the same way and never have to guess where anything is.
my .02

Rough
02-10-2009, 13:02
Thanks for all the great discussion. Having never owned/used a panel loading pack I now have a good idea of the pluses and minuses. I think I 'll stick with the top-loading Starlite and yes, I too am very impressed with SMD.