PDA

View Full Version : Nestles NIDO

Jayboflavin04
02-05-2009, 20:31
Been doin some reading. Have tryed non-fat powdered milk....which tastes like white colored water. I just bought nestles nido whole powdered milk at wally world in the mexican food section. Tried it and not bad, very tolerable and 150 calories per 1/4cup that is huge!!!!

take-a-knee
02-05-2009, 21:25
That is good stuff, I mix it with Kashi granola in a ziploc bag. It blows that Mountain House stuff away taste-wise for half the money.

Tilly
02-05-2009, 21:31
How well does that dissolve? I have tried powdered whole dry milk before and it has not dissolved much at all.

take-a-knee
02-05-2009, 21:41
How well does that dissolve? I have tried powdered whole dry milk before and it has not dissolved much at all.

It works great, I think having the fat in it helps it dissolve. It even disolves great mixed with the granola, just add water and eat.

JF2CBR
02-05-2009, 22:36
Does it turn thicker than water like regular milk is? I hate, hate, hate watery milk that most powdered mixes turn into.

Jayboflavin04
02-05-2009, 23:12
I mixed it according to the directions with water straight outta the tap. Tasted kinda like room temp milk, maybe a little sweeter. Like I said very tolerable. Not the water white colored water non-fat milk powder. I dont know maybe I just know I was drinking powdered milk. All-in all I am sold!

Compass
02-05-2009, 23:15
It actually has a closer consistency to milk than the fat free/skim versions and has a tollerable buttery taste. Works great with Lipton/Knorr's

JojoSmiley
02-06-2009, 09:04
I used it with instant breakfast drink last year and it worked great even with cold water.

Mr HaHa
02-06-2009, 10:44
Couple tablespoons in dehydrated potato or cream of broccoli soup is primo. Makes it so much richer and smoother.

Old Hillwalker
02-06-2009, 11:37
I used it last summer on my trips and loved it. However the only place I have been able to purchase it has been on line. All the sources recommended by people on this site such as SuperMallWart, Hannafords, Shaw's, Dartmouth Food Coop, never heard of it. Driving the 100+ mile round trip to more populous southern NH in search of this product is not worth the cost in fuel. The best price I have found online, including shipping, runs about $10.00 per 2.5 quarts of reconstituted milk.

Pretty pricey IMHO.

russb
02-06-2009, 11:46
There is another dried whole milk called KLIM (milk spelled backwards), oddly enough it is also made by Nestle. I find it in asian groceries.

Jayboflavin04
02-06-2009, 11:49
It took me a while to find it at Wally world. It is located around the Mexican Ethnic food, coffee ect. Nestles actually markets to 3rd world countries as baby formula. We have a pretty large population of latino imports where I live. This could be the reason wal-mart carries it, if the ethnic poplation isnt there the NIDO might not be there either.

sarbar
02-06-2009, 13:50
Be wary though - they make two different NIDO lines - one is the 26% fat milk powder, the other is aimed at kidlings....the picture on the front of the can is the giveaway. If you see the smiling kids, read carefully.

NIDO blends well due to the fat, hence no lumps left behind.

Tinker
02-06-2009, 14:09
Nido is better than nonfat dry milk, especially in coffee, but my personal opinion is that Nido is to fresh milk as dried scrambled eggs are to fresh eggs. It seems to have that "cardboard" taste even though it is not packaged in paper. I prefer non-dairy creamer in coffee, but Nido is much more natural. It's ok in flavored oatmeal, but on its own it's lacking.

Btw, I got mine in a Latino food market.

Hikes in Rain
02-07-2009, 10:32
Tried it recently, and it's fantastic stuff. Not quite like fresh, of course, but certainly an acceptable substitute and far better than the no-fat powdered stuff. Took forever to find it here, though. Tried the babyfood sections, tried the latin food sections (and stores!), and finally and accidently found it in the last place I would have expected: with the rest of the powdered milk when I gave up and went to get the skim stuff!

greginmi
02-07-2009, 14:47
Just had some regular Nido on my FBC Fruity Breakfast Rice this morning. Dry skim tastes like chalk mixed with water while Nido adds more flavor and "mouth feel" (you can tell we watch the Food Network) due to the higher fat content.

Hikes in Rain
02-07-2009, 19:06
"Mouth feel" is one of the four basic methodologies of judging beer! Aroma, taste, mouthfeel, head. Hmm...works for most food, too.

hopefulhiker
02-07-2009, 19:48
I love NIDO, I wouldn't hike without it! It is great mixed up with homemade versions of oatmeal, nuts, dehydrated fruit. It can be found in the International(Latin America) section of Wal Mart.

amac
02-07-2009, 20:34
I found this stuff the other day, and bought it, based on the recommendations from this thread. Thanks all. So, now that I have it, other than the obvious uses (cereal, coffee, breakfast drink mix), what are some other recipes to use it with? (I'm no cook, and terribly uncreative when it comes to foods)

Lilred
02-07-2009, 23:22
Be wary though - they make two different NIDO lines - one is the 26% fat milk powder, the other is aimed at kidlings....the picture on the front of the can is the giveaway. If you see the smiling kids, read carefully.

NIDO blends well due to the fat, hence no lumps left behind.

What's the difference? I thought they were both the same, just packaged differently.

Farr Away
02-07-2009, 23:40
I think the difference is between dry milk and baby formula.

sarbar
02-07-2009, 23:43
What's the difference? I thought they were both the same, just packaged differently.

If I remember right (and this was 2 or so years ago!) the ingredient list was different....let me look that one up!

sarbar
02-07-2009, 23:50
I looked it up:
The Nestle Nido (Kinder Milk) (http://www.nestleusa.com/PubOurBrands/BrandDetails.aspx?lbid=2F44BE7F-0AA0-40F8-822D-FDC8E0F81E64) is much different - in fact they make 3 versions of it - as a supplement for kids up to 6 years old.

Jayboflavin04
02-08-2009, 02:38
Here is a pic of the can I bought. I might be willing to try the kinder milk also. Pic up some extra vitamans on the trail(maybe not the 1). Taste cant be that far off.

jrwiesz
02-08-2009, 05:52
I found this stuff the other day, and bought it, based on the recommendations from this thread. Thanks all. So, now that I have it, other than the obvious uses (cereal, coffee, breakfast drink mix), what are some other recipes to use it with? (I'm no cook, and terribly uncreative when it comes to foods)

May be helpful in any white sauces you may fix with your pasta meals. Put in with instant mashed potatoes, mac-n-cheese, rice dishes, to make them a creamier consistancy.

Jayboflavin04
02-08-2009, 10:36
I wanna post the recipe, but dont wanna offend sabar becauce I found it in a book. Dreamcicle shake. It is from the book "The Backcountry Kitchen" by Teresa Morrone. It tastes like a melted push-up, but doesnt really seem like a milk shake. It was pretty good. I would also go to www.cooks.com (http://www.cooks.com) and looking up a hot cocoa recipe, better than store bought in my opinion and fraction of the cost.

Shadowmoss
02-08-2009, 12:56
I actually prefer the kinder milk mix. It has more taste. I use it at home over cereal (mix up at least the night before and put in the fridge) and for cooking when it calls for milk. Easier to keep on hand than fresh milk, and I really don't cook that often.

sarbar
02-08-2009, 19:27
Hey, I wanna see it! :D Post away......I think I have that book around somewhere as well. If so, I think I have had it (or at least a similar version) and it was good.

On making cocoa recipes? Yep! Easy! There is a recipe for every cocoa lover out there - check RecipeZarr.com as well :-) I have a number up on the FBC site as well and have posted a couple here over the years. Whole milk powder works very well in them. Just add a bit of hot water, make a paste, then add the rest of the water for no lumpies.

Jayboflavin04
02-09-2009, 01:46
1 cup instant malted milk powder
3/4 cup dry milk
1/2 cup Tang
1/4 cup sugar

Add 5 tablespoons to 1 cup water.....mix extremely well, you may even wanna shake in a FB. This drink settles if left to sit, and really isnt as thick as a shake. Overall it is is pretty good, a change of pace.
I might try cutting the amount of malted milk and adding more milk powder. I think the malted milk seems a little strong in the recipe.

Grinder
02-09-2009, 09:25
I just wanted to add my 2 cents about the bias against skim milk.

It's an adjustment process. Over the years, while trying to eat a low fat, healthy diet, I have migrated from normal homogenized milk to 2 % Skim, 1% skim and finally full skim milk.

Full Confession: When I began, full skim milk DID taste like chalk water, but 2 % was tolerable

NOW: homogenized milk tastes like whipping cream.

So, I have no problem with normal fat free powdered milk. I get the SACCO brand. It does seem to mix easier. with refrigerator cold water, It's about the same as skim milk.

On the trail, I drink an instant breakfast mixed with instant milk powder and water.

I bought some NIDO to see. You can taste the milkfat in it. I think you could add olive oil to skim milk powder and be close in taste

Grinder

Dicentra
02-14-2009, 16:09
There is another dried whole milk called KLIM (milk spelled backwards), oddly enough it is also made by Nestle. I find it in asian groceries.

I saw that at the Asian grocery yesterday. They had Nido too, so I compared the labels... They are the exact same thing. Only KLIM is more expensive. :datz

Crawl
02-14-2009, 16:27
kroger has it, mexican grocery stores have it....

Dicentra
02-14-2009, 16:35
kroger has it, mexican grocery stores have it....

I've been able to find Nido reliably at Albertsons. Not sure why, but the Asian grocery (Ranch99) has it. They have the BIG cans too. Next time I need some I'll get the bigger can (3 times as much mix for $10)

Crawl
02-14-2009, 16:57
no frigs in those countries, or not many, they use it alot

Panzer1
02-14-2009, 17:43
I've never seen it in the supermarket..

Panzer

russb
02-15-2009, 10:19
I saw that at the Asian grocery yesterday. They had Nido too, so I compared the labels... They are the exact same thing. Only KLIM is more expensive. :datz

Fascinating info.

Jayboflavin04
02-15-2009, 10:48
For all you skeptics. My best friend is the pickest SOB, and he says "Dude, it tastes like milk!" He gonna do cold breakfast on the trail.

Dicentra
02-15-2009, 11:00
For all you skeptics. My best friend is the pickest SOB, and he says "Dude, it tastes like milk!" He gonna do cold breakfast on the trail.

Yup. FWIW, my hubby is Mr. Pickypants too. I've fed him Nido in pasta sauces and desserts plenty of times w/o him noticing.

Fiddleback
02-15-2009, 12:13
no frigs in those countries, or not many, they use it alot

Refrigeration probably played a role although the same countries may be thought to have issues with clean water to mix the powdered milk...so go figure. There probably is more to Nido's popularity in countries outside of North America...perhaps the smaller presence of dairy herds and a smaller dairy industry?

Ya' never know what's going to find long-term consumer popularity. In the UK, a relatively wealthy country and one that's into the 'process' of making a cup of tea, over 80% of the coffee consumption is instant. And I've read that instant coffee holds a big market share in Brazil, of all countries.:-? Neither seems logical to me. (cross reference to the thread on Starbucks starting to market their own brand of instant coffee)

I'm pretty happy with Nido and glad it seems to be a standard stock item in WalMart Super Centers' Mexican food sections. Nido, mixed with Carnation Instant Breakfast and instant coffee, along with a couple bars of Logan bread makes up my light, but high calorie, trail breakfasts.

FB

Fiddleback
02-15-2009, 12:17
1 cup instant malted milk powder
3/4 cup dry milk
1/2 cup Tang
1/4 cup sugar

Add 5 tablespoons to 1 cup water.....mix extremely well, you may even wanna shake in a FB. This drink settles if left to sit, and really isnt as thick as a shake. Overall it is is pretty good, a change of pace.
I might try cutting the amount of malted milk and adding more milk powder. I think the malted milk seems a little strong in the recipe.

Somebody on some forum (Sarbar?) shared the recipe that used vanilla instant pudding instead of the malted milk powder. I really like the stuff!:D

FB

Dicentra
02-15-2009, 12:34
Somebody on some forum (Sarbar?) shared the recipe that used vanilla instant pudding instead of the malted milk powder. I really like the stuff!:D

FB

I have a recipe that is similar (think Orange Julius) but I don't think I've posted it on any of the forums...

theinfamousj
02-15-2009, 14:34
I wanna post the recipe, but dont wanna offend sabar becauce I found it in a book. Dreamcicle shake.

I have made this drink and it is a bit weak on the flavor. Either put in more ingredients or less water if you decide to do it.

Jayboflavin04
02-15-2009, 23:33
Post that recipe.....
The recipe I posted is ok....I like the sound of the vanilla pudding better!!!! The malted milk adds a certain something that makes the recipe just ok...not YUM!!!

Also can you make instant pudding on the trail?!?! That sounds delic!

Farr Away
02-16-2009, 01:07
I've been able to find Nido reliably at Albertsons. Not sure why, but the Asian grocery (Ranch99) has it. They have the BIG cans too. Next time I need some I'll get the bigger can (3 times as much mix for $10)

After I'd had mine for a while, it started sort of 'curdling' when I stirred it into my coffee, so you may want to consider how fast you'll use it, and maybe split it up and freeze some of it right after you open it.

YMMV.

Dicentra
02-16-2009, 10:35
After I'd had mine for a while, it started sort of 'curdling' when I stirred it into my coffee, so you may want to consider how fast you'll use it, and maybe split it up and freeze some of it right after you open it.

YMMV.

I've had Milkman brand do that to me to... I think b/c it is a full-fat product it is more likely to spoil or go rancid. Use up with in a few months. I keep mine in a dark place (pantry cupboard) in the can.

Hikes in Rain
02-16-2009, 13:34
Mine's in the fridge. I use it in bread between camping.

Farr Away
02-16-2009, 15:54
I've had Milkman brand do that to me to... I think b/c it is a full-fat product it is more likely to spoil or go rancid. Use up with in a few months. I keep mine in a dark place (pantry cupboard) in the can.

That's how I stored mine, and I'd had it open maybe 4 months when it started the 'curdling'.

Dicentra
02-16-2009, 21:46
That's how I stored mine, and I'd had it open maybe 4 months when it started the 'curdling'.

Warmer and/or more humid weather will make it curdle faster too.

sarbar
02-16-2009, 22:29
Yep...I keep mine in the frig.