PDA

View Full Version : How's this sound?

HogWinslow
02-05-2009, 21:41
I love soup. Any kind of it. I've been experimenting with some quick and easy soup I can take hiking. I like this because I can package it in a vaccum bag and keep the can of chicken for a long time. All I do is dump it all into a pot, bring it to a boil and let it sit until the rice is tender. This is what I came up with-

Add 16 onces of water (2 cups) and boil
½ cup of rice
2 teaspoons dried onions
2 chicken bouillon cubes
Pepper
1 can of chicken chunks

It all adds up to (as close as I can tell)-
1.5 grams fat
36 grams of carbs
16 grams of protein
81 calories

I've tried this in the garage over my pepsi can stove and it works great. My question is do you think this is enough nutrition for hiking? I know nothing nutrition and may end up starving myself.

Thanks,
Hog

YoungMoose
02-05-2009, 21:44
u definetly need more calories. that sounds good though. ill have to give it a try

Rusty_S
02-05-2009, 21:51
It all adds up to (as close as I can tell)-
1.5 grams fat
36 grams of carbs
16 grams of protein
81 calories
Your math is off

1.5g fat * 9 cal/g = 13.5 cal
36g carb * 4 cal/g = 144 cal
16g protien * 4cal/g = 64 cal

total = 221.5 cal

you could probably use some olive oil to bump up the fat.

sheepdog
02-05-2009, 21:55
you could even add more dried veggies. Sounds good.

WritinginCT
02-05-2009, 22:16
too me that doesn't sound like a very big portion. Will that fill you up? Or are you eating something else with it?

WritinginCT
02-05-2009, 22:17
sorry -that should have been "to me" lol...

HogWinslow
02-06-2009, 00:46
It's not the best soup I've ever had but it beats going hungry. I wouldn't have this for dinner, I was thinking of a mid day meal. I was thinking of sealing it in a large vaccum bag and cutting the top off and filling with boiling water. If I was snacking along the way I think it would fill me for a mid day meal. If I can find some dried veggies I'll try those in it.

sarbar
02-06-2009, 13:52
Add 1 Tbsp olive oil and 1/4 cup dried vegetables. As well.....consider using lower sodium bouillon. 2 tsp of normal is a ton of salt. You can then add in herbs and garlic for more flavor (and salt to taste). The chicken with it's broth will add more salt/flavor as well.
I'd also bump up the onions to 1 Tbsp, but is me ;-)

Slo-go'en
02-06-2009, 14:29
As well.....consider using lower sodium bouillon. 2 tsp of normal is a ton of salt.

You need to bump your salt intake up quite a bit when its hot out, though you might not be eating hot soup then! I get a bag of corn chips to munch on for a couple of days going out of town.

sarbar
02-06-2009, 15:05
You need to bump your salt intake up quite a bit when its hot out, though you might not be eating hot soup then! I get a bag of corn chips to munch on for a couple of days going out of town.

No, no, no! You do NOT need to!

Please, everyone, take a look at HOW much sodium you actually consume at home. You get PLENTY.

I hike on well under 2,000 mg a day. You need to be more concerned with having a balanced diet - you need good sources of potassium and other minerals/vitamins. Salt is not something you need to bump up for 99.99% of the population (and if you did need to, it would be because you are an extreme athlete under Drs orders).

Most Americans consume well above the average amount (2300 mg a day). Keep yourself hydrated and nibble on food while you drink and you won't have issues. The issue lies in people becoming severely dehydrated (dark yellow/brownish pee) and stripping their body of electrolytes. This is why eating items like lightly salted potato chips, banana chips and greens are your friends. Sodium does increase thirst, which can be good if you are not a drinker - but do it in moderation.

Eating a meal with 3,000 mg of sodium is never good for any of us.

Fiddleback
02-06-2009, 19:48
This from the girl that says she bumps up her oatmeal with salt...:D:D:D

None the less, I agree with Sarbar. I haven't added salt to anything I cook in years and stopped salting everything else about two years ago. My biggest sodium intake now is diet soft drinks.

Meanwhile, back to the soup...

I've had pretty good luck dehydrating 'soups' we've made at home. I use the ' ' cause all of ours are way thick...thick enough to stand the spoon up in the bowl. They include chile, lentil and bacon, and 15-bean w/another half dozen vegies added.

FB

HogWinslow
02-06-2009, 20:20
Ok, you lost me now. Should I go with what I have or try to find low salt bouillon? From the way I read the replys this isn't a good idea.

KG4FAM
02-06-2009, 20:32
This is what Thoreau wrote about salt in Walden
Finally, as for salt, that grossest of groceries, to obtain this might be a fit occasion for a visit to the seashore, or, if I did without it alltogether, I should probably drink the less water. I do not learn that the Indians ever troubled themselves to go after it.I have never put extra salt in my hiking diet. No Gatorade either.

YoungMoose
02-06-2009, 20:47
it sounds pretty good

sarbar
02-06-2009, 22:39
This from the girl that says she bumps up her oatmeal with salt...:D:D:D

LOL!!!! OK, I stand corrected: oatmeal cannot be eaten salt free (without a ton of sugar) :D

I use Kosher salt when I do need salt for anything - the big grains react on your taste buds nicely - and you use a lot less.

Farr Away
02-07-2009, 11:21
Oatmeal I can eat without salt. Scrambled eggs? Not unless I've mixed other stuff into them - onions, mushrooms, cheese, etc. Or if I top them with salsa.

Fiddleback
02-07-2009, 12:45
All good points...all I pretty much agree with. There are many foods that need 'something.' But the problem in our food industry is that salt is pretty much added to everything, e.g., the sodium in diet soft drinks I previously mentioned.

I grew up in a household in which the first thing you did when the dinner plate was set down is salt everything. Then the dressings/sauces/gravies/etc., that themselves contained salt, were added. Then we started tasting/eating the food. It took me a long time to unlearn the taste for salt.

There are some extreme instances when an individual needs to intentionally seek more salt...but not many, IMO.

FB