PDA

View Full Version : jackets

CherrypieScout
02-05-2009, 23:10
I'm trying to decide between a Thermawrap (Montbell) and a 800 down windproof insulated jacket. They both weight about the same. I want warmth! Any suggestions?:confused:

dloome
02-05-2009, 23:23
Synthetic vs. down is like comparing apples to oranges in some situations. In generally dry conditions, (say, Sierras in August) you will probably feel 'warmer' in a down jacket than in a synthetic. But compare the two jackets in cool, wet, humid conditions, (let's say Olympic National Park in April) the synthetic jacket will tend to perform better.

I would make my decision based on the kind of conditions I plan on being in.

Jayboflavin04
02-05-2009, 23:24
I tried a montebell jacket on at the outfitter. It is quilted? Man is that a bueatiful jacket. Light as feather:D, and stuffs down into a sac that would fit into the palm of your hand (10oz). But a word of warning. The montebell down jacket I looked at ran really small. I would try them on or order a size larger, or order from a place with a good return policy. They were extremely thight fitting. And the fabric is not made for bushwacking.
It is still on my shopping list. I highly doubt the jacket I looked at was 800 fill.

Wags
02-06-2009, 01:02
maybe worth checking out moutain hardwear's hooded compressor. a sweet looking jacket

bigcranky
02-06-2009, 11:58
In theory, if they are the same weight, the down jacket would have more loft and thus be warmer. As others have pointed out, this isn't always the case in the real world.

That said, I would choose down over synthetic for most trips. I have several insulated jackets in my closet, and the light down pullover is what usually ends up in my pack.

theinfamousj
02-07-2009, 17:36
maybe worth checking out moutain hardwear's hooded compressor. a sweet looking jacket

I have it and it is a sweet jacket. But beware yee of small wrists (determined by the fact that your thumb overlaps your middle finger when you wrap your hand around your wrist) because the warming cuff on the jacket will be too big for you.

I have worn this jacket in a rainstorm (with no other raingear) and can confirm that while it keeps you warm when wet, it sure does get waterlogged.

RememberYourZen
02-08-2009, 19:46
I own a the montbell thermawrap UL, 800-fill down and its incredible. The southeast is perfect for it..and it packs up so small that you don't ever have to worry about it taking up space. Its the lightest weight jacket on the market I do believe

RememberYourZen
02-08-2009, 19:49
my fault. Mine actually isnt the thermawrap. It's the down inner. but everything i said about it still applies :)

Powder River
02-08-2009, 23:37
I have the u.l. down inner jacket from montbell, and I can confirm it runs small. Get one size bigger than what you normally wear.

daddytwosticks
02-09-2009, 08:44
I have the Thermawrap in size XL to fit my chest. Fits very comfortably but the arm length is so long it covers my hands! At least I won't need gloves! Oh, I'm 6 foot and about 195. Slightly pudgy with a barrel chest. Jacket works great for my hiking style. It replaces a 200 wt fleece but works better because it cuts the wind. I'm very happy with it.

yappy
02-09-2009, 11:28
I also confirn the MB runs small. hey forget that we Americans are BIG I also have a very nice down V from WM and the MH jacket. I got it for Xmas and I love that jacket. it has kept me warm in 0 temps. You don't want to go colder then that though.

CherrypieScout
02-10-2009, 18:26
thanks y'all. This Alabama girl does not like being cold. I have a Mont-bell wind shirt/jacket that I love. But it does seems to run small. Thanks for reminding about that.

:rolleyes: