PDA

View Full Version : How does this weight sound to start?

Just Lisa
02-05-2009, 23:30
I am planning for a 2010 thru hike and am starting to evaluate the gear I currently have. So far I have this as a starting weight, this is BEFORE food, water, clothes, etc.

Backpack, Tent, Sleeping Bag , Sleeping Pad = 13 pounds.

I am shooting to carry between 25-30 lbs. Any advice? Thanks!

Lisa

prain4u
02-06-2009, 04:09
The weight that you have listed for those four items is not a "bad" weight. (I have hiked with the same items weighing as much as 16-18 lbs). However, my guess is that those 13 pounds will prove to be pretty "heavy" on your thru hike. (Personally, I am getting too old and lazy to carry that kind of weight).

In the end, it all depends upon how much overall weight you are willing to carry and how much money you are willing to spend on some different equipment. (Lighter equipment can often cost considerably more money than heavier equipment--but not always. Sale items and used items can cut your costs).

I am in the process of upgrading all of my equipment. When I have it all assembled, my pack, hammock, sleeping bag, and pad will weigh about 6 lbs. The FULL retail cost of those items (brand new) would be approximately $700. I will get them for $400-$500. Other people will get similar items for even less.

If you are aiming for a total pack weight of 25-30 lbs, I am afraid that you are going to probably miss that mark. You are already at the halfway point--and you still have many things to add---clothes, (rain gear?), cooking gear, stove, fuel, water--and several other things. Those weights will add up pretty fast. (Every liter of water weighs about 2.25 lbs. SOME people state that you will consume about 2 lbs of food per day--but other people say you can get by with much less food weight.)

You MIGHT want to see this thread from the "Ultra-Light Hikers" section of WhiteBlaze. The thread discusses the weight of the "Big Four"--shelter, sleeping bag, sleep pad, and pack. (NOTHING says that you are required to go "light" or "ultra-light" on your thru hike--but you might get some ideas from the thread).

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3983

prain4u
02-06-2009, 05:01
Here are some more links:

The first link is a critique of a packing list (with weights of the items included). Note: This person's "Big Four" came in at about 9 lbs. and the overall weight was 25 lbs--BEFORE FOOD AND WATER!

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=44658&highlight=packing+list

A general discussion of pack weight:
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=36979

Just Lisa
02-06-2009, 09:26
thanks for the advice...I'll start checking into some lighter options!

Frick Frack
02-06-2009, 09:43
I am planning for a 2010 thru hike and am starting to evaluate the gear I currently have. So far I have this as a starting weight, this is BEFORE food, water, clothes, etc.

Lisa

My Backpack, tent, sleeping bag, and pad were as follows...
Osprey Aether 70 4 lbs 9 oz
MSR ZOID II (for me and my wife) 4 lbs 6 oz
Mountain Hardwear Fairview (horrible bag!) 1 lb 12 oz
Thermarest ProLite reg 16 oz

Total weight was 11.69 pounds which was plenty light for me but I was constantly accused of being "heavy" from all the weight freaks. I was carrying a two person tent for both my wife and self so weight could have been saved there. You could easily get down to 9-10 lbs which would make a big difference and get you to your goal of 25-30 lbs.

mountain squid
02-06-2009, 09:51
I am shooting to carry between 25-30 lbs. Any advice? Thanks!I think it will be very difficult (if not impossible) to get between 25-30 lbs, given what you already have.

1 gallon of water weighs 8#s, figure to carry at least 1/2 of that most of the time.

Figure to carry at least between 5-10#s of food at any given time.

That is at least 9# for food and water. Only leaving 3# for everything else.

Clothing will likely cover the other 3#.

Still needed:
kitchen supplies
maps
guidebook
headlamp
toiletries
first aid

Not necessarily needed, but might carry:
camera
mp3 player
cell phone
notebook/journal
any number of small items that add weight very quickly

If determined to stay between 25-30 lbs, suggest finding lighter alternatives to backpack, tent and sleeping bag.

Otherwise, stick with what you've got and scrutinize everything else to get as light as you possibly can while remaining safe.

You have alot of time to prepare before 2010. I would also suggest heading to Mountain Crossings (http://www.mountaincrossings.com/) next month when the hikers are coming through. You can see firsthand what everyone else is carrying as well as talk with a knowledgeable staff about gear.

Anyway, Good Luck and Have Fun with the planning process.

See you on the trail,
mt squid

buz
02-06-2009, 09:53
I think prain4 has given great tips on where to investigate. I think you have way too much weight. You have all the resources here to look and compare your stuff vs. other choices. $ play a part, and how you want to allocate them. Tent vs. Tarptent, down vs. synthetic, proper size pack, all items to look at. Figure out reasonable $ budget to be used on weight reduction, research choices in the 4, and I think smart choices will emerge. You also have time on your side to bag good deals, but you need to know what u want. If your pack is on the replacement list, buy it last, so you can size it right for the rest of your stuff.

Good luck,

JAK
02-06-2009, 11:25
I recommend the following target, as a maximum skin-out weight, including all gear and food and water, and boots, and clothes worn as well as carried...

Height in Feet x Height in Feet = Weight in Pounds
i.e. 5'4" x 5'4" = 5.333x5.333 = 28 pounds.

If you are somwhat overweight, its nice to cut that in half, or close to it.
If you are already a lean machine, then its not so critical, but its still nice.

My own classification, for me at 6'...
50% = ultralight (summer for me) ~ 18 pounds
75% = light (spring/fall for me, or summer with daughter) ~ 27 pounds
100% = regular (me in winter) ~ 36 pounds

When I was 190 pounds, 36 pounds was easy. At 225 pounds, 18 pounds is better.
On a long hike I would alot of weight, but it would help to at least start really light.

mtnkngxt
02-06-2009, 11:58
I'll go ahead and throw in the its just walking crowd's which includes me opinion. Plenty before us have done it with 50 to 100 lb packs. It obviously is not as easy, but it can be done. For me my comfortable weight is around 14lbs complete. However, I've spent thousands of dollars to get to where I am now. You don't have to.

I would stay away from the name brand hype on alot of things. Such as Nalgene bottles. They weight a ton and do nothing different than my gatorade wid neck bottle, plus the gatorade bottle comes with a drink.

Secondly stoves, everyone is going to have their opinion of what stove you need, honestly if you want a white gas stove great, if you like a canister your in the majority, if you take an alcohol welcome to my world. They all cook food and they all burn gas. Just make sure if you take alcohol you know which bottle you put your fuel in.:D

Sleeping bags are another great argument. The campmor 20degree down bag is hard to beat for a deal, but if you have a bag you already like then take it. I have a WM summerlite good to 30degrees. It also cost 300 dollars. Was this neccessary? ABSOLUTELY NOT. I had the money and I spent it.

Another huge issue is filtering water. I have a filter, I have chemicals, and I have my immune system. During the middle of winter I use my immune system, however during the great migration you have alot of idiots bathing in streams, sacreting waste in streams( I've Walked up upon it), and farmers using pesticides on their crops. So during the Spring I filter, and late in the summer in the south once the herd has moved through or taken up residence in a trail town near you, I use chemicals. Buy what you like use what your comfotable with.

Look at the MSR hubba people that use them love them. They weigh a decent amount, they hold up really well, and the resale market is good if you decide you dont like it.

Hiking poles are another huge thing. I have them I love them, do you need a 100-150 pair of komperdell or leki poles NO. If it makes you more comfortable when hiking then carry them.

Your going to find that there are alot of Philosophers here that push their views or want to convert you to their ways. (Hammocks are Superior). You need to get out there and just walk. Even if you only strap your pack on and go to the local gym. Try taking your pack and walking on a stair stepper. This is the equivelant of hiking some of the AT. If you can do it then great, if not then you need to rethink what your carrying.

Blissful
02-06-2009, 12:01
Is this for a March start? Looks okay to me though you would be shooting for more like a 35 lb pack weight which for March is fine. When I added up what my March start weight would be - it would be roughly 11 lbs and it includes a Gregory Jade pack, tarptent, BA pad and down bag. My pack weight with full food and water is around 31 lbs.

KG4FAM
02-06-2009, 12:02
keeping it under 30 pounds you will have no problems.

Pedaling Fool
02-06-2009, 12:08

Lisa
I've seen a lot of "guys" carry that weight and complain about it, which is why I used " " marks. You'll be fine, don't give weight another thought and you're body will adapt. Use your mind to think about other things and keep weight out.

Can you feel your ass on the chair -- only if you think about it.

JAK
02-06-2009, 12:19
Shorter people shouldn't need to carry as much weight.

Pedaling Fool
02-06-2009, 12:29
That's funny. And women shouldn't have to carry as much weight as men. They need to come up with specially designed tents, water filters, stoves.... for women.:sun

q-tip
02-06-2009, 12:47
I have the following for my thru-hike starting March 9th:

Backpack-Granite Gear Vapor Trail--2.5 lbs.

Sleeping Bag-Western Mountaineering 15 degree bag--2.5 lbs.

Pad- Thermarest pro lite 4--1 lb

Tent- Henry Shires Cloudburst II Tarptent 2.5 lbs.

I could save on the pad and the bag, but experience tells me warm sleeping is a priority. I saved alot on clothes and got my packweight to 20 lbs, 34 lbs including 5 days food and 3 liters water. I dehydrate very quickly so carrying additional water is something I have to plan for. I have repacked my bag a thousand times cutting out almost 5 lbs since I started, so over time it can get lighter. I agree, take the pack to the gym or on a trail, if your knees begin to buckle after 2 hours you will be motivated to reduce as soon as you get home. Good Luck!!!

JAK
02-06-2009, 12:51

That's funny. And women shouldn't have to carry as much weight as men. They need to come up with specially designed tents, water filters, stoves.... for women.:sunI know. Crazy idea eh.
Smaller clothing for smaller people. What will they come up with next.

Footslogger
02-06-2009, 13:03

Lisa

=================================

Your own height/weight are a factor. Have you carried this amount of weight for any distance ? 25 - 30lbs are nothing to some people but a heck of a load if you are 4'8" and weigh under 100 lbs yourself.

There are a lot of "rules of thumb", but the best generic advice anyone can give you is to research the alternatives and go as light as you can without giving up too much comfort or your safety.

I started off around 43lbs with food and water and by the time I was half way through the thru-hike, by making smart choices and swapping out my warmer clothing for lighter weight stuff, I got my total carrying weight down to around 24lbs. That made a HUGE difference in how I felt at the end of a long day.

'Slogger