PDA

View Full Version : Rewarding yourself on the trail

2011_thruhiker
02-06-2009, 10:36
Okay-as I mentally prepare myself for my thru-hike in 2011, I have decided that I will reward myself (or try too) with each section or state I complete. When I go to pick up my maildrops, I am going to visit a tavern and drink a cold dark beer in toast to the state (s) that I finnished. I understand that it isn't always possible- however, where it is applicable I will stop by.

I may just decide if I am staying in town that night to drink a beer for each state, lol. :D I refuse to sulk on the trail!

So, now it has me thinking, what are you planning to do to reward yourself or what did you do? I'm curious!

MOWGLI
02-06-2009, 10:57
A bit off topic, but I met a couple (who shall remain unnamed) in 2000 who planned to have nookie in every state. They got in a squabble in New England and missed a few. :p At least beer is dependable! ;)

JAK
02-06-2009, 11:08
LOL. That is rather funny.

But boy did they attract a crowd with the make up nookie on the Big K.
(poetic licence)

Montana Mac
02-06-2009, 11:09
A bit off topic, but I met a couple (who shall remain unnamed) in 2000 who planned to have nookie in every state. They got in a squabble in New England and missed a few. :p At least beer is dependable! ;)
Enough beer and they may have been able to also live out their plan!

Rockhound
02-06-2009, 11:12
Why limit yourself to just 13 rewards. I say whenever you come within 5 miles of a drinking establishment it is time for celebration. And don't forget to hike out of town with a pint or two. Conquering that first big uphill out of town always deserves a nip or two. Also don't be afraid to zero when you find a good watering hole. You might have to make up for any dry counties you pass through. Just 13 rewards? Honestly, you just don't sound that committed.

buckwheat
02-06-2009, 11:12
Beer ... the cause of, and the solution to, all of life's problems! - Homer Simpson

Jim Adams
02-06-2009, 11:30
I drank the whole way up the trail...think you'll find that a beer is nothing special on the AT. I rewarded myself with a surprise snack in each mail drop but then I stopped using mail drops. I finally began rewarding myself with things such as an afternoon of swimming or a movie...things that actually gave me a different type of down time.

geek

Blissful
02-06-2009, 11:50
We ate lots of food in towns. And I would get myslef two donuts from Dunkin' Donuts if available.
:)
But actually I called family to let them know I had finished another state. And I sent postcards to a second grade class that was monitoring our trip - until PA in late May - by then school had let out. But these were good mental boosters for me to keep this show rolling along.

Many Walks
02-06-2009, 12:52
I'd say don't over think it with a lot of structure. With long hours of hiking in the woods you'll have plenty of time to think about what you have a taste for. Something will pop into your mind that you just have to get and it will dominate your thoughts till it's satisfied, plus you'll have surprises along the way like waysides, little diners, etc. Seems like good food and cold drinks are always on a hikers mind and you'll have no problem finding a way to justify the reward. If nothing else, pizza, cold beer, and ice cream are ample reward for walking .2 mi or more off the trail to get it. Have fun on your hike!

Spirit Walker
02-06-2009, 12:57
Also - you may find yourself a bit disappointed in the beer selection, especially in the south. When your choice is between Bud and Bud Light, it's hard to get excited.

I agree with the idea of doing different kinds of activities when you can. I went rafting in Wesser and it was a real treat. Taking a zero and going to a movie or just sitting still and reading a trashy novel were fun escapes. Some people enjoy visits to Washington DC or New York City. A little change of pace can really rejuvenate a hike.

2011_thruhiker
02-06-2009, 13:00
Why limit yourself to just 13 rewards. I say whenever you come within 5 miles of a drinking establishment it is time for celebration.

I am not going to limit my rewards-pizza, ice cream, hot meals, etc. I am going to do those every chance I can get!

I am just trying to limit my hangovers!!!

But who knows, I am approaching my hike with the idea that it is an adventure and what may be will be! And having lots of fun meeting new people and experiance all that is there.

I know many say "hike your own hike" and I plan on doing that with a twist-hiking my own hike to be an experiance to remember for the rest of my life.

Magic Man
02-06-2009, 13:53
Here's how Boo-Boo and Music Man rewarded themselves on their '07 hike:

"We also passed the 800 mile mark, in which of course we celebrated by making our own mile marker sign out of Swedish Fish to commemorate the occasion."

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=203023

YoungMoose
02-06-2009, 14:23
i think the reward will be that you thru hiked that part of the section of the AT

Jack Tarlin
02-06-2009, 17:00
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

---Ben Franklin, 1706-90

Ya know, I have no idea if he actually really said this, and in all likelihood, he didn't (tho he was something of a rascal).

But it's one of those things that if it DIDN'T really happen, it should have.

buff_jeff
02-06-2009, 22:26
Honestly, I don't have to reward myself. Being lucky enough to hike the AT is good enough for me. Life really doesn't get any easier than out there.

YoungMoose
02-06-2009, 22:34
Honestly, I don't have to reward myself. Being lucky enough to hike the AT is good enough for me. Life really doesn't get any easier than out there.i agree

Tin Man
02-06-2009, 22:51
Honestly, I don't have to reward myself. Being lucky enough to hike the AT is good enough for me. Life really doesn't get any easier than out there.

i agree

yep, that other stuff is just a treat :)

Dogwood
02-07-2009, 01:15
The more I hear people arguing/debating about the economy the more I realize THE REWARD IS THE TRAIL!

fiddlehead
02-07-2009, 02:45
When i achieve a long awaited goal or have had a particularly rough day on my trailblazing of the trail i am working on (2nd year of work has started), I go for a Thai massage. Works for me.

Doctari
02-07-2009, 09:40
OK, that should be interesting from just in the smokies to N of Erwin where the AT crosses state lines about every 1/2 mile or so, and in some places you walk for miles with one foot in Tenn, & the other in NC.

Take a step, drink a beer, take another step, drink another beer. Yep, sounds like a plan to me. :p Can I go too?

Yea, I'm being too literal, but it is a funny picture none the less.

Have a great hike!

mtnkngxt
02-09-2009, 10:27
Massage with a Happy Ending? :D

On my section I celebrated by taking a hot shower and sitting in a recliner.

Seriously people Beer is not the key to happiness, you get way more calories from Single Malt Scotch or good ole Kentucky Bourbon! My dad always said if your going to do something do it right.:banana

Ox97GaMe
02-09-2009, 11:37
There were several ways hikers celebrated when I thru hiked.

One group of hikers (The Vermonsters) celebrated each 100 miles with a special dessert. Each would pick up a flavor of instant pudding and a 'topping' to go with it. None knew what the the others brought. That night, they would create their layered pudding treat. I was fortunate enough to partake of this ritual at the Kennebec. My donation to the treat that night was vanilla pudding and crushed oreo cookies. One of the highlights of my trip. :)

I rewarded myself in each town stop with a tall cold root beer. I didnt realize there were so many different brands until I hiked the trail. I enjoyed all of them except the Moxie Root Beer that I got in Maine. I guess that one is an aquired taste.

Lone Wolf
02-09-2009, 11:42
Moxie ain't root beer although it's made from gentian root
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUFv5ooBgPI

TrippinBTM
02-10-2009, 09:48
it's funny to me to hear an old man say "wicked good"

warraghiyagey
02-10-2009, 09:51
Moxie is gross. . . it's like a rootbeer/dishwater mix. . .

superman
02-10-2009, 11:53
There were several ways hikers celebrated when I thru hiked.

One group of hikers (The Vermonsters) celebrated each 100 miles with a special dessert. Each would pick up a flavor of instant pudding and a 'topping' to go with it. None knew what the the others brought. That night, they would create their layered pudding treat. I was fortunate enough to partake of this ritual at the Kennebec. My donation to the treat that night was vanilla pudding and crushed oreo cookies. One of the highlights of my trip. :)

I rewarded myself in each town stop with a tall cold root beer. I didnt realize there were so many different brands until I hiked the trail. I enjoyed all of them except the Moxie Root Beer that I got in Maine. I guess that one is an aquired taste.

I couldn't believe the taste of Moxie the first time I tried it. I tried it a couple more times because I couldn't believe my first taste. I thought it tasted soooo wicked bad that I can't believe people keep buying the stuff.:)

Nicksaari
02-10-2009, 19:06
i reward myself with something UL and green. so what!? you'll never change me, baby!
hopefully i'll have given that the boot before i long distance hike. with god's mercy i will overcome this terrible affliction.
what am i talking about?

Nicksaari
02-10-2009, 19:07
hey BTW: i had THE BEST and most delectable ben and jerry's flavor yesterday:

Cream Brulee'

OMG i messed my pants after having just one bite hAha!!! go and try it.

the goat
02-10-2009, 19:12
i rewarded myself with a cigarette a/b every five miles or so.

i wouldn't recommend it if you're not already a smoker, but it sure worked for me!

superman
02-10-2009, 19:24
i reward myself with something UL and green. so what!? you'll never change me, baby!
hopefully i'll have given that the boot before i long distance hike. with god's mercy i will overcome this terrible affliction.
what am i talking about?

I have no idea what you're talking about?

Ramble~On
02-10-2009, 19:49
Everyday's a holiday-Every meal's a feast every step is one part of the journey and I celebrate all of them. Milestones - x#of miles, states etc all need to be celebrated and the small things that aren't that small when you're experiencing them - like hiking a couple cold, rainy days when it's overcast and dreary the whole time - all your gear is wet and the hard climb up the mountain isn't rewarded with a nice view but a mass of swirling rain clouds - after times like that when the sun comes back out - it needs to be celebrated too...:D in short....there's no bad time for a beer, drink or other.