PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Advice on Good 2 night/3 day hikes

JamesDJIII
05-05-2004, 22:29
I've convinced a few friends to join me on a hike on or near the AT this September. We're all novices, but in reasonable physical condition.

What I'm looking for is a 3 day/2 night (or as close to that as possible) hike. Any suggestions?

MOWGLI
05-06-2004, 06:30
I've convinced a few friends to join me on a hike on or near the AT this September. We're all novices, but in reasonable physical condition.

What I'm looking for is a 3 day/2 night (or as close to that as possible) hike. Any suggestions?

Since you're from North Carolina, may I suggest Great Smoky Mountain NP. There are all kinds of opportunities to hike in the park. You could hike from one of the campgrounds up to the AT, spend a day on the AT, and then go back down again. The multitude of side trails in the park makes it a great place to hike.

Whatever you decide, enjoy yourselves. Make sure that your party is not dressed in cotton head to toe. The weather in the park is unpredictable, and a sudden storm could put an improperly dressed group in a heap of trouble.

Brushy Sage
05-08-2004, 09:55

Or consider the trek from Davenport Gap (just north of the Smoky Mt. Park) to Hot Springs. That's about 35 miles, and goes over three mountains that are 4,000 ft plus in elevation. Some great vistas, too.

Kozmic Zian
05-08-2004, 10:14
Yea.....2-3 days in NC. Why not go to Franklin, NC. Find out where you can park and shuttle up to AT near Rt 64. Go South to Standing Indian....back to Standing Indian Camp Ground...Shuttle back to your car....could drive to the Standing Indian Camp Ground. Great walk there...not too hard. Albert Mt. Southern Nantahalas are beautiful in Early Summer green. It's 2 days from Old US64 to Standing Indian Mt. Standing Indian is over 5'000ft. Find out where the Campground is.....go to forums here or check with ATC at www.appalachiantrail.org/hike (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/hike) ....Good Hiking! KZ@

Patco
05-08-2004, 21:25
Go to the Fox Creek trailhead or Massey Gap and make a 2 night, 3 day loop hike through Grayson Highlands and Mount Rogers NRA via the AT and the Iron Mountain Trail (old AT) with a connector on the Mount Rogers trail by Grindstone Campground, on VA603 and a short blue blaze on the northwest side of 603.

Temps are starting to cool by then and blueberries are abundant. Great area and good access.

From RDU: I-40 west to Winston-Salem, US52 north to I-77, then west on US58 to the Grayson Highland State park (for Massey Gap access) or at Mouth of Wilson turn north on US16 to Troutdale and left on VA603 to Fox Creek AT access.

JamesDJIII
05-10-2004, 21:06
Hmmm, lot's to consider. Thanks for all the replies, I'll look into each one.