View Full Version : Theobromine, a chemical found in cocoa mulch, can be harmful to pets

02-06-2009, 14:01

For what it's worth. Got this in an email. It is from the internet (Snopes) and though dated appears to be ture. The material is still available though places like Home Depot though they say they process theirs in such a way as to make it safe.

"This warning about the potential danger to pets posed by
cocoa mulch began appearing in our inbox in May 2003. Unlike the
majority of scary alerts spread through the Internet, there is a good
deal of truth to this one, although we know of only one substantiated
case of a pet death caused by ingestion of the substance. (In July 2007,
"Moose," a 3-year-old Labrador belonging to a Minneapolis couple, died
after eating cocoa mulch purchased at a local store."

02-06-2009, 14:40
Theobromine is found in all chocolate and cocoa products. Causes kidney problems in dogs according to this: http://www.hersheys.com/nutrition/theobromine.asp

02-06-2009, 15:06
I don't share chocolate with anyone. Always thinking of others' safety:)