PDA

View Full Version : Ultimate backpacking technology?

berninbush
02-06-2009, 16:20
Don't anybody get too excited about this idea. I haven't seen anything like it actually manufactured. This is just my idea for what I'd build for the "perfect wilderness electronics equipment" if I were designing something for use by thru hikers and others off the beaten path.

1. It would, of course, be small, lightweight, waterproof, and breakage-resistant.

2. I wouldn't incorporate a cell phone. Coverage is still too spotty in rural areas, and cell signal sucks power. Instead, I would use satellite technology like what they have for the SPOT locator. But rather than just "ok" and "911," you'd be able to send full text messages. This should be technologically feasible... if you can send a single message to the satellite, you should be able to send a digitally encoded data stream.

3. To save battery power, the satellite transmitter/ receiver will only be on when the user activates it. That way you can check for messages once or twice a day, and save your battery the rest of the time.

4. The device will have an iPhone-sized screen with a slide-out keyboard for easier typing of journal entries (which can also be transmitted via satellite).

5. It will have an mp3 player, a good digital camera, a GPS unit, and a .pdf file reader. It will have two SD card slots so that you can have your music, e-books, and maps on one card and your photos on the other (in case you want to mail one card home). The carrying case will have room to store more SD cards in case you want to swap them out.

6. It will have a built-in emergency flashlight.

7. It will be able to run on rechargeable batteries and/or common-sized disposables (AAA or AA) for flexibility in wilderness situations. It will switch itself off whenever not in use, and otherwise be designed to use power as conservatively as possible.

Basically this device is replacing your cell phone, SPOT tracker, GPS, mp3 player, camera, maps, guide books, books, and backup flashlight. (On the maps and books, I'm assuming you can get those things in .pdf format to be read on the screen.) It could be considerable savings in weight and bulk.

Can anyone think of any other improvements?

Tinker
02-06-2009, 16:26
It should be able to massage your feet. :p

Sorry, I still think anything more complicated than a map and compass is "high tech".

IceAge
02-06-2009, 16:34
It should have built-in Universal Translator for global and interplanetary hikes

It should only weigh 0.4 oz

It should have a butane lighter

It should be solar powered , maybe it plugs into a hat with solar panels on it.

It should send out an audible alarm every 5 minutes that says "I CANNOT LEAVE CIVILIZATION BEHIND AND I WILL BORE YOU TO DEATH BY BRAGGING ABOUT MY TECHNOLOGY - STAY CLEAR!"

berninbush
02-06-2009, 16:37
I thought about the lighter but decided not to get carried away.

Solar powered hat... hmm... :-?:sun

Tin Man
02-06-2009, 16:41
It should have a whine meter... the more whining, the louder the meter screams, 'stop whining!'

Tin Man
02-06-2009, 16:43
It should only weigh 0.4 oz

No, it should be an anti-gravity device and take the load off everything in your pack.

Tin Man
02-06-2009, 16:47
pretty soon netbooks will weigh less than a pound and have all those features plus 3g wireless connectivity to the net from anyplace with cell phone coverage... or just connect to a satellite phone system
...and people thought cell phones on the trail were an issue

Mags
02-06-2009, 17:01
It should be a perpetual beer dispenser and weigh less than a pound.

If it dispensed wine (not WHINE..I do that on my own quite well), I'd be OK with that, too.

berninbush
02-06-2009, 17:04
Methinks this is going to get moved to the Humor forum in short order. ;)

Any serious suggestions out there? Not that I'm not enjoying the funny ones. I'm thinking of something the size and weight of a cell phone more than a netbook.

leeki pole
02-06-2009, 17:10
I thought about the lighter but decided not to get carried away.

Solar powered hat... hmm... :-?:sun
Aw, heck yeah, you can yell "Free Bird" hold up your lighter for the encore from Skynyrd. Sorry guys, 'tis Friday afternoon. Have a good weekend.

Alligator
02-06-2009, 17:17
Aw, heck yeah, you can yell "Free Bird" hold up your lighter for the encore from Skynyrd. Sorry guys, 'tis Friday afternoon. Have a good weekend.They don't hold up lighters any more, they hold up cell phones:p.

berninbush
02-06-2009, 17:55
See, this would give you the opportunity to hold up both! :D

Jayboflavin04
02-06-2009, 18:39
Have a butt jet so you dont have to wipe and get monkey butt!!!!!!! That would save from carring TP