PDA

View Full Version : ...and its done

Mags
02-06-2009, 17:16
The little odds and ends are packed...
My maps arrived at the door while I was out hiking..
Sgt Rock and Egads forwarded me some great beta...
Arranged my shuttle (thanks Mowgli!)...
Talked to Curt and will be parking my truck...

And all is good to go.

I'll be leaving the morning of Feb 10th, hope to start the 12th.

Plan on hiking the big, bad and burly approach trail to Springer. :)

Hope to finish up about two weeks later at the Standing Bear. I'll just follow the AT three more miles from Davenport Gap.

Maybe I'll see some of you out there.

Should be fun!

Sly
02-06-2009, 17:42
Planning done the way it ought to be done, in a weeks time. Of course it helps, if it's second nature.

Sly
02-06-2009, 17:43
Oh there's that word beta again in regards to hiking. Never hear it. It means?

firemountain
02-06-2009, 18:30
I might see you, I am planning on starting feb 12 or 13 from Springer to Damascus (26 days).

I put my trip together in four days!
(I've been waiting for the unemployment checks for 16 weeks now and they finally came!)

Mags
02-06-2009, 20:16
Planning done the way it ought to be done, in a weeks time. Of course it helps, if it's second nature.

Yep. Been there. Done that. Have the t-shirt (http://www.pmags.com/joomla/index.php/component/option,com_gallery2/Itemid,36/?g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=13538). :)

re: Beta...means in depth info, usually in relation to climbing

I have a lot of climbing friends...or I am just a trendy Backpacker Magazine reader? :)

re: Starting

I'll be starting on Feb 12th at Amicalola Falls (that big, bad, burly and scary trail. ;) )..so you just might.

Of course, I have the web page up now, too:
http://www.pmags.com/joomla/index.php/Benton-MacKaye-Trail/Benton-MacKaye-Trail-Thru-Hike.html

YoungMoose
02-06-2009, 20:22
good luck

Tin Man
02-06-2009, 21:07
awesome... have fun...

and leave the beta blocker at home :D

Ramble~On
02-07-2009, 14:36
I'll be starting on Feb 12th at Amicalola Falls (that big, bad, burly and scary trail.

:eek: My God Man ! You don't mean to have us believe that you intend to carry a backpack up those awful wooden stairs and that horrible beast of a footpath that climbs all the way to Springer Mountain.....do you ?

Mags
02-07-2009, 19:11
:eek: My God Man ! You don't mean to have us believe that you intend to carry a backpack up those awful wooden stairs and that horrible beast of a footpath that climbs all the way to Springer Mountain.....do you ?

Damn it! I thought there was an escalator. That's it...the hike's off!

max patch
02-07-2009, 21:14
Last fall Backpacker mag called Springer to Neels the "toughest 30 miles of the trail" or something like that.

You're a stud!

Spirit Walker
02-07-2009, 22:13
Mags - I envy you the chance to hike, even in winter. I'm sure you'll have a good one. I wish we could join you.

Sly
02-07-2009, 22:29
Last fall Backpacker mag called Springer to Neels the "toughest 30 miles of the trail" or something like that.

For a new thru-hiker and they may be right, since it seems, many drop out there.

Bulldawg
02-07-2009, 22:44
For a new thru-hiker and they may be right, since it seems, many drop out there.

The first thirty miles are not really all that tough for someone who is a seasoned hiker or in great shape. But for someone who has not done their homework and is not expecting it; those first 30 miles or so are an a$$ kicker!!

SGT Rock
02-08-2009, 11:12
I thought that thirty miles was nice.

MOWGLI
02-08-2009, 11:14
Georgia is relatively tough compared to the couch. :p Compared to New England... it is the couch. :D

yappy
02-08-2009, 11:20
have fun Mags,,, maybe we will see you on the Azt this Spring if you are tooling around that area...:)

Kerosene
02-08-2009, 11:23
I also thought that Georgia as a whole was pretty nice and relatively easy. Of course, most people aren't in shape when they start out. I still remember a grossly overweight guy with a large pack hiking in bright red Converse All-Stars on a sunny day just south of Blood Mountain.

SGT Rock
02-08-2009, 11:31
I got my ass kicked by the AT north of Damascus back in 1997. I had a bunch of crap I didn't need to be carrying on a 30 mile hike.

So I guess experience and perspective helps. For someone that has never hiked before and has outfitted with the finest gear Backpacker Magazine suggests - that 30 miles may be the hardest trail they ever walk.

MOWGLI
02-08-2009, 11:49
So I guess experience and perspective helps. For someone that has never hiked before and has outfitted with the finest gear Backpacker Magazine suggests - that 30 miles may be the hardest trail they ever walk.

I was just being a smartass. Sorry. :o

SGT Rock
02-08-2009, 11:50
Me too. Gotta be light-hearted about this thing called hiking. It is as simple as walking.

Bearpaw
02-08-2009, 11:53
It's the "energizer" effect. The mountains are quite small, 300 ft, 500 ft, but coming one right after another, they just "keep going and going and going"....

SGT Rock
02-08-2009, 11:54
Normal advice:

Get a bag. Put all your stuff in it. Left foot, right foot.... Repeat as often as necessary.

MOWGLI
02-08-2009, 11:55
I will say... I think the BMT in GA is a tougher hike than the AT in GA.

SGT Rock
02-08-2009, 11:56
I agree with that.

Bearpaw
02-08-2009, 11:57

I would have disagreed right up until that last climb into Big Frog......

Then, I suddently thought I was North Carolina, not approaching Tennessee. Not the longest climb, but it seemed like Albert Mountain on steroids.

SGT Rock
02-08-2009, 12:01
I don't know - there is also that climb up LickLog that was damn tough.

MOWGLI
02-08-2009, 12:07
I hope to get Mags to Amicalola in time for him to reach the summit of Springer before dark. If that's what he wants to do. We'll see...

SGT Rock
02-08-2009, 12:12
It would be great to get out and see him on the trail. I get tired of typing about hiking isntead of actual hiking.

MOWGLI
02-08-2009, 12:17
It would be great to get out and see him on the trail. I get tired of typing about hiking isntead of actual hiking.

I tried to arrange to finish the last 30 miles of the BMT in conjunction with shuttling Mags. But my wife is leaving for Colorado on Friday, and I have an important meeting on Wednesday. Plus, I have to watch the pets - who are getting a bit old. Oh well....

SGT Rock
02-08-2009, 12:18
I'd love to do that last 30 miles again - just do it different than I did it the first time now that I know where the better campsites are at.

MOWGLI
02-08-2009, 12:20
I'd love to do that last 30 miles again - just do it different than I did it the first time now that I know where the better campsites are at.

Lets do it! I'd love to get out and hike some with you. Ideally 3 days. I'm out of shape.

SGT Rock
02-08-2009, 12:23
I was thinking 3 days would be good. Two campsites I would like to do - Enloe Creek and Mt Sterling. Gotta get a three day weekend. Stage a car at Big Creek and start at Smokemont.

MOWGLI
02-08-2009, 19:43
I was thinking 3 days would be good. Two campsites I would like to do - Enloe Creek and Mt Sterling. Gotta get a three day weekend. Stage a car at Big Creek and start at Smokemont.

Great, lets make some plans and do it before it gets too warm.

SGT Rock
02-08-2009, 20:01
IF I didn't have to work this saturday I would say this weekend would be perfect.

MOWGLI
02-08-2009, 20:02
PM me some dates.

Mags
02-08-2009, 23:47
I hope to get Mags to Amicalola in time for him to reach the summit of Springer before dark. If that's what he wants to do. We'll see...

Sounds like a plan. I'd love to see you, Sgt. Rock or any WBer out there. :)

generoll
02-09-2009, 09:01

Hey guys, don't go without me! Rock, do you think you can hang a hammock at Enloe Creek? Can I get one of you youngsters to carry an old mans pack up to the Balsam Mountain Trail?

SGT Rock
02-09-2009, 21:02
Hey guys, don't go without me! Rock, do you think you can hang a hammock at Enloe Creek? Can I get one of you youngsters to carry an old mans pack up to the Balsam Mountain Trail?
Might be an interesting place to find a hang. The oldest has a girlfriend and the youngest doesn't like cold weather.

Hikerhead
02-09-2009, 21:13

Very small camping area but there's trees everywhere. You'll find two trees to hang from I'm sure....maybe use the bridge to tie off one end. I'm kind of guessing that this campsite is where the bridge crosses a major stream. My memory is fading.

SGT Rock
02-09-2009, 21:14
Very small camping area but there's trees everywhere. You'll find two trees to hang from I'm sure....maybe use the bridge to tie off one end. I'm kind of guessing that this campsite is where the bridge crosses a major stream. My memory is fading.
You are on it. That is the one that on the south side of the bridge they have the old bear pole, then the bridge with two or so bear cables attached to it, and then another campsite on the far side of the bridge.

Hikerhead
02-09-2009, 21:19
You are on it. That is the one that on the south side of the bridge they have the old bear pole, then the bridge with two or so bear cables attached to it, and then another campsite on the far side of the bridge.

That's probably the coolest camp site on the BMT. One of the better swimming holes for sure but I doubt anyone will be getting into that freezing water. Mt Sterling being another good one campsite.. Sounds like a fun hike. Yall have fun and give a full report when you return.

SGT Rock
02-09-2009, 21:23
That's probably the coolest camp site on the BMT. One of the better swimming holes for sure but I doubt anyone will be getting into that freezing water. Mt Sterling being another good one campsite.. Sounds like a fun hike. Yall have fun and give a full report when you return.

That is the two campsites I would use for this section.

Nobo - Start at Smokemont after a resupply and do a 10 mile to Enlo Creek on one day. On the next do a 15 mile to Mt Sterling. And on the last day out do 6.6 (or whatever it is) to Big Creek and then walk the road to Standing Bear.

Sobo - Start at Big Creek (skip that road walk from big creek up to Davenport Gap - it sucks) and do the 6.6 straight up to Mt Sterling. Next day do the 15 miles to Enloe. and Last day do 10 miles to Smokemont and get into Cherokee for re-supply.

Hikerhead
02-09-2009, 21:35
[QUOTE=SGT Rock;775196]That is the two campsites I would use for this section.

Nobo - Start at Smokemont after a resupply and do a 10 mile to Enlo Creek on one day. On the next do a 15 mile to Mt Sterling. And on the last day out do 6.6 (or whatever it is) to Big Creek and then walk the road to Standing Bear.
You wouldn't leave a car at Big Creek? Mowgli did when we went through there without any problems. If you wanted to do it all to Davenport Gap you could drop your packs in the car at Big Creek and use the Chestnut trail to get to the AT (it's right beside the parking lot at Big Creek) and then hike to Davenport Gap and walk back to your car on the road. I came back later and picked up that little section as a day hike. But Standing Bear is probably the safest place to leave a car. You already know this...I'm preaching to the choir.

SGT Rock
02-09-2009, 21:38
You wouldn't leave a car at Big Creek? Mowgli did when we went through there without any problems. If you wanted to do it all to Davenport Gap you could drop your packs in the car at Big Creek and use the Chestnut trail to get to the AT (it's right beside the parking lot at Big Creek) and then hike to Davenport Gap and walk back to your car on the road. I came back later and picked up that little section as a day hike. But Standing Bear is probably the safest place to leave a car. You already know this...I'm preaching to the choir.
I could leave a car at Big Creek if that was where I was planning to get off. But I think for guys like Mags getting to Standing Bear is where he wants to go next - so in that case I would avoid the road walk uphill on the gravel road just to get to the AT intersection.

I've done the Chestnut Trail - going down it is a knee buster for the first 1/4 mile.

Hikerhead
02-09-2009, 21:40
I could leave a car at Big Creek if that was where I was planning to get off. But I think for guys like Mags getting to Standing Bear is where he wants to go next - so in that case I would avoid the road walk uphill on the gravel road just to get to the AT intersection.

I've done the Chestnut Trail - going down it is a knee buster for the first 1/4 mile.

Outstanding. I hope you see a bear or two...I'm o'fer in the smokies.

streakerofAT
02-09-2009, 22:13
have fun

MOWGLI
02-09-2009, 22:32

I've left a car by the Ranger Station 2-3 times. I have never had peace of mind about it. It's always in the back of my head that I might have a busted window when I return. I hate that when I'm out trying to relax in the woods. Standing Bear sounds like a better plan, even if it is 3 extra miles. We'll see...

Gene Roll wants in. And damn, if Hikerhead & DebW hadn't hiked me into the ground back in '07, I'd be done with that dang trail! :D

Jaybird62
02-09-2009, 22:34
Have fun brother.

Hikerhead
02-09-2009, 22:39
I've left a car by the Ranger Station 2-3 times. I have never had peace of mind about it. It's always in the back of my head that I might have a busted window when I return. I hate that when I'm out trying to relax in the woods. Standing Bear sounds like a better plan, even if it is 3 extra miles. We'll see...

Gene Roll wants in. And damn, if Hikerhead & DebW hadn't hiked me into the ground back in '07, I'd be done with that dang trail! :D We came too far to stop. It is/was a tough section. Don't start looking at the elevation profile, it hasn't improved any. :) You'll be starting off on fresh legs so you'll do fine.

sbennett
02-09-2009, 23:38
Oh there's that word beta again in regards to hiking. Never hear it. It means?

Aarrgh! Beta stikes again!

Mags
02-11-2009, 20:24
After 1400 miles of driving, I'm at Standing Bear. I now have Yuengling in my hand, so I am truly back in the land of Eastern hiking. :)

I had the "good fortune" to drive, more or less, in the same freakin' storm all day.
http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2008/feb/06/tornado-watch-set-much-east-tennessee/

The beer is good. :)

The journey starts tomorrow...

Jack Tarlin
02-11-2009, 20:28
Regards to everyone at SBF, tell Curtis I'll see him in a few weeks.

And have a great trip!!

SGT Rock
02-11-2009, 21:06
Good luck Mags - have fun with your trip. Maybe I can get down around Twentymile when you get that far and see ya.

sheepdog
02-11-2009, 21:14
Have a good hike Mags.

MOWGLI
02-11-2009, 21:50
After 1400 miles of driving, I'm at Standing Bear. I now have Yuengling in my hand, so I am truly back in the land of Eastern hiking. :)

I had the "good fortune" to drive, more or less, in the same freakin' storm all day.
http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2008/feb/06/tornado-watch-set-much-east-tennessee/

The beer is good. :)

The journey starts tomorrow...

Just got off the line with Curtis. See you around 10 AM.

SGT Rock
02-11-2009, 21:52
I just called Mags too - we are going to give him a place to stay when he gets on the south side of the Smokies.

Mags
02-12-2009, 10:13
THanks not only for all the help, but the good wishes, too !

Life is good..

envirodiver
02-18-2009, 22:25
I don't know - there is also that climb up LickLog that was damn tough.

Agreed the climb up Licklog is very tough, especially at the end of the day.

SGT Rock
02-18-2009, 22:31
When I hiked it last year I could see where they were flagging a relo - something with switchbacks.

But, and I don't know about when you hiked it, but the trail wasn't even well marked when I hiked it. And the ground was covered in leaves, so there was no apparent footbed. I just aimed up and occasionaly found trail markings.

envirodiver
02-18-2009, 22:44
When I hiked it last year I could see where they were flagging a relo - something with switchbacks.

But, and I don't know about when you hiked it, but the trail wasn't even well marked when I hiked it. And the ground was covered in leaves, so there was no apparent footbed. I just aimed up and occasionaly found trail markings.

I hiked it in November 2007. It was not well marked but I also saw the survey tape. I followed it for a while to see what they were up to and found no purpose in the taped areas. It didn't make for better scenery, just seemed to be off the trail. When I was there it was very dry also, and I did not find the spring that I think was supposed to be on Licklog, again as you said it may have been due to the leaves on the ground and I couldn't find the side trail.

SGT Rock
02-20-2009, 23:45
I just got back from DEals Gap looking for Mags. Went to the lodge, 20 mile, Topoco, and even went by Fontanna just in case. No sign of him. Be on the look out.

Mags
02-21-2009, 21:02
At about 12n today, Sgt Rock and I met up just past of Deal's Gap.

I did not get the last e-mail (doh!), but it all worked out. The store is not quite open at Deal's Gap, so no phone. I was going to march up to the ranger station, but that is when Rock saw me on his way up there. I saw some trail wokers who knew Mowgli. They contacted him; Mowlgi contacted Rock. Funny how things work!

All I can say, is not only thanks for the dilligence, but many thanks to him and Dixie for the wonderful hospitality shown during my stay here.

I am ready for my the last push (including borrowing a field jacket liner as it has been darn cold at night up at 4000' plus elevation!) and should be done by Friday. I am taking it easy through the Smokies for the most part.
(A friend does not expect me in Blacksburg until Sat or Sunday)

Anyway, I am in love with this trail. A wilderness experience in the southern Apps! You look into the valleys..and see NOTHING but woods. No hikers other than little old me. I've seen white tail deer, wild boars and even a black bear. Primitive camping in all but three places (one of which is .2 from the start of the AT).

Great trail. If you want to explore the southern Apps a bit off the beaten AT path..do the BMT. :)

dixicritter
02-22-2009, 10:46
Rock and Mags just left heading back out to put Mags back on the trail this morning. It was wonderful finally meeting Mags in person! He really does seem to be having a blast on this hike, which is awesome!

SGT Rock
02-22-2009, 14:24
Curtis and Rockhound - he is on his way.

curtisvowen
02-22-2009, 16:27
roger that.

Marta
02-22-2009, 19:32
Part of the hike I did this weekend was BMT (Smokemont to campsite #44). Snow on the ground most of the way. No human footprints besides our own. A great hike! I bet Mags is having a blast.

The Solemates
02-23-2009, 13:15
At about 12n today, Sgt Rock and I met up just past of Deal's Gap.

I did not get the last e-mail (doh!), but it all worked out. The store is not quite open at Deal's Gap, so no phone. I was going to march up to the ranger station, but that is when Rock saw me on his way up there. I saw some trail wokers who knew Mowgli. They contacted him; Mowlgi contacted Rock. Funny how things work!

All I can say, is not only thanks for the dilligence, but many thanks to him and Dixie for the wonderful hospitality shown during my stay here.

I am ready for my the last push (including borrowing a field jacket liner as it has been darn cold at night up at 4000' plus elevation!) and should be done by Friday. I am taking it easy through the Smokies for the most part.
(A friend does not expect me in Blacksburg until Sat or Sunday)

Anyway, I am in love with this trail. A wilderness experience in the southern Apps! You look into the valleys..and see NOTHING but woods. No hikers other than little old me. I've seen white tail deer, wild boars and even a black bear. Primitive camping in all but three places (one of which is .2 from the start of the AT).

Great trail. If you want to explore the southern Apps a bit off the beaten AT path..do the BMT. :)

its easy to get lost in the southern appalachians...just got to know where to go :) ...sounds like youre having a blast...

Mags
02-27-2009, 15:05
..and now I'm really done. :)

Tagged my truck at about 11am this morning ending my trip on the BMT. A cold, rainy last day. Now, I am sucking down coffee and eating pizza. Life ain't bad. Tomorrow I see my friends up in Blacksburg..and their beautiful new baby girl!

As I said, a wonderful trail. A bit of a PCT-like experience in the southern Apps (trail is not overly marked, need some basic navigation skills, few (3!) shelters). Do the trail if you can. Ideally, Fall (colors) or Spring (flowers) would be best..but I am not going to quibble with the gift of time I received.

The "official" ending is a road walk to Davenport Gap. I made the end of the Smokies my official ending and used the Waterville Road (one road walk is good as any..eh?), hooked up to the AT at the Pigeon Forge bridge and well, here I am.

My finish photo:

http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v2477/215/82/563440020/n563440020_2608220_2225351.jpg

ROCK: Thanks for bringing the rain pants by. Yep, forgot them in the laundry room. Doh! :o Lemme know if you want me to keep the liner here or mail it back to you

Sly
02-27-2009, 15:21
Kludos Mags. Are you going to be in KC on the 4rd?

Bulldawg
02-27-2009, 15:28
So no snow in the Smokies this weekend?

Blue Wolf
02-27-2009, 15:41
Have a great hike Mags thats a nice section you chose

SGT Rock
02-27-2009, 19:49
ROCK: Thanks for bringing the rain pants by. Yep, forgot them in the laundry room. Doh! :o Lemme know if you want me to keep the liner here or mail it back to you
Mail it back. When I realized what those pants were I realized you probably could have used them on this hike. :sun

MOWGLI
02-27-2009, 19:55
Well done Mags! Any wildlife sightings in the Smokies?

A-Train
02-27-2009, 20:55
Congrats Mags! You may have inspired me to spend my spring break in April on the BMT

Mags
02-27-2009, 21:15
Rock: Will do! Thanks again for the liner loan. It was chilly in them thar hills. :) The rain pants, esp on my last day was more of an inconvenience than a deal breaker! Now I am wearing dry cotton...ah....

Mowgli: I saw some wild turkeys!

A-train: I think you'll enjoy the trail. Other than the Smokies and near the rafting centers, I can't picture there being many people out there (even in Spring). You'll love it!

Spirit Walker
03-01-2009, 00:27
Congratulations on your hike. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Good luck on the job search now. Keep us posted.

Mags
03-04-2009, 00:40
I posted the photos with the captions:
http://www.pmags.com/joomla/index.php/component/option,com_gallery2/Itemid,36/?g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=19364&g2_page=1

..and this not related to the Benton MacKaye Trail per se, but it is part of my trail experience. I am happy for my friends and make a good surrogate uncle. Skip if you don't want to read anything non-trail related. :)

Anyway, the day I finished the BMT, I shaved my beard (and head!), and drove up the following day to Blacksburg to see two close friends. I held the chuppah (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chuppah) at their wedding, spent more off-trail miles with Nahum (along with our friend Dave) than probably anyone else, etc. They were due to have their first child while I was on the trail. Their daughter was born the day BEFORE I finished! Long story short, they still wanted to see me. So, I was able to see their daughter at 1.5 days old. For a single guy like me..that is almost too scary. :D

Here's the photo that will probably make Momma "I want grandchildren" Mags way too excited. ;)

http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v2477/215/82/563440020/n563440020_2613051_5581495.jpg

My friends continue to have beautiful children. I continue to enjoy playing the role of honorary uncle. Less expensive and more fun. :p

As for a job. We'll see. I am scheduled for a consultation in Denver next week. I may be working for my old company in a different area. If I don't find a job by say..May..the Canadian Great Divide Trail is looking good. :)

Homer&Marje
03-04-2009, 08:48
A true adventurer you are Mags. Great trip it sounds like, and stick to being the honorary uncle. That's what I am, and believe me your right when you say it's cheaper:D Two days of having a kid costs as much as a few weeks on the trail (Amortized over time to include age, stupidity, and gray or bald spots caused)

Guess that last one isn't a problem for us. Nature has taken it's course.:rolleyes:

MOWGLI
03-04-2009, 09:10
Hey Mags, about .1 or .2 from where the BMT starts in GA there is a plaque on a rock dedicated to the trail's namesake. Did you walk past it and not see it? I don't see an image of it in your gallery.

http://www.trailgallery.com/photos/1367/bmt%20plaque.jpg

SGT Rock
03-04-2009, 09:25
Sign was missing when I hiked through last year. Mags said it is still gone.

Mags
03-04-2009, 11:18
Sign was missing when I hiked through last year. Mags said it is still gone.

Yep. Did not see it. I looked for it. :(

MOWGLI
03-04-2009, 11:30
Bastards prolly stole it for the recycling value. :mad:

Homer&Marje
03-04-2009, 19:00
Bastards prolly stole it for the recycling value. :mad:

It might have been worth something before the quote un-quote financial crisis. But not now.

Marje works for a Recycling company and the price of EVERYTHING fell or reversed. They are getting paid to take in stuff now that they used to pay out for. I thought a Recycling company and Data Shredding company would be INVINCIBLE to the economic downturn but apparently no one is safe. But my father just picked up another multi family house on bank foreclosure to Rehab over the next year. That's what carpenters and contractors alike should be doing across the country right now for work. Don't build new. But fix what's there, in the end it can be just as profitable.

So. For the next year I have 2 part time and one full time job. But it's really 3 full time jobs. Apologize now for the rant.:D:D

MoBill122
03-05-2009, 11:23
The BMTsign was there on 10-12-08, I took a picture of it that day.

Noticed the sige at the Bryon Reese parking lot is missing, or was last time I was there.

MOWGLI
03-05-2009, 11:37
It is still there. Mags and SGT Rock apparently aren't observant hikers. :D

max patch
03-05-2009, 11:50
It is still there. Mags and SGT Rock apparently aren't observant hikers. :D

I did the Springer loop with my family last fall and I somehow missed it too. I was going to point it out to the boys and realized when we reached USFS42 that I had missed it.

Mags
03-05-2009, 13:04
Apparently it is easy sign to miss! :)

max patch
03-05-2009, 13:18
Apparently it is easy sign to miss! :)

Not really. I'd like to say "you can't miss it!" but......

RITBlake
03-05-2009, 18:21

Many would drop out if the trail did loops at the local high school running track if that's where the trail took them. The dropout rate ain't the the trail, it's the people walking over it.

RITBlake
03-05-2009, 18:22
btw, I'm insanely jealous, a nice two week ramble would be just what the doctor ordered right about now. The cool thing about having a thru hike and other back packing experience under your belt is that when you get the urge to go, you can do it in just a few days (if not hours)

Get some food, check over your gear, and out you go.

Mags
03-05-2009, 19:19
Get some food, check over your gear, and out you go.

Indeed. I had a lot of help, though. Egads, Rock and Mowgli sent me info and/or hooked me up with help and advice. (I may be an experienced backpacker...but every area has a different set of challenges!)

In any case, I'm not gonna lie: It was cool to do a 300 mile hike on essentially a few hours of planning total. :) (Next time though, I am going to go with my gut instinct and get new shoes BEFORE I start hiking. I forget how those day hikes, weekend backpacks and after/pre work hikes add up on the shoes. :o)

Homer&Marje
03-05-2009, 20:05
Also insanely jealous. I went out for 24 hours and it helped. But I need something longer soon. Plus, have to break in the new pack and new boots. Different problem than your having altogether :D

SGT Rock
03-05-2009, 20:19
Actually I know where to look for it. But there was actually a post there with nothing on it when I hiked by.

RITBlake
03-05-2009, 22:37
Mags you're going on the AT right?

Mags
03-06-2009, 00:00
Mags you're going on the AT right?

Not that I am aware of. :) I just did the BMT of course. Depending on my finances/job status, I am thinking of the Canadian Great Divide Trail in July.

I am backpacking in Utah and Arizona at the end of this month.. woo hoo!

RITBlake
03-06-2009, 00:07
Not that I am aware of. :) I just did the BMT of course. Depending on my finances/job status, I am thinking of the Canadian Great Divide Trail in July.

I am backpacking in Utah and Arizona at the end of this month.. woo hoo!

aww crap that what's I get for reading too quickly! :datz

Mags
03-06-2009, 00:19
aww crap that what's I get for reading too quickly! :datz

No worries. I've done worse! :)

The photos are on my website if you are curious. I plan on putting up the journal next week. I am doing a quickie slide show tomorrow night at the Rockies Ruck, too!