PDA

View Full Version : Never Winter vs S.S Down Hugger 3

darkage
02-06-2009, 18:27
I'm Tossed between two bags right now ...

Marmots Never winter 30deg at 2 lbs 2 ounces ...
or
Montbell's S.S Down Hugger #3 at 2 lbs 4 ounces ... both long sized ...

Does anyone know the loft on the hugger #3, their website doesn't list ...

Which bag is overall better? ... I'd plan to order it from montbell direct, or if i'd decide the marmot ... i got a campmor trip planed tomorrow ... but they don't sell montbell from what i've noticed.

"I'm really interested in the super stretch material"

Sly
02-06-2009, 18:44
Super stretch is great especially if you have wide shoulders. If you go with the Montbell check Prolitegear, they often have sales.

darkage
02-06-2009, 20:43
Yeah, i'm on the bigger side of size's so thats what had me leaning towards the montbell .... 6'4 ... ex football/baseball player in my youth ....

SteveJ
02-06-2009, 20:52
when i was in the market for a 0 deg bag, I tried out both the Marmot and the Super Stretch. I felt confined in the SS (I'm a pretty big guy, and a little claustrophobic). Went with the Never Winter....

jrwiesz
02-06-2009, 21:44
when i was in the market for a 0 deg bag, I tried out both the Marmot and the Super Stretch. I felt confined in the SS (I'm a pretty big guy, and a little claustrophobic). Went with the Never Winter....

Marmot, never felt confined in my Sawtooth.:sun

Marmot also make a wide version if so inclined.

darkage
02-06-2009, 21:45
Yeah, i looked over the dimensions closely and after looking on prolite like sly suggested i went an picked up ---

https://www.prolitegear.com/site/montbell_ul_super_stretch_down_hugger_4_long.html

They have a 30 day return, If i find it too snug and restrictive and not what i had in mind i'll simply return it and go for the marmot ... I'll try the marmot bag out tomorrow while at campmor and get an idea vs the montbell when it arrives ... If i like the mont tho, i couldn't pass that up ... we'll see.

slow
02-06-2009, 21:52
From what i hear 6'2 is the max for MB.

darkage
02-06-2009, 22:20
Listed at 6'4" for the long ... it'll be close for sure ... i'm closer to 6'3 without my boots on so we'll just have to see .... I've looked at bags for awhile now and respect others input ... and the most clear cut answer to any question is simply try it out for yourself ... so, i am. =]

But its always nice to hear others experiance with the same items ...

slow
02-06-2009, 22:59
Listed at 6'4" for the long ... it'll be close for sure ... i'm closer to 6'3 without my boots on so we'll just have to see .... I've looked at bags for awhile now and respect others input ... and the most clear cut answer to any question is simply try it out for yourself ... so, i am. =]

But its always nice to hear others experiance with the same items ...

Well if you got the coin WM and be done.:D

bigcranky
02-07-2009, 22:57
I like WM, my wife likes Montbell super stretch. (She's had WM.)

The Montbell bags feel a little odd the first time you get in one. They feel close, without a lot of space, but it's an illusion -- the stretch feature lets you move around about as much as you want without restriction. Dragonfly moves a lot as she sleeps, and often sleeps on her side with her knees pulled up -- all made possible by the stretch.

That said, at 6-2 I find the Long bag to be a little short on me. I've tried both the #3 and the #0. But it may be that I'm not used the stretch feature. (But laid side-by-side, my long Western Mountaineering bag is about one full baffle longer than her MB bag. Go figure.)

darkage
02-07-2009, 23:02
Dragonfly moves a lot as she sleeps, and often sleeps on her side with her knees pulled up -- all made possible by the stretch.

Another reason i ordered the MB, i tend to sleep on my side and knee's curled also ... If it doesn't fit ... i'll prolly go WM or marmot .... i tend to like the marmot stuff ... and seen a few nice bags at campmor today ... gotta go back in a month or so and they will have the 2009 stuff in ...

Sly
02-07-2009, 23:33

That's odd, I see the Never Winter long with a 64" girth and the Montbell SS #4 long at 75.6"

buz
02-08-2009, 12:14
I will be very surprised if you fit length wise. I am 6' even and have the long MB #2 ss. I have room in the bottom, but not much. IMO, these are great bags, but for you, if you are bigger, be very careful on the temp ratings. Again, IMO only, if you stretch these bags because of your size, the ratings may be optimistic. I am not big guy, 170#, and personally the #3 didn't keep me warm at 30, its' rated comfy temp on a test sleep. I think the bag may have had fill issues. Anyway, I got the #2, and it is way warmer than 5 degrees difference. Draft collar and a lot more down. If you think you may sleep in the 20 degree range, I would recommend the #2. Good luck.

darkage
02-16-2009, 13:57
After just going on a gut feeling and reading alot of reviews and comments, like i said in a previous post found a U.L S.S Down Hugger #4 .. 35 degree bag for spring/fall ...

The only concern was, will i fit ...

The answer is yes ... my feet are in the box and head fits nicely in the hood without pulling fabric at all ... its very very compressable and soft ... i love the material too ... like sleeping wraped in silk ...

The winter sleeping bag is coming next!!

P.S ... I know its a 35 degree, but like some of you have said its not gonna keep ya warm that low ... which is prefectly fine ... this is for spring/fall and summer itself.

optimator
02-19-2009, 15:29
I'll bet you'll love it. I have a UL SS #2 in a long. I'm 6'1", 190 and it fits like a custom. I've slept into the teens with it in only a base layer. I'm a VERY warm sleeper so this is JMHO. MB bags rock :banana