PDA

View Full Version : How will the current state of the economy change thru-hikes?

Bidwell
02-06-2009, 19:45
With the economy being in the state that it is in, has it affected anyone on here to postpone a thru-hike? Think there will be more thru-hikers this year or less?

I am marking off my calendar for 2010 to do a SB thru hike starting in June/July. I will be asking my employer for that time off, half of me says that they would be happy to see me attempt a thru-hike and then come back when you are done, and the other half of me thinks that they won't be able to guarentee me a job when I return.

I certainly hope they say the 1st thing, but a lot can happen between now and next year. Anyone else having the same issues? Regardless of what they say, I don't really care what the economy is like next year, I am still focused on a 2010 SB thru hike. But again, a lot can happen between now and then...

Rockhound
02-06-2009, 19:56
It wont change it at all. The economy will allow people to hike that would not have and prevent others that would have. I suspect the numbers wont change too much

Frog
02-06-2009, 19:57
cant say about thru-hikers but it has put a damper on a lot of my week end trips that i take this time of year.

Bidwell
02-06-2009, 20:03
It wont change it at all. The economy will allow people to hike that would not have and prevent others that would have. I suspect the numbers wont change too much

Could be true... it seems that the kind of folks that have their eyes set on a thru-hike wouldn't let the economy get in their way. Could be totally off though!

Mags
02-06-2009, 20:04
..rumor has it laid-off IT workers will hike the BMT, bum around Arizona and Utah and quite possibly hike Canada's Great Divide Trail...

CrumbSnatcher
02-06-2009, 20:20
..rumor has it laid-off IT workers will hike the BMT, bum around Arizona and Utah and quite possibly hike Canada's Great Divide Trail... the CGDT is on me and the ole' ladys hit list! mags i hope you have a blast where ever you decide to hike.

YoungMoose
02-06-2009, 20:49
i dont think anyone will change their plans. considered to 6 months of living your regular lifestyle. The AT is cheap

Blissful
02-06-2009, 21:57
If I have opportunity now for more work (like I'm getting now with some open doors for book ideas) I will take it. That means I may have to likely scale back my planned section hike later this spring to one week and perhaps even my 2011 hike to make book deadlines. But so be it. Some things take priority. As is a common adage here, the trail isn't going anywhere. But a career and jobs sure are. My brother lost his in December right before Christmas of all times and he still can't find work.