PDA

View Full Version : Early May at Katahdin

TJ aka Teej
05-06-2004, 14:12
The Perimeter Road was only open to the foot of Abol Hill, the Kettle Pond trails were open - loaded with deer, moose, and coyote tracks and scat. Tented at Sunday Pond, just south of the Park entrance, full bright Moon, whippoorwills, loons, and loud loud peeps. You can see the cairn on Baxter Peak from here with binoculars, pretty windy but still a nice campsite.
There's still snow on top, not too much though for this time of year. Do not count on the AT opening early - a Ranger needs to check it out in person, and they have other things to do opening weekend. Streams are down, inside their banks, with the footbridges in fine shape from Abol Bridge to Nesowadnehunk Stream. Hurd Brook was crossed with dry feet. Still cold, frost Weds morning, ice under the bog bridges. Woods were pretty dry, fire danger 'high' said Smoky. Lots of Moose on the roadside, be careful driving up 95 and on Rte 11.
Abol Bridge will NOT be open to cars until at least Memorial Day weekend, the repairs are taking much longer than expected, hikers can still cross in foot. They might add a night shift to move things along.
Lots of logging going on between the AT and the river. 30+ pickups were parked on the Greenville side, all belonging to logging crews according to bridgeworkers. They're stockpiling logs until mud season ends and the bridge reopens. The Millinocket mill will open up again then. The noise from chainsaws and tractors near the spring (scheduled for June MATC worktrip) was unbelievably loud and seemingly close, the only downer of the trip. A girl and her dog were hiking out from Rainbow Lake, she had her walkman cranked to drown out the logging noise!

lobstergrrrl
05-11-2004, 03:01
Bridge still closed to vehicles, open to foot traffic if you're not in a hurry to crosss. I waited almost an hour each way before making it over.

TJ aka Teej
05-11-2004, 08:45
Hey Lobstergrrrl,
They've really torn it up, haven't they? Where'd you hike to?

lobstergrrrl
05-11-2004, 15:09
Hey there Teej,

The dog and I hiked into Bluberry Ledges first. A few mud holes to skirt around, but nothing serious. Because we were in and out in less that 90 minutes, I decided to cross Abol bridge and check out the southbound AT. We hiked up to Rainbow Ledges and had a picnic. The view was overcast, but still nice. Felt good to be on the trail again after a long winter.

I'm thinking about an overnighter Shirley to Moxie Pond road this weekend, if I can arrange a pick up at the Moxie pond end. Have you heard how high the Piscataquis River is? The Penobscot looks about normal, so I'm hoping that holds true for most other rivers right now.

lg

TJ aka Teej
05-11-2004, 16:10
Hey there Teej,

The dog and I hiked into Bluberry Ledges first. A few mud holes to skirt around, but nothing serious. Because we were in and out in less that 90 minutes, I decided to cross Abol bridge and check out the southbound AT. We hiked up to Rainbow Ledges and had a picnic. The view was overcast, but still nice. Felt good to be on the trail again after a long winter.

I'm thinking about an overnighter Shirley to Moxie Pond road this weekend, if I can arrange a pick up at the Moxie pond end. Have you heard how high the Piscataquis River is? The Penobscot looks about normal, so I'm hoping that holds true for most other rivers right now.

lg

I haven't heard anything, but I bet you're right about the Piscataquis.
Sounds like you two had a nice hike, have fun this weekend!