PDA

View Full Version : Sierra Designs Lightning XT 2

optimator
02-07-2009, 01:40
Has anyone seen one of these yet? I want a 2 man, 2 door freestanding tent. I'm also looking at the Hubba Hubba. I've not yet owned a full mesh tent. I can understand the pros of one, but what about the cons?

Whiskyjo
02-07-2009, 01:49
Buddy of mine uses a S D Lightning and swears by it, I use the REI Quarter dome almost the same specs. Check it out also.

Summit
02-07-2009, 10:10
The original SD Lightning is my current tent and has a lot of mesh. There are definitely pros and cons. It would probably not be real comfy in winter, but all the 'mesh tents' are aimed at reducing weight and condensation, at the expense of warmth.

Also, most of the nearly all mesh tents' flies are designed so that when it's raining, you have to zipper the fly shut and cannot watch the rain (this is the case with the SD Lightning). I miss that. I recommend looking for a tent that is < 4 lbs and has a fly design that allows you to be able to look out during a good rain. This makes extended confinement to the tent during bad weather much more enjoyable. It looks like from the pictures of the new model 'Lightning' that this might be possible if the tent is pitched in the right direction (blowing rain), but given that the wind shifts a lot in the mountains, it may or may not be the ideal solution.

While I really like my Lightning, I'm thinking of getting the REI Camp Dome for cold weather.

http://www.rei.com/product/731378

At 5 lb 6 oz, it's a little heavier than ideal, but price and reviews are +s. The fly design will definitely allow for 'rain gazing!'

Ramble~On
02-07-2009, 11:22
2 doors,30 sq ft, 41" peak and right at 4 pounds for a mesh body with full coverage fly. It'd be a pretty nice solo castle to stretch out in.
It doesn't look like there are any vents in the fly but it does look like the doors in the fly could be rolled up part way even in rain.
Some top vents and a window in the fly would be nice.
I've been looking at one of these and trying to rationalize why I'd buy another tent:rolleyes: (I have a couple) I figured I'd use it at the beginning of my hike when the nights are longer and colder - condensation is more of an issue and then switch over to the Rainbow or hammock later on.
The Lightning XT 2 is about 24 ounces heavier than my Rainbow. Double walls do have advantages over single. I really haven't started spending money on gear for my upcoming hike - I have plenty enough gear but it would be nice to treat myself to some new stuff :D and help the economy!

optimator
02-07-2009, 15:18
Yeah, both of these tents are pretty close to each other. The wall angle is the main difference that I can see. The Hubba Hubba appears to have steeper walls at the top, so maybe it gives just a little more headroom. Nobody has the SD around here, but I have tried out the MSR. I'll probably go with it.

optimator
02-07-2009, 15:22
I meant to say the MSR's walls are more straight up & down than the SD...

Ramble~On
02-07-2009, 15:25
Hubba Hubba is a well loved tent by those who use it.
Plenty of reviews to support that.

Summit
02-07-2009, 18:50
Hubba Hubba is a well loved tent by those who use it.
Plenty of reviews to support that.Hey, I just thoroughly enjoyed your gallery - perhaps the best I've seen on WB!