PDA

View Full Version : suggestions for a day hike out of Harrisonburg

tenbeer
02-07-2009, 11:01
I will be day hiking in the SNP tommorow 02/08. I will be hiking with my 20 year old daughter from JMU, her boyfriend, two more teenage daughters and my 6 year old son. My son is the most experienced hiker of the bunch. His range is generally about 5 miles. He has done the Mcafee day hike at 7 miles in and out. I would like to do a 4 to 5 mile in and out hike. I am familiar with the SNP, I section hiked from Waynesboro to Harpers Ferry last year, but I am not familiar with the pullouts and destinations from Skyline drive. We will have a time frame of about 5 hours. We will be driving up route 33 and entering the parkway at Swift run gap I believe. My daughter says she wants to see views. I remember Stony Man was a nice view but the hike was pretty simple. I would like something a little more challenging for their experience. Anyone that is super familiar with the area, and can offer suggestions, your help will be greatly appreciated. All partys are in physical shape to hike all conditions. Thanks

Blissful
02-07-2009, 14:00
The only challenging mountain summit is Old Rag but that is outside the park. You are already on the ridgeline, so there isn't any huge hike to a mountaintop unless you drove down to Thorton Gap and did Marys Rock from the gap.

Another option is heading south on the Skyline drive from Swift Run toward Loft Mtn and doing Rocky Mount, Rockytop, Brown Mtn or one of those peaks - there are nice views from the scree areas looking back at the park and toward the Shenandoah valley.

johnnybgood
02-07-2009, 14:48
I don't know how you feel hiking an out and back hike but I'll suggest Bear Church Rock on distance,(9.9 miles roundtrip) and its location from Swift Run , about 10 miles north to milepost 55.3 which is Bootens Gap.