PDA

View Full Version : Would you carry a women's prolite pad?

Powder River
02-07-2009, 15:04
Last year a good friend of mine (who shall remain unnamed) was carrying the pink women's thermarest. He said he bought it because it was rated warmer, and was roughly the same weight. You have to give the guy a lot of credit for being brave!

So now, thermarest's new women's prolites are purple, which is enough of an improvement that the thought actually crossed my mind. The R value on the women's regular is 2.8, compared to 2.2 for the mens, at one ounce more. The prolite plus is even more dramatic, at 4.6 for the women's compared to 3.8 for the men's, at the exact same weight. The price is even 5 dollars cheaper for the women's version! :-?

I have to say it is very tempting. Who's gonna know anyhow, aren't shelters always dark?? :D

Wags
02-07-2009, 15:15
i'm having the same dilemna with women's pants. i found a bunch of women's convertibles on sale and in good colors, but, they're women's pants.

hurts the manhood thinking about it

i say go for it, then let me know that you do so i can not feel as bad about buying women's pants :D

Powder River
02-07-2009, 15:29
i'm having the same dilemna with women's pants. i found a bunch of women's convertibles on sale and in good colors, but, they're women's pants.

i say go for it, then let me know that you do so i can not feel as bad about buying women's pants :D

Now that DOES sound like a bigger dilemma! Are there any flower prints, feminine colors or strange features to them? You can't hide pants in the bottom of your pack all the time, you know.

This is all purely hypothetical at this point for me, which is why I was hoping I could draw courage from someone else here. The ego would need a lot of reassurance on this one...

Mercy
02-07-2009, 15:29
I still remember my cousin's comment as he watched my male next door neighbor leaving for his morning jog in his hot pink shorts.... "Wow, he must be really secure in his manhood!":D

Powder River
02-07-2009, 15:34
I still remember my cousin's comment as he watched my male next door neighbor leaving for his morning jog in his hot pink shorts.... "Wow, he must be really secure in his manhood!":D

That's a compliment, right?

scope
02-07-2009, 15:44

Yes, your cousin was right I think, he probably only wore hot pink because those particular shorts were better at securing his manhood.

;):D

Desert Reprobate
02-07-2009, 15:51

As long as you have the hips for them

daddytwosticks
02-07-2009, 15:59
If a guy wears women's pants, his boys will shrivel......google it!:(

warraghiyagey
02-07-2009, 16:02
I've carried their tampons - :sun

Jayboflavin04
02-07-2009, 16:50
Thanks for the tip....I wouldnt have a problem using one. Do it!

Quoddy
02-07-2009, 16:54
The women's ProLite is an excellent choice for colder conditions. BTW, the color has changed to PURPLE for '09.

Franco
02-07-2009, 17:41
Some thought that it was a bit peculiar when I bought mine, I just thought that it was much comfier and warmer than the Prolite 3...
( I have referred to that colour as "salmon red" )
The W version happens to be my size ( once I add my pillow at the end of it) so no need for the longer and slightly less padded MEN's version.
Franco

Wonder
02-07-2009, 17:42
I saw plenty of guys carrying them! THey are more comfortable, and warmer......it's the trail, not fashion! Otherwise, I surely would have been kicked out for all of the clearence lime green and coral I've wore!

theinfamousj
02-07-2009, 18:26

It may hurt more than just the proverbial manhood. As a woman who occasionally wears men's pants (because of the cut of the rear section) I have to say that women's pants are generally less generous in the crotch area. I'd imagine that may be a bit constricting, depending on your :: how do say this delicately :o :: "manhood" space requirements.

Try on the pants before you buy, ne?

Franco
02-07-2009, 19:15
A friend uses woman's nylon panties ( I have not verified this...) because they are very light and much cheaper than the Ex Officio or other outdoor specific men's underpants. I guess that I am not manly enough to contemplate being rescued or otherwise found out wearing those.
Franco
From the softer side of tough

skinewmexico
02-07-2009, 20:00
No, because the POE Max Thermo is so much more comfortable to sleep on.

Monkeywrench
02-07-2009, 21:03
If she was cute and asked nicely.

dloome
02-07-2009, 21:15
^^ Oh man, I scrolled down real quick and everything, but you beat me to it. :)

take-a-knee
02-07-2009, 21:27
Hell, I'd carry the pink one if it is warmer and lighter. Purple? No problem. This won't work for a tall person 'cause they are shorter.

sheepdog
02-07-2009, 21:31
A friend uses woman's nylon panties ( I have not verified this...) because they are very light and much cheaper than the Ex Officio or other outdoor specific men's underpants. I guess that I am not manly enough to contemplate being rescued or otherwise found out wearing those.
Franco
And he's stuck with that story ever since his wife found them in his glove compartment. :D

YoungMoose
02-07-2009, 21:34
spray paint it lol

Powder River
02-07-2009, 22:15
Hell, I'd carry the pink one if it is warmer and lighter. Purple? No problem. This won't work for a tall person 'cause they are shorter.

Shorter! I knew there had to be a catch here. And I thought thermarest was reserving their special mojo lightweight tech just for the ladies.

Wags
02-08-2009, 02:23
i decided against the pants - they hit too close to home ;)

Marta
02-08-2009, 07:09
Shorter! I knew there had to be a catch here. And I thought thermarest was reserving their special mojo lightweight tech just for the ladies.

Shorter is not necessarily a problem. I'm several inches longer than the sleeping pad, but if you factor in bent knees and the head resting on something besides the pack, it's okay. The women's pads are longer than the 3/4 and half length pads.

brooklynkayak
02-08-2009, 07:51
I often make the mistake of using womens deodorant, toothpaste or other feminine product. I hear that and having a pink thermarest will make you sterile.

WritinginCT
02-08-2009, 11:27
I do find some humor that men that are willing to go out in to the woods and not bathe and wear the same clothes and eat out of a ziplock bag for extended periods of time are going to be concerned about the color of the sleeping pad they are using. Especially one that is warmer.

The male ego is such fragile lil'thing isn't it?

Jayboflavin04
02-08-2009, 13:04
Not mine....I am gonna save 10 bucks and some weight! IM SOLD! Function over fashion. If i could tolerate it i would do a CC foam pad, I wake up stiffer than a board on CCF.

zoidfu
02-08-2009, 13:09
I use a purple down sleeping bag. Who gives a $%&@?

Powder River
02-08-2009, 14:02
I use a purple down sleeping bag. Who gives a $%&@?

So do I, actually. :D

But that brings up another point... with this pad I would have MATCHING purple pad and sleeping bag... :eek:

Live the Journey
02-08-2009, 17:09
My take on a guy with a hot pink thermarest is:

1. He's smart...because the warmth to weight ratio is better
2. He's secure in his masculinity...because he's pleased to carry a hot pink sleeping pad
and
3. He's got a sense of humor...I wonder if he's single?

Tinker
02-08-2009, 17:19
Why in the world does a company have to market a pad in a particular color to appeal to one sex or another? It's not like you WEAR the thing anyway.
Nevertheless, I bought a small shocking pink climbers pack at REI years ago because it was what worked for me, size and feature-wise. It just so happened that climbers were hot for things in shocking pink the year before and the fashion changed. SCORE! :)
Buy the pink pad! Probably easier to find in camp.

Blissful
02-08-2009, 18:26
I use a men's Montbell jacket. And man it has long arms and a tight chest. :)
But it was cheaper then the women's model!!!

We need another gov't intervention - Equal price for equal goods.

sofaking
02-09-2009, 11:13
i used a pacific outdoors womens pro-lite with wings/and panty liner something or other sleeping pad last year until nh.- what sold me on it was the extra padding in the hip and lower back area, it was lighter weight than a regular 3/4 pad but almost a foot longer. if only the quality were there, the welds around the valve and a few other places kept seperating. if i find another 'womens' sleeping pad that has all the features i want, i'll buy it- don't care what color it is. i also have a terrible pink pack that i picked up years ago, a gregory 'rock lobster'- it was only fitting that it was pink.

boarstone
06-12-2009, 16:50
On the pink pad...just a thought...anyone looks at you funny or makes a remark, look'em right in the face and say..." I support cancer survivors...and you?

leeki pole
06-12-2009, 17:14
Look, guys, major league ballplayers use pink bats, all the golfers wore pink in honor of Phil Mickelson's wife last week at the Colonial to promote breast cancer awareness. I ain't got a problem with it, and I wear a pink shirt from time to time myself. Real men can wear pink. But I really like those cool camo jerseys the Padres wear on Sundays.

Matteroo
06-12-2009, 18:07
i will use a women's product if it is superior to what is available in 'mens', when it comes to any outdoor pursuit when it makes a difference. plain and simple, no debate. just, any clothing or boots, womens is different, you have to account for it. but.. sleeping bag, pad, pot, hat, backpack, whatever, if it does the job better, cheaper, etc.

El Toro '94
06-14-2009, 22:13
Hell yeah I would use it, already have a women's sleeping bag(it fits and is warm and 750 wt down and I only paid $130 for), probably going to buy mine in the fall. I'm secure enuf in my manhood to wear a pink pack, hell may even paint the one I have now just for the attention.
Just don't ask me to use anything colored burnt orange:p. I'll tote rocks in my pack, freeze to death and even give up beer:eek: before that happens.

Dr O
06-14-2009, 22:16
I often make the mistake of using womens deodorant, toothpaste or other feminine product. I hear that and having a pink thermarest will make you sterile.

Women have their own toothpaste???

You mean I don't have to worry about getting yelled at for not doing that roll from the bottom thing anymore?

sarbar
06-15-2009, 17:26
On the pink pads....the back side is the same color as any other Prolite :p If you use one, just roll it color in (the normal way of rolling up). Not like anyone will notice.

yaduck9
06-15-2009, 18:50
Franco

Hummmm, its always my friend does this or my friend has this problem..:D
Come on...fess up!;)

I must confess I bought this bright magenta fleece hoodie because it was on sale at REI. Never did get the nerve to wear it in public.

I would'nt buy the womens sleeping pad, buy a Big Agnes insulated air mattress. Much more comfortable and warmer. Yeah its a bit heavy but it only comes in one color, BLACK. :banana

Franco
06-18-2009, 00:15
Here we are . My pink mat and a flash of Lycra underpants.
Kind of embarrassing to me that my trousers dry faster than my underpants but cannot get enthusiastic about buying the Ox Officio underpants that I like. Even at "staff" price they are still not that enticing. Might try Merino wool/nylon mix when the price is right (Ice Breaker or Macpac)
My friend shall remain anonymous since he does occasionally post on an other forum. And yes, he is very sure of his masculinity.
Franco
(thankfully I was wearing underpants in that shot)
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e389/Francophoto/odds/No-cooking.jpg

m6amba
06-18-2009, 05:28
heck yeah i'd pick up the "pink" womens pad, it looks red to me
and it rolls up the same size as my prolite3 short.....

but if i got one, i might be able to convince my wife that sleeping on the ground isnt that bad after all.

hmmmm

Chowder
06-18-2009, 16:56
haha, if anyone gives you grief, tell them you are colorblind and you always thought the pink pad was light green.

skinewmexico
06-18-2009, 18:04
Franco
(thankfully I was wearing underpants in that shot)

Understatement of the day!!!