PDA

View Full Version : whats your favorite section of the florida trail?

calculating infinity
02-07-2009, 19:58
if you had a chance to hike any section of the FT at no cost to you which would you go for? id like to do big cypress myself.

wahoo
02-08-2009, 00:58
I'm a fan of St. Marks, but it's a hard call. The Blackwater section is really great too. Dunno, I kind of like all of it!

chiefduffy
02-08-2009, 06:43
For me, the section along the Suwannee can't be beat - outstanding scenery, white sand beaches for camping and swimming, and it's not FLAT!

Gray Blazer
02-08-2009, 21:44
Chief, how was Lake Butler? Anybody have Prez pay off?
I can't really answer the question. I'll hike anywhere if it's not the buggy season.

chiefduffy
02-09-2009, 07:29
Lake Butler was a cool little town. Hiked north from there 10 miles or so, pretty nice hike - all planted pines. Some blazing issues where they have widened logging roads and seemed to have targeted every tree with those odd orange marks on them....

BumpJumper
02-20-2009, 18:19
Chief, where do you hike around Jax?

MOWGLI
02-20-2009, 19:25
St Marks NWR.

chiefduffy
02-21-2009, 03:52
BumpJumper, I havent really found much hiking in Jax yet. I'm sure there's some good hikes around here, but most I've found are too short. I've mostly been dayhiking the FT sections that are within 1 1/2 hours drive from here.

Gray Blazer
02-21-2009, 10:58
We need to organize the group and do a day hike from Etoniah Creek to Rice Creek and also visit the Bardin Booger Museum.

chiefduffy
02-22-2009, 05:46
Me and my friend Angie (no trail name yet) are doing the Etonia section today.:banana

She's still kinda nervous about the wilderness, so I haven't told her about the Bardin Booger.... But I'm hoping for my first bigfoot sighting:eek:!!!

Jeff
02-22-2009, 11:07
Dayhiking north of Tamiami Trail....have seen more wildlife in a few days than my entire hike of the AT!!!

Gray Blazer
02-22-2009, 21:36
Me and my friend Angie (no trail name yet) are doing the Etonia section today.:banana

She's still kinda nervous about the wilderness, so I haven't told her about the Bardin Booger.... But I'm hoping for my first bigfoot sighting:eek:!!!
Did you pass that big stone picnic table in the middle of nowhere? Right near there is where I had my encounter.

chiefduffy
02-23-2009, 03:52
Yeah, I passed that picnic table. I have no dreaming idea why it is there. Since we walked NB, I was desperate to see bigfoot by then. I watched carefully for footprints, and gave him every opportunity to show himself. Unfortunately, no luck this time. Nice section, tho. That (Iron Bridge) is one of the best shelters I have seen on any trail, will have to camp there sometime.

Gray Blazer
02-23-2009, 08:36
That (Iron Bridge) is one of the best shelters I have seen on any trail, will have to camp there sometime.

Wasn't it nice of them to build a house for Big Foot? Blaze was really adamant that she was not going inside the shelter for some strange reason (and you know how enthusiastic she is about everything else). That would be a cool place for FL WBers to have an overnite party/get together.

jnetx
02-23-2009, 09:49
Did you pass that big stone picnic table in the middle of nowhere?

I remember that table. When we slackpacked through that section we had stopped and restarted at the trailhead just south (or I guess east) of the table. I was ahead and stopped for a little break at the table even though we had just started out. I waited for my hiking partner to catch me up, and when he got there he mentioned he thought some hunter's dog may have got wind of him as he kept hearing a baying/barkling. We listened a while and sure enough heard it in the distance.

I set off again with my partner not too far behind me. The walk to the next trailhead was uneventful except I did keep hearing the barking. I stopped again at the next trailhead to wait (because the trail goes out on the road there and we always made sure we were fairly close together on the roadwalks). Just before my hp caught up I started hearing funny stactic clicking buzzing kind of noises. When he arrived I told him about it, but we couldn't figure out what it was, all he could hear was the barking which had definitely got louder and closer.

Suddenly a bloodhound, handler and several heavily armed men and women appeared. We were quickly surrounded, but they assured us everything was OK. They asked where we had hiked from, and could they see the soles of our boots. There response was rather profane.

The dogs were tracking dogs, and the clicks and buzzes I heard were their radios. Apparently there was a multi force escaped prisoner scenario exercise going on. They had been following my hp's tracks the previous day, and lost it at the trailhead. Having had no joy with other tracks overnight they had decided to pick up the best trace they had had the previous day, obviously shortly after we had set out again. Sure enough they had found the fresh footprints and set off in pursuit again.

They sure weren't very happy at the false trail, but after they had called it in and they'd calmed a bit they explained that it was actually very good practice for them, and asked us again exactly where we had hiked and when. A minute or two later a fleet of police and prison vans and trucks with dog cages in arrived, they all quickly loaded up and set off again to try somewhere else.

It was all over in a bout 10 minutes, but added a bit of excitement to our day. :D

jnetx
02-23-2009, 09:53
That would be a cool place for FL WBers to have an overnite party/get together.

It would be, and I think i suggested that last fall. The majority appear to prefer a location that can be driven right up to. Maybe it would be a better location idea for a group of hikers! ;)

Gray Blazer
02-23-2009, 10:01
I remember that table. When we slackpacked through that section we had stopped and restarted at the trailhead just south (or I guess east) of the table. I was ahead and stopped for a little break at the table even though we had just started out. I waited for my hiking partner to catch me up, and when he got there he mentioned he thought some hunter's dog may have got wind of him as he kept hearing a baying/barkling. We listened a while and sure enough heard it in the distance.

I set off again with my partner not too far behind me. The walk to the next trailhead was uneventful except I did keep hearing the barking. I stopped again at the next trailhead to wait (because the trail goes out on the road there and we always made sure we were fairly close together on the roadwalks). Just before my hp caught up I started hearing funny stactic clicking buzzing kind of noises. When he arrived I told him about it, but we couldn't figure out what it was, all he could hear was the barking which had definitely got louder and closer.

Suddenly a bloodhound, handler and several heavily armed men and women appeared. We were quickly surrounded, but they assured us everything was OK. They asked where we had hiked from, and could they see the soles of our boots. There response was rather profane.

The dogs were tracking dogs, and the clicks and buzzes I heard were their radios. Apparently there was a multi force escaped prisoner scenario exercise going on. They had been following my hp's tracks the previous day, and lost it at the trailhead. Having had no joy with other tracks overnight they had decided to pick up the best trace they had had the previous day, obviously shortly after we had set out again. Sure enough they had found the fresh footprints and set off in pursuit again.

They sure weren't very happy at the false trail, but after they had called it in and they'd calmed a bit they explained that it was actually very good practice for them, and asked us again exactly where we had hiked and when. A minute or two later a fleet of police and prison vans and trucks with dog cages in arrived, they all quickly loaded up and set off again to try somewhere else.

It was all over in a bout 10 minutes, but added a bit of excitement to our day. :D

Good story!

Let's have a fall campout/party at the shelter next fall.

chiefduffy
02-23-2009, 15:34
Great story! That stretch of trail/roadwalk definitely has a weird feel to it.

...We might still have time for a spring one, Gray.......:-?

Gray Blazer
02-23-2009, 21:16
Great story! That stretch of trail/roadwalk definitely has a weird feel to it.

...We might still have time for a spring one, Gray.......:-?

I'd like to try Rice Creek hiway 100 to hiway 20. I might have this Sunday open. Let you know by Wed.

warraghiyagey
02-23-2009, 21:22
I favor Anna Maria Island.

Gray Blazer
02-23-2009, 21:24
I favor Anna Maria Island.
You just wanna see Gator Gump.

Lone Wolf
02-23-2009, 21:26

great guy. tell him i say hello

Gray Blazer
02-23-2009, 21:31
great guy. tell him i say hello
I'm gonna look him up at that Berries place in Bradenton. I'll tell him for ya.

warraghiyagey
02-23-2009, 21:41
Actually I heard his name when I was down there but didn't get a chance to meet him.

Gray Blazer
02-23-2009, 21:42
Actually I heard his name when I was down there but didn't get a chance to meet him.
You came to FL and didn't contact me? What's up with that?

warraghiyagey
02-23-2009, 21:45
You came to FL and didn't contact me? What's up with that?
It was a whirlwind tour brother. . . sorry about that. How bout ya come visit in Boston and we'll make it up to ya.:sun

Gray Blazer
02-23-2009, 21:45
It was a whirlwind tour brother. . . sorry about that. How bout ya come visit in Boston and we'll make it up to ya.:sun
Sounds good. Peace out!

chiefduffy
02-24-2009, 04:11
I'd like to try Rice Creek hiway 100 to hiway 20. I might have this Sunday open. Let you know by Wed.

I meant we still have time for a spring campout at Iron Bridge Shelter.
But I'm always up for a hike - let me know!